NATION

PASSWORD

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since New Update

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Why did option 250.2 decrease Generic Beauracracy's freedom from taxation when the speaker in that option was suggesting a tax break?

…and why did option 314.4 increase Torture Tower's civil rights?
Last edited by Leppikania on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Menta Lee-IL
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menta Lee-IL » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:58 pm

Issue #300: Trafficked Tots Trouble

Chose 2: 2. Joe Belt, the Chief of Police, winces and turns white. "That sounds rather... barbaric. Give us more funding, and we can set up a special department - the Child Catchers! We'll take children from those who procreate without passing the exam, and raise them to be perfect members of our police force... err... society."

Result: and the national Police Academies have dedicated infant wings

Effects? Decreased police funding and military spending.

Issue #114: Wipe Out Graffiti? (I mentioned this earlier, reposting)

Chose: 1. "It's a disgrace!" declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, middle class and proud of it. "I can't even go downtown without seeing these hideous eyesores debasing the streets! We need to arrest the scumbags at the root of this, lock them up, and teach them a jolly good lesson! More policemen on the beat should do the ticket, even if it does require a slight augmentation in taxes!"

Effects? Decreased police funding.

SIGH. :eyebrow:
Are you a dictator? Are you psychotic? JOIN PSYCHOTIC DICTATORSHIPS! ACT NOW: JOIN AND GET YOUR *FREE* BOUFFANT TODAY!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Menta Lee-IL wrote:Issue #300: Trafficked Tots Trouble

Chose 2: 2. Joe Belt, the Chief of Police, winces and turns white. "That sounds rather... barbaric. Give us more funding, and we can set up a special department - the Child Catchers! We'll take children from those who procreate without passing the exam, and raise them to be perfect members of our police force... err... society."

Result: and the national Police Academies have dedicated infant wings

Effects? Decreased police funding and military spending.

Issue #114: Wipe Out Graffiti? (I mentioned this earlier, reposting)

Chose: 1. "It's a disgrace!" declares @@RANDOMNAME@@, middle class and proud of it. "I can't even go downtown without seeing these hideous eyesores debasing the streets! We need to arrest the scumbags at the root of this, lock them up, and teach them a jolly good lesson! More policemen on the beat should do the ticket, even if it does require a slight augmentation in taxes!"

Effects? Decreased police funding.

SIGH. :eyebrow:

Both definitely do not do that and I can't see what's throwing it off for your nation but I have a guess. This one might be better suited for [v].

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:14 pm

#84 "Compulsory Gun Ownership?", option 2 (legalize and encourage concealed carry): decreases Weaponization!
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:18 pm

Eahland wrote:#84 "Compulsory Gun Ownership?", option 2 (legalize and encourage concealed carry): decreases Weaponization!

For you, yes. You already allow a great deal of freedom concerning guns so the secondary stats shine through more for you (Crime: 117.47 → 116.85 0.53%). Even with that, it was a minor drop 102.53 → 102.14 0.38%.

Slightly less crime, slightly less weaponization.

British West Zuzunia
Attaché

Founded: May 18, 2006
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby British West Zuzunia » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:03 pm

500.3, abolishing copyright has no effect on Culture or anything like that, and only a marginal effect on Book Publishing, but it drives Weaponization way down. What, are we eliminating software pirates' need to carry their cutlasses and flintlocks around?

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:07 pm

British West Zuzunia wrote:500.3, abolishing copyright has no effect on Culture or anything like that, and only a marginal effect on Book Publishing, but it drives Weaponization way down. What, are we eliminating software pirates' need to carry their cutlasses and flintlocks around?

Way down might be an exaggeration: Weapons Per Person 1.03 → 0.81 21.4%

Willy Beamish
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Willy Beamish » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:28 am

Whoa. 490.1 (Long and Winding Halls) raised Weaponization by 818%.
From 0.6 weapons per person to 5.6. That's extreme.

Not that I don't like it, but how come? All I did was slash the government spending.
Last edited by Willy Beamish on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:56 am

Willy Beamish wrote:Whoa. 490.1 (Long and Winding Halls) raised Weaponization by 818%.
From 0.6 weapons per person to 5.6. That's extreme.

Not that I don't like it, but how come? All I did was slash the government spending.

I haven't checked the exact results for your nation, but it's probably due to an increase in crime (you did slash all type of government spending)

Sotruenia
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sotruenia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:26 am

Sotruenia answered issue #274: Brotherly Love - A Bit Too Close to Home?

Picking the answer that makes the government butt out of marriage completely makes civil rights fall for some unexplained reason.

Sotruenia
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sotruenia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:14 am

Sotruenia answered issue #054: Time To Put The Older Senators Out To Pasture?

Choosing to implement term limits lowers political freedom, which is frankly ridiculous.

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:23 am

Okay now, how does the result of 61.2 decrease every industry? Just because it says that everyone should have an equal opportunity to succeed or fail should NOT effect any industry negatively because due to logic it could go both ways. Can I get an explanation about this?

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:44 am

Sotruenia wrote:Sotruenia answered issue #274: Brotherly Love - A Bit Too Close to Home?

Picking the answer that makes the government butt out of marriage completely makes civil rights fall for some unexplained reason.

You outlawed marriage.

Sotruenia wrote:Sotruenia answered issue #054: Time To Put The Older Senators Out To Pasture?

