NATION

PASSWORD

Landfills filling up, economic freedoms dying

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kamoneschia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Landfills filling up, economic freedoms dying

Postby Kamoneschia » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 am

Landfills Filling Up

The Issue
After claims of two-headed violet turacos being seen near the numerous landfills of Kamoneschia, there have been calls for the government to act.

The Debate
"Look at that thing!" wails famous environmentalist Jennifer Rifkin, pointing at one of Kamoneschia's largest dumps. "It's an eyesore, a pollutant, and a damn disgrace! What we need to do is get everyone recycling their waste! What we have left we can shoot into space in specially-made space shuttles and we'll never have to think about it again! Sure it'll be expensive, but considering the benefits to the great outdoors, I think we should consider it."

"Ah, the expense!" moans Buffy Jefferson, government economist. "Do you have any idea what that would cost?! A much better way of dealing with this waste is to burn it and use the energy it produces to power Kamoneschia's big cities. There may be a few side-effects on the environment, but with all the cheap power coming in who would care?"

"Oh come now," says Chastity Broadside, a nearby suburbanite. "There's no need to bring all the pollution into the cities! These dumps can get a whole lot bigger you know. Just keep piling the rubbish on and we can use them as tourist attractions or something. People will flock to see how high they can climb our artificial mountains! If we run out of space, just knock down a few forests. No one will notice."

"You're all missing the real solution," argues Jean-Paul Broadside, president of the 'Kamoneschia First!' society. "Why should we bother building landfills at all? I'm sure that there are plenty of less-fortunate countries out there who would be more than happy to take our litter in return for some cash."

I normally wouldn't ask for help, but I am in dire need. I try to figure out the issues myself and *BOOM* my economic freedoms are gone. Can anyone tell me--do any of these issue answers increases economic freedoms?
Last edited by Kamoneschia on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free Commonalities
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Commonalities » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Solution

We will offer to empty some of your landfills through a combination of gasification, recycling, and plasma converters. We wish full access to the landfills and all proceeds from these industries. You will have to turn over the land to us for use until the process of cleanup is complete.

This is the first step after the landfills are emptied we will start a brownfields to biofuels program. This will consist of planting sunflowers, special grasses and seeds to grow plants. These plants will then be converted into biofuels and other products.

Let us run this process for fifteen years free of charge.

Regards,

Deek Ralk

Kamoneschia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamoneschia » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Option 3 has been selected, for personal sake, but the land will be turned over to you for cleansing and use and all proceeds are at your siposal.

Free Commonalities
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Commonalities » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:44 pm

From: Martha Cruonis, Minister of Trade, Free Commonalities

Thank you for kindly providing us with this material. A series of large solar powered airships are sent over to set up plasma converters. These are special machines that burn nearly as hot as the sun inside them. What comes out is biofuel and the kind of slag you might see in a nuclear strike. The effect is pyrolisis, with very little smoke. This is further cleaned by air scrubbers. The slag is separated into metals and a crumbly black substance.

Following the plasma converters, are a set of recycling machine for metal, glass, and plastic. First the larger easier pieces are sent to the recycling machines. Then the other material is fed into the plasma converter. Airships take away the resulting recyclables, glass slag, and metal slag for processing in the Free Commonalities.

This goes on for a full six months with factories being set up all over to take all the waste that would go into landfills. Eventually it gets to the point where no more material are being added to the landfills and they are emptying. The empty landfills are then planted with what looks like a kind of sunflower and a kind of grass which looks like switchgrass. The plants are pulled up several times and thrown away, then after a while, what looks like a biorefinery is set up to take in the plants and make them into different products which are shipped to the Free Commonalities. The landfills have turned into collection stations for refuse and fields for biorefineries.

There is a general requst to set up collection stations for refuse to be picked up directly at businesses and homes by The Undersea Salvage and Recycling Cooperative. Congratulations you have been successfully colonized by a foreign business enterprise.

Return to Got Issues?