NATION

PASSWORD

Issue Right Here

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Portword
Civilian

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Issue Right Here

Postby Portword » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:57 pm

The Issue
An elite group of highly-qualified, well-respected scientists, lawyers, and doctors are campaigning to outlaw the study of the Arts and Humanities in the Universities of Portword.

The Debate
"Why should Arts students get to lounge around reading books and watching daytime TV for hours on end, when some of our hard-working youngsters are dedicating themselves to the study of worthwhile and valuable subjects; studies which will benefit the nation as a whole?" asks Roxanne Silk, a student engineer. "We should be grooming our young people to help, not sponge off the system. The Arts should be considered a hobby, not a career."

"You can't mean that," gasps Prof. Catherine Gratwick, renowned worldwide for her paintings of trains. "Learning should be done out of love, not duty. The Study of the Arts has been a noble field for many centuries, and learning it is not as easy as you think. I'd rather die than live in a world where creativity is stifled. We should be encouraging young artists, writers, musicians - if only to strengthen Portword's cultural reputation."

"What's the point in allowing most young people to continue in further education anyway?" enquires Freddy Li, a factory manager. "Surely most students would be better employed in manual and factory work? You should handpick a select few to study medicine, the law, science, and business of course, and utilise the majority of youth to increase the country's productivity in industry. Academic freedom just gets in the way of a functioning society, I've always said."

Which one will improve my economy? I don't care about anything else.

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

To Paint Or Not to Paint

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:31 am

The last option would probably improve your economy. However the 2nd option is the morally correct option. The 1st and 3rd options are totalitarian and evil.

Return to Got Issues?