NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dragonisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dragonisia » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Why is it you get punished in the flat earth issue for telling your citizens their earth is flat?

Nationstates Earth is very flat.. in fact.. you could say its a 2 d narrative. Why must I lie to my citizens to be scientifically advanced? :P
APROUDMEMBEROF
THENEW PACIFICORDER

Personal Motto: L'État, c'est moi
Full Country Name: Dragonisia (PT), Dragonisia (MT), The Dragonisian Collective of Individual Personas(FT)
Demonym: Dragonisian
Rulers: Emperor Maelstrom Vortex, Empress Koudoawaia Vortex
Capital: Dragonisia
Government Type: Absolute Imperial with a representative democratic legislature. (PT/MT) Collective of DIstinct Minds (FT)
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dragonisia/detail=factbook
Tech: Willing to play at any tech range and fiction class.
Foreign Policy: Unrestricted Diplomacy
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64
More than you.
Likely, less than you. I've been inactive for a little while. This will likely change quickly.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:37 am

Dragonisia wrote:Why is it you get punished in the flat earth issue for telling your citizens their earth is flat?

Nationstates Earth is very flat.. in fact.. you could say its a 2 d narrative. Why must I lie to my citizens to be scientifically advanced? :P

Don't you have a globe in your flag? :)

Anyway. NS isn't flat. It's been around since February 2003!
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Dragonisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dragonisia » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:44 am

But I'm reading it right now, it's totally flat.. 2D. Why do we diminish our pixel citizens lives simply because they are dimension-ally challenged? They deserve the truth!

The flag is from another dimension. *chortle* That "globe" is also flat! I mean.. run your finger over the flag. Technically it's the cross section of a sphere with the impression of one of the sphere's side.
Last edited by Dragonisia on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
APROUDMEMBEROF
THENEW PACIFICORDER

Personal Motto: L'État, c'est moi
Full Country Name: Dragonisia (PT), Dragonisia (MT), The Dragonisian Collective of Individual Personas(FT)
Demonym: Dragonisian
Rulers: Emperor Maelstrom Vortex, Empress Koudoawaia Vortex
Capital: Dragonisia
Government Type: Absolute Imperial with a representative democratic legislature. (PT/MT) Collective of DIstinct Minds (FT)
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dragonisia/detail=factbook
Tech: Willing to play at any tech range and fiction class.
Foreign Policy: Unrestricted Diplomacy
Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64
More than you.
Likely, less than you. I've been inactive for a little while. This will likely change quickly.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:21 pm

Dragonisia wrote:But I'm reading it right now, it's totally flat.. 2D. Why do we diminish our pixel citizens lives simply because they are dimension-ally challenged? They deserve the truth!

The flag is from another dimension. *chortle* That "globe" is also flat! I mean.. run your finger over the flag. Technically it's the cross section of a sphere with the impression of one of the sphere's side.

You're mistaken. You're just not pushing hard enough.

Jab your finger on your screen as hard as you can. No, harder than that. HARDER.

See? Break the surface, and the glorious third dimension is right there.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:48 pm

That also sounds like a good way of exploring what lies under the three-dimensional structure of your finger.

RantSpot
Secretary

Founded: Feb 15, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby RantSpot » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:44 pm

I was thinking of writing an article about a stream of big-budget remake movies or TV shows as a commerce vs art, originality vs cookie cutter issue. I see there's 1090 I Ain't Afraid of No Girls, which seems to be more focused on gender-bending in remakes/adaptations, which I think is a separate social issue. Would there be room for a new issue with that much similarity but a different focus?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:34 am

Here's an issue I have no intention of writing about and the idea is up for grabs. I have no idea how true it is, and whether or not it's truthful is irrelevant.

Apparently in China, Good Samaritans who help people that were injured in whatever situation are financially liable for damages. E.g. let's say a passerby sees a person who's fallen on the side of the road, and decides to help them up, the passerby is liable for damages. This has lead to both- conartists who pretend to be injured in order to sue Good Samaritans who help them, and injured people who have been left to die because passer bys were scared of the consequences of helping them. Apparently, it goes even further. Apparently, there was a court case where a passerby was forced to pay for the damages of someone who was injured through no fault of the injured person, as "no innocent would want to help anyone" or some bullshit like that. Apparently now, there people will refuse to help passerbys unless they admit to the phone camera that they concent to being helped, and that helper was uninvolved in the incident. If you wish to write this issue, go for it.
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:09 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Here's an issue I have no intention of writing about and the idea is up for grabs. I have no idea how true it is, and whether or not it's truthful is irrelevant.

