NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] GMO or No?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Freemopia wrote:I recommend you read the light bulbs...

What's a light bulb, in this context? I'm confused.

EDIT: Worked it out, they're stickies.
Last edited by Panageadom on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

Freemopia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Freemopia » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:59 am

Frisbeeteria
So you, with no experience at all in issue writing, are here to lecture Panageadom, who has at least four issues in-game under their name?

If Panageadom is so much smarter than me, then why did it say this?
Freemopia wrote:I recommend you read the light bulbs...

you are supposed to have some moderate options.
Not really, no. All of your options need to be "wrong" as well as right.

Then why does it say this:
The structure of a three-option issue is (usually) made up of FOR, AGAINST, and FREAKY COMPROMISE. The 'freaky compromise' is where you can really let your imagination run wild, but keep it at least vaguely sensible.

Anything more than three options is usually devoted to issues which have a vaster number of possibilities than your usual FOR and AGAINST. It could be something like two options FOR but in differing ways and two options against but in differing ways. Take a look at existing issues and try to see how the structure fits in.

Some issues may have a lot of options because it's an issue about choosing things from a list of possibilities, such as deciding which department the majority of your funding will go to, or picking someone to be an advisor, etc.

You should read the light bulb.
Plus a lot of issues I see have moderate options. Moderate is something that is in the middle, not extremely for or extremely against, a compromise.

I frequently read people complaining about not having moderate options, not having enough options, and not having options that they like, Most of what I have seen is that people agree with me on this.

Except the game creator, who specifically chose to make the issues satirical, and the game staff who follow his long term instructions.

Maybe the game creator should do what it’s players want if it wants more players.
Plus I have seen many issues that have sensible options in them.

You probably want me to quit playing, probably because you don’t like my good ideas. You should be fired from being a moderator.

I try to help someone so maybe it wouldn’t take a year before looking at a proposal and wouldn’t have to look through a bunch of bad submissions, and try to give my opinion on how to make it good, and this is what I get.

Panageadom
The light bulb in the got issues section that says how to write an issue.
Last edited by Freemopia on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:19 am

Freemopia wrote:If Panageadom is so much smarter than me, then why did it say this?

Pan was confused (as was I initially) because those threads aren't commonly referred to as 'light bulbs'. They're called stickies.

Freemopia wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:Not really, no. All of your options need to be "wrong" as well as right.

Then why does it say this:

It also says this:
What makes a good issue

One of the key factors of NationStates is that no matter what you decide, there will be a lot of people unhappy with your decision. Every option should be wrong in some way, and there should NEVER be a case where one option is 'right' and another 'wrong', because that's not what NationStates is about. Playing the 'right' way would imply that NationStates is a game with a way to win and this is not the case. NS is not a game you should be able to 'win' in any sense. Anyway: your idea must be an argument with differing points of view. That's what an issue is.

Maybe the game creator should do what it’s players want if it wants more players.

The game has been going strong for over a decade with more than 3.5 million players. It's fair to say we've got a good thing going.

I try to help someone so maybe it wouldn’t take a year before looking at a proposal and wouldn’t have to look through a bunch of bad submissions, and try to give my opinion on how to make it good, and this is what I get.

The problem is you aren't treating it like an opinion. You've been here a month and a half and are acting like you know more than a player and mod who have been here years.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Freemopia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Freemopia » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:44 am

Luna Amore
It also says this:
What makes a good issue

One of the key factors of NationStates is that no matter what you decide, there will be a lot of people unhappy with your decision. Every option should be wrong in some way, and there should NEVER be a case where one option is 'right' and another 'wrong', because that's not what NationStates is about. Playing the 'right' way would imply that NationStates is a game with a way to win and this is not the case. NS is not a game you should be able to 'win' in any sense. Anyway: your idea must be an argument with differing points of view. That's what an issue is.

That does not make this invalid: The How To Write An Issue:
“The structure of a three-option issue is (usually) made up of FOR, AGAINST, and FREAKY COMPROMISE. The 'freaky compromise' is where you can really let your imagination run wild, but keep it at least vaguely sensible.

Anything more than three options is usually devoted to issues which have a vaster number of possibilities than your usual FOR and AGAINST. It could be something like two options FOR but in differing ways and two options against but in differing ways. Take a look at existing issues and try to see how the structure fits in.

Some issues may have a lot of options because it's an issue about choosing things from a list of possibilities, such as deciding which department the majority of your funding will go to, or picking someone to be an advisor, etc.”

And does not mean sensible options that people might agree with can’t be options, since I see them in issues often.

The game has been going strong for over a decade with more than 3.5 million players. It's fair to say we've got a good thing going.

That does not mean it can not be improved.

The problem is you aren't treating it like an opinion. You've been here a month and a half and are acting like you know more than a player and mod who have been here years.
I said I try to help someone and give my opinion.
I assume the draft is up because they wanted advice. Just because I have not been here as long as them does not mean I wont have any good ideas they have not thought of, does not mean I don‘t have any valuable advice, and does not mean I am not smarter then them on certain points. Many others have already liked some of my advice in other threads. If they don‘t like my advice fine, I left it as that.

Previous

Return to Got Issues?