NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 22827
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:16 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:
Debussy wrote:How touchy is suicide and depression in issues that are suppose to carry some form of humor? I guess I'm asking how do I write about those topics, or are those types of issues acceptable?

The idea I had was that a popular sad song leads to a sharp increase in depression and suicides and the nation has to address what to do about it.


It is an "adult" topic generally, but we do have a number of issues that touch on the question of suicide and depression. Issue 62 is directly about government response to rising depression-related suicides, and issue 496 is actually about suicide in the music world, with accusations about certain songs being "pro-suicide." There are also issues addressing suicide as it pertains to a number of other influences or factors.

If handled tactfully and with care, both depression and suicide are topics that can be written about within the NS Issues world. Finding a new or unique angle from which to approach the topic will require some research, but certainly can be done.



Also 576, which is one of my favourites of all the issues I've edited.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9604
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:56 am

Should I be getting #591 on my vegetarian nation?

User avatar
Verdant Haven
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 892
Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:06 am

Trotterdam wrote:Should I be getting #591 on my vegetarian nation?


It's possible to have a fishing industry even if you don't eat fish yourself, but I can certainly see why that would be a bit weird. I'll bring it up backstage for discussion.
- Verdant Haven

User avatar
Terrabod
Envoy
 
Posts: 277
Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Terrabod » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:48 pm

Baloo Kingdom was at one point working on an issue about a sea monster sighting being used to boost tourism (à la the Loch Ness Monster). Does a similar issue exist already? At the time Baloo was told a similar draft was being edited, and I wanted to check this was the case (i.e. the draft was not ditched for no reason).

EDIT: Ok, so I found the issue in question (#1432) but while both introduce questionable cryptozoology the draft I mention differs in that the focus is on using the monster as a tool for boosting tourism to the area in question or even as a national mascot (again, like the Loch Ness Monster). #1432, on the other hand, deals with the issue of how Leader responds to cryptid sightings ("it's a hoax", "we should study it" etc).

So, what do we think? Is it maybe worth at least a redraft by Baloo to see if it goes anywhere?
Last edited by Terrabod on Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Issues
#1477
Cultural Organiser
of Forest
- P L E A S ES T A N DB Y -
---------------------

User avatar
Naya Insaafistan
Secretary
 
Posts: 38
Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Naya Insaafistan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:49 pm

Naya Insaafistan wrote:the issue text reads, "In a landmark decision, the Supreme Court of The @@TYPE@@ today ruled that an obscure clause of the Constitution invalidates a government bill reaffirming the ban on same-sex marriage. Two groups have gathered in @@CAPITAL@@, one to protest the decision, the other to applaud it."

so, i'd like to ask, reaffirming what ban? i'm pretty sure i didn't have the heterosexuality policy when i received the issue, and the fact that heterosexuality did not show up as a cancelled policy upon option 2 being selected and the marriage equality policy being instituted suggests that i'm right in thinking i didn't have the heterosexuality policy when i received the issue. so there was no ban on same-sex marriage to be reaffirmed. the issue should either be re-written or made available only to nations with the heterosexuality policy.

furthermore, i do not see why selecting option 2 should result in the marriage equality policy being instituted. correct me if my understanding is lacking but i understand "same-sex marriage is banned" to mean that same-sex couples can face jail-time or other punishments when the ban is enforced. if the ban is lifted, same-sex couples no longer have to fear these punishments, but that does not mean that same-sex marriage is legally recognised or that there are any laws referring to "individuals of the same-sex married to one another" or that laws referring to "married couples" are understood to refer not only to opposite-sex couples but to same-sex couples as well. instituting marriage equality should cancel heterosexuality, and instituting heterosexuality should cancel marriage equality, but cancelling heterosexuality should not institute marriage equality, and cancelling marriage equality should not institute heterosexuality.

