NATION

PASSWORD

Inappropriate Language?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Saint-Sebastian
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Inappropriate Language?

Postby Saint-Sebastian » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:49 am

Hi.

I had a query about the language in one of the issues I received (Vamos Mi [National Animal]). The third options is this: "You wimps are a disgrace!" bellows lycra-clad gym instructor Tobias Nagasawa. "You don't need cars or flamingoes to keep up. It's about time someone whipped the lot of you into shape. Give me four hours a day with these pansies and I'll have them catching criminals in no time at all. Now drop and give me twenty!"

The term pansy/pansies has a very clear meaning in my part of the world - it refers to effeminate / gay men in a derogatory way. (I think this is the case in most English speaking countries). I don't have a problem with the word per se, I was just wondering since I haven't come across similar epitaphs used in the issues such as (apologies) "tranny", if it would be consistent that the word should be removed?

Obviously I recognise it's a character stating a position, and not the game. I just think to be consistent if there is an injunction on using loaded slurs, then pansy/ pansies should be removed too.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:56 am

"Pansy" can be a derogatory term for homosexuals. It can also be a derogatory term for weak/effeminate men, without the homophobic connotations. That's the way it's used in this issue.

That aside, we don't guarantee that you won't ever come across words you consider offensive in issues.

Saint-Sebastian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint-Sebastian » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:04 am

Anyway you cut it, this word, as an insult, is a pejorative term loaded against gay men. Calling any man "weak and effeminate" implies he is gay, queer, not masculine enough (womanly and therefore sexually submissive, cunning, and deceitful etc). There are an endless sea of websites, blogs and university gender and sexuality courses that will all repeat this point over and over and over. Undermining a man's masculinity culturally and historically links to anti-gay prejudice. This word means that action.

So please, either change the word in accordance with the policies on using real world slurs, OR confirm that using such terms is acceptable in issues.

Ether way I don't care what word you do use, just apply the rules consistently.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:09 am

Saint-Sebastian wrote:Calling any man "weak and effeminate" implies he is gay, queer, not masculine enough (womanly and therefore sexually submissive, cunning, and deceitful etc).

No, it doesn't.

The wording is not going to be changed.

Saint-Sebastian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint-Sebastian » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Saint-Sebastian wrote:Calling any man "weak and effeminate" implies he is gay, queer, not masculine enough (womanly and therefore sexually submissive, cunning, and deceitful etc).

No, it doesn't.

The wording is not going to be changed.

Well, what can I say? Thank goodness I had a small dinner so I can fit in all this humble pie. Really, what other option is there for me in the face of such a well argued, reasoned and unexpectedly educational response? Who knew I was so obviously wrong? Clearly not I! If only I could have the opportunity to crawl up in that delightfully enlarged noggin of yours so I could bask in the radiant warmth of your confidence in just being right. I was particularly impressed with the way you utilised such a consistent range of sources to back up your point of view that no, just because this word has a specifically and anti-gay meaning when used as an insult doesn't mean anyone should be offended when it's used as an insult. Hell why not use the word for all kinds of other insults that don't mean a gay man? Perhaps we can expand it to mean any man who is limp-wristed, lisping, high-pitched, flamboyant, girly, femme-acting, shrill, or camp? Obviously just as long as its does't JUST mean "gay". That would be inappropriate to use as an insult. Socrates would weep in his poisoned grave at your arguing skills.

You are a truly inspiring moderator. Thank you for considering my request and responding with the grace, compassion, empathy , thoughtfulness, and pleasantness that is so sorely lacking in digital exchanges. You are truly a beacon of enlightenment on the internet for all minorities. A happy day has come now we can feel safe raising our heads above the parapet of daily struggle and insult to humbly ask a question when we feel an un-intetioned wrong has occurred. I especially enjoyed the way in which you answered my question. It was both surprisingly funny, yet serious, the way in which you explain the rules on using derogatory slurs in NS issues. Anyway, I must stop spraying you with these compliments! No doubt you're needed to whisper sage words in the ears of ethics professors, chief justices and global decision makers to let them know what is what, how to respond with similar degrees of charm and flexibility and most importantly, not to conceded to possibly, ever, perhaps, maybe being in the wrong and amending your mistake.

Sincerely,
Thank you for your time.
Last edited by Saint-Sebastian on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 am

And we're done here.

Return to Got Issues?