NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
NordicLand84
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 8
Founded: Oct 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby NordicLand84 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:11 am

Phydios wrote:
NordicLand84 wrote:i meant radioactive containers

#584 covered the issue of "what do we do with radioactive waste?" You'd need to make your issue different from that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

User avatar
Pogaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 2923
Founded: Antiquity
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pogaria » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:34 am

NordicLand84 wrote:
Phydios wrote:#584 covered the issue of "what do we do with radioactive waste?" You'd need to make your issue different from that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Creative thinking will help you more than screaming. For example, you could write an issue where a nation that decided to build deep disposal sites for nuclear waste realizes that they were improperly constructed. Or maybe the disposal sites are great, and other nations are asking if they can send their nuclear waste there. Follow-up issues always have a lot of potential.

Also, I think the issue in question was #542.
FYI: Pogaria is pronounced like puh-GAIR-ee-uh

User avatar
Dictator Anna 10
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Dictator Anna 10 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:29 pm

I've had an idea for an issue for a bit about someone having an alleged "ghost encounter" and pressing the leader to address it. I have a few ideas for how to get it going, but I suppose that as a start I'm wanting to make sure that an issue regarding ghosts wouldn't be too unrealistic?
Dax Lacerta-Vytherov
Councilor of Culture in Refugia
Former Major and Council Member of The Black Hawks
Former First Minister of Europeia

User avatar
NordicLand84
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 8
Founded: Oct 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby NordicLand84 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Pogaria wrote:
NordicLand84 wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Creative thinking will help you more than screaming. For example, you could write an issue where a nation that decided to build deep disposal sites for nuclear waste realizes that they were improperly constructed. Or maybe the disposal sites are great, and other nations are asking if they can send their nuclear waste there. Follow-up issues always have a lot of potential.

Also, I think the issue in question was #542.

I GOT AN IDEA
Your Country Uses one of its abandoned islands to dispose waste, but other people found better places
if this is taken, im gonna help on the ghost issue

User avatar
Sacara
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1847
Founded: May 13, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Sacara » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Dictator Anna 10 wrote:I've had an idea for an issue for a bit about someone having an alleged "ghost encounter" and pressing the leader to address it. I have a few ideas for how to get it going, but I suppose that as a start I'm wanting to make sure that an issue regarding ghosts wouldn't be too unrealistic?
I don't think it would be unrealistic, as long as you made sure not to make the assertion they are real in the description. Keep in mind I recently posted on this subject, "Who Ya Gonna Call?", last week. You are more than free draft one about this topic, though.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara,
I tend to hang out in Got Issues? a lot.
Issues That I've Authored (15)

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

User avatar
The Atlae Isles
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1061
Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Atlae Isles » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:54 am

Are there any issues (I couldn't find any but I might not have searched hard enough) about designer drugs being manufactured after scouring scientific publications? Here's an article in Nature that inspired this issue idea: https://www.nature.com/articles/469007a
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate-Elect of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

User avatar
Drew Durrnil
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1621
Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:37 pm

Are there any issues about @@LEADER@@ divorcing?
Nantoraka wrote:
The Nantorakan government would like to express their concerns about all the pedophiles lurking in this market. There's so much grease and body oil in the offers being made, that you could fry chicken in it. We strongly advise wearing a mask when making deals because the strong smell of kid-diddler permeates the air like a dead, fermenting animal.

Tarsonis wrote:Translation: "Notice me Senpai Donaldsan"

News: Former Elite President Pæta Marlín joins the cult of Yahlia, calling it his "sexual and spiritual awakening".

Proud title holder of "Most nations rickrolled on this site".

User avatar
NordicLand84
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 8
Founded: Oct 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby NordicLand84 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:53 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:Are there any issues about @@LEADER@@ divorcing?

dunno- DREW DURNIL!!!?!!?!?1?

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20586
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:36 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:Are there any issues about @@LEADER@@ divorcing?

I don't think that any would be allowed, because that would be too great an infringement on 'player autonomy'.[/not-an-Editor]
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13296
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Drew Durrnil wrote:Are there any issues about @@LEADER@@ divorcing?