in actuality, there are 4 possible situations:

    same-sex marriage is illegal/banned
    there are no specific laws regarding same-sex marriage
    there are different laws for same-sex and opposite-sex couples
    the exact same laws apply to same-sex and opposite-sex couples
the first of these should be covered by the heterosexuality policy, the fourth should be covered by the marriage equality policy, the third, although it in effect is just legal recognition of same-sex marriage, may also be covered by the marriage equality policy in-game as i'm pretty sure in-name-only marriage equality exists irl as well, and the second should mean neither policy is in effect.


any thoughhts? it's Issue #438, "Judicial Review on Trial".
Last edited by Naya Insaafistan on Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9604
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:49 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Should I be getting #591 on my vegetarian nation?
It's possible to have a fishing industry even if you don't eat fish yourself, but I can certainly see why that would be a bit weird. I'll bring it up backstage for discussion.
Speaking of which, just got #1179. Same thing.

User avatar
Nitaiyan
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 24
Founded: Mar 24, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Nitaiyan » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:22 am

Are there any issues addressing or impinging on the wearing of traditional clothing? I have an idea for an issue inspired by certain laws enacted by Reza Shah and Mustafa Kemal. Basically, the options would revolve around whether to prohibit the wearing of traditional clothing in public, fining violators, or whether to reject that course of action, instead encouraging the wearing of traditional clothing. A third option would instate full-scale sumptuary laws regulating dress on the basis of profession, social status, class, and possibly caste as well. Would this be a viable issue concept?

User avatar
Nova Catania
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 417
Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Nova Catania » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:25 am

Are there any issues about political satire/comedy being one-sided, or disrespectful?
Join the United Alliance of Nations here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=504167&p=38649897#p38649897

High Schooler from the southeastern US, he/him, hetero, not politically aligned. Well, that was easy

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20586
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:31 am

Nitaiyan wrote:Are there any issues addressing or impinging on the wearing of traditional clothing? I have an idea for an issue inspired by certain laws enacted by Reza Shah and Mustafa Kemal. Basically, the options would revolve around whether to prohibit the wearing of traditional clothing in public, fining violators, or whether to reject that course of action, instead encouraging the wearing of traditional clothing. A third option would instate full-scale sumptuary laws regulating dress on the basis of profession, social status, class, and possibly caste as well. Would this be a viable issue concept?

There's a 'Ban the Burqa?'.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
Wormfodder Delivery
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 477
Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Corporate Police State

Postby Wormfodder Delivery » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:17 am

Hmm... Is there an issue that is about suing your national religions god because of something not working correctly?
Like, applies in a cynical but very religious nation or so.

Another idea I have is "Democratic Election Systems" with first past the post single winner to direct democracy to demarchy, or is that one already taken?
NS Stats do not count, unless it is funny.
The Transcripts canonically do not exist and merely serve to make the garbled Wormsspeak readable.
Canon Policies.
Open to RP, send me Telegrams, Pretty much compatible with everything.
Powerlevel of 4,5 according to this classification
Industrial Age Schizotech and Proud
Zero tolerance for godmodders and no effortposters are nearing that too.
The Wormfodder Delivery Service, bringing Wormfodder to you, whereever you are.
I also am currently making a pocket guide on how to have a good time on F7.
Get the latest, hottest news at WDSNN, the best News source of the next dimension!
It is now safe to keep playing.

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13296
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm

Wormfodder Delivery wrote:Hmm... Is there an issue that is about suing your national religions god because of something not working correctly?
Like, applies in a cynical but very religious nation or so.

Another idea I have is "Democratic Election Systems" with first past the post single winner to direct democracy to demarchy, or is that one already taken?

How could one sue your religion's god? I'm not sure if the premise works, but I do like to see how you would incorporate that.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9604
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:15 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:How could one sue your religion's god?
More importantly, even if the judge finds God guilty, how would you enforce the sentence?

User avatar
Naya Insaafistan
Secretary
 
Posts: 38
Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Naya Insaafistan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 am

Receiving Issue #0 pretty soon after picking Option 2 on Issue #496 was pretty amusing...

