NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFTv2]Fishmongers for Life?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DRAFTv2]Fishmongers for Life?

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 am

CURRENT DRAFT (Draft 2)
NAME: Fishmongers for Life?

DESCRIPTION: The Fishmongers for Life Foundation, a group supporting sustainable fishing practices, has stormed a small government building complete with harpoons and water cannons, demanding that @@NAME@@ immediately pass laws to control overfishing in its sovereign waters.

VALIDITY: Valid for nations where @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ is trout farming, OR environment budget is extremely low.

[option]@@RANDOMNAME@@, Operator and Voice of the Fishmongers for Life Foundation manages to break into your office, wearing nothing but a seaweed loincloth and an eyepatch. He stands to speak, with an affected upper-class accent. "Good sir, the exotic sealife of this nation need protecting! Industrial-scale fishing is seriously depleting our native stocks of exotic fish, both captured as a by-product of edible fish and for the table themselves. I propose we set aside some marine assets to protect these fish, and to ensure that recreational fishermen will forever have a safe place to go and fishmonger with their family."
[effect]National Sealife Sanctuaries are being introduced to protect exotic fish from commercial enterprise.
[stats]Trout farming industry decreases, economic strength decreases, civil rights increases, Commerce and Industry decreases, Law and Order increases, Environment Increases, economic freedoms decrease

[option]Well-known celebrity @@RANDOMNAME@@, from @@NAME@@'s well-known reality TV show Top Reel, appears from the corner, seeming to have instantly materialized in a shady business suit. You have no idea how long he sat there, and do not get to ask him before he produces a business card - "The Fishmongers Conglomerate". "The oceans are free game. Our coast shares the same ocean as the rest of the world - and the same fish. How can @@NAME@@ compete with the rest of the international fishing industry if we are not prepared to take advantage of what we can steal - er, obtain fairly and unbiasedly?"
[effect]A conglomerate of major fishing corporations effectively owns the nation's territorial waters and its sealife.
[stats]Economic strength increases, trout farming industry increases significantly, environment decreases dramatically, economic freedoms increase dramatically

[option]A government official of little importance pipes up once your two visitors stop shouting him down. "You know, my aunt owns a small cheese import/export business in North @@NAME@@. He reckons that there's a fish substitute in some of the waste products of one of her less popular cheeses. If you wouldn't mind, she's not doing so well..could you help her a little? It would be a way to save the fishes, you know. Milk is renewable, or so my aunt says - just take all the fishermen and give them a bucket."
[effect]Waste from the cheese industry is being rabidly promoted by the government as an ingredient for fish substitute.
[stats]Trout farming industry decreases significantly, commerce and industry increases significantly, cheese exports increase significantly, civil rights drop significantly, economic freedom increases slightly.

First Draft

Key concerns:

As raised by Panageadom:

Second option may need to be shortened (clauses have been shortened as of Draft 2 but some may need to be cut, leaving the others to be fluffed up slightly again)
Second option ending seems 'tacked on'
First option needs a 'voice' - rectified but a little bit oddball, thoughts?
Possibly a forth option to 'privatize the seas' - or else as a replacement to option 3 which is a little odd, or option 2 which is mostly a moderated 'privatize the seas' issue
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Panageadom
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Panageadom » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:

DESCRIPTION: The Fishmongers for Life Foundation, a group supporting sustainable fishing practices, has stormed a small government building complete with harpoons and water cannons, demanding that @@NAME@@ immediately pass laws to control overfishing in its sovereign waters.

VALIDITY: Valid for nations where @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ is trout farming, OR environment budget is extremely low. Wouldn't worry too much about the validity. Entirely unofficially (I have no official knowledge of any of this, but this is my own supposition), I suspect you're right that not many nations have trout farming as a national industry, which indeed is part of the broader problem with the diversification of industrial issues, but the statistics do exist and it should be possible for someone higher up to make a decision based on them. In addition, the environment idea covers another swathe of nations, like mine.

Throughout, you may wish to add "economic freedoms" stats as separate to economic strength ones. And, alackaday, if only there was time-dependence in NS for this, because presumably overfishing gives you a short boost and kills you off in the long run.

