NATION

PASSWORD

How much Democracy is too much

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

How much Democracy is too much

Postby Barringtonia » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:26 pm

Not that I want to perfect the unperfectable but the 'How much Democracy is too much?' issue lacks a 4th option, something along the lines of...

"Of course this could all be solved by an overhaul of our government IT infrastructure, which is neanderthal to say the least. We're still using BarringSoft '95 software! An overhaul would include e-voting, which means our tired bureaucrats can focus on more constructive work than counting votes. We just need to divert some tax revenue to giving me a shiny new laptop the people direct representation."

...or something like that, given this is an online game as it is, I'm kind of shocked at the backward thinking that limits the existing options, with apologies to whoever submitted it,

For humour, some reference to Diebold and fixing the vote so you never lose another election... or something,

Apologies if this is not the place,

EDIT: Just in case you need this...

The Issue

Government bureaucrats have called for an end to the mandatory referenda of new laws, citing the difficulty of processing so many votes on a regular basis.

The Debate

"The madness has gone on for long enough," says Voting Registry Clerk Thomas Falopian, visibly suffering from sleep deprivation. "We've been working around the clock processing all these referendums! Every day we receive millions of votes for the most inconsequential of by-laws! They all have to be counted, recounted, checked for errors, and it's driving me up the wall! You need to leave the responsibility of voting to Parliament. After all, representing the people is what they get paid for."

"Don't stop the referendums! We need more democracy, not less!" cries Charles Falopian, a prominent voting rights advocate. "Giving the law back to the people was a good first step, but where’s the democracy in the courts? Court verdicts are still forced down the people's throats by mean, spiteful judges with no one to answer to! It's time to abolish the judicial system once and for all and give justice back to the people!"

"Excuse us, but aren't you missing the point?" asks the unidentified spokesman of some citizens gathered around your office door. "We, the people of Barringtonia, know what is in our best interests. We can make our OWN decisions. Why don’t you leave this matter to us? We'll hold a referendum to decide what needs to be done, should only be a week or two. We'll get back to you once we’re finished."
Last edited by Barringtonia on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

democracy

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:27 pm

There is no such thing as too much democracy as long as a jury isn't deciding a defendant's guilt or innocence by majority vote or a convicted criminal's punishment by majority vote. So keep democracy out of the courtroom but everywhere else you should have it.

Conservative Alliances
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:19 pm

I like that fourth option. More options are better, in my opinion.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

Return to Got Issues?