NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Convergea
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Convergea » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Issue 70
Option 2

2. "Put to death? Is this really the type of person you want to listen to?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Every day I thank God that I'm an agnostic and don't need to believe this nonsense. Religion shouldn't have anything to do with our government. You should get rid of it immediately!"

why didn't my spirituality funding go away if my government has nothing to do with religion? Is it a corruption issue?
Last edited by Convergea on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Convergea wrote:Issue 70
Option 2

2. "Put to death? Is this really the type of person you want to listen to?" says @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Every day I thank God that I'm an agnostic and don't need to believe this nonsense. Religion shouldn't have anything to do with our government. You should get rid of it immediately!"

why didn't my spirituality funding go away if my government has nothing to do with religion? Is it a corruption issue?

Not an editor, but it's possible to have some vague "spiritual" beliefs without worshipping a deity. At least, that's what I hear. Your Religiousness did go way down, though, and your Secularism went way up.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Convergea
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Convergea » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:03 pm

Phydios wrote:
Convergea wrote:Issue 70
Option 2

Not an editor, but it's possible to have some vague "spiritual" beliefs without worshipping a deity. At least, that's what I hear. Your Religiousness did go way down, though, and your Secularism went way up.

Wouldn't providing funding for any spiritual belief or lack thereof count though?

Am I just passing out pamphlets encouraging people to figure out themselves then?
Last edited by Convergea on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:11 pm

Convergea wrote:
Phydios wrote:Not an editor, but it's possible to have some vague "spiritual" beliefs without worshipping a deity. At least, that's what I hear. Your Religiousness did go way down, though, and your Secularism went way up.

Wouldn't providing funding for any spiritual belief or lack thereof count though?

Am I just passing out pamphlets encouraging people to figure out themselves then?

I know as much as you. I'm just guessing. You'll have to see if a mod decides to pop in- their posts are pretty scarce here.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Convergea
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Convergea » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Phydios wrote:
Convergea wrote:Wouldn't providing funding for any spiritual belief or lack thereof count though?

I know as much as you. I'm just guessing. You'll have to see if a mod decides to pop in- their posts are pretty scarce here.

Well I'll just assume I'm spending 15 Trillion in encouraging people to figure out their beliefs for themselves, with the rest being embezzled.

North Americorp
Secretary

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby North Americorp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:26 am

483.2 (Do You Want Fries With That?):
"...their complaints are ridiculous, I assure you. They should be grateful for the wage they get for, what, flipping a few burgers? Give me a break. I implore you to send in the police and stop these mouth-breathers from scaring away our custom- eh, I mean, to protect our citizens, of course..."

"Labour strikes are routinely squashed by police."

That option significantly increased Income Equality. No minimum wages = more income equality? What?
Last edited by North Americorp on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Svothlore
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Svothlore » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 am

#452: Foetal Furore [Christian Democrats; ed:Sanctaria]

To: me.

The Issue
Video coverage of a protest outside of an abortion clinic has gone viral after the footage indicated that pro-life campaigners prevented ingress of pregnant women, causing the patients visible distress. In response, the Womyn's Liberation League has pushed for a bill that it says would protect access to clinics.

Choice Made
"What about the right to free speech?" pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, lawyer for the pro-life activists depicted in the footage. "These are public spaces, and my clients should have the freedom, as well as the ability, to get their views across. You may disagree with them, but it would be draconian for the government to prohibit their citizens from revealing to people the truth about any medical procedure they are getting."

Unusual Effect

Why it's unusual
Allowing the right to protest against practices that individuals find immoral is an expansion of civil and political rights, not a contraction of it. Nobody's civil rights are being infringed upon by allowing these people to protest.
Last edited by Svothlore on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:58 am

503.3 raises obesity by .4%. Sure that isn't a lot of a raise, but wtf? Nothing relating to obesity is mentioned in the option. Since when does replacing a door with a force field raise obesity? Is this a flaw since it is a new issue or what?

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

We Couldnt Agree On A Name
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby We Couldnt Agree On A Name » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Svothlore wrote:Allowing the right to protest against practices that individuals find immoral is an expansion of civil and political rights, not a contraction of it. Nobody's civil rights are being infringed upon by allowing these people to protest.

"pro-life campaigners prevented ingress of pregnant women"
World Assembly Representative: Ms. Adriene Beaumont | "We write legislation here, not dictionaries."
I'll use stats when you fix 443.3

British West Zuzunia
Attaché

Founded: May 18, 2006
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby British West Zuzunia » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Svothlore wrote:Allowing the right to protest against practices that individuals find immoral is an expansion of civil and political rights, not a contraction of it. Nobody's civil rights are being infringed upon by allowing these people to protest.