Choosing to implement term limits lowers political freedom, which is frankly ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? Setting term limits restricts every citizen's right to run as much as they want. You are telling them what they can't do which is a big hint that it's going to hurt some sort of freedom.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:49 am

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:Okay now, how does the result of 61.2 decrease every industry? Just because it says that everyone should have an equal opportunity to succeed or fail should NOT effect any industry negatively because due to logic it could go both ways. Can I get an explanation about this?

This has been explained multiple times at this point.

[violet] wrote:Some of that labor force, capital, and mental energy will find its way elsewhere, which is why you notice rises in your industries. (This is the "quirk" Luna mentions.) It's not quite correct that your industries "skyrocketed," though, since they grew by an average of 1.8%.

Some movement of this kind always occurs between industries and government departments, so that a significant rise in any one is usually accompanied by a small but noticeable decrease in the others, and vice versa.

Your industries experienced a very minor contraction (down 0.06%) due to the process [v] described.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:54 pm

Issue Fifty Six extrerminated my Tourism and somehow made my people dumber.

It did not, however, decrease my Social Conservativism (greater economic freedoms), decrease my Business Subsidization (the literal definition of special interest subsidies), nor did it increase my Free Market Index.

I was hoping for a boost in my capitalism raitings, but all I did was exterminate my Tourism. Why?
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:55 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Why is it ridiculous? Setting term limits restricts every citizen's right to run as much as they want. You are telling them what they can't do which is a big hint that it's going to hurt some sort of freedom.

It also prevents incumbants from becoming permanent, and therefore it decreases corruption. It should INCREASE Political Freedom.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:51 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Why is it ridiculous? Setting term limits restricts every citizen's right to run as much as they want. You are telling them what they can't do which is a big hint that it's going to hurt some sort of freedom.

It also prevents incumbants from becoming permanent, and therefore it decreases corruption. It should INCREASE Political Freedom.

Corruption =/= political freedom.

It limits what the citizens can do politically both by running and voting. It decreases political freedom.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:59 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:my Free Market Index
Should it? Who is granted more economic freedom by that option?
TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Social Conservativism (greater economic freedoms)
Social conservatism does not mean greater economic freedoms. Two different things.
TURTLESHROOM II wrote:decrease my Business Subsidization (the literal definition of special interest subsidies)
It did: Gilded Widget Scale -15.49 → -16.12 4.1%
TURTLESHROOM II wrote:I was hoping for a boost in my capitalism raitings, but all I did was exterminate my Tourism. Why?

That is quite the drop, I'll have to look into that.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Presumably, most of those tourists had been coming to your nation to listen to poetry.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:20 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
TURTLESHROOM II wrote:I was hoping for a boost in my capitalism raitings, but all I did was exterminate my Tourism. Why?

That is quite the drop, I'll have to look into that.

There is a flaw in the underlying calculations that will need to be fixed. [v] is looking into it.

Viikate
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Viikate » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:13 pm

375.2: "Rainbows have been replaced by gloomy rain clouds as a result of the mass burning of leprechauns"

Despite the effect line, that didn't to anything to the Weather stat.

Aifur
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aifur » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:06 am

Wedlock Worries (165.2): "Children are regularly married to each other to secure business deals between families."

Youth Rebelliousness DOWN by 200%? That makes no sense at all.
Generally, it's the opposite: arranged marriages tend to make youth rebel against their parents. Think Romeo and Juliet, or Fiddler on the Roof.
Last edited by Aifur on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:16 am

Aifur wrote:Wedlock Worries (165.2): "Children are regularly married to each other to secure business deals between families."

Generally, it's the opposite: arranged marriages tend to make youth rebel against their parents. Think Romeo and Juliet, or Fiddler on the Roof.

When such children do rebel, it's much more dramatic to be sure. But in societies where children are raised from birth to consider arranged marriages and childhood betrothal as normal, there's going to be a lot less youth rebelliousness in the aggregate. Did your murder rate rise a tiny bit along with this, perhaps? While general crime dropped, for the same reasons as youth rebelliousness? If so, that's exactly what I'd expect.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:34 am

Aifur wrote:Wedlock Worries (165.2): "Children are regularly married to each other to secure business deals between families."

Youth Rebelliousness down -1.00 → -3.00 200%

It sounds more dramatic than it actually is. Kinda like Romeo and Juliet. :p

Aifur
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aifur » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:34 am

Luna Amore wrote:Youth Rebelliousness down -1.00 → -3.00 200%

It sounds more dramatic than it actually is. Kinda like Romeo and Juliet. :p

Top 10% is in >6 range, and bottom 10% in <-9 range. So two points is a considerable drop in the rankings.

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:When such children do rebel, it's much more dramatic to be sure. But in societies where children are raised from birth to consider arranged marriages and childhood betrothal as normal, there's going to be a lot less youth rebelliousness in the aggregate. Did your murder rate rise a tiny bit along with this, perhaps? While general crime dropped, for the same reasons as youth rebelliousness? If so, that's exactly what I'd expect.

That doesn't ring true, but perhaps I've read too much Victorian romance fiction.
The other major changes were: Authoritarianism up (makes sense), Charmlessness down (?), Compliance up by a lot, Crime down, all industries up, Intelligence down, and Weaponization down.
Last edited by Aifur on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?