I don't think that any would be allowed, because that would be too great an infringement on 'player autonomy'.[/not-an-Editor]

Even so, it would be a weird angle and be better off roleplayed.
Last edited by Outer Sparta on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 22827
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 am

Good news, everybody!

The Planet Express team has been hired to...

Wait, wrong notes.

A Upper House reinstatement issue has been published, so that's one fewer validity reversal needed. Took y'all long enough. 8)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9604
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am

The winners: Untecna and Daarwyrth. I've already seen the latter answer the issue, no-one else so far.

EDIT: Or rather, a different attempt by Daarwyrth, but with one effect line lifted off Untecna.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kors
Envoy
 
Posts: 266
Founded: Dec 02, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Kors » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:40 pm

Is there any issues about being too primitive?
Hello. I'm Kors. Welcome to my sig.It's a normal sig, a completely ordinary sig, an indifferent sig. You won't find anything different in this sig. MY LEADER AND MILITARY ARE IN MY OVERVIEW FACTBOOK!!!!!!!!!
Gender: It/that
news
Planned obsolescence banned in Kors : Several unknown satellites crash land into highest mountain in Iceland : Korsian welfare programs cut spending by 50% : Terrorist attacks on the Korsian governmental building result in the enaction of the emergency measures act : Carbon monoxide threat in southern Kors due to wildfires : Giant potato rolls off and chases farmer off mountain into the city, crushing and mortally injuring 3

User avatar
Jutsa
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5377
Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:23 am

I want to say so, but I can't recall where I've seen it... if it was even an issue and not a draft.

If we end up with an issue where everyone including the narrator talks like caveman (save for maybe some third speaker) then me be much impress.

Edit: If anyone else wants to answer the above question, maybe you could also answer one for me:
do we have an issue about firing really good generals who don't want to listen to you? Something along the lines of MacArthur. :P
ed: thinking a name like "mcGunther" could even work :v
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Here is a list containing a bunch of factbooks I created that are Got Issues? related.
>List of issue ideas
>List of missing issues/options
>List of accepted issues~
^ I know this is hardly a flashy signature, but at least I have one now.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20586
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:58 am

I've got an idea that would follow up on one particular choice from an existing issue, but before going ahead with drafting this I am asking whether the editors would be willing to consider the possibility or would consider this too "niche" to be worthwhile.

This would be a follow-up to issue 43, option 3, which lets convicts out of jail to work for Papa Pallocci's Pizza Pagoda: A businessman widely known to have mob connections but not yet actually convicted of any crimes -- perhaps re-use 'Morbidy Obese Tony, from issue #508 ('Ex-cons Robbed of Future'), option 3, as he seems appropriate to the 'food' theme -- announces plans to set up a rival pizza business and apply for convicts as workers (presumably, one of your more cynical advisors suggests, using jailed members of his own existing organization...) on the same basis...
Can you discriminate against him in this, although he hasn't yet been convicted of anything and so officially is just an innocent importer of (spices? olive oil?)?
Option 1 = yes, option 2 = no (or vice versa?), option 3 is make a much stronger effort to convict him of his crimes (even if that has to involve taking a few short-cuts through the legal process?).
I admit that this is a case where I started with the idea of the title, and then came up with ideas to fit that: It would be 'A Pizza The Action'.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
The Glorious Hypetrain
Attaché
 
Posts: 82
Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Glorious Hypetrain » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:53 pm

Is there any way to recover a previously submitted issue? I submitted an entry for the contest last month, didn't save my draft anywhere (my bad), and want to post it to the forum to get feedback and gauge interest now that it's over. Hoping to not have to re-write too much, but totally understand otherwise!
Kade W. Vasentius, NCS
When All Else Fails - Radio Works!
World Assembly Delegate, The Union of Democratic States
https://forum.theuds.org

Reploid Productions wrote:
Ozmenistan wrote:Wait, is this some RP or what? Or does everyone take NSG this seriously?

NSG is super srs biz. ... Apparently, so is NSGP, based on my current stalking of the GP forum.Though NSG and NSGP seem to have a real thing for repeated blunt force applied to long-deceased equines, so I guess they got that in common.
36 Camera Perspective";p="p33119611 wrote:The resignation of Pro Life-2017 from the World Assembly is an unspeakable tragedy that will be mourned perpetually throughout the annals of history.