[option]@@RANDOMNAME@@, Operator and Voice of the Fishmongers for Life Foundation manages to break into your office, wearing nothing but a seaweed loincloth and an eyepatch. "If @@NAME@@ keeps going like it is, we small-time fishmongers will be at the beck and call of international fish smugglers! How are we going to turn a profit if the big corporations are taking all our fish? There needs to be strict regulations to stop overfishing, like quotas, size restrictions, and protected areas for recreational fishing only! Fair fishing for all, before all of @@REGION@@ has nothing left!" OK, I like this as a starter, but I think there are two big areas for improvement, and a small one. First, I don't really get a mechanism for why overfishing means big corporations can get all the fish before little fishers. Second, there isn't really a voice for the character (they don't speak with a personality): given you gave them an eyepatch, a simple option would be to have them talk like a pirate? Maybe not a great one...Last, maybe include the biodiversity argument?
[effect]A National Sealife Sanctuary has been introduced as one part of a campaign against overfishing, where fish swim free from the dangers of commercial hooks and sinkers. Too long, not enough "punch". Also, effects can't have commas (i.e. more than one clause)
[stats]Trout farming industry decreases, economic strength decreases, civil rights increases, Commerce and Industry decreases, Law and Order increases, Environment Increases

[option]Well-known celebrity @@RANDOMNAME@@, from @@NAME@@'s well-known reality TV show Top Reel, appears from the corner, seeming to have instantly materialized in a textbook example of a shady business suit. You have no idea how long he sat there, and do not get a chance to ask him before he produces a business card - "Fishmongers Conglomerate". He puts a few hundred dollars on your desk before launching into a tirade. I love every sentence of this, it's just 8 clauses are too much. "The oceans are free game. Our coast shares the same ocean as the rest of the world - and the same fish. How can @@NAME@@ compete with the rest of the international fishing industry if we are not prepared to take advantage of what we can steal - er, obtain fairly and unbiasedly?" Ending feels a bit tacked-on.
[effect]A conglomerate of major fishing corporations effectively owns the nation's territorial waters and its sealife.
[stats]Economic strength increases, trout farming industry increases significantly, environment decreases dramatically

[option]A government official of little importance pipes up once your two visitors stop shouting him down. "You know, my aunt owns a small cheese import/export business in North @@NAME@@. He reckons that there's a fish substitute in some of the waste products of one of her less popular cheeses. If you wouldn't mind, she's not doing so well..could you help her a little? It would be a way to save the fishes, you know. Milk is renewable, or so my aunt says - just take all the fishermen and give them a bucket." Wee bitty confused by this one. I mean, it all makes sense, it's just rather oddball.
[effect]Trout farming industry decreases significantly, commerce and industry increases significantly, cheese exports increase significantly, civil rights drop significantly
[stats]A little known brand of cheese has been rabidly promoted by the government, with the companies producing it having vast capacities of their waste being purchased by government-affiliated companies to turn into fish substitute.
Ditto from (1)

If it were me writing this issue, I'd also have a "privatise the sea" option (ala privatising the Commons in the C18th), because I think that's cool.

Key concerns:

Validity - not sure how many nations actually have trout farming as their major industry or whether there are currently enough issues to change that.

Last option I think needs an effect that shows increased government involvement in creating monopolies - is that just commerce and industry spending?
Author of Issues:
#273: Is our children learning?
#310: Too Little Talk?
#315: Creative Flowers Withering Under Legislation
#324 "Tourism Tanking" Tells Tabloids
#334: Blot Out Bauhaus
#340: Defending Patent Pending
#365: A Busload of Worry

None at present

If I offer criticism on your proposed issue, I will often write in red: don't think I'm being aggressive, it's just a convention I use!
If I ask a question on a proposed issue thread, then it's because I feel it's one you need to ask of your issue: I'm being Socratic and/or lazy.

Supreme Court Chief Justice for Capitalist Paradise

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:37 am

Danke Panageadom.

It's late here, so I'll leave it for a little and see if anyone else makes some suggestions before I edit in a second draft.

As per privatizing the sea, that's somewhat what I meant by the second option, although I didn't really write it towards that sort of extreme. I feel like a new privatization option would overlap with that one, so maybe just edit privatization of the sea to use that second option's fluff?

I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote the third option. I don't really remember what my reasoning was for the idea behind that...it was intended to be oddball, but in hindsight maybe not quite that oddball. I like the idea of making overfishing a non-issue by just substituting something else for fishing, but maybe not a literal cheese-into-fish substitute.

Will add in separate economic freedom stats. Probably going to be +a little, - a little, - a lot respectively as it stands, assuming the third option sticks, but I'll probably edit all three of them before I add in economic freedom.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:54 pm

I normally don't comment in this forum, but I must admit that I absolutely love this issue.
Last edited by Milograd on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tecknoko
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tecknoko » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 am

On the last option, effects and stats are swapped.
Last edited by Tecknoko on Fri Mar 05, 1972 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Dh'arconian Kaiserreich of Tecknoko
Mindhar on The Lord of the Rings

Sailsia
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sailsia » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 am

Pretty awesome idea. I'd love to see it in my issues box.
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:17 am

I hope that you'll continue to pursue this.
Last edited by Milograd on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:28 am

Just giving a heads-up that in the event this is pursued to the end, and accepted, it's unlikely we'd include such an obvious in-joke as "Fishmongers For Life".
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:47 am

Addressed Technoko's concern, and some of Panageadom's concerns. See OP for updated draft.

