NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] For Want of a Nail

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED] For Want of a Nail

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:25 am

Self-edited version:
Name:

For Want of a Nail

Description:

A recent investigation into a near miss between commercial airplanes (narrowly avoided thanks to skilled pilots) revealed that it was due to an error on the part of an air traffic controller, who in turn was being distracted by his colleague chattering about how hungry he was, which was in turn caused by his colleague's missing packed lunch, which in turn caused by his colleague's wife's temporary incapacity, in turn caused by a finger infection, in turn caused by a broken nail. Thus, the media are dubbing this "the Broken Nail Incident."

Validity:

Not valid for nations that have banned planes or marriage

Options:

[option]"Symptom: fragile keratin. Diagnosis: calcium deficiency," declares medically-untrained Dairy Industry marketing rep @@random_name()@@ with confident certainty, "If you want to avoid these sorts of problems in future, you need to subsidise the dairies so we can increase supply of our products to the populace. Have I got milk? Yes, I have! Have you got the moolah?"
[effect]it is popularly believed that "a cheese a day keeps disaster away"
[optionvalidity]capitalism

[option]"Symptom: fragile keratin. Diagnosis: calcium deficiency," declares medically-untrained State Dairy Director @@random_name()@@ with confident certainty, "If you want to avoid these sorts of problems in future, you need to increase funding to the dairies so we can increase supply of our products to the populace. Have I got milk? Yes, I have! Milk for all the People!"
[effect]it is popularly believed that "a cheese a day keeps disaster away"
[optionvalidity]no capitalism

[option]"Wait? His WIFE made lunch for him? Why couldn't he make his own damn packed lunch?" complains avowed feminist @@random_name(male)@@ as he grumbles through mouthfuls of broccoli and dried figs, "Here is a sign of a sickness in our society, a sickness of patriarchy and chauvinism! You should speak out, and pinpoint gender inequality as the cause of this near-miss. If you, glorious leader, tell the men of this nation they must make their own damn lunches, then they damn well will have to listen!"
[effect]restaurants are not allowed to serve food cooked by female chefs to male customers

[option]"Call me Captain Obvious," says airline pilot Captain Tom Obvious, "but doesn't a near-miss air collision suggest we need to be spending more on air safety? Employ more air traffic controllers working shorter shifts, reduce night-time and bad weather flights, and introduce more safeguards and redundancies. That's how you make things safer."
[effect]pre-takeoff checks on international flights take longer than the flights themselves

[option] "This is Emergence at work," reverently whispers wild-eyed lepidopterometeorologist Professor Frank Benjamin. "Too long has national policy been set by simplistic cause and effect models, when really what we need to be doing is researching the complexity of chaos, the beauty of multiple interacting systems and the madness of the mundane! Fund my research into Chaos Socioeconomics, and I think we can help you make policy decisions that lead to better outcomes, even if they are counter-intuitive at first."
[effect]the government decides its policies by observing the flight of birds

[option]""The only thing emerging here is the Hand of the Divine," counters reasonable sounding priest @@random_name()@@, "My scientist friend here is right that the world is too complex for the science of mankind to explain or predict. Disaster happens or does not, and the 'why' is beyond our understanding. Dispense with air traffic control and electronic systems, and instead require all pilots and passengers to pray before take off and landing. Have faith in a higher power!"
[effect]it's a miracle that there aren't more plane crashes than there are

Original submitted version:
Name:

For Want of a Nail

Description:

A recent investigation into a near miss between commercial airplanes (narrowly avoided thanks to skilled pilots) revealed that it was due to an error on the part of an air traffic controller, who in turn was being distracted by his colleague chattering about how hungry he was, which was in turn caused by his colleague's missing packed lunch, which in turn caused by his colleague's wife's temporary incapacity, in turn caused by a finger infection, in turn caused by a broken nail. Thus, the media are dubbing this "the Broken Nail Incident."

Validity:

Not valid for nations that have banned planes.