User avatar
Pogaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 2923
Founded: Antiquity
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pogaria » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:34 pm

The Glorious Hypetrain wrote:Is there any way to recover a previously submitted issue? I submitted an entry for the contest last month, didn't save my draft anywhere (my bad), and want to post it to the forum to get feedback and gauge interest now that it's over. Hoping to not have to re-write too much, but totally understand otherwise!

Check your telegrams.
FYI: Pogaria is pronounced like puh-GAIR-ee-uh

User avatar
The Glorious Hypetrain
Attaché
 
Posts: 82
Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Glorious Hypetrain » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:37 pm

Pogaria wrote:
The Glorious Hypetrain wrote:Is there any way to recover a previously submitted issue? I submitted an entry for the contest last month, didn't save my draft anywhere (my bad), and want to post it to the forum to get feedback and gauge interest now that it's over. Hoping to not have to re-write too much, but totally understand otherwise!

Check your telegrams.


Thank you Pogaria!!
Kade W. Vasentius, NCS
When All Else Fails - Radio Works!
World Assembly Delegate, The Union of Democratic States
https://forum.theuds.org

Reploid Productions wrote:
Ozmenistan wrote:Wait, is this some RP or what? Or does everyone take NSG this seriously?

NSG is super srs biz. ... Apparently, so is NSGP, based on my current stalking of the GP forum.Though NSG and NSGP seem to have a real thing for repeated blunt force applied to long-deceased equines, so I guess they got that in common.
36 Camera Perspective";p="p33119611 wrote:The resignation of Pro Life-2017 from the World Assembly is an unspeakable tragedy that will be mourned perpetually throughout the annals of history.

User avatar
Kors
Envoy
 
Posts: 266
Founded: Dec 02, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Kors » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:33 am

Jutsa wrote:I want to say so, but I can't recall where I've seen it... if it was even an issue and not a draft.

If we end up with an issue where everyone including the narrator talks like caveman (save for maybe some third speaker) then me be much impress.

Edit: If anyone else wants to answer the above question, maybe you could also answer one for me:
do we have an issue about firing really good generals who don't want to listen to you? Something along the lines of MacArthur. :P
ed: thinking a name like "mcGunther" could even work :v

I will get to work right away.
Hello. I'm Kors. Welcome to my sig.It's a normal sig, a completely ordinary sig, an indifferent sig. You won't find anything different in this sig. MY LEADER AND MILITARY ARE IN MY OVERVIEW FACTBOOK!!!!!!!!!
Gender: It/that
news
Planned obsolescence banned in Kors : Several unknown satellites crash land into highest mountain in Iceland : Korsian welfare programs cut spending by 50% : Terrorist attacks on the Korsian governmental building result in the enaction of the emergency measures act : Carbon monoxide threat in southern Kors due to wildfires : Giant potato rolls off and chases farmer off mountain into the city, crushing and mortally injuring 3

User avatar
Debussy
Envoy
 
Posts: 210
Founded: Jun 19, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Debussy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:56 pm

How touchy is suicide and depression in issues that are suppose to carry some form of humor? I guess I'm asking how do I write about those topics, or are those types of issues acceptable?

The idea I had was that a popular sad song leads to a sharp increase in depression and suicides and the nation has to address what to do about it.
Last edited by Debussy on Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Verdant Haven
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 892
Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Debussy wrote:How touchy is suicide and depression in issues that are suppose to carry some form of humor? I guess I'm asking how do I write about those topics, or are those types of issues acceptable?

The idea I had was that a popular sad song leads to a sharp increase in depression and suicides and the nation has to address what to do about it.


It is an "adult" topic generally, but we do have a number of issues that touch on the question of suicide and depression. Issue 62 is directly about government response to rising depression-related suicides, and issue 496 is actually about suicide in the music world, with accusations about certain songs being "pro-suicide." There are also issues addressing suicide as it pertains to a number of other influences or factors.

