NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] And Guardian Angels sang this strain?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Spagna
Secretary

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] And Guardian Angels sang this strain?

Postby Spagna » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:36 am

Name:

And Guardian Angels sang this strain?

Description:

A traditional song which includes verses that refer to religion has caused a spur among @@NAME@@'s more secular groups after it was played on public loudspeakers today.

Validity

Not valid for nations which don't have public loudspeakers

Options:

[option]"This flies in the face of everything I believe in!" Says noteworthy Secularist @@RANDOMNAME@@, "The Government has no place to play songs that could possibly promote religion, this is simply unfair to those in the country that do not follow it! @@NAME@@ is better than that, and I demand that the current administration agree with the notions of secularism and ban any music with reference to religion from playing in public! This must be the charter, the charter of the land!"
[effect]The Government now censors music that could be interpreted to be religious.
[stats]Political freedom decreases a little, Godlessness increases, Authoritarianism increases a little, Government size increases a little.

[option]"While it is true, @@LEADER@@, that there are religious tones in a lot of historical songs of @@NAME@@," Whispers historian @@RANDOMNAME@@, "I don't see the negative effect of playing music written hundreds of years ago, I see it as respecting our nation's great tradition and history! So sing with me: Rule, @@NAME@@!"
[effect]Grandparents nationwide are among the few still satisfied with religious tunes playing in public.
[stats]Political freedom increases a little, Godlessness decreases a little, Religiousness increases a little, Culture increases a little.

[option]"This debate flies in the face of everything I believe in!" Says controversial theocratic Priest @@RANDOMNAME@@, "The Government must not only play music that promotes our faith, but the government and nation must outright adopt it! If only to appease the almighty! We should also lock away any heretical secularists who dare speak out against the great one! Faith must rule the radio waves!"
[effect]People who so much as take out a Walkman in public during "Holy Music Hour" are arrested.
[stats]Political freedom decreases, Godlessness decreases greatly, Religiousness increases greatly, Authoritarianism increases a little, Inclusiveness decreases, Government size increases a little, Social Conservatism increases greatly.

Name:

And Guardian Angels sang this strain?

Description:

A traditional song which includes verses that refer to religion has caused a spur after among @@NAME@@'s more secular groups after it was played on public loudspeakers today.

Validity

Not valid for nations with an official state religion
Not valid for nations which don't have public loudspeakers
Not valid for nations with low levels of godlessness

Options:

[option]"This flies in the face of everything I believe in!" Says noteworthy Secularist @@RANDOMNAME@@, "The Government has no place to play songs that could possibly promote a religion they officially have no stance on, when @@NAME@@ arose from out the azure main, our founders stated that religion should be separate from politics and the government, I demand that the current administration of @@NAME@@ agree with the notions of secularism and ban any music with reference to religion from playing in public!"
[effect]The Government now censors music that could be interpreted to be religious.
[stats]Political freedom decreases a little, Godlessness increases, Religiousness decreases, Authoritarianism increases a little, Government size increases a little.

[option]"While it is true, @@LEADER@@, that our nation was founded on secular principles," Whispers historian @@RANDOMNAME@@, "I don't see the negative effect of playing music written hundreds of years ago, let alone its ability to shift the religious principles of people, I see it as respecting our nation's great tradition and history! So sing with me: Rule, @@NAME@@!"
[effect]Thousands flock to churches after the government starts playing cultural music dating back to the dark ages in public.
[stats]Political freedom increases a little, Godlessness decreases a little, Religiousness increases a little, Culture increases a little.

[option]"This debate flies in the face of everything I believe in!" Says controversial theocratic Priest @@RANDOMNAME@@, "The Government must not only play music that promotes our faith, but the government and nation must outright adopt it! If only to appease the almighty! We should also lock away any heretical secularists who dare speak out against the great one! Faith must rule the radio waves!"
[effect]The government arrests anyone who so much as puts on personal headphones while publicly played religious tunes fill the streets.
[stats]Political freedom decreases, Godlessness decreases greatly, Religiousness increases greatly, Authoritarianism increases a little, Inclusiveness decreases, Government size increases a little, Social Conservatism increases greatly.
Last edited by Spagna on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Constitutional Monarchy with a politically active King and stronk military

Territory: Spain, Catalonia, Basque Country, Gibraltar. The Italian region of Tuscany.
Colonies in Spangien Guinea and Spangien Sahara

Progressive Spanish Catholic, generally center-left leaning.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:56 pm

An interesting issue this. A very good first draft.

Validity: As it stands why does there have to be a state religion? The @@FAITH@@ macros isn't even used once. It would do this issue favours if this stipulation was simply ditched, as it is currently written.
The godlessness stat should probably also be ditched. If there are more atheists in the nation, then there are more people who are potentially offended by religious tunes.

I like option 1, however that said I'm rather lenient on my nation's canon. Many aren't, and might not appreciate the issue assuming that the nation had secular founders. A more fireproof approach may just to simply stress the merits of secularism. Again, I'm fine with it but this is a warning.

In option 2, if you decide to avoid potential trouble in option 1, then it goes without saying a minor edit to their opening line would be needed. The effect line however is a bit boring. How about this alternative to spice things up?

[effect] the nation's dads groove to the religious music blaring on every street

Option 3's effect line is a bit long could be much more concise. How about this?

[effect] anyone who puts on headphones while religious tunes are filling the streets is arrested
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Spagna
Secretary

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Spagna » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:An interesting issue this. A very good first draft.

Validity: As it stands why does there have to be a state religion? The @@FAITH@@ macros isn't even used once. It would do this issue favours if this stipulation was simply ditched, as it is currently written.

I included that because if a nation has a state religion, then an argument on whether or not the nation should be secular or not would be null, (at least, from my point of view, if a nation has an official religion, arguments against said state's religion showing up in historical songs by secularists seems a bit pointless) looking back on it and your suggestion for changing issue 1, I'll probably end up removing that part of the validity, along with the godlessness validity part.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll edit the draft once I get the time.
Constitutional Monarchy with a politically active King and stronk military

Territory: Spain, Catalonia, Basque Country, Gibraltar. The Italian region of Tuscany.
Colonies in Spangien Guinea and Spangien Sahara

Progressive Spanish Catholic, generally center-left leaning.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:11 pm

The first time the word "after" in the description is redundant and should be removed. It should simply be "among". The wordy expression "that refer" would be better be put as "referring"

"Holy Music Hour" sounds like something both amazing and horrifying! Loving it!
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Return to Got Issues?