NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] His deeds upon his head, he craves the law!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] His deeds upon his head, he craves the law!

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:29 am

Description:
A legal battle has recently come to your attention, over the failure to repay debts. Grant, the defendant, had failed to pay 1 million @@CURRENCY@@ back to Boldkey, the lender. However, under the bond which they had signed, Boldkey could remove a pound of flesh of Grant from wherever he wished.

Validity:
Only for nations with law and order funding, nations with private industry, and nations with jails

[option]"@@LEADER@@, I deserve to obtain a pound of flesh from that bankrupt fellow over there, as we had both willingly signed the bond in the presence of a lawyer," says Boldkey matter-of-factly. "The function of the law is to uphold justice, is it not? I understand that if you make exceptions to the law, investor confidence in @@NAME@@ will weaken. Now, the question is not whether I should be allowed to spill Grant's blood, but whether I can acquire it from say, his neck?"
[effect]The law permits blatant murder "if it was stated in the agreement"
[stats]civil rights reduces, death by capital punishment increases, safety from crime increases, economy expands

[option]"Please spare me, I have a family to look after!" wails Grant from behind bars. He is promptly silenced by his lawyer, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who speaks, "What my client is trying to communicate is that the purpose of the law is to protect the rights of the smallest minority that has ever existed, which is the individual. If your honour permits the prosecution to carry out such an unrefined method of punishment, the law could be used as a tool for more harm than good. I implore that your honour consider this and decide against making this a benchmark for future cases."
[effect]Punishments are rarely enforced for "moral reasons"
[stats]civil rights increases, death by capital punishment is removed, the economy contracts, safety from crime decreases

[option]"We cannot commit human rights abuses, and we cannot deny the course of justice," blandly states @@RANDOMNAME@@, a government adviser. "Why not just give the defendant a few strokes of the cane and a long jail sentence? It's still miles better than mutilation or state-sanctioned murder."
[effect]Businesspersons who default on their payments are caned
[stats]civil rights decreases slightly, the economy expands slightly, safety from crime increases slightly

[option]All of a sudden, a woman outfitted in a tuxedo and a powdered wig enters the room. "No, Boldkey will get what is justly his, which is a pound of flesh, nothing more, nothing less!" she objects. "But due to him not being a licensed agent of the law, we'll have to charge him with murder, or at least assault immediately after he obtains the pound, depending on the extent of the injury he inflicts upon Grant."
[effect]Court proceedings feature social justice warriors entering to point out glaring loopholes
[stats]death by murder decreases very slightly
Thank you to Rivercastle, Annihilators of Chan Island and Trotterdam for your contribution.
Last edited by Singapore no2 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Rivercastle
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rivercastle » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:27 am

Is the first option a bit too explicit?

The description should be rephrased as this:
A legal battle has recently come to your attention, over the failure to repay debts. Grant, the defendant, had failed to pay 1 million @@CURRENCY@@ back to Goldkey, the lender. However, under the bond which they had signed, Boldkey could remove a pound of flesh of Grant from wherever he wished.
Last edited by Rivercastle on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I'm doing right now: Chilling out in the Coffee House, writing issues with Singapore no2.
Like writing issues too? Come join us in the Coffee House, where you'll get a free flow of any coffee of your choice!

Also, I'm the founder of Tranquility Sphere, a region where all are welcome.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:12 am

Somebody has watched or read the Merchant of Venice. Also= Bolkey/Shylock. I like this.

I love how matter of factly this is presented.

My biggest concern is the validity. Why so many combinations of aspects? I don't think there are many nations that fulfill all of those criteria. Nations that only have private business is the one that I think should go first. You don't need that much, I'd say 10% private business, before some morally grey contract is sealed. How is open borders and foreigners relent if you just have your Shylock and Antonio be citizens of @@NAME@@.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:11 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:Somebody has watched or read the Merchant of Venice. Also= Bolkey/Shylock. I like this.

