NATION

PASSWORD

Horrible Description

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Barsundi
Civilian

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Horrible Description

Postby Barsundi » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:20 pm

I am extremely disgusted at the description of my nation! I increased some spending in my military, I made a compromise between the industrialists and the environmentalists, I allowed doctors to reward people for organic donations (which can come with problems, but is generally fine), I made suicide illegal, I let show directors decide what their show contains, I prohibited children from gambling, I put crime deterrents into effect, and I prohibited the "buying" of governmental seats. My description now says that military spending recently hit a new high, the mining industry is making inroads into environmentally sensitive areas, college students make ends meet by selling their kidneys, euthanasia is illegal, the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit, gambling is outlawed, thieves are flogged in public for their crimes, and that political parties are banned from advertising and receiving private donations! Along the way it has changed me from inoffensive centralist democracy, to moralistic democracy, to Iron Fist consumerists, to finally PSYCHOTIC DICTATORSHIP! My description says I am deforesting and that my population believes that most things should be outlawed, that freedoms and rights are rare, my population fears me, and that I refer to my polpulace as "my little playthings"! This is DISGUSTING! They are either only telling one side of an issue, or twisting my result completely (sometimes even changing it altogether)! Who comes up with these descriptions; because whoever or whatever it is, said person of thing is doing a crap job!

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Apparently, you didn't read the FAQ

My decision had unintended consequences!

Yep, that'll happen. For one thing, see "Why is my nation so weird?" above. For another, pretty much every decision you make will involve a trade-off of some kind. It's kind of an exercise in choosing the best of a bunch of bad options. You might find this frustrating, especially if you're the kind of person who thinks the solutions to all the world's problems are obvious.

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:58 pm

You're a Psychotic Dictatorship because you chose the totalitarian option on certain issues.

Actually, if you ban gambling it bans it for everyone not just children. Banning suicide would hurt your civil rights especially if you chose the extreme option recommended by the priest. Compromising with the industrialist hurts your environment and the tourism industry. People giving away their organs to doctors hurts their healthcare. Putting crime deterrents into effect might have also hurt your civil rights depending on what the deterrent was. Banning political parties from advertising would weaken your political freedoms by 2 levels. The only thing you would have benefitted from is letting show directors decide what their show contains as that improves economic strength and maybe civil rights too.

Euthanasia is illegal, gambling is outlawed, thieves flogged in public for their crimes, and political parties being banned from advertising and private donations are the things that did the most damage to your country.

It doesn't take long to turn your country into a dictatorship especially when your country is no better than an inoffensive centrist democracy to begin with.

Niicha
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Niicha » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Barsundi wrote:...I put crime deterrents into effect...thieves are flogged in public for their crimes

Ahem, the good ole' euphemism to make your choice seem less extreme. If I remember correctly, the option where thieves are flogged, the person specifically mentions flogging. So either you are greatly downplaying the decisions you made to make it look like the game's fault or you are not reading carefully enough.

In fact, all your choices eluded to your results. Your military spending is obvious, the solution obviously called for it. Why do you have an issue with this?
The environmental compromise did exactly what you should expect. The mining company wanted to bulldoze a rainforest to get at the uranium. The environmentalist wanted no mining whatsoever. So what's left but to bulldoze part of the rainforest to mine a part of the deposit.
The organ donation issue, as I look at it, is a bit of comic relief. It's a bit of a hyperbole to claim that all college students sell their kidneys to make ends meet. It points out that the most desperate, cash strapped people are going to sell organs.
You didn't make suicide illegal, you made euthanasia illegal. That is different from suicide and your conclusion shows it.
If you allow censorship free television, you have to take the good with the bad. Their are indeed going to be niche shows that cater to the racists in your nation. Remember, anything is allowed on television.
I remember that issue, the two choices were to outlaw gambling or allow children to gamble. You're choosing from two extremes. If you didn't like either choice, you can dismiss it.
When you prohibited politicians from buying seats, you prohibited any campaign donations. It specifically said so in the solution.

Remember you can always dismiss.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:57 am

Cynthia McKinney wrote:The only thing you would have benefitted from is letting show directors decide what their show contains as that improves economic strength and maybe civil rights too.

From my own in-game experience, I'm fairly sure that this actually lowers civil rights... presumably because of it implying official tolerance for racism.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Civil Rights

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:04 am

I seriously doubt it lowers civil rights because thats the option I always choose and its never caused my civil rights to go down. The only effect its had is an increase in economic strength and a reduction of the tax rate. Allowing a producer to control the content of his own tv show is something that improves economic freedom and I think economic freedom is included in the civil rights category in this game. Civil rights in this game includes both personal freedoms and business freedoms. Promoting racism might increase corruption and crime but it has nothing to do with restricting freedom so there's no way it can hurt civil rights.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:30 am

Cynthia McKinney wrote:I seriously doubt it lowers civil rights because thats the option I always choose and its never caused my civil rights to go down.
Yours are so high, and your population's large enough, that a single choice probably wouldn't alter your (visible) category anyway.
Cynthia McKinney wrote:The only effect its had is an increase in economic strength and a reduction of the tax rate. Allowing a producer to control the content of his own tv show is something that improves economic freedom and I think economic freedom is included in the civil rights category in this game. Civil rights in this game includes both personal freedoms and business freedoms.

No, 'economic freedoms' is a separate stat.
Cynthia McKinney wrote:Promoting racism might increase corruption and crime but it has nothing to do with restricting freedom so there's no way it can hurt civil rights.

Tell that to the NAACP...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Tommaso Empire
Envoy

Founded: Aug 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tommaso Empire » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:37 am

If you ever get a issue about making something illegal don't do it! No matter how worse the Penalty of making it legal. Because as soon as you start legalizing more things, the more your people will like you
:)

The Northern Iceberg
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Northern Iceberg » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:43 am

... but you are still a dictatorship, and we all love it :3

Kim Jong Way Too Many :3

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

NAACP

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:52 am

The NAACP has become a pathetic joke that supports the war machine.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?