NATION

PASSWORD

Power Problems Need Bright Solution, issue question

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
New Ravania
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Power Problems Need Bright Solution, issue question

Postby New Ravania » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 pm

The Issue

The oldest power station in New Ravania suffered a catastrophic failure last night, plunging a third of New Ravania's national power supply grid into darkness. There is no debate that it needs to be replaced, but the question is with what?

The Debate

1: "The solution is clear," says environmental activist Alexei Utopia. "Wind turbines and solar power stations are the cleanest there are. We must switch power production to forms of renewable energy, that will never run out. The only minor problems are that wind farms will take up a great deal of space and of course we can't exactly rely on the weather. It isn't as though we control it. But think of how much healthier people will be without all that pollution!"

2: "Wind power? Solar collectors? Bah! Have you ever wondered when the least amount of strain is placed on the national grid? WHEN THE SUN IS SHINING!" exclaims Southern New Ravania Electra official Dave Wong. "We need power under our control, and cheaply. Coal has been the cheapest and most abundant power source for ages. We don't need this airy fairy wind malarky when we have cheap and reliable power available for all. True, pollution will be a bit on the heavy side but I'm sure that's only a minor problem, with how well funded our health system is!"

3: "Now the way I see it is that it's either green, expensive, and sprawling; or compact, polluting and cheap. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the best of both worlds? Well, we can!" claims fission technician Samuel Jefferson. "Nuclear power is reliable, clean, and although it isn't cheap, it won't break the bank. There is a risk of deadly meltdown, but this is relatively small, and the only people who could be against this are anti-nuclear protesters, but what do we care about those tree-hugging hippies?"

----------------

I can understand 2's impact on the invironment of a nation, but my question is this, what about 3? I like the thought of Nucleor Power, but for some reason I get the feeling that in choosing 3 I'll somehow be lowering the invironmental standing of my nation in some way in the discription, which I would rather not do. Any information on the outcome of choosing 3 would be helpful.

Saaturia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saaturia » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:07 pm

New Ravania wrote:
The Issue

The oldest power station in New Ravania suffered a catastrophic failure last night, plunging a third of New Ravania's national power supply grid into darkness. There is no debate that it needs to be replaced, but the question is with what?

The Debate

1: "The solution is clear," says environmental activist Alexei Utopia. "Wind turbines and solar power stations are the cleanest there are. We must switch power production to forms of renewable energy, that will never run out. The only minor problems are that wind farms will take up a great deal of space and of course we can't exactly rely on the weather. It isn't as though we control it. But think of how much healthier people will be without all that pollution!"

2: "Wind power? Solar collectors? Bah! Have you ever wondered when the least amount of strain is placed on the national grid? WHEN THE SUN IS SHINING!" exclaims Southern New Ravania Electra official Dave Wong. "We need power under our control, and cheaply. Coal has been the cheapest and most abundant power source for ages. We don't need this airy fairy wind malarky when we have cheap and reliable power available for all. True, pollution will be a bit on the heavy side but I'm sure that's only a minor problem, with how well funded our health system is!"

3: "Now the way I see it is that it's either green, expensive, and sprawling; or compact, polluting and cheap. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the best of both worlds? Well, we can!" claims fission technician Samuel Jefferson. "Nuclear power is reliable, clean, and although it isn't cheap, it won't break the bank. There is a risk of deadly meltdown, but this is relatively small, and the only people who could be against this are anti-nuclear protesters, but what do we care about those tree-hugging hippies?"

----------------

I can understand 2's impact on the invironment of a nation, but my question is this, what about 3? I like the thought of Nucleor Power, but for some reason I get the feeling that in choosing 3 I'll somehow be lowering the invironmental standing of my nation in some way in the discription, which I would rather not do. Any information on the outcome of choosing 3 would be helpful.

Well, the outcome for option three is something like "Protesters are picketing the opening of the nation's newest nuclear power plant." What that equals for the environment I don't know.
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.41

New Ravania
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Ravania » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Oh, alright. I figured it would be something along the lines of some of the mining issues that change you from "invironmentally stunning" to "barren wasteland", but I guess I was just thinking too far into it. Thank you.

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

power

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Choose solar and wind power if you want to improve the environment and your nation's health.

Romano-Constantinopolis
Civilian

Founded: Mar 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Romano-Constantinopolis » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Cynthia McKinney wrote:Choose solar and wind power if you want to improve the environment and your nation's health.

I doubt it would improve the environment tho. Manufacturing PV cells creates toxic waste, and wind farms are landscape hazards.

It certainly improves health, though.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:54 am

Romano-Constantinopolis wrote:
Cynthia McKinney wrote:Choose solar and wind power if you want to improve the environment and your nation's health.

I doubt it would improve the environment tho. Manufacturing PV cells creates toxic waste, and wind farms are landscape hazards.

It certainly improves health, though.

Please do not gravedig.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Return to Got Issues?