NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] "Banks: Bogey or Bust?"

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

[Draft] "Banks: Bogey or Bust?"

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Name: Banks: Bogey or Bust?

Validity: Only nations with economic freedoms above moderate.

Description: Due to some questionable lending practices, Credit Crunch Capital, a leading investment bank in @@NAME@@, has found itself with no money on hand. The bank will soon be forced to close its doors if nothing is done.

[option]"Look, this isn't really our fault," @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Credit Crunch Capital says during an impromptu meeting on the golf course, "The people we bought those mortgages from profited and left us holding the bag! If we fail, so will the people we owe money to, and the people they owe money to. You can't let that happen! The entire economy of @@NAME@@ could fall apart. If you'd be willing to let the government bail us out, that can all be avoided. We'll even promise not to go for such risky investments in the future. FORE!"
[effect] banks are bailed out when they fail and allowed to keep profits when they don't
[stats] increased taxes, increased funding to administration, increased funding to industry, economic freedoms slightly decreased,

[option]"You have got to be kidding me," @@RANDOMNAME@@, your caddy, interrupts, "These fat cats have been using my money to make stupid investments and now they want MORE!? Let them fail. My deposit is insured by the government anyway. That nine-iron's a good choice sir,"
[effect] "a shoebox under the bed" is considered a solid investment
[stats] increased taxes, decreased funding to administration, economic freedoms increased

[option]"Woah Woah Woah," @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Treasury Minster and golf partner says, "Now I agree, it's ridiculous to just hand these banks money and hope the problem goes away. Why don't we just take them over? We'll assume their debt and work this thing out ourselves. At least that way we know the problem will be solved for good. Dang, right in the sandtrap!"
[effect] recent bank nationalizations are rendering foreign shareholder's investments worthless
[stats] greatly increased taxes, greatly increased funding to administration, greatly increased funding to industry, economic freedoms greatly decreased

Ok, so there isn't a banking industry in NS. And I've never done an issue before... but this is what I came up with. Critique to your hearts content because I have no idea what I'm doing here. The description could probably use some punching up at the very least. Also is it true that the backlog on these is all the way to mid 2012?

And yes, that's a pun on the word bogey(it can also mean "a generic source of fear").
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Lenyo
Powerbroker

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenyo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 am

I love this draft. A few critiques:

This needs a validity. Communist nations won't get this issue. I'd shorten the title to Bank Bogey Or Bust

Due to some questionable lending practices, Ideal Innovations and Investments, a leading investment bank in @@NAME@@, has found itself short of funds.
The first clause was an understatement. The last one shouldn't be also. Specify just how short of funds III is.

Credit Crunch Investments is a funnier name than Ideal Innovations and Investments. So use Credit Crunch Investments in the intro text.

CEO of Credit Crunch Investments says[NO COMMA] during an impromptu meeting on the golf course

You shouldn't let that happen!
Make that You can't let that happen! It's more urgent.

banks are bailed out when they fail[NO COMMA] and allowed to keep profits when they don't

The speaker in option #3 would be randomname, not just name.

foreign shareholders[APOSTROPHE] investments worthless
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular
representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Lenin, State and Revolution (1917)

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Ok, I've integrated all of the suggestions you just made into the draft. I went with "Banks, Bogey or Bust?". Also, I had meant to take "Credit Crunch Investments" out completely(I thought I was going a bit far with that one), but accidentally left it in there on the 2nd mention.

Since you think it's alright, I've expanded it to Credit Crunch Capital, and used it in both locations where the bank needed a name. I put a validity of nations with moderate economic freedoms or higher... I think that's how it's done? Or should I say "No Communist Countries"? Or should I say both(can an nation be communist and have moderate or higher economic freedoms)?

I'm certainly open to more input.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freemopia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Freemopia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Remove what is crossed out:
"You have got to be kidding me,"
"Woah Woah Woah,"
"NowI agree,

Also is it true that the backlog on these is all the way to mid 2012
I guess that is true.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Freemopia wrote:Remove what is crossed out:
"You have got to be kidding me,"
"Woah Woah Woah,"
"NowI agree,

Also is it true that the backlog on these is all the way to mid 2012
I guess that is true.

I don't uh, huh?

Anyway, I submitted this a day or two ago since I hadn't gotten any feedback. Hope to see it come up one day.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:46 pm

We generally suggest leaving drafts open for a few weeks at least seeing as this is the slowest forum. If you get more usable feedback, you can always resubmit.

Some quick suggestions:

- descriptions should state the issue with no bias. I'd suggest shortening it to: "Credit Crunch Capital, a leading investment bank in @@NAME@@, has found itself with no money on hand." to eliminate the current bias.
- I'm not a fan of the first and third effects. Unfortunately, nothing jumps to mind to replace them.

Other than those small changes, I think it's a solid draft.

Also is it true that the backlog on these is all the way to mid 2012?

We have some 2013 drafts being worked on, but yes, early/mid 2012 is accurate.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to Got Issues?