From the issue text:
"[...] pro-life campaigners prevented ingress of pregnant women, causing the patients visible distress[...]"
This is not merely speech. This is interfering with the pregnant women's freedom of travel and right to choice. So, yes, by choosing option 2, which allows them to continue, you are tacitly supporting denying those women their civil rights.

Note that option 1 does not deny the activists their right to speech; it only requires them to do it far enough away that they don't interfere with the women's access to the clinics.

Actually denying the activists' right to speech would be option 4.

Svothlore
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Svothlore » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:25 pm

British West Zuzunia wrote:This is not merely speech. This is interfering with the pregnant women's freedom of travel and right to choice. So, yes, by choosing option 2, which allows them to continue, you are tacitly supporting denying those women their civil rights.

Note that option 1 does not deny the activists their right to speech; it only requires them to do it far enough away that they don't interfere with the women's access to the clinics.

Option 1 is most definitely a restriction on the activists' right to free speech. Saying "Yeah, you can protest, but you can only do it where we say you can" wouldn't exactly be a progressive option in the realm of expanding civil rights. In fact, it'd be a lot more regressive than allowing them to protest anywhere they want on public property.

The implication here is that these are public clinics. I'll ignore the fact that public clinics don't exactly exist in Svothlore because all property is privatized and take the issue at face value instead. If it turns out that these activists are being physically disruptive to the extent that accessing the clinic is impossible, then there's nothing stopping them from going to a private clinic for abortions. Letting people block the entrance to a public facility is no more a violation of civil rights than would be cutting funding to the public facility--that is, there is no violation. In other words, accessing a public clinic isn't a civil right.
Last edited by Svothlore on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okefenokee Swamp
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Okefenokee Swamp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Like the issue says, they're protesting by not letting anyone enter the clinics. By choosing that option, you're allowing that to continue.

Gnark
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Gnark » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:47 pm

156.3, enact stricter environmental laws and force corporations to pay for clean-up.

The talking point says, "Heavy industry must go to expensive lengths to dispose of waste," but, while my Employment went down, Economic Output went up, and so did most of my industries, including ones that I would think of as environmentally unfriendly heavy industries, like Automobile Manufacturing, Mining, and Timber Woodchipping. Some went up more than others, but no industry actually went down.

edit: Scratch that last. I hadn't looked at the expanded results. Basket Weaving, Cheese Exports, and Insurance went down. Everything else went up. Those seem like very odd industries to be hit by environmental regulation when those abovementioned all went up.
Last edited by Gnark on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even in Antiquity, all the good names were already taken.

IC, we're the Terran Empire. No, not the Warhammer 40k Empire of Man. Or the Empire from Star Wars.

British West Zuzunia
Attaché

Founded: May 18, 2006
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby British West Zuzunia » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:40 pm

Svothlore wrote:
British West Zuzunia wrote:This is not merely speech. This is interfering with the pregnant women's freedom of travel and right to choice. So, yes, by choosing option 2, which allows them to continue, you are tacitly supporting denying those women their civil rights.

Option 1 is most definitely a restriction on the activists' right to free speech. Saying "Yeah, you can protest, but you can only do it where we say you can" wouldn't exactly be a progressive option in the realm of expanding civil rights. In fact, it'd be a lot more regressive than allowing them to protest anywhere they want on public property.

Yes, it's a minor restriction on freedom of speech. However, the activists are not merely "speaking". They are "assaulting pregnant women and denying them their freedom of movement and right to seek medical attention". By allowing that to continue, your government is complicit in a much greater denial of rights than the minor restriction on free speech would be, and so your Civil Rights take a net loss.

The implication here is that these are public clinics. I'll ignore the fact that public clinics don't exactly exist in Svothlore because all property is privatized and take the issue at face value instead. If it turns out that these activists are being physically disruptive to the extent that accessing the clinic is impossible, then there's nothing stopping them from going to a private clinic for abortions. Letting people block the entrance to a public facility is no more a violation of civil rights than would be cutting funding to the public facility--that is, there is no violation. In other words, accessing a public clinic isn't a civil right.

No. There is no such implication. The only place the word "public" is used in the issue is describing the space around the clinic where the protests are taking place, as the issue is making the assumption that your roads are public ways like in normal nations. "This is a public space," is an excuse these people often use in reality to excuse assault and harassment, as they carefully stay just outside the clinic's property line.

The activists are in fact being physically disruptive to the extent that accessing the clinic is impossible. That's the entire premise of the issue.

There is no reason to assume that going to a different clinic would result in a different situation. And forcing the women to do so is denying them their right to do business with the clinic of their choice, which is, again, a larger violation of their rights than forcing the protestors to stop assaulting them.

