NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Found ancient lore... do you want more?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kalvskar
Secretary

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Found ancient lore... do you want more?

Postby Kalvskar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Name:
Found ancient lore... do you want more?

Description:
Last month, a group of archeologists unearthed what seemed to be the ruins of the ancient civilization of Atlytopia, buried a long time ago by a Nature disaster of catastrophic proportions. After some weeks of removing debris and classifying the intact pieces of genuine art, @@RANDOMNAME@@, an anthropologist involved in the research group, claims to have found an array of cabins which Atlytopians might have been using for instantly travelling to other cities. According to him, each cabin could be used to open a wormhole to teleport a person to any of the other cabins in less than one second. The citizens demand you to take a decision.

Validity:
All nations.

Options:

[option]"Wooah", exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, writing some uncomprehensible equations on a paper sheet. "According to this, Atlytopian technology was millenia ahead of ours. We MUST investigate this new technology and search for more ancient artifacts, no matter the cost. It is true that our automobile engineers will become obsolete and loose their jobs, but the advantages for the citizens will greatly compensate it".
[effect]highways are covered in grass and bushes
[stats]Taxation greatly increases, Tourism increases, Public Transport increases, Automobile Manufacturing decreases, Insurance decreases, The Environment decreases, Mining increases, Welfare increases, Economy increases.

[option]"You're asking the government to do WHAT?", grunts @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Cars and Co., angrily banging the expensive ebony table of your meeting room with his fat punch, "I will demand whoever tries to sink my busin... my employees' jobs. Cars have been acompanying us for centuries but, if the people decided to replace their cars for these teleporters, many factories would close. Imagine the implications for the Economy! And, by the way... if the government supported us with a few @@CURRENCY@@s..."
[effect]scientists in bycicles cross traffic jams
[stats]Automobile Manufacturing increases, Taxation increases, Insurance increases, Economy increases.

[option]"You cannot stop progress", asserts @@RANDOMNAME@@, owner of Honeybeach Travel, featuring one of her flashy flowered fit dresses. "Someone is going to put those teleporters to work, whether you want it or not. But I agree with you in one thing: we cannot make the citizens pay for it. What about relaying it on private companies? My firm, for example, could fund the research. It is true that only the richest citizens could pay for our unique Honeybeach teleporters, but the turism income would significantly increase. Think on the economy!"
[effect]tourists from all @@REGION@@ come to @@CAPITAL@@ to visit the ancient ruins of Atlytopia
[stats]Tourism greatly increases, Automobile Manufacturing decreases, The Environment decreases, Mining increases, Economy increases.

[option]"That technology cannot be allowed for the public use", protests Air Force General @@RANDOMNAME@@, deploying markers at random on your world map. "It would become a security hole that our enemies could use to infiltrate into our nation. I say that we keep it secret. Military engineers could modify teleporters to make them one-way; that way, WE could use them to infiltrate behind the enemy lines. @@NAME@@'s force will be feared in @@REGION@@!"
[effect]many nations from @@REGION@@ are forced to pay tributes to @@NAME@@
[stats]Taxation greatly increases, The Environment decreases, Mining increases, Information Technology increasees, Tourism decreases, Arms Manufacturing increaes, Defense increases.

[option]"It is evident from your proposal that this new technology will only bring violence to our lives", whispers Father @@RANDOMNAME@@, priest of @@FAITH@@, removing his hood to reveal a pale face with red eyes. "I say teleporters are evil inventions, like the ones spoken of in the Holy Scriptures. Buried they must be".
[effect]there are local superstitions about strange creatures coming from the Valley of Atlytopia in the nights
[stats]Civil rights decrease, Religion & Spirituality increases, The environment increases, Tourism increases, Taxation increases.

