NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Thu May 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:I just got Residency: Days 16,586.93 → 18,026.93 ^8.7%

18,000 days is nearly 50 years!

I presume that has nothing to do with the issue (Nazi sympathizers plan rally, so what gives?

Where did you get that number from? Your Residency counter is only 12.52 days.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Thu May 12, 2016 9:28 pm

Frenequesta wrote:

I presume that has nothing to do with the issue (Nazi sympathizers plan rally, so what gives?

I think it displayed it in minutes for some reason. I saw that happen once, but I don't remember if it was with the same issue. I don't even remember for sure which nation it was. British West Zuzunia, I think.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri May 13, 2016 3:25 am

Frenequesta wrote:

From my issue results, duh!
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri May 13, 2016 8:49 am

That internal number looks to be minutes instead of days.

The difference is 1440 which is how many minutes there are in a day.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri May 13, 2016 8:57 am

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Why does abolishing Inheritance Tax exterminate Tourism and Environmental Beauty? It took forever for me to recover it, and now it's all gone. Just look at my Tourism after the inheritance decision! My Environmental Beauty is even worse!
It doesn't make any sense!
Luna Amore wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:That is quite the drop, I'll have to look into that.

There is a flaw in the underlying calculations that will need to be fixed. [v] is looking into it.

Looking back, I realize I didn't explain it at all last time it came up for you. Basically there is a fundamental flaw in most rankings. There's a midpoint that around which the rankings will be skewed like this. [v] knows about it, but doesn't have an easy solution. You can see in your history that you've been slingshotting around this midpoint for a while with tourism.

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:-and why isn't this thread marked with the Sticky flag?!
We have a lot of stickies and this one has stayed on the front page naturally. I'm also hesitant to sticky a thread that the staff hasn't paid too much mind to lately (sorry by the way). I still occasionally look this over, but most complaints seem like variations on stat changes that have already been answered/are sufficiently answered by other players.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Fri May 13, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Fri May 13, 2016 12:17 pm

"Spare the Rod, demand welfare activists" #148
Deciding not to ban corporal punishment lowers civil rights. This is starting to get frustrating - I never know when banning the act in question will raise or lower my civil rights.
Last edited by Skappola on Fri May 13, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Fri May 13, 2016 12:28 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Why does abolishing Inheritance Tax exterminate Tourism and Environmental Beauty? It took forever for me to recover it, and now it's all gone. Just look at my Tourism after the inheritance decision! My Environmental Beauty is even worse!

To add to what Luna said: From what I can see, it wasn't that issue that caused those massive drops. They both came a day or two before. Your environment got gutted on an issue & option that you should expect to fairly drastically reduce it (hint: think drilling). But the tourism drop came from the calculation issue Luna's talking about.
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 pm

Skappola wrote:"Spare the Rod, demand welfare activists" #148
Deciding not to ban corporal punishment lowers civil rights. This is starting to get frustrating - I never know when banning the act in question will raise or lower my civil rights.

It basically comes down to different groups being affected by your decision in contradictory ways, combined with what your stats looked like prior to answering the way you did.

Outlawed
Civilian

Founded: Dec 01, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Outlawed » Fri May 13, 2016 6:04 pm

To add on to this, banning corporal punishment somehow decreased authoritarianism for me, even though the effect explicitly states that "Parents live in fear of governmental 'child protection' squads." It should increase the number if you ask me.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Postby Frenequesta » Fri May 13, 2016 11:22 pm

Now here's a doozy:

#305.1 (Who's Occupying What)--Lifting the ban on child labor decreases economic freedom?

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Sat May 14, 2016 12:22 am

Outlawed wrote:

To add on to this, banning corporal punishment somehow decreased authoritarianism for me, even though the effect explicitly states that "Parents live in fear of governmental 'child protection' squads." It should increase the number if you ask me.

See my previous answer, although for you it seems the roles were reversed, a consequence of your specific stats before answering the way you did.

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Sat May 14, 2016 2:06 pm

Frenequesta wrote:Now here's a doozy:

#305.1 (Who's Occupying What)--Lifting the ban on child labor decreases economic freedom?

The very slight (in your case) drop is because while letting business owners employ children increases their economic freedom, that option explicitly states you're kicking children out of school to do so - thus decreasing their economic freedom (how are they supposed to grow into the next generation of entrepreneurial job creators if they're too busy working the coal mines to learn advanced management techniques? :p ) Those two big changes almost, but not quite, balance, it seems.
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 16, 2016 9:31 am

#049 option 2 made Industry: Mining go down?