Civil rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@ from Option 1 of Issue #0 seemed to not know what nation he/she was residing in...
Last edited by Naya Insaafistan on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20586
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:11 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:How could one sue your religion's god?
More importantly, even if the judge finds God guilty, how would you enforce the sentence?

Impose a fine to be paid by their church?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
Random Country 453632
Envoy
 
Posts: 204
Founded: Jun 09, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Random Country 453632 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:48 pm

Are there any issues about whether there should be a committee that helps you choose what to do with your nation, or you become some sort of dictator?
the mods srsly hate my signature

User avatar
Random Country 453632
Envoy
 
Posts: 204
Founded: Jun 09, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Random Country 453632 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Naya Insaafistan wrote:Receiving Issue #0 pretty soon after picking Option 2 on Issue #496 was pretty amusing...

Civil rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@ from Option 1 of Issue #0 seemed to not know what nation he/she was residing in...


Issue 0 is supposed to be the first issue given to a nation though...
the mods srsly hate my signature

User avatar
Naya Insaafistan
Secretary
 
Posts: 38
Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Naya Insaafistan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 am

Random Country 453632 wrote:
Naya Insaafistan wrote:Receiving Issue #0 pretty soon after picking Option 2 on Issue #496 was pretty amusing...

Civil rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@ from Option 1 of Issue #0 seemed to not know what nation he/she was residing in...


Issue 0 is supposed to be the first issue given to a nation though...


issue 0 was the 9th issue i addressed, and by "i" i mean Naya Paaglistan. so it definitely wasn't the first issue i was presented with. the first one was Harry Potter Censorship Row. as it turns out, according to the wiki "until 24 August 2017, every new nation would receive Issue #0 as one of their first four issues" but this is no longer the case.
Last edited by Naya Insaafistan on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20586
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:26 pm

Please, would a editor answer the question raised in discussion of my draft for an issue called The Birdman of Pelicanz about numbering @@RANDOMNAME@@ occurrences & their related [MACRO] pronouns? I want to have the speaker in option 3 agree with the speaker in option 1 and refer to them appropriately as either "he" or "she" depending on their forename...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
Umbratellus
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 154
Founded: Aug 22, 2021
Conservative Democracy

Postby Umbratellus » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:11 pm

So, question time. It's been a quite a few years since I earnestly last played NationStates, and in that time period well over 500 new issues have been added. Obviously I'm not quite familiar with all the new ones yet, but last night I was reflecting on the importance of rhetoric in ancient Greece and Rome, and it occurred to me that when I last played there weren't any issues that let you establish schools of rhetoric in your own nation.

I was thinking about attempting an issue draft where your leader has a teleprompter malfunction in the middle of a routine speech, with possible options being developing a high tech speech writing team that radios your leader his speeches, opening up schools of rhetoric across your nation, or just having your leader go low-tech and using little paper flash cards for their speeches.

I wanted to check before I actually commit to writing anything though, is this like any existing issues I haven't seen yet?

User avatar
Verdant Haven
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 892
Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 pm

Umbratellus wrote:So, question time. It's been a quite a few years since I earnestly last played NationStates, and in that time period well over 500 new issues have been added. Obviously I'm not quite familiar with all the new ones yet, but last night I was reflecting on the importance of rhetoric in ancient Greece and Rome, and it occurred to me that when I last played there weren't any issues that let you establish schools of rhetoric in your own nation.

I was thinking about attempting an issue draft where your leader has a teleprompter malfunction in the middle of a routine speech, with possible options being developing a high tech speech writing team that radios your leader his speeches, opening up schools of rhetoric across your nation, or just having your leader go low-tech and using little paper flash cards for their speeches.

I wanted to check before I actually commit to writing anything though, is this like any existing issues I haven't seen yet?


