NATION

PASSWORD

Issues Contest!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Parthenon
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Issues Contest!

Postby Parthenon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Have it in gold and the contest may be rather mouthwatering for the contenders - plus it fits the general design theme too:

Compare mine with the WA's equivalent:

Image Image

I really hate to be a douchebag but that typewriter is a direct rip of my handpixeled one with some nonsense anti-aliasing applied...
Since this is a contest and I gave you no permission to use my work in such a fashion I am going to have to use this post as a formal notification of cease and desist...

Dear Charlotte Ryberg:

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my copyrighted work entitled IssueEditorBadge.png (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. I have reserved all rights in the Work, first published on ‎Friday, ‎June ‎12, ‎2009, ‏‎3:26:26 AM EST, and have registered copyright therein. Your work entitled proto.gif is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis.

As you neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for proto.gif nor to make or distribute copies, including electronic copies, of same, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2) therein.

I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies, including electronic copies, of same, that you deliver to me, if applicable, all unused, undistributed copies of same, or destroy such copies immediately and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 12:00:00 AM EST, indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall take further action against you.

Very truly yours,
Parthenon
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Note to self : Don't take anything from the Parthenon or the UN - unless its chocolate or welfare money. :p
Last edited by Unibot on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:37 pm

I always share my chocolate :)

Some additional colors as requested. Can modify the typewriter color as well to better suit the NS theme or color scheme if desired as well. If you would like to see any other colors let me know.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Hmm. If several particpants use the same tools (Photoshop or whatever), and they happen to use the same effects, what is the possibility of independently "re-inventing the wheel"? To call "copyright infringement!", doesn't it require that the accuser _prove_ that the defendant had deliberately and with forethought used the design in question? Noting similarities alone may not suffice as "proof".

In regards to infringement cases: Question on "Cash Cab" -- "What barbecue sauce company successfully defended itself in an infringement lawsuit simply by attaching an exclamation mark to the end of the one-word product name?" Answer: "Yahoo!"
Last edited by Marcuslandia on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, your life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Holy crap! I now fear Parthenon more than the United Nations. :rofl: Oh well, at least his cease and desist letter didn't have any typos.
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Here's another one. :D

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:51 pm

Unibot wrote:Image

Jejeje....
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Unibot wrote:Image

That's entertaining!

Is there a detrimental effect on the page refresh/reload/processing speed because the image is animated?

"Choose wisely."

Super-Chechnya
Secretary

Founded: Mar 26, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Super-Chechnya » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:04 am

Could the artists realise that if their submission is chosen, they consent to the use of their badge design publicly by NationStates and that means they agree to release ownership rights to NationStates.

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocco » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:51 am

Yes, that's right. If the person whose badge is chosen doesn't agree to releasing all rights to the image to Max Barry then I'll have to pick someone else.

For the record though, I rather liked Charlotte Ryberg's gold version.
Last edited by Sirocco on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:15 am

Thanks, Sirocco: Max is more than welcome to use my designs if he wishes.

This version has a simplified typewriter icon:
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midlauthia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Midlauthia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 am

Parthenon wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Have it in gold and the contest may be rather mouthwatering for the contenders - plus it fits the general design theme too:

Compare mine with the WA's equivalent:

Image Image

I really hate to be a douchebag but that typewriter is a direct rip of my handpixeled one with some nonsense anti-aliasing applied...
Since this is a contest and I gave you no permission to use my work in such a fashion I am going to have to use this post as a formal notification of cease and desist...

Dear Charlotte Ryberg:

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my copyrighted work entitled IssueEditorBadge.png (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. I have reserved all rights in the Work, first published on ‎Friday, ‎June ‎12, ‎2009, ‏‎3:26:26 AM EST, and have registered copyright therein. Your work entitled proto.gif is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis.

As you neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for proto.gif nor to make or distribute copies, including electronic copies, of same, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2) therein.

I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies, including electronic copies, of same, that you deliver to me, if applicable, all unused, undistributed copies of same, or destroy such copies immediately and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 12:00:00 AM EST, indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall take further action against you.

