NATION

PASSWORD

An idea for an issue...

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Democratic Republic of North America
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

An idea for an issue...

Postby Democratic Republic of North America » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Issue: Animals rights groups and environmentalists are demanding government aid in regrowing the rain forests.

Positions:
1; "We had no right to cut down the rain forest. They were the animals homes' and it has turned our nation into a ugly, barren wasteland" Says smelly hippy sunflower Jones. "We must do our best to regrow them, and proclaim them protected lands."

2; "The rainforests are important. We do need to regrow them, but we still need the lumber, and can't afford to have such as large supply of wood to be off limits." Says woodchip tycoon Richard Meyers."

3; "The rainforests are overrated. If we grow them back, where will I put my golf course?" Asks billion dollar heir Michael Philmore.

Daratus
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Daratus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 pm

I like this idea, but you seriously have to read the stickies; although, because I had the free time I decided to make a fixed version of this to help you out:

Name: Regrow @@NAME@@?

Validity: Must have cut down the rain forest to mine uranium.

Description: Environmentalist groups have recently been protesting about the government's lack off effort in reforesting the landscape after allowing an old rain forest to be cut down.

[option] "We had no right to cut down the rain forest", says environmentalist Thomas Flowerpower. "They were the animals homes' and by ruining them we have turned our nation into a ugly, barren wasteland! We must do our best to regrow them and then, punish those evil men who killed off the life that forest held in the name of making horrible weapons of mass destruction!... my poor pet snuggles, you will be missed!"
[effect] Environmentalists across the nation rejoice as the government promises programs to help reforesting, while lumberjacks and companies are meanwhile being chased down.
[stats] Economic strength slightly decreases, environmental beauty increases some, a little more of government spending goes to the environment.

[option] "Oh come on, forests are overrated." says billionaire Michael @@CURRENCY@@ while preparing to golf. "If we grow them back, where will I put my tenth golf course?-FORE!"
[effect] The protests continue as business men personally thank the government for continuing to aid industry even at the cost of the world around them.
[stats] Economic strength increases, environmental beauty decreases, and any existing government subsidies to the environment are cut massively.

[option] "The rainforests are important, I think we can all agree on that" passerby @@RANDOMNAME@@ chips in. "We do need to regrow them, however, we still need to that lumber for economic growth and can't-will not afford to have such as large supply of wood to be off limits. In summary, I propose we continue our rapid consuming but try to improve growth rates to compensate for that; the only problem is both parties will be angry, because the environmentalists will still not have their protection, and the businesses have to deal with extra space being used for lumber production. But hey, if it takes two eggs to crack an omelet to feed a whole nation I think it's worth it! "
[effect] Environmental activists and business men constantly walk away from disagreements without either side winning.
[stats] Private sector expands slightly, very slight increase in government spending towards the environment, and economic strength goes a peg up.
I might like democracy IRL, but that won't stop me from crushing rebels in a fictional country dammit.

My nation: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=daratus
My region: http://www.nationstates.net/region=the_west_tropicals

Return to Got Issues?