NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:44 am

Mayors Behaving Badly.

This nation, answered 11/4/16.

Option 3 chosen.

Corruption increases by 8%. (1.25 to 1.35).

An anti-corruption lawyer proposing a no tolerance attitude to corruption, and corruption INCREASES?

Is this intentional?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Menta Lee-IL
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menta Lee-IL » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:12 am

Yet another.

Issue: "Menta Lee-IL Is Never Ever Getting Back Together... Like Ever" (Dilemma = 466)

Chose Option 1: 1. "Traitor!" roars @@RANDOMNAME@@, a controversial nationalist politician, before screaming a tirade of obscenities. "This is absolutely ludicrous. We have to send a message to people like this Ronation scumbag! You do not secede from @@NAME@@. It's that simple. For the good of our glorious @@TYPE@@, we must invade and bomb Ronation's home. In fact, once this is all over, we should have our military patrol the streets of this great country to send a message to other terrorists who are thinking of doing the same thing. Sure, some people might call this an invasion of freedom of speech, but for the sake of national unity, we must clampdown on the other ingrates following in his footsteps."

Result: DECREASED defense and law enforcement spending.
Are you a dictator? Are you psychotic? JOIN PSYCHOTIC DICTATORSHIPS! ACT NOW: JOIN AND GET YOUR *FREE* BOUFFANT TODAY!

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Issue #9

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:28 am

For some reason, choosing Option Three on Issue Nine (National Animals On the Dinner Table) increases income inequality. Also, despite claiming to increase Tourism by one hundred percent, the graph shows that it did not go up much at all.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Venetoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venetoland » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:42 am

Just had the issue regarding dolls using a pop star's likeness. Why did respecting copyright lessen my economic strength?

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:56 am

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:For some reason, choosing Option Three on Issue Nine (National Animals On the Dinner Table) increases income inequality. Also, despite claiming to increase Tourism by one hundred percent, the graph shows that it did not go up much at all.

64 to 130 is an increase of 66 points, which is in fact 103% of 64.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

British West Zuzunia
Attaché

Founded: May 18, 2006
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby British West Zuzunia » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:49 am

#161 ("Where There's A Will There's A Tax"), option 1 (abolish inheritance) has no effect on Economic Freedom, but lowers Political Freedom??

Logophilia Lyricalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Logophilia Lyricalia » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:16 pm

490.1 on this nation:

Economy -28.2%
Econ. Output -30.2%
Avg. Income -30.2%
Welfare -46.4%

yet

Employment +7.1%
Seven industries & two sectors registered growth (Pizza +11.6%, others +3.2%). No industries dropped.

The magic Job Creator gnomes are at it again, I see. :p
Spreading cynical idealism since... well, a while ago now.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Mayors Behaving Badly.

This nation, answered 11/4/16.

Option 3 chosen.

Corruption increases by 8%. (1.25 to 1.35).

An anti-corruption lawyer proposing a no tolerance attitude to corruption, and corruption INCREASES?

Is this intentional?
Overly-strict "punish everyone even suspected of corruption" policies also make it easier to frame political opponents on false corruption charges.

It's probably one of those things that depends on your nation's previous laws (remember that raising political freedoms improves integrity at first, but once it gets too high, integrity goes down again as the system is easier to abuse).

Venetoland wrote:Just had the issue regarding dolls using a pop star's likeness. Why did respecting copyright lessen my economic strength?
Government-enforced monopolies (on using any particular likeness) hurt the market. Less things business can sell, so less sales.

Logophilia Lyricalia wrote:The magic Job Creator gnomes are at it again, I see. :p
The jobs were already there, people were just too lazy to take them. Cutting welfare spurred them into action.

Lioniel
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lioniel » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Issue: The Sky is Falling

Option 2 chosen

And the result is: Safety Rating Decreased by 0.86% Law Enforcement Decreased by 29.0%

and that's it, i thought the option would increase private industry and even more issue effects.

And lastly Issue: Its UterUS Not UterYou i chose option 1 and my black market index goes up a bit. social issues has nothing to do with the black market.
My Nation may or may not reflect my personal views.
Economic Left/Right: -1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.23
I support high tax rates, do you?
Only losers would love their country without calling out its flaws Populism is an imbecilic belief that the commoner knows better than the intellectual.
The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them”

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:15 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Logophilia Lyricalia wrote:The magic Job Creator gnomes are at it again, I see. :p
The jobs were already there, people were just too lazy to take them. Cutting welfare spurred them into action.

