NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Science Journalism Under Scrutiny

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Science Journalism Under Scrutiny

Postby Golgothastan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:31 pm

I've never tried writing an issue before so this may be crap, but here goes. I know it's a bit similar to "Free Press Too Free?", but the emphasis is more on science journalism specifically.

Description

After the @@NAME@@ Telegraph posted an article suggesting a popular soft drink causes cancer, while the @@NAME@@ Times posted an article claiming the same drink cured cancer, a diverse coalition of scientists, consumers and the professionally enraged have demanded reforms to the way science journalism is regulated.

Validity

Valid for all? Unless there's an on/off for censorship, in which case invalid for nations that have already abolished freedom of the press

Options

[option]"The state of science journalism in this country is getting ridiculous," claims @@RANDOMNAME@@, the exasperated Professor for the Public Understanding of Science at the University of @@NAME@@. "Science journalists have a special responsibility to report the truth: otherwise, we get scaremongering and misinformation. The government needs to establish a committee to ensure the validity of all scientific claims in newspapers. And, if you're looking for someone to chair it..."
[effect]every newspaper science article comes with fifty pages of expert opinion and legal disclaimers attached
[stats]civil freedoms decrease, administration increases, Book Publishing decreases, happiness increases, health increases, intelligence increases

[option]"Excuse me? The government is going to tell us what we can and can't print? I think not!" thunders @@RANDOMNAME@@, author of the recent article, 'Local Mother Disproves Theory Of Gravity'. "This is just an excuse for you to censor our work. Journalists should never be required to submit their work for government approval, and science journalism is no exception. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an article about chemtrails to write..."
[effect]the science sections of newspapers are rife with inaccuracy and speculation
[stats]civil freedoms increase, Book Publishing increases, corruption decreases, happiness decreases, health decreases, intelligence decreases

[option]"The only reason these articles led to such panics is that people didn't understand them in their proper context," grumbles @@RANDOMNAME@@, your education advisor. "If the people were more scientifically literate, then they'd be able to interpret these articles for themselves. Let's just increase spending on education, especially in the sciences. And if we need to pay for it, we can just raise taxes on newspapers! Everyone wins!"
[effect]kindergartens feature lessons on string theory and evolutionary biology
[stats]Education increases, intelligence increases greatly, taxes increase, economy decreases slightly

Evil Grantica
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Evil Grantica » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Golgothastan wrote:I've never tried writing an issue before so this may be crap, but here goes. I know it's a bit similar to "Free Press Too Free?", but the emphasis is more on science journalism specifically.

Description

After the @@NAME@@ Telegraph posted an article suggesting a popular soft drink causes cancer, while the @@NAME@@
Maybe make this @@CAPITAL@@?
Times posted an article claiming the same drink cured cancer, a diverse coalition of scientists, consumers and the professionally enraged have demanded reforms to the way science journalism is regulated.

Validity

Valid for all? Unless there's an on/off for censorship, in which case invalid for nations that have already abolished freedom of the press
Yeah, this would be Not valid for nations without free press. Or Not valid for nations with censorship.

Options

[option]"The state of science journalism in this country is getting ridiculous," claims @@RANDOMNAME@@, the exasperated Professor for the Public Understanding of Science at the University of @@NAME@@. "Science journalists have a special responsibility to report the truth: otherwise, we get scaremongering and misinformation. The government needs to establish a committee to ensure the validity of all scientific claims in newspapers. And, if you're looking for someone to chair it..."
[effect]every newspaper science article comes with fifty pages of expert opinion and legal disclaimers attached
I would expect that few science articles would be published because of how slow the government agency is in approving new articles.

[stats]civil freedoms decrease, administration increases, Book Publishing decreases, happiness increases, health increases, intelligence increases
Happiness, health, and intelligence would seem to be unaffected. Might go down as either science articles are rarely published or published late or published with too much bureaucratic lawyer speak.

[option]"Excuse me? The government is going to tell us what we can and can't print? I think not!" thunders @@RANDOMNAME@@, author of the recent article, 'Local Mother Disproves Theory Of Gravity'. "This is just an excuse for you to censor our work. Journalists should never be required to submit their work for government approval, and science journalism is no exception. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an article about chemtrails to write..."
[effect]the science sections of newspapers are rife with inaccuracy and speculation
[stats]civil freedoms increase, Book Publishing increases, corruption decreases, happiness decreases, health decreases, intelligence decreases

[option]"The only reason these articles led to such panics is that people didn't understand them in their proper context," grumbles @@RANDOMNAME@@, your education advisor. "If the people were more scientifically literate, then they'd be able to interpret these articles for themselves. Let's just increase spending on education, especially in the sciences. And if we need to pay for it, we can just raise taxes on newspapers! Everyone wins!"
[effect]kindergartens feature lessons on string theory and evolutionary biology
[stats]Education increases, intelligence increases greatly, taxes increase, economy decreases slightly
Economy would seem to be benefited or at least unaffected. Also, scientific advancement would go up.

Just a few thoughts.
The other Grantican nation is Grantica.

This is the dark timeline Grantica of draconian evil.

The other one is filled with people who actually care about things other than power and oppression.

Some might say we are alike, but that's not true.

The New Sea Territory wrote: Calm down, Liberty Prime.

Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Golgothastan wrote:...I know it's a bit similar to "Free Press Too Free?", but the emphasis is more on science journalism specifically...

Unfortunately, this.
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

Return to Got Issues?