NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted]Florists Blooming Mad

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Submitted]Florists Blooming Mad

Postby DWAsnia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:31 pm

My first issue ever, although I think it is pretty good. The title doesn't quite fit, but I'm using it for right now. Also suggestions for the validity (well any suggestion period) would be much appreciated, so until I can think of one, I'm leaving it blank.

On to the draft, shall we?

Title: Florists Blooming Mad

Description: Maxtopian Grass, an invasive plant with an extremely short gestation period, rapid growth, and hallucinogenic properties, has infested @@NAME@@'s hillsides. After smothering endangered wildflowers and crop-laden fields alike, an unlikely coalition of environmentalists and business owners have petitioned the government for action.

Validity: All

Options

[option]“These damn weeds are out of control!” shouts basket-weaving magnate @@RANDOMNAME@@. “They've completely destroyed my bamboo crop and are overrunning everything else! The government needs to kill these noxious weeds quickly and give money to businesses like mine to repair the damages.”
[effect]@@NAME@@'s countryside is brown as the government sprays potent weed-killer.
[stats]Economy increases, Basket-weaving increases greatly, taxes increases, corruption increases, environment decreases greatly

[option]“For once I agree with my capitalist colleague in theory,” your Minister of Environment, @@RANDOMNAME@@, says, “but I disagree in methodology. Given vast research funding, we could develop a harmless chemical to eradicate Maxtopian Grass. If all goes well, we could use the same technology to eliminate all the major weeds in @@NAME@@.
[effect]A colossal government-biochemical complex stictly controls and monitors the sale and use of pesticides, herbicides, and chemical compounds.
[stats]Environment increases greatly, Business Subsidization decreases greatly, government size increases greatly, taxes increases

[option]“There's, like, no need to kill the grass, man,” says Kitty Rainbow Hyacinth, a greasy-haired nature-lover, as she nonchalantly lights a joint of Maxtopian Grass. “I mean, take a look at it. It's like totally good for other stuff, like chillaxing. Just back off -- man.”
[effect]Maxtopian Grass has disappeared as addicts comb @@NAME@@ for hallucinogenic drugs.
[stats]Increases environment slightly, increases civil rights greatly, increases recreational drug use steeply, decreases health, Economy decreases.

[option]“Eureka!” exclaims scientist and two-time felon @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Maxtopian Grass's growth is astounding! Imagine if we utilized their genes for other crops, like wheat! We could plant and harvest it all within a month. We could feed all of @@REGION@@ with it. No need to import food anymore, if we use the genes from the Maxtopian Grass! There might be a tiny chance of side-effects, but who cares?
[effect]Citizens often hallucinate after eating wheat cross-bred with Maxtopian Grass.
[stats]Health decreases steeply, Agriculture increases greatly, environment decreases slightly

'[option]“Use the genes for food? HA!” loudly laughs General @@NAME@@ who, for some odd reason, has been by your side since the outbreak of Maxtopian Grass. “Maxtopian Grass is a perfect bio-weapon that can wipe out our enemies agriculture! Our scientists research into creating Maxtopian Grass has proven successful and the subsequent 'accidental' contamination of a few localized sites prove its effectiveness. We need more funding to begin immediate construction of a payload delivery system, though. ”
[effect]After initial government funding, the "Digitaria Efficacy and Delivery" project was abruptly cancelled after an unexplained quarantine breach wiped out the research faculty.
[stats]Weaponization increases greatly, military spending increases, civil rights decrease, authoritarianism increases, taxes increase

Description: Maxtopian Grass, an invasive plant with an extremely short gestation period, rapid growth, and hallucinogenic properties, has infested @@NAME@@'s hillsides. After smothering endangered wildflowers and crop-laden fields alike, an unlikely coalition of environmentalists and business owners have petitioned the government for action.

