NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] For I Want To Go To @@CAPITAL@@ Fair

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] For I Want To Go To @@CAPITAL@@ Fair

Postby Golgothastan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:29 pm

There are a few issues about music, but none about folk revival.
    Name

For I Want To Go To @@CAPITAL@@ Fair

Description

The prize in a competition for children to sing the best version a traditional @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ folk song went unclaimed after it emerged that no one under the age of 35 had ever actually heard the song, leading to concerns that @@NAME@@ is losing its cultural identity.

Validity

Has not banned music? Can't remember if this is a possibility.

Options

[option]"No one cares about traditional @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ music anymore," grumbles folk connoisseur @@RANDOMNAME@@ over a pint of real ale. "It's all this modern nonsense, and half the lyrics are in Bigtopian! If young people want to listen to pop music, fair enough, but that shouldn't come at the expense of our nation's cultural history. Maybe if radio stations had to devote a few minutes to folk music every hour, we'd start to see a revival of interest!"
    [effect]Radio @@NAME@@'s audience figures have plummeted since the introduction of the Mandatory Folk Time Fun Hour

[option]"Have you ever met a teenager?" preens the appallingly smug @@RANDOMNAME@@, Minister for Youth Participation. "If you force folk music onto the airways, they'll just change stations to foreign channels, or give up on radio altogether! We have to be more subtle about it: maybe a social media campaign, coupled with paying a few prominent pop stars to include some folk tunes on their next albums? We could get really creative with this!"
    [effect]the government freely signs over the recording rights to folk songs to wealthy record producers

[option]"Oh, that's just perfect: millionaire pop stars stealing folk tunes to pad their record sales!" fumes professionally outraged labour historian @@RANDOMMALENAME@@. "Folk songs were written by the people, for the people, to protest injustices and honour the common worker who toiled the fields. The government should be stopping this appropriation, not supporting it!"
    [effect]folk songs are protected by so many copyright laws no one is allowed to sing them anymore

[option]"I'm sorry, why is this a problem?" complains DJ Bunga-Bunga, whose latest hit consisted of seven minutes of random signal noise set to a tracking beat. "If anyone were interested in folk music it would still be in the charts. Its time is past: just let it die off, like the dinosaurs."
    [effect]@@NAME@@ has lost all trace of its national heritage as the music of the past is forgotten

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Will I sound like an ignoramus if I have to ask what song the issue title is referencing?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Not at all: Widecombe Fair is an English song associated with folk revival.

Return to Got Issues?