VALIDITY: Valid for nations where @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ is trout farming, OR environment budget is extremely low.

[option]@@RANDOMNAME@@, Operator and Voice of the Fishmongers for Life Foundation manages to break into your office, wearing nothing but a seaweed loincloth and an eyepatch. "If @@NAME@@ keeps going like it is, we small-time fishmongers will be at the beck and call of international fish smugglers! How are we going to turn a profit if the big corporations are taking all our fish? There needs to be strict regulations to stop overfishing, like quotas, size restrictions, and protected areas for recreational fishing only! Fair fishing for all, before all of @@REGION@@ has nothing left!"
[effect]A National Sealife Sanctuary has been introduced as one part of a campaign against overfishing, where fish swim free from the dangers of commercial hooks and sinkers.
[stats]Trout farming industry decreases, economic strength decreases, civil rights increases, Commerce and Industry decreases, Law and Order increases, Environment Increases

[option]Well-known celebrity @@RANDOMNAME@@, from @@NAME@@'s well-known reality TV show Top Reel, appears from the corner, seeming to have instantly materialized in a textbook example of a shady business suit. You have no idea how long he sat there, and do not get a chance to ask him before he produces a business card - "Fishmongers Conglomerate". He puts a few hundred dollars on your desk before launching into a tirade. "The oceans are free game. Our coast shares the same ocean as the rest of the world - and the same fish. How can @@NAME@@ compete with the rest of the international fishing industry if we are not prepared to take advantage of what we can steal - er, obtain fairly and unbiasedly?"
[stats]Economic strength increases, trout farming industry increases significantly, environment decreases dramatically

[option]A government official of little importance pipes up once your two visitors stop shouting him down. "You know, my aunt owns a small cheese import/export business in North @@NAME@@. He reckons that there's a fish substitute in some of the waste products of one of her less popular cheeses. If you wouldn't mind, she's not doing so well..could you help her a little? It would be a way to save the fishes, you know. Milk is renewable, or so my aunt says - just take all the fishermen and give them a bucket."
[effect]Trout farming industry decreases significantly, commerce and industry increases significantly, cheese exports increase significantly, civil rights drop significantly
[stats]A little known brand of cheese has been rabidly promoted by the government, with the companies producing it having vast capacities of their waste being purchased by government-affiliated companies to turn into fish substitute.

Changes include sweeping change to first option (giving the character a voice), first option stats have been shortened, trimming to second option, third option's stats and effects have been corrected (swapped), third option's (correct) stats have been shortened, economic freedom effects added to all options.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Freemopia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Freemopia » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:59 am

These parts are confusing; consider re-wording it to make it more understandable:
“Both captured as a by-product of edible fish and for the table themselves.”
A government official of little importance pipes up once your two visitors stop shouting him down.

If you wouldn't mind, she's not doing so well..could you help her a little?
Is she sick, or poor? Or both? A bit confusing.

[effect]Trout farming industry decreases significantly, commerce and industry increases significantly, cheese exports increase significantly, civil rights drop significantly, economic freedom increases slightly
[stats]Waste from the cheese industry is being rabidly promoted by the government as an ingredient for fish substitute.

Switch these 2, what you called effect is actually stats, what you called stats is actually effect.

They don’t need to be shortened.

Parts of it did make me laugh that’s good. Try to make it really funny. The confusing parts wrecked the laugh, I got to be able to understand it.

The last option should add it that they can use the cheese/milk by-product to make fake vegetarian fish that taste like fish (I’ve actually had both vegan and vegetarian fake fish, it tastes like fish). I actually don’t know if they use milk/cheese by-product to make fake fish, you should check that to see if they do or not.

Issues with lots of options are always my preference.

Add these options:

Vegan fish…extreme vegan animal rights -Ban killing animals for body parts. Use government $ to nationally promote vegan meat with TV advertisements and government funded samples delivered to all residents.

Have the government rent the national seas to the highest bidder, like how some governments rent out land. ___ (currency) per square foot of water. While were at it, lets rent out air too. ___ (currency) per square foot of air. It’s only fair to pay your fair share. (a rich tax collector).

Extreme environmentalist- ban ships from using the national waters. Only let people fish by swimming and catching fish with their bare hands or using small non-electric boats and fishing poles or small nets.
Last edited by Freemopia on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern Merconitonitopia
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Merconitonitopia » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:17 pm

This is clearly the greatest issue ever created.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?