Validity: All

Options

[option]“These damn weeds are out of control!” shouts basket-weaving magnate @@RANDOMNAME@@. “They've completely destroyed my bamboo crop and are overrunning everything else! The government needs to kill these noxious weeds quickly and give money to businesses like mine to repair the damages.”
[effect]@@NAME@@'s countryside is brown as the government sprays potent weed-killer.
[stats]Economy increases, Basket-weaving increases greatly, taxes increases, corruption increases, environment decreases greatly

[option]“For once I agree with my capitalist colleague in theory,” your Minister of Environment, @@RANDOMNAME@@, says, “but I disagree in methodology. Given vast research funding, we could develop a harmless chemical to eradicate Maxtopian Grass. If all goes well, we could use the same technology to eliminate all the major weeds in @@NAME@@.
[effect]A colossal government-biochemical complex stictly controls and monitors the sale and use of pesticides, herbicides, and chemical compounds.
[stats]Environment increases greatly, Business Subsidization decreases greatly, government size increases greatly, taxes increases

[option]“There's, like, no need to kill the grass, man,” says Kitty Rainbow Hyacinth, a greasy-haired nature-lover, as she nonchalantly lights a joint of Maxtopian Grass. “I mean, take a look at it. It's like totally good for other stuff, like chillaxing. Just back off -- man.”
[effect]Maxtopian Grass has disappeared as addicts comb @@NAME@@ for hallucinogenic drugs.
[stats]Increases environment slightly, increases civil rights greatly, increases recreational drug use steeply, decreases health, Economy decreases.

[option]“Eureka!” exclaims scientist and two-time felon @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Maxtopian Grass's growth is astounding! Imagine if we utilized their genes for other crops, like wheat! We could plant and harvest it all within a month. We could feed all of @@REGION@@ with it. No need to import food anymore, if we use the genes from the Maxtopian Grass! There might be a tiny chance of side-effects, but who cares?
[effect]Citizens often hallucinate after eating wheat cross-bred with Maxtopian Grass.
[stats]Health decreases steeply, Agriculture increases greatly, environment decreases slightly

[option]“Use the genes for food? HA!” loudly laughs General @@NAME@@ who, for some odd reason, has been by your side since the outbreak of Maxtopian Grass. “Who needs food when you have replaceable soldiers? Imagine those possibilities. Instead of having kids die during wars, we could deploy clones! If we use the genes from Maxtopian Grass we could develop trained soldiers that don't feel pain in a few years. We could conquer the world!”
[effect]After initial government funding, the "Maxtopian Grass Supersoldier" project was abruptly cancelled after several unexplained explosions destroyed the research facilities.
[stats]Weaponization increases greatly, military spending increases, civil rights decrease, authoritarianism increases

Description: Maxtopian Grass, an invasive plant with an extremely short gestation period, rapid growth, and hallucinogenic properties, has infested @@NAME@@'s hillsides and gotten environmentalists and business owners like up in arms.

Validity: [blank]

Options

[option]“These damn weeds are out of control!” shouts basket-weaving magnate @@RANDOMNAME@@. “They've completely destroyed my bamboo crop and overrunning everything else! The government needs to kill these 'things' quickly and help businesses like me repair the damages. You'd need money and that money needs to come from somewhere. Just don't tell the taxpayers.”

[option]“For once I agree with my capitalist colleague in theory,” your Minister of Environment, @@RANDOMNAME@@, says, “but I disagree in methodology. In a few weeks, we could develop a mostly harmless chemical, well except to Maxtopian Grass. Plus, if all goes well, we could do the same to all the major weeds in @@NAME@@, even if we kill a few birds in the process. The funding has to come somewhere, business subsidization, for example.
[effect]Four-winged birds are often found throughout @@NAME@@ as the government sprays 'safe' weed-killer.
[stats]Environment increases greatly, Business Subsidization decreases greatly

[option]“There's, like, no need to kill the grass, man,” says Kitty Rainbow Hyacinth, a greasy-haired nature-lover, as she nonchalantly lights a joint of Maxtopian Grass. “I mean, take a look at it. It's like totally good for other stuff, like chillaxing. You should totally legalize like drugs and stuff.”
[effect]Maxtopian Grass has disappeared as addicts comb @@NAME@@ for the hallucinogenic drugs.
[stats]Increases environment slightly, increases civil rights greatly, increases recreational drug use steeply, decreases health.