Options:

[option]"Symptom: fragile keratin. Diagnosis: calcium deficiency." states medically and scientifically untrained Dairy Industry rep @@RANDOMNAME@@ with confident certainty, "If you want to avoid these sorts of problems in future, you need to subsidise the dairies so we can increase supply of our products to the populace. Have I got milk? Yes, I have! Have you got funding?"
[effect]a popular belief is that 'a cheese a day keeps disaster away'
[stats]cheese exports increases, government spending increases, business subsidisation increases, taxation increases, obesity increases, health decreases, employment increases a little, scientific advancement decreases,

[option]"Wait? His WIFE made lunch for him? Why couldn't he make his own damn packed lunch?" complains avowed feminist @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ as he grumbles through mouthfuls of broccoli and dried figs, "Here is a sign of a sickness in our society, a sickness of patriarchy and chauvinism! You should speak out, and publicly pinpoint gender inequality as the cause of this near-miss. If you, glorious leader, tell the men of this nation to make their own damn lunches, then they damn well will have to listen!"
[effect]outraged feminists wear 'Make Yer Own Damn Lunch' t-shirts
[stats]inclusiveness increases, social conservatism decreases, rudeness increases,

[option]"Call me Captain Obvious," says Captain Tom Obvious (one of the pilots), "but doesn't a near-miss air collision suggest we need to be spending more on air safety? Employ more air traffic controllers working shorter shifts, reduce night-time and bad weather flights, and introduce more safeguards and redundancies. That's how you make things safer."
[effect]safety regulations create long delays at the airport
[stats]economy decreases a little,transport spending increases, safety increases, death by accidents decreases,

[option]"This is Emergence at work," says wild-eyed lepidopterometeorologist Professor Frank Benjamin, "Too long has national policy been set by simplistic cause and effect models, when really what we need to be doing is researching the complexity of chaos, the beauty of multiple interacting systems and the madness of the mundane! Fund my research into Chaos Socioeconomics, and I think we can help you make policy decisions that lead to better outcomes, even if they are counter-intuitive at first."
[effect]a popular joke is that the government decides its policies by rolling dice
[stats] scientific advancement increases, government spending increases, taxation increases, ideological radicality increases, primitiveness decreases

[option]"The only thing emerging here is the Hand of the Divine," says reasonable sounding priest @@RANDOMNAME@@, "My scientist friend here is right that the world is too complex for the science of mankind to explain or predict. Disaster happens or does not, and the 'why' is beyond our understanding. Dispense with air traffic control and electronic systems, and instead require all pilots and passengers to pray before take off and landing. Have faith in a higher power!"
[effect]it's a miracle that there aren't more plane crashes than there are
[stats] scientific advancement decreases, government spending decreases, taxation decreases, ideological radicality increases, primitiveness increases, religiousness increases, authoritarianism increases, transport spending reduces, death by accidents decreases/increases (leave it up to issue editors)

Original Version:
Name:

For The Want of a Nail

Description:

A recent invesigation into a near miss between commercial airplanes revealed that it was due to an error on the part of an air traffic controller, who in turn was being distracted by his colleague chattering about how hungry he was, which was in turn caused by his colleague's missing packed lunch, which in turn was caused by his colleague's wife's temporary incapacity, in turn caused by a finger infection, in turn caused by a broken nail. Thus, the media are dubbing this "the Broken Nail Incident."

Validity:

Not valid for nations that have banned planes.

Options:

[option]"Symptom: fragile keratin, Diagnosis: Calcium deficiency." says medically and scientifically untrained Dairy Industry rep @@RANDOMNAME@@, "If you want to avoid these sorts of problems in future, you need to subsidise the dairies so we can increase supply of our products to the populace."
[effect]a popular belief is that 'A Cheese A Day Keeps Disaster At Bay'.
[stats]cheese exports increases, government spending increases, business subsidisation increases, taxation increases, obesity increases, health decreases, employment increases a little, scientific advancement decreases,