Economic output equal, I'd agree. But the huge contraction/recession should be cutting jobs regardless of some mythical class of lazy welfare bums suddenly having the motivation to take them. As is, I'll just have to assume those employment stats are as trumped up as RL ones (e.g., counting some benefit-less part-time shift as equal to a full-time gig with paid sick days etc., even though the "two jobs" are very different as far as the worker and the economy are concerned).
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:27 am

I don't know if this was answered yet, but issue 302.3 makes no sense that the following effects decreased in my nation:

Law Enforcement
Orwell Orderliness Index 0.13%

Public Education
Edu-tellignce® Test Score 0.13%

Defense Forces
Total War Preparedness Rating 0.13%

Industry: Cheese Exports
Mozzarella Productivity Index 0.13%

Industry: Beverage Sales
Addison-Fukk Productivity Rating 0.13%

Industry: Timber Woodchipping
Tasmanian Pulp Environmental Export Index 0.13%

Industry: Mining
Blue Sky Asbestos Index 0.13%

Industry: Basket Weaving
Hickory Productivity Index 0.13%

Industry: Gambling
Kelly Criterion Productivity Index 0.13%

Industry: Furniture Restoration
Spitz-Pollish Productivity Index 0.13%

How did law enforcement go down? Having drones don't decrease law enforcement because the law generally has them too. Public education makes no sense here at all. Defense forces- wtf. How does that work? Cheese exports DOWN .13%!?!?!? THERE'S CHEESE ON PIZZA! How the heck does that play into this? Beverage sales doesn't make sense since pizza is generally has beverages like soda to go along with it. Timber woodchipping is not even mentioned in the issue. Mining makes no sense at all either. Basket weaving, gambling, and furniture restoration also doesn't fit

I am so confused. Sure it is a small percent, but every issue I answer keeps decreases my industries and they make no sense. This one takes the top.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:26 am

It's probably a matter of the Pizza Delivery industry growing, and all other industries shrinking a little because people are now spending more money on pizza and so have less money for other stuff. The fact that it's the same shrinkage for all industries is telling. 0.13% is pretty small, anyway, so so long as overall economy went up, there's not much of a problem.

Eahland
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:08 am

Trotterdam wrote:It's probably a matter of the Pizza Delivery industry growing, and all other industries shrinking a little because people are now spending more money on pizza and so have less money for other stuff. The fact that it's the same shrinkage for all industries is telling. 0.13% is pretty small, anyway, so so long as overall economy went up, there's not much of a problem.

That's really, really not how economies work on the macro scale. When people spend money on pizzas, that money does not disappear from the economy and become unavailable for use elsewhere. It goes to pizza deliverators, pizza cooks, pizza chain managers, and then to the farmers and ranchers and fishers that produce the ingredients, the bottling plants that produce the drinks, the companies that produce the cars they use, the fuel they burn, the ovens they bake the pizzas in, the computers and networks they use to take orders and keep their books, their buildings and furniture and so on, and in turn to the miners and lumberjacks and tractor manufacturers and programmers and so on that supply them, and on and on, and at each stage, profits go into people's pockets, and they spend that on more stuff entirely unrelated to the pizza industry, and that money keeps moving and gets spent over and over, and everything gets better. Spending money on stuff makes it available to be spent other stuff, not the reverse.

If something boosts Pizza Delivery specifically, its growth will not come at the expense of other industries, but will cause other industries to grow as well. Pizza Delivery may grow the most, causing other industries' relative percentages of the total economy to go down, but in absolute terms, a smaller percentage of a much bigger pie is still more pie.

(Tangentially, could we get a pie chart that shows the breakdown of the economy by industry?)

Pterodoria
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Corporate Bordello

Taxation and Freedom from Taxation both increased

Postby Pterodoria » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:40 am

Issue 102 option 1 with Iguanarctica had an interesting combination of effects.
https://i.imgur.com/ZMx4EZJ.png
Puppet of Pencil Sharpeners 2. Drugs and capitalism.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:57 am

Eahland wrote:That's really, really not how economies work on the macro scale.
Well, whether you agree or not, it's not just this issue. "One or two industries go up a lot, all other industries go down slightly" is an effect I'm constantly seeing all over the place.

