NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] @@NAME@@ A Chemical Wonderland?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] @@NAME@@ A Chemical Wonderland?

Postby Shadow Afforess » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Name: @@NAME@@ A Chemical Wonderland?

Description: After scientists demonstrated that Bisphenol-A (BPA), a common form of plastic, can cause harmful genetic defects in young children, concerned parents have demanded that the government take steps to rid @@NAME@@ of all forms of BPA. Protesters from both sides have entrenched themselves outside of the capital.

Validity: All.

[option]"Bisphenol-A is everywhere and you can't avoid eating or drinking it! Even glass and metal cans are coated in BPA and just touching the plastic can cause it to leech into the skin!" Screeches a mother, with a flock of 13 girls and boys milling around her. "@@NAME@@ needs to force companies that produce these artificial chemicals to prove they are safe so we never have to face this crisis again!"
[effect]Old-growth forests are being cleared as paper replaces plastic products
[stats]Health increases, environment decreases, woodchipping industry increases sharply, authoritarianism increases

[option]"Prove they are safe?!" yells a company foreman. "There are over 80000 different types of common chemicals used in industrial manufacture, and new ones discovered each day! There isn't enough time in the universe to prove that each distinct chemical isn't harmful. Industry and market forces can self-regulate, and if these parents want an end to BPA, they can simply stop buying it!"
[effect]Glow-at-night radioactive water bottles are the latest fad.
[stats]Health decreases, pro-market increases, environment decreases

[option]"I think there is a valid middle ground for every debate", a scientist interjects, while keeping the foreman and parents apart. "Yes there are harmful chemicals out there, but what @@NAME@@ really needs is an efficient way to test and determine the safety of chemicals. That way Industries can stay flexible and allow for harmful chemicals to be isolated."
[effect]Homeless & criminals are routinely rounded up and subjected to a battery of chemical tests.
[stats]Compassion decreases sharply, health increases, apathy increases, "death while in police custody" increases
Last edited by Shadow Afforess on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:23 am

My basic concern is that this harks to close to the existing issue about the use of agricultural pesticides. This is going to be a bit of a quick skim, sorry...

Shadow Afforess wrote:Name: @@NAME@@ A Chemical Wonderland?

Description: After scientists demonstrated that Bisphenol-A (BPA), a common form of plastic Wikipedia informs me that this is an actual chemical. It may be better to use a placeholder "parody chemical" that has all the qualities you want, without its mention being controversial or having to rely on IRL studies., can cause harmful genetic defects in young children Possibly better to have the mother introduce this argument. Or at the very least, reaffirm it., concerned parents have demanded that the government take steps to rid @@NAME@@ of all forms of BPA. Protesters from both sides have entrenched themselves outside of the capital.

[option]"Bisphenol-A is everywhere and you can't avoid eating or drinking it! Even glass and metal cans are coated in BPA and just touching the plastic can cause it to leech into the skin!" Screeches a mother, with a flock of 13 girls and boys milling around her This seems like it should be funny, or add character, but for some reason, I just skip over this when I read it.. "@@NAME@@ needs to force companies that produce these artificial chemicals to prove they are safe so we never have to face this crisis again!"
[stats]Health increases, environment decreases, woodchipping industry increases sharply, authoritarianism increases

[option]"Prove they are safe?!" yells a company foreman. "There are over 80,000 different types of common chemicals used in industrial manufacture, and new ones discovered each day! There isn't enough time in the universe to prove that each distinct chemical isn't harmful. Industry and market forces can self-regulate, and if these parents want an end to BPA, they can simply stop buying it!" The two main arguments here are very different, and don't sow together particularly well. The first regards the difficulty (and technical impossibility) of proving harm, while the second gives a short - and to many, unfamiliar - justification of market-led regulation. Might be worth having one run into the other better, or proposing one unified solution. (The solution proposed doesn't really seem to help the first problem)
[effect]Glow-at-night radioactive water bottles are the latest fad. ala watches?

[option]"I think there is a valid middle ground for every debate", a scientist i.e. someone better qualified to talk on this than either of the two speakers - biases the issue interjects, while keeping the foreman and parents apart. "Yes, there are harmful chemicals out there, but what @@NAME@@ really needs is an efficient way to test and determine the safety of chemicals. That way industries can stay flexible and allow for harmful chemicals to be isolated." This seems like an easy cop-out. What about the immense cost? What about your own unintentional side-effect.
[effect]Homeless & criminals are routinely rounded up and subjected to a battery of chemical tests.
[stats]Compassion decreases sharply, health increases, apathy increases, "death while in police custody" increases
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

Acario
Lobbyist

Founded: May 08, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Acario » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:Name: @@NAME@@ A Chemical Wonderland?

Description: After scientists demonstrated that Bisphenol-A (BPA), a common form of plastic, can cause harmful genetic defects in young children, concerned parents have demanded that the government take steps to rid @@NAME@@ of all forms of BPA. Protesters from both sides have entrenched themselves outside of the capital.

[option]"Bisphenol-A is everywhere and you can't avoid eating or drinking it! Even glass and metal cans are coated in BPA and just touching the plastic can cause it to leech into the skin!" screeches a mother, with a flock of 13 girls and boys milling around her. "@@NAME@@ needs to force companies that produce these artificial chemicals to prove they are safe so we never have to face this crisis again!"

[option]"Prove they are safe?!" yells a company foreman. "There are over 80000 different types of common chemicals used in industrial manufacturing, and new ones discovered each day! There isn't enough time in the universe to prove that every distinct chemical is safe. Letindustry and market forces can self-regulate; if these parents want to remove BPA products from the shelves, they can simply stop buying it!"
[effect]Glow-at-night radioactive water bottles are the latest fad.

[option]"I think there is a valid middle ground in every debate", a scientist interjects, while keeping the foreman and parents apart. "Yes, there are harmful chemicals out there, but what @@NAME@@ really needs is an efficient way to test and determine the safety of chemicals. This way industries stay flexible while allowing harmful chemicals to be isolated."

Strikes are omissions and underlines are changes. I did not address any of the concerns Panageadom stated just the wording.

Return to Got Issues?