[option]"Wait? His WIFE made lunch for him? Why couldn't he make his own damn packed lunch?" yells avowed feminist @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ as he munches through a bowl of broccoli and dried figs, "Here is a sign of a sickness in our society, a sickness of patriarchy and chauvinism! Strengthen gender equality laws, and the punish evil sexism that led to this near miss!"
[stats]inclusiveness increases, social conservatism decreases, rudeness increases, wealth gaps decrease

[option]"This is Emergence at work," says wild-eyed Leipidometeorologist Professor Frank Benjamin, "Too long has national policy been set by simplistic cause and effect models, when really what we need to be doing is researching the complexity of chaos, the beauty of multiple interacting systems and the madness of the mundane! Fund my research into Chaos Socioeconomics, and I think we can help you make policy decisions that lead to better outcomes, even if they are counter-intuitive at first."
[effect]the governments policies sometimes seem entirely random and unrelated to the issues they are trying to address
[stats] scientific advancement increases, government spending increases, taxation increases, ideological radicality increases, primitiveness decreases, weather improves

[option]"Call me Mr. Obvious," says Mr. Robert Thomas Obvious, "but doesn't a near-miss air collision suggest we need to be spending more on air safety? Employ more air traffic controllers working shorter shifts, decrease air traffic a little, and introduce more safeguards and redundancies. That's how you make things safer."
[effect]fearful of mid-air collisions the nation's airports only let one flight land or take-off every half-hour
[stats]economy decreases a little,transport spending increases, safety increases, death by accidents decreases, primitiveness increases
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:40 am, edited 26 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:50 am

1. Tom Obvious should be a former member of the navy, making him "captain obvious".
  2. I believe the original phrase was "for want of a nail".
  3. Wouldn't both pilots be responsible for the crash?
  4. Move the "fearful of mid-air collisions" to the back of the effect, as "in fear of mid-air collisions".
  5. Double caps in option 2 effect.
  6. Remove the "bad joke explanations". If you need to explain the joke, then there is no joke.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Olleria and Garronland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Olleria and Garronland » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:58 am

It looks interesting, I'm just not sure why having more air traffic control would increase Primitiveness?

Surely that would increase if you banned aircraft as a result of wanting to avoid any future near misses, or else blamed the whole incident on God's will or the will of some evil Devil? (that could actually be an interesting 5th option).

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:16 am

Well, the bad joke explanations aren't going to be in the submission, they just provide a point for this forum to discuss whether these jokes were obvious, too obscure, etc.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:16 am

Olleria and Garronland wrote:It looks interesting, I'm just not sure why having more air traffic control would increase Primitiveness?

Surely that would increase if you banned aircraft as a result of wanting to avoid any future near misses, or else blamed the whole incident on God's will or the will of some evil Devil? (that could actually be an interesting 5th option).

That's fair enough - I was thinking more that the nation would have decreased transport connectiveness, and wasn't sure how to express that,

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:22 am

Leppikania wrote:
  1. Tom Obvious should be a former member of the navy, making him "captain obvious".
  4. Move the "fearful of mid-air collisions" to the back of the effect, as "in fear of mid-air collisions".
  6. Remove the "bad joke explanations". If you need to explain the joke, then there is no joke.

Why Captain Obvious rather than Mr. Obvious?

Re: pilots, I guess so. I can change the narrative so that its pilots misdealing with TCAS, but that seems over-technical and the story doesn't fit as well, and it seems not unreasonable to have air traffic control errors be the cause of a collision. I guess we could add " "near miss narrowly avoided by the skilled pilots" if we want to specifically take them out of the picture. Is it necessary though?

As to the effect line, I agree, thanks.

Double caps fixed. Though I had already, but must have done it in the spoilerblock.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:23 am

1) Don't explain your jokes. It was not pleasant having to read them all, especially considering I had got them all in the original draft.

2) Mr Tom Obvious should have been the pilot of one of the planes, making him ''Captain Obvious''.

3) That description is amazing. Keep it at all costs!

4) You could have just played the pun of the old saying in effect line 1 ''A cheese a day keeps disaster away''.