British West Zuzunia
Attaché

Founded: May 18, 2006
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby British West Zuzunia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:27 pm

#168 "Vote For 'None of the Above'?" option 1 (allow) doesn't affect Political Freedoms? It seems like the very definition of a Political Freedoms issue.

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Issue #161: Where there's a will, there's a tax. Creating an inheritance tax (last choice) causes political freedoms to drop by 3%? That's rather substantial, considering the scale it is on, and doesn't really make sense.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Eahland
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:11 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Eahland wrote:That's really, really not how economies work on the macro scale.
Well, whether you agree or not, it's not just this issue. "One or two industries go up a lot, all other industries go down slightly" is an effect I'm constantly seeing all over the place.

Yeah, I made that observation a few days ago. What I'm saying is not that the NS economic model doesn't work that way, but rather that it shouldn't.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Eahland wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Well, whether you agree or not, it's not just this issue. "One or two industries go up a lot, all other industries go down slightly" is an effect I'm constantly seeing all over the place.

Yeah, I made that observation a few days ago. What I'm saying is not that the NS economic model doesn't work that way, but rather that it shouldn't.

It does. And there isn't a solid solution to prevent it. This was brought up initially on the first page:

[violet] wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:The industry bumps are a quirk (not a bug) of the new system. There was a potential correction in the works in beta, but it ended up causing more problems than it solved.

The drop in the economy is pretty understandable. You gutted your government.

Luna asked me to take a look at this.

So, firstly, as Luna says, "gutting" your government will always cause an immediate economic drop, assuming your government is of reasonable size, since you're putting a lot of people out of work and withdrawing a lot of spending.

Some of that labor force, capital, and mental energy will find its way elsewhere, which is why you notice rises in your industries. (This is the "quirk" Luna mentions.) It's not quite correct that your industries "skyrocketed," though, since they grew by an average of 1.8%.

Some movement of this kind always occurs between industries and government departments, so that a significant rise in any one is usually accompanied by a small but noticeable decrease in the others, and vice versa.

Siev
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Siev » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:30 pm

Not an unusual effect, but a newspaper headline:
Shooters Celebrate Gun Law Decriminilization: Two Injured

Should be "decriminalization", I think

Glorious Empire of Draconia
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Empire of Draconia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:52 pm

stakes on a plane - my airport is too busy.
I expanded and added a new runway. Tourism and employment dropped?

We Couldnt Agree On A Name
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby We Couldnt Agree On A Name » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Back again with 443.3 this time with a nation that doesn't have significant subsidies. It's still broken.
World Assembly Representative: Ms. Adriene Beaumont | "We write legislation here, not dictionaries."
I'll use stats when you fix 443.3

Draconae
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Draconae » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:04 pm

This nation answered Issue #195 with choice three. The talking point states that all footpaths now have tollbooths and my Tourism went up 180%. That makes since. However, that also caused my Gambling industry to increase 31,910% (from -0.79 to 251.28) and increased Basket Weaving and Mining 90.6%. Why would Tourism have an effect on Basket Weaving and Mining, or that much an effect on the Gambling industry? Thanks!
General Centrist
Economic Left/Right: -1.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49
Draconae is a WA Nation
Ambassador: Marcus Valorus
Author: Internet Neutrality Act
Tech Level: MT + ~30 years (Tier 6.5)
Magic: None (Level 0)
Influence: Regional Power (Type 5)

Venetoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Venetoland » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Someone suggested a pie chart of our industries. I think that's a GREAT idea. Any hope of implementating it?

We Couldnt Agree On A Name
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby We Couldnt Agree On A Name » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:26 pm

Venetoland wrote:Someone suggested a pie chart of our industries. I think that's a GREAT idea. Any hope of implementating it?

That goes in the technical forum, but I agree that it's a great idea.
World Assembly Representative: Ms. Adriene Beaumont | "We write legislation here, not dictionaries."
I'll use stats when you fix 443.3

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?