NATION

PASSWORD

[banner] The Other Way

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

[banner] The Other Way

Postby Kesshite » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:30 pm

Today I received 'The Other Way' banner, which reads "Develop a good economy without free markets."

The last issue I answered was 'A Question of Sports,' where I allowed corporate sponsorship of sports-teams.
Following new legislation in Kesshite, marketing departments of corporate giants compete to sponsor little league teams.

According to my economy page, Kesshite is 56% private industry and my pro-market index is 25.

It seems as though Kesshite still has free markets. Am I reading this incorrectly, or should I not have gotten that banner?
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Maybe they mean that your public companies fared exceptionally well, as they are not part of the 'free market'. I mean you can't sell a government owned company that easily.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:27 am

I think it's a threshold to qualify that you just about got. With 25ish percent of your total government expenditure on industry, and 25% of GDP being in government (plus almost 19% in State-owned enterprises), I suspect you may have hit the minimum necessary to qualify.

Singapore no2 wrote:Maybe they mean that your public companies fared exceptionally well, as they are not part of the 'free market'. I mean you can't sell a government owned company that easily.

It's actually remarkably easy to sell off a state-owned enterprise. History has many examples of it. British telecoms is an example of a state-owned enterprise that was sold off fairly easily.

Your first sentence though probably plays a role in this though. I agree with it.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:48 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:I think it's a threshold to qualify that you just about got. With 25ish percent of your total government expenditure on industry, and 25% of GDP being in government (plus almost 19% in State-owned enterprises), I suspect you may have hit the minimum necessary to qualify.

Singapore no2 wrote:Maybe they mean that your public companies fared exceptionally well, as they are not part of the 'free market'. I mean you can't sell a government owned company that easily.

It's actually remarkably easy to sell off a state-owned enterprise. History has many examples of it. British telecoms is an example of a state-owned enterprise that was sold off fairly easily.

Your first sentence though probably plays a role in this though. I agree with it.

I guess so... ... :p
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Undivulged Principles
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Undivulged Principles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:37 am

Just a note: a 25 pro market rating is quite low.
- I could RP my big toe to be more powerful than your nation. That doesn't mean it applies in NS
~ Source? I'm not your mommy. Do your own homework. Not providing third party support for opinions. Don't believe look it up yourself, or not. Idc
~ democracy allows the least qualified to judge the most..

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:49 am

Undivulged Principles wrote:Just a note: a 25 pro market rating is quite low.
It still means private enterprise is legal, though, otherwise Pro-Market would be negative.

I guess it depends on your definition of free market. Kesshite has a market that's heavily regulated but without actually being a command economy, still allowing companies to make their own decisions within the bounds of the regulations.

On a completely irrelevant note, it occurs to me that free markets very rarely actually sell you something for free :)

Undivulged Principles
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Undivulged Principles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:54 am

Having private enterprises doesn't mean you are in a free market. China has private businesses. So does Russia. You don't have to have command economies to inhibit business.
- I could RP my big toe to be more powerful than your nation. That doesn't mean it applies in NS
~ Source? I'm not your mommy. Do your own homework. Not providing third party support for opinions. Don't believe look it up yourself, or not. Idc
~ democracy allows the least qualified to judge the most..

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?