[option]“You guys don't understand!” exclaims scientist and two-time felon @@RANDOMNAME@@. “Their growth is astounding! Imagine is we utilized their genes for other crops, like wheat! We could plant and harvest it all within a month. We could feed all of @@REGION@@ with it. No need to import food anymore, if we use the genes from the Maxtopian Grass! The only problem is that it may affect the health of those that eat the genetically modified wheat, but who cares?

[option]“Use the genes for food? HA!” loudly laughs General @@NAME@@ who, for some odd reason, has been by your side since the outbreak of Maxtopian Grass. “Who needs food when you have replaceable soldiers? Imagine those possibilities. Instead of having kids die during wars, we could deploy clones! If we use the genes from Maxtopian Grass we could develop trained soldiers that don't feel pain in two years. We could conquer the world!”
[effect]Human clones are used as soldiers, if they aren't hallucinating.
[stats]Weaponization increases greatly, military spending increases, civil rights decrease, authoritarianism increases
Last edited by DWAsnia on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:21 pm

I like the issue idea and the options, but I feel like some of the text is...not as smoothly written as it could be. My changes are in blue, my comments are in orange.

DWAsnia wrote:Title: Florists Blooming Mad

Description: Maxtopian Grass, an invasive plant with an extremely short gestation period, rapid growth, and hallucinogenic properties, has infested @@NAME@@'s hillsides. After smothering endangered wildflowers and crop-laden fields alike, an unlikely coalition of environmentalists and business owners have petitioned the government for action.(Previous sentence was too long)

Options

[option]“These damn weeds are out of control!” shouts basket-weaving magnate @@RANDOMNAME@@. “They've completely destroyed my bamboo crop and are overrunning everything else! The government needs to kill these noxious weeds quickly and heavily subsidize businesses like mine to repair the damages.” (Last two sentences were awkward)

[option]“For once I agree with my capitalist colleague in theory,” your Minister of Environment, @@RANDOMNAME@@, says, “but I disagree in methodology. Given vast research funding, we could develop a harmless chemical to eradicate Maxtopian Grass. If all goes well, we could use the same technology to eliminate all the major weeds in @@NAME@@. (A bunch of issues here. There is no way a competent Minister of Environment would advocate any solution that they knew was harmful to some animals as a side-effect. The 'Plus, if all goes well, ...' was redundant. Both of those statements mean the same thing.)
[effect]A colossal government-biochemical complex strictly controls and monitors the sale and use of pesticides, herbicides, and chemical compounds.
[stats]Environment increases greatly, Business Subsidization decreases greatly, government size increases greatly, taxes increases (the last option was already a "be careful for what you wish for option". This one should be more of a "Success is worse than failure", for variety's sake).

[option]“There's, like, no need to kill the grass, man,” says Kitty Rainbow Hyacinth, a greasy-haired nature-lover, as she nonchalantly lights a joint of Maxtopian Grass. “I mean, take a look at it. It's like totally good for other stuff, like chillaxing. Just back off -- man.(There is already an issue that involves legalizing drugs. Let's not make duplicates.)
[effect]Maxtopian Grass has disappeared as addicts comb @@NAME@@ for the hallucinogenic drugs.
[stats]Increases environment slightly, increases civil rights greatly, increases recreational drug use steeply, decreases health, Economy decreases. (This is the do-nothing option. Doing nothing shouldn't *raise* civil rights greatly. A slight increase I could believe. Also, doing nothing will hurt the economy.)