I love how matter of factly this is presented.

My biggest concern is the validity. Why so many combinations of aspects? I don't think there are many nations that fulfill all of those criteria. Nations that only have private business is the one that I think should go first. You don't need that much, I'd say 10% private business, before some morally grey contract is sealed. How is open borders and foreigners relent if you just have your Shylock and Antonio be citizens of @@NAME@@.

I was trying to make it true to the story, where Shylock was an "alien", and thus open borders and international trade would be needed. But I assume that is somewhat overboard, so I'll tone down the requirements a notch.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)

Quote of the year:

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:54 pm

I've been thinking more about the validity. The economy doesn't have to be that great to have contracts like this appear, surely? Law and Order doesn't have to be that large to enable this to happen.

I agree prisons should be there, although I'd specifically have it in the description that Grant's in prison at this second. Private industry being there is obvious.

The other thing I was wondering was the possibility of another option, but maybe that would follow the storyline of the Merchant of Venice too much. The ''Sure, Goldkey is completely allowed to get Grant's flesh as per contract. But we'll have to charge him with murder/assault afterwards based on a technicality." Very devious, and would put Goldkey in an awkward position. But then again, this is the solution proposed in the original play.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:52 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:I've been thinking more about the validity. The economy doesn't have to be that great to have contracts like this appear, surely? Law and Order doesn't have to be that large to enable this to happen.

I agree prisons should be there, although I'd specifically have it in the description that Grant's in prison at this second. Private industry being there is obvious.

The other thing I was wondering was the possibility of another option, but maybe that would follow the storyline of the Merchant of Venice too much. The ''Sure, Goldkey is completely allowed to get Grant's flesh as per contract. But we'll have to charge him with murder/assault afterwards based on a technicality." Very devious, and would put Goldkey in an awkward position. But then again, this is the solution proposed in the original play.

Actually, in a proper "modern" court proceeding, the person dispensing the punishment should be given complete immunity, so in reality, Shylock would not be charged with murder, because prison executioners don't get hung either, right?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:31 am

Singapore no2 wrote:[option][...]"If your honour permits the prosecution to carry out such an unrefined method of punishment, the law could be used as a tool for more harm than good."[...]
[effect]All criminals have been released, as jails are deemed "uncivilized"
There is no logical connect between protesting "such an unrefined method of punishment" (which implies contrast with other methods of punishment which are sufficiently refined) and banishing any form of punishment whatsoever (or at least the most common and normal form of punishment for serious crimes in civilized countries).

This is a cruel and baseless trap for players thinking that they're picking the "sane" option.

Singapore no2 wrote:Actually, in a proper "modern" court proceeding, the person dispensing the punishment should be given complete immunity, so in reality, Shylock would not be charged with murder, because prison executioners don't get hung either, right?
Ah, but you don't let just any random civilian carry out an execution, even if a prisoner is sentenced to death. Shylock/Boldkey isn't a licensed agent of the law, now is he?

So he would have to find a licensed agent of the law to remove the pound of flesh. Except, oh wait, there are no agents licensed to do that, because that isn't a valid punishment codified in the law.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:Ah, but you don't let just any random civilian carry out an execution, even if a prisoner is sentenced to death. Shylock/Boldkey isn't a licensed agent of the law, now is he?

So he would have to find a licensed agent of the law to remove the pound of flesh. Except, oh wait, there are no agents licensed to do that, because that isn't a valid punishment codified in the law.

I like this one. Very close to the actual thing in the play.

Personally I'd have the deceitful nature of the 4th option be a bit more explicit, but that might just be my own tastes. As I said earlier, I like how everyone (except Grant, who's interrupted anyway) is very matter of fact and dry about the whole scenario, and that last one is true to that.

Other than that, this thing looks pretty good to go. I noticed you had put the validity to a sort that is both expected, and opens it up to a lot of nations. Good job. I wish this one well.

Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesshite » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:33 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:[option][...]"If your honour permits the prosecution to carry out such an unrefined method of punishment, the law could be used as a tool for more harm than good."[...]
[effect]All criminals have been released, as jails are deemed "uncivilized"
There is no logical connect between protesting "such an unrefined method of punishment" (which implies contrast with other methods of punishment which are sufficiently refined) and banishing any form of punishment whatsoever (or at least the most common and normal form of punishment for serious crimes in civilized countries).

This is a cruel and baseless trap for players thinking that they're picking the "sane" option.

The effect text allows perverse outcomes. It does not have any real impact on your nation.
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:55 am

Kesshite wrote:The effect text allows perverse outcomes. It does not have any real impact on your nation.
Effect texts are sometimes whimsical or slightly exaggerated, but they should be broadly in line with what's actually happening. An effect line shouldn't say you're releasing all criminals from prison unless you're actually aboloshing prisons (as can already be done via #043 option 2 and #159 option 2, and reversed through #199 option 1, all of which are clear about what they're doing in the option text).

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:30 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Kesshite wrote:The effect text allows perverse outcomes. It does not have any real impact on your nation.
Effect texts are sometimes whimsical or slightly exaggerated, but they should be broadly in line with what's actually happening. An effect line shouldn't say you're releasing all criminals from prison unless you're actually aboloshing prisons (as can already be done via #043 option 2 and #159 option 2, and reversed through #199 option 1, all of which are clear about what they're doing in the option text).

Don't worry, I changed it long ago. It now reads "Punishments are rarely enforced for "moral reasons""
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:30 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:

I like this one. Very close to the actual thing in the play.

Personally I'd have the deceitful nature of the 4th option be a bit more explicit, but that might just be my own tastes. As I said earlier, I like how everyone (except Grant, who's interrupted anyway) is very matter of fact and dry about the whole scenario, and that last one is true to that.

Other than that, this thing looks pretty good to go. I noticed you had put the validity to a sort that is both expected, and opens it up to a lot of nations. Good job. I wish this one well.

Thanks! I'm planning on making one about "The Count of Monte Cristo" as well.
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:40 am

I'm bored. Look, the thing is, I want to submit this pretty soon, so any suggestions?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:55 am

Boredom or impatience is an absolutely terrible reason to submit an issue. It pretty much guarantees it will be discarded. Try actually making it better instead.

Rivercastle
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Rivercastle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:11 am

Shouldn't have written so many at one go :p
What I'm doing right now: Chilling out in the Coffee House, writing issues with Singapore no2.
Like writing issues too? Come join us in the Coffee House, where you'll get a free flow of any coffee of your choice!

Also, I'm the founder of Tranquility Sphere, a region where all are welcome.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:33 pm

Singapore no2 wrote:I'm bored. Look, the thing is, I want to submit this pretty soon, so any suggestions?

Why haven't you already submitted it? It was/is good to go!

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:06 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:Boredom or impatience is an absolutely terrible reason to submit an issue. It pretty much guarantees it will be discarded. Try actually making it better instead.

Don't mind me asking, but what should I improve exactly?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:02 am

Any suggestions?
My Published Issues
Death Note

Quote of the year:

Corperatetopia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Corperatetopia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Can you do another one like this, but make it more pro Shylock (my real life stance)?! Can you also include the forced conversion and the unfair anti Jewish laws in one of the choices, please?! One choice would actually give Shylock RIGHTS, but not to kill Antonio. Instead, Antonio is made to apologize. Another choice is to give Shylock the rights that he never had as well, but Antonio is given a clean slate. A third choice would give Shylock rights and let him kill Antonio. Another choice is to keep up with the story, which is to screw Shylock over, force him to convert, let Antonio mock him, and basically torment the poor Jew. A fifth choice is to give Shylock the death penalty. Finally, while Shylock gains no rights, ANTONIO learns his lesson and apologizes to Shylock. Thanks so much.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?