NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] They Walk Among Us

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Ardreas
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] They Walk Among Us

Postby Ardreas » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:35 am

Title: They Walk Among Us

Description: A recent pulp fiction novel has stirred belief among many of @@NAME@@'s more eccentric population that they are being visited by tourists... from the future!

Validity: Not valid for nations with a negative Book Publishing Industry rating

Options:

[option]"It's true!" Shouts a woman with a bag full of pamphlets on time travel. "I was visited by my own great granddaughter the other day! She came to see me at my home in @@CAPITAL@@ and posed for a picture with me. Such a delightful young lady. Of course I couldn't deny her when she wanted to take my gold locket as a souvenir."
[effect]People entertain perfect strangers in their homes in the hopes of meeting future descendants.
[stats]increases ideological radicality, increases book publishing, decreases safety a little, decreases safety from crime, increases stupidity

[option]"This is nothing more than people taking advantage of the gullible to rob them in their own homes by pretending to be a future family member!" Insists police chief @@RANDOMNAME@@. "What we need to do is crack down on this and arrest anyone looking for so-called grandparents and such. A few nights in jail ought to set them straight."
[effect]@@NAME@@'s jails are filling up with people arrested for "visiting family."
[stats]decreases ideological radicality, increases law enforcement, increases safety a little, increases safety from crime, decreases tourism, increases toxicity

[option]"You know, I'm sensing an opportunity here!" Chimes in @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of @@NAME@@ Tourism Today. "These tourists obviously want to take home souvenirs, but how can they carry anything more than small jewelry? I say what we should do is set up special 'time tourist' centers in the town square and let people buy a personal time capsule where they can store whatever souvenirs they collect! Then we'll just set the timer for whatever year they want, and they can go on their way knowing their loot is safe!"
[effect]Police investigations slow to a crawl as stolen items vanish without a trace.
[stats]increases the economy a little, increases employment, decreases safety from crime, increases tourism

[option]"It's a fascinating idea," says a man in black, stepping out of the shadows. "It's probably nothing but fantasy, but if there really are people here from our future, they must have valuable information about where this nation is headed. Wouldn't you want us to know what they know?" He slips on a pair of dark shades and pulls out a small, shiny cylinder. "Just give me the go-ahead, and I'll take care of it all. And don't worry about public backlash... you won't even remember we had this conversation."
[effect]Tourists in @@CAPITAL@@ randomly disappear, while the military is growing increasingly agitated about impending Bigtopian world conquest.
[stats]decreases civil rights a little, increases defense forces, decreases employment a little, increases law enforcement, increases taxes a little, decreases tourism, increases toxicity

---------------------------------------------

I have done my best to make sure this issue is balanced and plausible. It's not about actual time travel, or anything too far out there to be believable. Basically, because of a popular book some people think we're being visited by time tourists from the future, and there are several options how to respond to that. Please let me know if this is reasonable for an issue or not, and if there are any adjustments that should be made.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Loftegen
Secretary

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Loftegen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:15 am

I like this one. It's clever.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:23 am

I approve.

Ardreas
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardreas » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:22 am

Thanks. I'll leave this here for another day or two in case there is more input, and then I'll go ahead and submit it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the stats for each option? Are they appropriately balanced, or would anyone suggest tweaking them?
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:50 am

Ardreas wrote:Thanks. I'll leave this here for another day or two in case there is more input, and then I'll go ahead and submit it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the stats for each option? Are they appropriately balanced, or would anyone suggest tweaking them?

Got Issues is an incredibly slow moving forum and a few days is generally not enough time to receive adequate feedback.

Also, don't fret about stats too much. They're more for giving a flavour of what you think is going on, and are then messed around by the editors and techs.
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

Return to Got Issues?