If handled tactfully and with care, both depression and suicide are topics that can be written about within the NS Issues world. Finding a new or unique angle from which to approach the topic will require some research, but certainly can be done.
- Verdant Haven

User avatar
Naya Insaafistan
Secretary
 
Posts: 38
Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

About Issue #438 (Judicial Review on Trial)

Postby Naya Insaafistan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:33 am

the issue text reads, "In a landmark decision, the Supreme Court of The @@TYPE@@ today ruled that an obscure clause of the Constitution invalidates a government bill reaffirming the ban on same-sex marriage. Two groups have gathered in @@CAPITAL@@, one to protest the decision, the other to applaud it."

so, i'd like to ask, reaffirming what ban? i'm pretty sure i didn't have the heterosexuality policy when i received the issue, and the fact that heterosexuality did not show up as a cancelled policy upon option 2 being selected and the marriage equality policy being instituted suggests that i'm right in thinking i didn't have the heterosexuality policy when i received the issue. so there was no ban on same-sex marriage to be reaffirmed. the issue should either be re-written or made available only to nations with the heterosexuality policy.

furthermore, i do not see why selecting option 2 should result in the marriage equality policy being instituted. correct me if my understanding is lacking but i understand "same-sex marriage is banned" to mean that same-sex couples can face jail-time or other punishments when the ban is enforced. if the ban is lifted, same-sex couples no longer have to fear these punishments, but that does not mean that same-sex marriage is legally recognised or that there are any laws referring to "individuals of the same-sex married to one another" or that laws referring to "married couples" are understood to refer not only to opposite-sex couples but to same-sex couples as well. instituting marriage equality should cancel heterosexuality, and instituting heterosexuality should cancel marriage equality, but cancelling heterosexuality should not institute marriage equality, and cancelling marriage equality should not institute heterosexuality.

in actuality, there are 4 possible situations:

    same-sex marriage is illegal/banned
    there are no specific laws regarding same-sex marriage
    there are different laws for same-sex and opposite-sex couples
    the exact same laws apply to same-sex and opposite-sex couples
the first of these should be covered by the heterosexuality policy, the fourth should be covered by the marriage equality policy, the third, although it in effect is just legal recognition of same-sex marriage, may also be covered by the marriage equality policy in-game as i'm pretty sure in-name-only marriage equality exists irl as well, and the second should mean neither policy is in effect.

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9617
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:06 am

In light of what VH said in the Their Assured Destruction draft thread...
Verdant Haven wrote:As a general FYI, you don't need to suggest policy or stat results. Focus on writing a clear issue, so that the policy changes you think it should cause are obvious. If you do that, they'll be added backstage during editing, should the issue make it to the game.

perhaps the FAQ/HTWAI sticky could be updated to remind people that they should not be suggesting statistical effects or flag changes in their issue drafts in the first place. (My apologies if this is the wrong place for this.)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; possibly very controversial; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 46yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate; currently reading nothing much

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 13147
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:35 am

Tinhampton wrote:In light of what VH said in the Their Assured Destruction draft thread...
Verdant Haven wrote:As a general FYI, you don't need to suggest policy or stat results. Focus on writing a clear issue, so that the policy changes you think it should cause are obvious. If you do that, they'll be added backstage during editing, should the issue make it to the game.

perhaps the FAQ/HTWAI sticky could be updated to remind people that they should not be suggesting statistical effects or flag changes in their issue drafts in the first place. (My apologies if this is the wrong place for this.)

It doesn't say anything currently about suggesting stats so I'm not sure that we really need to remind people not to do something that isn't in the How To Guide. The only thing it does still have is to think about the validity which is still an option on the gameside submission page.

User avatar
SherpDaWerp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1269
Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby SherpDaWerp » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:32 pm

Luna Amore wrote:It doesn't say anything currently about suggesting stats so I'm not sure that we really need to remind people not to do something that isn't in the How To Guide. The only thing it does still have is to think about the validity which is still an option on the gameside submission page.

I gather this would have to be Admin making the change, else it would already have happened - but I'd like to note that the gameside "Advanced Issue Submission Guidelines" here still lists [stats] as a field to submit, which is probably where the majority of people get that information.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hentaigraado, Townlandow, Varanius

Advertisement

Remove ads