[option]“Use the genes for food? HA!” loudly laughs General @@NAME@@ who, for some odd reason, has been by your side since the outbreak of Maxtopian Grass. “Who needs food when you have replaceable soldiers? Imagine those possibilities. Instead of having kids die during wars, we could deploy clones! If we use the genes from Maxtopian Grass we could develop trained soldiers that don't feel pain in a few years. We could conquer the world!”
[effect]After initial government funding, the "Maxtopian Grass Supersoldier" project was abruptly cancelled after several unexplained explosions destroyed the research facilities.
[stats]Weaponization increases greatly, military spending increases, civil rights decrease, authoritarianism increases(Human cloning is destined to go wrong)
Last edited by Afforess on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Minister of the Interior, Capitalist Paradise

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Afforess wrote:I like the issue idea and the options, but I feel like some of the text is...not as smoothly written as it could be. My changes are in blue, my comments are in orange.

DWAsnia wrote:Title: Florists Blooming Mad

Description: Maxtopian Grass, an invasive plant with an extremely short gestation period, rapid growth, and hallucinogenic properties, has infested @@NAME@@'s hillsides. After smothering endangered wildflowers and crop-laden fields alike, an unlikely coalition of environmentalists and business owners have petitioned the government for action.(Previous sentence was too long)

Options

[option]“These damn weeds are out of control!” shouts basket-weaving magnate @@RANDOMNAME@@. “They've completely destroyed my bamboo crop and are overrunning everything else! The government needs to kill these noxious weeds quickly and heavily subsidize businesses like mine to repair the damages.” (Last two sentences were awkward)

[option]“For once I agree with my capitalist colleague in theory,” your Minister of Environment, @@RANDOMNAME@@, says, “but I disagree in methodology. Given vast research funding, we could develop a harmless chemical to eradicate Maxtopian Grass. If all goes well, we could use the same technology to eliminate all the major weeds in @@NAME@@. (A bunch of issues here. There is no way a competent Minister of Environment would advocate any solution that they knew was harmful to some animals as a side-effect. The 'Plus, if all goes well, ...' was redundant. Both of those statements mean the same thing.)
[effect]A colossal government-biochemical complex strictly controls and monitors the sale and use of pesticides, herbicides, and chemical compounds.
[stats]Environment increases greatly, Business Subsidization decreases greatly, government size increases greatly, taxes increases (the last option was already a "be careful for what you wish for option". This one should be more of a "Success is worse than failure", for variety's sake).

[option]“There's, like, no need to kill the grass, man,” says Kitty Rainbow Hyacinth, a greasy-haired nature-lover, as she nonchalantly lights a joint of Maxtopian Grass. “I mean, take a look at it. It's like totally good for other stuff, like chillaxing. Just back off -- man.(There is already an issue that involves legalizing drugs. Let's not make duplicates.)
[stats]Increases environment slightly, increases civil rights greatly, increases recreational drug use steeply, decreases health, Economy decreases. (This is the do-nothing option. Doing nothing shouldn't *raise* civil rights greatly. A slight increase I could believe. Also, doing nothing will hurt the economy.)

[stats]Weaponization increases greatly, military spending increases, civil rights decrease, authoritarianism increases(Human cloning is destined to go wrong)

Thanks Affy. I like just about all you corrected and what you said about option 3 makes a great deal of sense.
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Ieperithem
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ieperithem » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Personally, I don't see how the grass could feasibly be used to design human soldiers. I know this is far from 'hard' sci - fi, but there doesn't appear to be any reason that that would actually be viable. There isn't anything in a fast growing, hallucinogenic plant that would be of any use in creating super soldiers. Furthermore, 'super soldiers' have already been created in multiple other issues, so originality might be a problem. A more comprehensible military option, in my opinion, would be to 'accidentally' spread it into the agricultural centers of more technologically advanced nations, forcing them to work towards developing a chemical that could subsequently be stolen and used.
Last edited by Ieperithem on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Spectrum Test
Economic Right: 69.8%
Social Libertarian: 29.3%
Foreign Policy Neoconservative: 36.0%
Cultural conservative: 22.6%
"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all."
-Theodore Roosevelt

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Ieperithem wrote:Personally, I don't see how the grass could feasibly be used to design human soldiers. I know this is far from 'hard' sci - fi, but there doesn't appear to be any reason that that would actually be viable. There isn't anything in a fast growing, hallucinogenic plant that would be of any use in creating super soldiers. Furthermore, 'super soldiers' have already been created in multiple other issues, so originality might be a problem. A more comprehensible military option, in my opinion, would be to 'accidentally' spread it into the agricultural centers of more technologically advanced nations, forcing them to work towards developing a chemical that could subsequently be stolen and used.

