NATION

PASSWORD

Don't do the crime, still do the time [Draft]

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Don't do the crime, still do the time [Draft]

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:19 am

Hey, I have an idea for an issue :

Title: Don't do the crime, still do the time

Description: As police officers are paid for the amount of arrests they make, a recent decrease in the amount of crime across @@NAME@@ has seen a spike in the number of people comitting petty crimes going to prison

Validity: Everybody with a population over 500 million

[option]"You don't understand how much pressure we're under, says sargent @@RANDOMNAME@@. If we don't arrest people we simply don't get paid. We simply don't have enough money to support ourselves, so we have to start enforcing laws that we would normally be persieved as petty laws. If you reduced the number of arrests a police officer has to make, then we would not have to resort to arresting people who commit minor crimes
[effect]There has ban an increase in @@NATION@@ since the amount of arrests that police have to make has decreased.
[stats]crime increases, civil rights increases

[option]"You can't possibly mean that? says police commitioner @@RANDOMNAME@@. Sure police crime is low now, but it will increase! If we reduce the number of arrests that police officers make, then they will be used to the reduced number of arrests, and when the crime rate increases again, our police will be too lazy to deal with the crime, as they are used to the reduced number of arrests. We all know the spike in crime is inevitable, so I say we increase the number of arrests police have to make in order to increase their readiness. If a few people commiting minor crimes get arrested along the way, then it doesn't matter, crime is still crime, no matter how large the scale"
[effect] Worn-out and tired police officers are usually seen arresting people who stay 2 minutes too long at hour parking spots since they have to make unreasonable amount of arrests to make ends meet
[stats]Crime decreases dramatically, civil rights decrease dramatically

[option]"If there is less crime, then their should be less police officers", states noted economist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Do you know how much money we spend on police wages each year? Too much! Instead of wasting time constantly decreasing the number of arrests they have to make, I say we reduce the number of police! The economy benifits, and the innocent people benifit and the police will not get lazy due to a lower number of arrests. Everyone wins!!!"
[effect]Police are constantly loosing their jobs in order to balance the books
[stats] I don't know

[option]"Everyone wins? What about the police officers who are loosing their jobs?" states former police commitioner, @@RANDOMNAME@@ "The crime rate will always go up and down, that's a given. There is also the issue that some police officers are located in areas where there are more crimes, and some in areas with less crimes. The system we have now does not work and issues such as these will constantly arise. I say that we change the system so that police are paid by the amount of crime, rather than the number of arrests. This is a more logical system!"
[effect] Police are paid by crime rather than by number of arrests.
[stats]I don't know

[option]"Or instead of wasting time and money going through the bureaucracy of changing police numbers, number of arrests and the entire system, I say we keep things the way they are" states noted statistician and mathematician @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Sure there is a decrease in crime now, but that's only because of a decrease in population. When the population decreases, the amount of crime decreases and the amount of police officers decreases. However, when the population increases, the amount of crime increases, and the amount of police officers increase. I say we leave everything the way it is, and let the law of ratios solve all of our problems. I have kept records to prove this trend"
[effect] There are periods of extremely high crime levels, and periods of extremely high rates of arrests of innocent citizens as the government waits for "the law of ratios" and keeps the number of arrests that police officers have to make constant
[stats]I don't know

[option]"I don't support changing the number of arrests that police officers make either" states a random citizen of no significance "the crime rate will always go up and down, and our police will always have to be changing the number of arrests that police make, which will always see them putting more or less effort at certain times. I say that if the amount of crime decreases, illegalise more stuff, and if the crime rate increases, make more thingys legal. That way there isn't too much increase in arrests or too much increases in crime
[effect] The amount of laws increase and decreases with the amount of crime
[stats] I don't know

[option]"Police? Who even needs them?" asks noted Vigilante @@RANDOMNAME@@ "They're corrupt, their agressive and they would do anything to increase the number of arrests just to make more money. The people of @@NATION@@ are not stupid and we're able to look after ourselves. We don't need no coppers telling us what to eat. I say we abolish police officers, and let the public solve its own issues with crime"
[effect]The nation has abandoned its police force in favour of vigilantes
[stats] I don't know
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:42 am

Bump
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:31 am

Fix the quotation marks.

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:38 am

Just throwing it out there, but why would police be paid piecemeal wages (which invites corruption) instead of hourly or salary as everyone else?
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Chad Big Bones Jones
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Chad Big Bones Jones » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:35 am

Is this linked to an existing issue which can cause police to be paid per arrest? If not, I think such an issue would need to be created first in order for this to make any sense. It's absolutely bonkers to assume that that the default payment scheme for police would be per arrest.

Return to Got Issues?