[option]"Why don't you ask people, dude?", shouts a teenager who happened to be passing by. "Do not forget about us, @@LEADER@@!"
[effect]everybody has something to say about what to do with the legacy of Atlytopia
[stats]Political freedoms increase, Book publishig increases, Tourism increases, Taxation increases.
Last edited by Kalvskar on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:52 am

Issues are generally required to be quite realistic. This is not.
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Octuagesimo Octavo
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Octuagesimo Octavo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:56 pm

The stuff I changed is in bold print.
Kalvskar wrote:[option]"You're asking the government to do WHAT?", grunts @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Cars and Co., angrily banging the expensive ebony table of your meeting room with his fat punch, "I will demand whoever tries to sink my busin... my employees' jobs.The Car industry must be protected! And, by the way... if the government supported it with a few @@CURRENCY@@s..."
[effect]scientists in bicicles (spelled: bicycles) cross traffic jams
[stats]Automobile Manufacturing increases, Taxation increases, Insurance increases, Economy increases.

Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Jeckland wrote:Issues are generally required to be quite realistic. This is not.

This.

Kalvskar wrote:[option]"Wooah", exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, writing some uncomprehensible equations on a paper sheet. "According to this, Atlytopian technology was millenia ahead of ours..."

I would be fascinated to hear what kind of equations are involved in predicting how far a civilisation is advanced...is it a first order approximation?
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

Burgera
Attaché

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Burgera » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:59 pm

Unfortunately, not exactly realistic. Still, if you want to pursue this, consider adding some statements about the risks of this technology - for example in the option in favour of the automobile industry.
Guns and burgers!

Kalvskar
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalvskar » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Jeckland:
Stephen Hawking might disagree ;)

88º:
I have updated the text with your corrections, thank you.

Panageadom:
Good point. Assume it is a statistical prediction based on historical data about @@NAME@@'s technological development. But yes, first order: I don't want to give it a deeper thought... it's just a game.

Burgera:
Yes, it might not be evident. I have updated the text with a clarification on why is it dangerous for the car industry and added a reference to wormholes.

Burgera
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Burgera » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Kalvskar wrote:Burgera:
Yes, it might not be evident. I have updated the text with a clarification on why is it dangerous for the car industry and added a reference to wormholes.

I actually thought about something like #274 option 3 - with people dying during the teleportation process or something like that, while the car industry claims to live up to the highest standards.
Guns and burgers!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:40 pm

I'd say this concept runs afoul of this point from the How to Write an Issue sticky:

Sirocco wrote:Is it possible? I've seen issues about radical cancer cures and such, but until there is one, I wouldn't accept any about them. Make up an imaginary disease of some sort. Large mechanoid robot soldiers can be kept out too. There are issues like the vat issue which are borderline but at least they're feasible. Keep it real, man.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kalvskar
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalvskar » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:16 am

Burgera:

I love your idea, last time I had not understood it. Moreover, it makes that option quite funnier.

Everybody:

There seems to be general consensus that this issue is too fantastic to be accepted, so I am going to give it up. Thak you all! :clap:

Burgera
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Burgera » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Hey, do you think this issue couldn't actually make sense with something more realistic, like 3D printers instead of teleportation? I just don't know if this fits the mysterious perished ancient civilization theme, or how important this aspect is to you.

Also, you could consider adding something implying that it wasn't a terrible natural disaster that destroyed this civilization, but something these people had invented.
Guns and burgers!

Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:49 am

Burgera wrote:Hey, do you think this issue couldn't actually make sense with something more realistic, like 3D printers instead of teleportation? I just don't know if this fits the mysterious perished ancient civilization theme, or how important this aspect is to you.

Also, you could consider adding something implying that it wasn't a terrible natural disaster that destroyed this civilization, but something these people had invented.

I still think an ancient civilisation discovering 3d printing (requiring electronics, imdustrialisation, etc.) is still unrealistic. The only technology I can think of that modern civilisations have aquired from old ones is the occasional medical thing, like chewing bark for quinine (or was that something else...)
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?