NATION

PASSWORD

Factual error in issue

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Almajoya
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Factual error in issue

Postby Almajoya » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:12 pm

So, I know the issues aren't supposed to be exact, and oftentimes they're parodies or exaggerations of RL, but I found this one a little silly.

The high-profile case of Damon 'The Butcher of Almajoya City' White, a serial murderer and rapist, has been the subject of outrage and derision by Almajoya's news providers. In exchange for a guilty verdict, no trial by jury, and testimony in another trial, White pled guilty to third-degree manslaughter, reducing his sentence to a paltry three months' imprisonment. The justness of plea bargaining is now being called into question.

Manslaughter in any degree is a felony. All felonies require at least a year (and a day, I think) in prison. Even plea-bargaining can't change this. The guy might get out on good behavior after ten, eleven months, but three months is just laughable.

Just a thought.

Edit: The name of the issue is "Plea Bargaining: Tipping the Scales of Justice?"
Last edited by Almajoya on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:28 pm

In the US, yeah, but who knows how it is in the issue writer's country?
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Lizapotamia
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lizapotamia » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:47 pm

New Ziedrich wrote:In the US, yeah, but who knows how it is in the issue writer's country?

And more importantly, who knows how it is in your fictional country?

Return to Got Issues?