Issue #852 "Brown Breeches Thanks to Speeches" isn't exactly about rhetoric schools in the classical tradition, but it is certainly based out of a similar concept to what you describe - a politician struggling to give a speech, with response options that include proposing special public speaking classes for them, a technological solution, and a few others. There may also be a slight brush with Issue #1447 option 1 (funding education to improve public comprehension of rhetorical devices in speech). Might be some other ways than a politician's speech you could approach the idea though, if you want to pursue it.
- Verdant Haven

User avatar
Random Country 453632
Envoy
 
Posts: 204
Founded: Jun 09, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Random Country 453632 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:34 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Please, would a editor answer the question raised in discussion of my draft for an issue called The Birdman of Pelicanz about numbering @@RANDOMNAME@@ occurrences & their related [MACRO] pronouns? I want to have the speaker in option 3 agree with the speaker in option 1 and refer to them appropriately as either "he" or "she" depending on their forename...


Not really an editor, but I think you can do that by labelling the macros?
like @@RANDOMNAME1@@ is a girl and speaker 3 uses @@HE1@@?

Im not really sure, just check the issues help
Last edited by Random Country 453632 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the mods srsly hate my signature

User avatar
Umbratellus
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 154
Founded: Aug 22, 2021
Conservative Democracy

Postby Umbratellus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:13 am

Verdant Haven wrote:Issue #852 "Brown Breeches Thanks to Speeches" isn't exactly about rhetoric schools in the classical tradition, but it is certainly based out of a similar concept to what you describe - a politician struggling to give a speech, with response options that include proposing special public speaking classes for them, a technological solution, and a few others. There may also be a slight brush with Issue #1447 option 1 (funding education to improve public comprehension of rhetorical devices in speech). Might be some other ways than a politician's speech you could approach the idea though, if you want to pursue it.

Alright, thanks for the nice breakdown. I’ll have to look into those issues and then head back to the drawing board.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20586
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:54 am

Random Country 453632 wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Please, would a editor answer the question raised in discussion of my draft for an issue called The Birdman of Pelicanz about numbering @@RANDOMNAME@@ occurrences & their related [MACRO] pronouns? I want to have the speaker in option 3 agree with the speaker in option 1 and refer to them appropriately as either "he" or "she" depending on their forename...


Not really an editor, but I think you can do that by labelling the macros?
like @@RANDOMNAME1@@ is a girl and speaker 3 uses @@HE1@@?

Im not really sure, just check the issues help

I'd already checked there, and as far as I could see the issues help doesn't say.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
Merni
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1685
Founded: May 03, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:15 am

Issue 278:
A hurricane recently devastated island chains under the aegis of Merni [...]
Does this mean the island chains are Mernian territory, or some kind of semi-autonomous region or colony, or an independent state with strong dependent ties to the Mernian government?
Donate your free time | GA Committee List | OOC by default | Admins: Please allow blocking WA TGs!
The Labyrinth | RIP Residency 3.5.16-18.11.21, killed by simplistic calculation | TGW Warden
Econ -9.5 Soc -3.85
Wrote 532 GA
meth
I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born. — Ronald Reagan (eww)
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.' — Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. — Ardchoille
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion [...] but rather by its superiority in applying organised violence. — Samuel P. Huntington (even he said that!)

User avatar
Verdant Haven
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 892
Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:39 am

Merni wrote:Issue 278:
A hurricane recently devastated island chains under the aegis of Merni [...]
Does this mean the island chains are Mernian territory, or some kind of semi-autonomous region or colony, or an independent state with strong dependent ties to the Mernian government?


Take your pick! It's a deliberately ambiguous description that allows it to fit any number of head-canons without issue. Similar to the phrase "in your sphere of influence" that sometimes pops up, it can mean what you want in context - territory, protectorate, occupied state, weaker ally, trading partner, etc. In formal terms, it means that the island chain has your support or backing - the reason for that is left to the player.
- Verdant Haven

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Siti Onahil

Advertisement

Remove ads