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:49 pm

#414 Subpar suburbs. Picking to turn the city into the city of the future caused a 9.9% drop in political freedoms, 58% drop in safety, 10% jump in crime, and 30% drop in weather, 3.3% drop in environmental beauty, and 3% increase in wealth gaps. A lot of these effects match up with the result, but the choice gave no indication that this is what it would do.

"These plans, they have no charm, no wonder!" announces Elias Yensid strolling into the room with an elaborate model city. "I present to you the Exploratory Paradigm City of Tomorrow! What my team and I aim to do is transform this rundown one-horse town into the forefront of science, technology, and international togetherness. Maybe we'll even throw in a roller coaster or two. Think of it as a blueprint for the future! With me in full control of course."

"Rundown towns are frequently sold to billionaires for their pet projects."

It doesn't even mention the guy is a billionaire, or that I'm selling the town to him. And what is with the 10% political freedoms drop? Why are the effects more extreme than any other issue I've ever answered?
Last edited by Skappola on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:54 pm

"These plans, they have no charm, no wonder!" announces Elias Yensid strolling into the room with an elaborate model city. "I present to you the Exploratory Paradigm City of Tomorrow! What my team and I aim to do is transform this rundown one-horse town into the forefront of science, technology, and international togetherness. Maybe we'll even throw in a roller coaster or two. Think of it as a blueprint for the future! With me in full control of course."
Does that answer your question?

And before you object, it would be impossible to have such a degree of deliberate planning without putting someone in control. The alternative would be to let the city grow naturally according to the actions of its citizens, giving you little ability to control its direction.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:15 pm

New issue #505 ("Florists Blooming Mad"), I think it was option 3, but I'm not positive, it's not in the spoilers yet, and hitting back just tells me I'm not confronted with it anymore... the one that involves genetically engineering the invader into food crops, anyway. The talking point underlines its hallucinogenic properties ("Visions of giant pink wulfs are a common side effect after Eahliscmenn eat their meals."), but there's no effect on Recreational Drug Use?

Also, despite the option's supporter talking up its economic benefits, my Economic Output and many of my industries (besides Agriculture) are down. I'm not really objecting to that - option supporters being wrong about what their pet option's fallout is going to be is reasonable - but I'm not sure if it's intentional.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Willy Beamish
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Willy Beamish » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:47 am

504.4:
Finally, fifteen year old Renee sits down at your desk, barely looking at you while she types vigorously at her smartphone. "Jeez, like, get off my back. I can, like, wear whatever I want. Boys are so stupid sometimes. Look at these shorts; they're even patriotic!" She stands up and does a twirl to show her short shorts are in your national colours with Willy Beamish emblazoned across the backside. "Pretty nice right?" She smacks her gum loudly, takes a selfie, and goes back to texting.

"I do what I want!"
Did not raise Youth Rebelliousness at all. Editors always seem to overlook that stat, barely anything affects it at all.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 am

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:503.3 raises obesity by .4%. Sure that isn't a lot of a raise, but wtf? Nothing relating to obesity is mentioned in the option. Since when does replacing a door with a force field raise obesity? Is this a flaw since it is a new issue or what?

Perhaps because the force-field is "opened" just by pressing a button, which takes even less effort than physically opening a wooden door?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:27 pm

446 In The Land Of Milk And Money

Letting people sell their breast milk does not increase economic freedom by a single point?

In fact the only thing it changed was inclusiveness. That's pretty unusual.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Gnark
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Gnark » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:10 pm

#365 "A Busload Of Worry", option 1 (banning anti-gay advertising on public buses) makes Social Conservatism go up?
Even in Antiquity, all the good names were already taken.

IC, we're the Terran Empire. No, not the Warhammer 40k Empire of Man. Or the Empire from Star Wars.

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Drawkland » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Gnark wrote:#365 "A Busload Of Worry", option 1 (banning anti-gay advertising on public buses) makes Social Conservatism go up?

Um, what isn't Socially Conservative about that?
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:37 pm

Drawkland wrote:
Gnark wrote:#365 "A Busload Of Worry", option 1 (banning anti-gay advertising on public buses) makes Social Conservatism go up?

Um, what isn't Socially Conservative about that?

Social conservatives tend to support the opposition of homosexuality, not oppose it.
Last edited by Phydios on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:04 pm

#011: People Request Not So Much Dictatorship, If That's All Right

Option chosen:
The High Minister for Finance, who also happens to be your brother, dismisses the claim. "What these people fail to realize is that you know what's best for them. The alternative is anarchy! I say stick to your course. And execute these wackos for treason."

Strangely enough, this didn't drop political freedoms. Or civil rights. In fact, this didn't lower any stats at all.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:23 pm

Your political freedoms are 0.57. Prior to the addition of decimal places, they would simply have been 0. They can't get much lower.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?