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Postby Frenequesta » Mon May 16, 2016 10:48 am

Trotterdam wrote:#049 option 2 made Industry: Mining go down?

That option seems to advocate an extreme "rule of capture" where anybody who finds any mineral on any land gets to keep it, untethering mineral rights from the land itself. The normal common law rule is cujus est solum est usque...ad inferos, and the option explicitly states that the gold was found on government property, so under that rule under the gold would be the government's. But the way these issues work is that the advocated rule extends to private land as well-even those clearly owned by mining companies.
Last edited by Frenequesta on Mon May 16, 2016 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon May 16, 2016 6:14 pm

I know that Option 507.3 is supposed to boost a nation's cheese industry. On one of my puppets, it increased by 19,590% (-30.99 to 6,040.88)! I jumped from the bottom of the rankings to the top 4% in the world in the blink of an eye.

:blink:

Too much of an increase?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon May 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Which puppet?

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon May 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Which puppet?

James II
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon May 16, 2016 7:20 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Which puppet?

James II

It's the combination of that nation being extremely pro-business yet very anti-cheese suddenly becoming pro-cheese. You started a fledgling cheese industry with that choice, but your gov't loves subsidies so it ballooned it.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Mon May 16, 2016 7:56 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:
Frenequesta wrote:Where did you get that number from? Your Residency counter is only 12.52 days.

From my issue results, duh!

I'm still seeing this on a regular basis. AFAIK residency should not display as a result of the regular increase, regardless of scaling.

Latest: Residency Days 22,346.93 → 23,786.93 6.4%
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue May 17, 2016 12:18 am

#110 option 2: "That there's anyone claiming to be a government is ludicrous. People should be allowed to determine their own fate and survival without fear of breaking these inhibiting laws! All government officials should be removed at once if this country is ever to become well and truly 'equal'!" -> "the land is famous throughout the region for its rampant lawlessness"

All three freedoms went up significantly, which was expected. Less expected is:

Choosing this raised several government deparments (seemingly just those ones that that nation had to begin with) and lowered most industries (except Gambling, due to its ties to Crime). It also raised Lifespan despite the all-pervasive crime, presumably due to the increase to Public Healthcare.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue May 17, 2016 12:23 am

Trotterdam wrote:#110 option 2: "That there's anyone claiming to be a government is ludicrous. People should be allowed to determine their own fate and survival without fear of breaking these inhibiting laws! All government officials should be removed at once if this country is ever to become well and truly 'equal'!" -> "the land is famous throughout the region for its rampant lawlessness"

All three freedoms went up significantly, which was expected. Less expected is:

Choosing this raised several government deparments (seemingly just those ones that that nation had to begin with) and lowered most industries (except Gambling, due to its ties to Crime). It also raised Lifespan despite the all-pervasive crime, presumably due to the increase to Public Healthcare.

Gotta puppet name? I have an idea of what happened, but I'd like to confirm.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue May 17, 2016 12:36 am

Luna Amore wrote:Gotta puppet name?
Eh, sure. Guess I had to break my cover someday.
Nope. Not here anymore. You have a good memory, right?
Last edited by Trotterdam on Tue May 17, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue May 17, 2016 12:42 am

You could have TG'd me. :p

Yeah, it's what I thought. Bringing it up with the team.

Greater Hunnia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Hunnia » Tue May 17, 2016 2:12 am

414.2 DECREASES AGRICULTURE BY MORE THAN 10%?! WHAT THE F?! Why the hell is Agriculture tied to Enviromental Beauty in EACH AND EVERY damn issue, and why the hell does fixing a town that's gone sh*t destroys the enviroment so much? Why does it also lower Weaponisation by more than 3%? One could think that if anything, it should raise it, after all, raccoons are running rampant... How come that while the issue destroys Agriculture for reasons, fixing a whole damn town that's been flooded helps Furniture Restoration only by some 5%?

Another clusterfk that goes on my blacklist. Agriculture is the second industry of my nation that is ruined by issues that appearently have their results generated with RNG, screw this.

Last edited by Greater Hunnia on Tue May 17, 2016 10:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
This nation DOES use NS statistics, but the interpretation for some of them might be a bit skewed.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue May 17, 2016 9:04 am

Just a quick note before anyone gets confused: the previous poster means #414, not #412.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?