That's an interesting idea. Maybe have the general say something like: "Use it to grow food! Ha, why do that when we can kill food! We could transplant the Maxtopian Grass to our enemies' countries and it'll kill all their food. No need to fight when our enemies are starving."

Of course that's really rough and I'll have to expand on it but you get the idea.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:10 pm

Ieperithem wrote:Personally, I don't see how the grass could feasibly be used to design human soldiers. I know this is far from 'hard' sci - fi, but there doesn't appear to be any reason that that would actually be viable. There isn't anything in a fast growing, hallucinogenic plant that would be of any use in creating super soldiers. Furthermore, 'super soldiers' have already been created in multiple other issues, so originality might be a problem. A more comprehensible military option, in my opinion, would be to 'accidentally' spread it into the agricultural centers of more technologically advanced nations, forcing them to work towards developing a chemical that could subsequently be stolen and used.

This is a good idea. I know the US Government researched doing this to Cuba in the 60's - spreading some kind of plant/animal pest to destroy their agricultural economy. It's happened accidentally to other countries, like Australia, where the introduction of rabbits has been extremely harmful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:01 am

Updated. Check first post.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 am

Last option is still kinda weird. Here is my revised suggestion:

[option]“Use the genes for food? HA!” loudly laughs General @@NAME@@ who, for some odd reason, has been by your side since the outbreak of Maxtopian Grass. “Maxtopian Grass is a perfect bio-weapon that can wipe out our enemies agriculture! Our scientists research into creating Maxtopian Grass has proven successful and the subsequent accidental contamination of a few localized sites prove its effectiveness. We need more funding to begin immediate construction of a payload delivery system! ”
[effect]After initial government funding, the "Digitaria Efficacy and Delivery" project was abruptly cancelled after an unexplained quarantine breach wiped out the research faculty.

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Edited again. I practically Ctrl+V'ed your revision. :p

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm pretty proud of the 'Digitaria Efficacy and Delivery' project. Digitaria is latin for grass, and the acronym would be (drumroll please)... DEAD Project.

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:29 pm

I like the DEAD project too, Afforess.

Is this ready for submission in your opinion? Because I think so. I'll leave it up for a few days in case anybody else wants to comment.

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Submitted.

Silmad
Civilian

Founded: Apr 02, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Silmad » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:03 am

I have an attractive option (which is used in the real world and not in the sci-fi stories)
Would be the biological pest control, there are currently countless extremely effective methods. The biological control is an agro-technology that uses insects, mites, viruses and bacteria as agents for combating pests of various crops.
The great thing is, it replaces the pesticides and is much less harmful to the plant. Where I live  actually is activity in expansion and the best part is that you eliminate the pest before it reaches the level of economic damage it, perpetuating the field differently agrochemical agents that are punctual (You use it controls at that moment and then to maintain control, use again.) without cause poisoning in the people and not leaving residues, does not cause any kind of resistance in pest and it ends up not having resurgence of pests or secondary pests (which could leave the issue if you choose this one option, appearing only once.)
The only disadvantages are much more cultural, you do not have to pick up the product, put in a tank and spray, the farmer has a tradition of wanting to see the plague drop dead then this would also be one of the "disadvantages" that as said in fact it is more a cultural issue than a disadvantage specifically without polluting the environment no soil pollution and impacts on other animals such as fish and etc.
I'm so sorry for my horrible English, I'll leave some materials if they want to know more about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_pest_control
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 9986901447
https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/biol ... ontrol.htm

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?