Very truly yours,
Parthenon

Internet is srs bsns

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:05 am

Sirocco wrote:Yes, that's right. If the person whose badge is chosen doesn't agree to releasing all rights to the image to Max Barry then I'll have to pick someone else.

For the record though, I rather liked Charlotte Ryberg's gold version.

:rofl: :rofl:

Actually, I do too.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Otaku Stratus
Spokesperson

New York Times Democracy

Postby Otaku Stratus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Roffle, somehow I thought you were going to ask for volunteers to help edit the issue submissions. I can totally do that.. I edit things.. with ease..
but not so much of a creative writer.

DragonKhorse
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 17, 2008
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby DragonKhorse » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:58 am

Ooh. Sounds interesting. Hope I can think of a good issue soon...

Hessinator
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hessinator » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:43 am

Sirocco,

I sent in an issue a few months ago, at this point I can't even remember when! but I do remember messaging you about it asking if it had been edited and you had said that there was such a backup from even last summer that you hadnt gotten to it yet... the issue was about a revolution in whichever nation, and several choices, one was to make the country into a dictatorship, etc. Not sure if you remember it, but it's the only one I, Hessinator, have made, so that would be a way to find it. ANYWAY... I too was wondering if you found that one... if I could use that as a submission?

:)
"You stay classy Nationstates"

--Hessinator

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocco » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:45 am

Sure, if it's not actually in the game then I don't see any reason why submitted issues can't be entered.

Vondoria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Vondoria » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:50 am

I like this one the best:
Issue Editor

Only one i could come up with, or even make. :rofl:
DEFCON level-
1 2 3 4 5
Diplomacy
Open/Selective/No

War Status
Peace/Minor Skirmishes/Supporting Allies/War

Vondorian Wars
Auctland Conflict- Stalemate

Member of AMTF (Allied Military and Trade Force)

Hessinator
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hessinator » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:56 am

Sirocco wrote:Sure, if it's not actually in the game then I don't see any reason why submitted issues can't be entered.

Awesome, so if you can find it, that'd be awesome, because frankly, I don't remember the exact language I used, and since I've already made it, I'd groan at having to make it again :lol:

Thanks a bunch!

--Hessinator

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocco » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:59 am

I'm afraid it'll be a long time before I get to even see your issue. I'm still working on issues submitted between May and September 2008. But hey, you've got until the 8th of August to write up something new and interesting. Keep in mind that it's the quality of writing I'm most interested in when reviewing these submissions.

Hessinator
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hessinator » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:03 am

Yeah I feel like mine was somewhere in late 2008, so you'll probably see it soon... because I'm leaving for Israel (YAY!!!) on June 30th... and won't be back until the 10th of August, and will not have computer access, if you do come accross my issue soon, would you please send me a MESSAGE about it? If not, I'll try and come up with a new issue before I leave, as I'm SURE I can't have a day or two extension. ;)

P.S. what does the whole "Political Columnist", "Secretary", etc. mean underneath the Nation Title to the left of the post?

I'm new to the forums, although I've had my nation for a long time now... I've just never been interested in this aspect... until now... so yeah, what does that mean? Is it just a made up title in accordance with how many posts you make?

--Hessinator

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 am

Hessinator wrote:P.S. what does the whole "Political Columnist", "Secretary", etc. mean underneath the Nation Title to the left of the post?

I'm pretty certain it's a label to describe how many forum posts you've made. Like when your nation moves to a region, your Influence there is "Minnow". The longer you stay, the more Influence builds, the more "powerful" your label becomes. Same kind of thing here. The more posts you make the more "literate" your label becomes.

"Choose wisely."

Hessinator
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hessinator » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:51 am

hmm, makes sense to me, thank you!

--Hessinator

Vom53
Political Columnist

Founded: May 05, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vom53 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:32 pm

Excellent! I love this idea.

Hessinator
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hessinator » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:43 am

would you mind providing some criteria for the issues?
i know about the guidelines, i'm talking more along the lines of what exactly youre looking for in winners i guess

--Hessinator

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?