Very good draft. I wish it were already in the game.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Leppikania
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:03 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Leppikania wrote:

Why Captain Obvious rather than Mr. Obvious?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CaptainObvious
(Do not click if you wish to keep a sane number of tabs)
And I think I prefer Chan Island's premise better.
Last edited by Leppikania on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
Funny Quotes
Request an Embassy

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:18 am

Ah excellent, that looks to be an internet-age reference, rather than my fuddy duddy television one. Much better! Love the idea of it being Captain Obvious the Pilot as well.

Joke explanations excised.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:25 am

Just added fifth option as requested. Pleased with it, but awaiting feedback.

Leppikania
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:42 am

You missed the punctuation for "pilots", and I think the effect for option 5 could be improved. Perhaps "pilots are communicating with god instead of control towers"? Or is that just as bad?
Funny Quotes
Request an Embassy

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:57 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:[option]"Wait? His WIFE made lunch for him? Why couldn't he make his own damn packed lunch?" complains avowed feminist @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ grumbling through mouthfuls of broccoli and dried figs, "Here is a sign of a sickness in our society, a sickness of patriarchy and chauvinism! Strengthen gender equality laws, and punish the evil sexism that led to this near miss!"
It's not inequality if she wanted to make him lunch. There are women who like that kind of thing. I mean, someone gotta make the food, at least occasionally it's gonna be a woman. The existence of feminists won't matter if this particular lunch-maker happens to not be one.

Either give some indication that the actual wife in question was unhappy with the arrangement, or have the radical feminist ask for something over-the-top like banning women from doing traditionally-feminine things, or banning couples from helping each other in any way. Which... sounds rather "token crazy option".

Which is a shame, because I did find the idea of blaming sexism here funny. Maybe sponsor cooking lessons for men, or make it a mandatory part of school curriculum or something?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:[option]"This is Emergence at work," says wild-eyed Leipidometeorologist Professor Frank Benjamin,
1. I see what you did there :)
2. But it's spelled "lepidometeorologist". Actually, I think the proper term would be "lepidopterometeorologist". (Probably shouldn't be capitalized, either.)

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:[effect]its a miracle that there aren't more plane crashes than there are
"It's" should have an apostrophe.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:49 am

Made the latter two edits.

However, regarding the sexism option, that's kind of the whole point. Thats why I made it an enraged male feminist who is speaking on behalf of the downtrodden wife regardless of whether she actually thinks of herself as downtrodden, and regardless of the detail of the situation. Its basically the same situation as Terry Pratchett's Campaign for Equal Heights having no dwarf members.

As an enraged male feminist myself I think its sensible to be able to poke fun at myself sometimes.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:21 am

I think this final draft is good to go. Of course, wait a bit to see if everyone else agrees with me, but it has my blessing!
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:59 am

Yeah, I got to say its one of the ones I'm happier with generally. Creative collaboration always gives better results. Will let it sit and see if it can't be improved again.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:59 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:However, regarding the sexism option, that's kind of the whole point. Thats why I made it an enraged male feminist who is speaking on behalf of the downtrodden wife regardless of whether she actually thinks of herself as downtrodden, and regardless of the detail of the situation. Its basically the same situation as Terry Pratchett's Campaign for Equal Heights having no dwarf members.

As an enraged male feminist myself I think its sensible to be able to poke fun at myself sometimes.
My problem is that it's not clear what the option is actually doing.

NationStates is a government simulator, not a wife simulator. So you can't just have "wives shouldn't make lunch for their husbands" as an option without suggesting something the government is supposed to do about it.

The option simply says "strengthen gender equality laws" (which laws? how are they supposed to accomplish the described outcome?) and "punish the evil sexism that led to this near miss" (which actions would be punishable, exactly? and how would the government keep track of who made which sandwich?).

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:29 am

That's a very fair point. Let me rethink that...

Ok, have changed it, so now its about the Leader adopting a vocal public position, rather than enacting or changing any laws, which I guess will still have societal effects, but its more obvious that nothing is changing legislation-wise.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?