Apparently in China, Good Samaritans who help people that were injured in whatever situation are financially liable for damages. E.g. let's say a passerby sees a person who's fallen on the side of the road, and decides to help them up, the passerby is liable for damages. This has lead to both- conartists who pretend to be injured in order to sue Good Samaritans who help them, and injured people who have been left to die because passer bys were scared of the consequences of helping them. Apparently, it goes even further. Apparently, there was a court case where a passerby was forced to pay for the damages of someone who was injured through no fault of the injured person, as "no innocent would want to help anyone" or some bullshit like that. Apparently now, there people will refuse to help passerbys unless they admit to the phone camera that they concent to being helped, and that helper was uninvolved in the incident. If you wish to write this issue, go for it.

Don't we already have that issue about the shepherd who administers CPR by jumping up and down on the person? This seems like this would be a consequence issue of choosing the 'go after him' option... but even then, we already have that issue where a dying man is ticketed by police for being a nuisance. Or is there something I'm not getting?

RantSpot wrote:I was thinking of writing an article about a stream of big-budget remake movies or TV shows as a commerce vs art, originality vs cookie cutter issue. I see there's 1090 I Ain't Afraid of No Girls, which seems to be more focused on gender-bending in remakes/adaptations, which I think is a separate social issue. Would there be room for a new issue with that much similarity but a different focus?

Try it. Bear in mind we already have an issue where critics complain about all the bad films being made so make sure to skirt around that.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:50 am

Chan Island wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Here's an issue I have no intention of writing about and the idea is up for grabs. I have no idea how true it is, and whether or not it's truthful is irrelevant.

Don't we already have that issue about the shepherd who administers CPR by jumping up and down on the person? This seems like this would be a consequence issue of choosing the 'go after him' option... but even then, we already have that issue where a dying man is ticketed by police for being a nuisance. Or is there something I'm not getting?

That's different. The issue you're describing is "this guy tried to do good, but he ended up dping bad"
What I'm suggesting is "He chose to get involved instead of ignoring it, therefore he must have caused it"
Very different.
Say for example, Jason hit Tanya with his car. Bob, an univolved bystamder, sees the car accident and has two options, Bob can either try to help the woman, or Bob can walk away as if nothing happened. Now let's assume Bob chooses to help the woman. What you're describing is Bob tries to help the woman, however, he makes matters worse, and accidently kills her. However, what I'm proposing is that the police (or insurance company or whatever) sees Bob trying to revive the woman, and therefore Bob is accused of causing the accident, based on the idiotic and untrue claim that because Bob cares about the dying woman, he is the one who hit her.
So in situation 1- Bob, the bystander, tries to help and Bob makes the problem worse
In situation 2- Bob, the bysterstander, tries to help, so, therefore, according to the authorities, it's his fault for causing the incident in the first place.
Bob sees the dying woman on the street and tries to revive her but fails vs Bob sees the dying on the street and tries to revive her, leading the authorites to (incorrectly) blame Bob for putting her with his car.

Just to make it clearer. Jason hit Tanya with the car. Bob had no car as he was on a walk. However, Bob tries to help Tanya, so the police blammed Bob for hitting her with the car, even though Bob wasn't driving. Bob is now financially liable
The two situations are very different.
In the first scanario, Bob would be held liable for unintentionally killing the woman who was hit by a car, but he wouldn't have but he was not blammed for hitting her with his car, whilst in the second scanario, Bob would've been held liable for hitting her with his car, despite being innocent of such a crime.

Imagine Bob was on a walk, and he sees a car crash victim, so he tries to help the car crash victim. Because he got involved, the authorities assume that he caused the crash, even though he wasn't actually driving. That's what my issue is about.

Sorry for not being clearer in the first place. If I've still explained it wrong, let me know.
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:52 am

Here's an idea that's up for the taking- social credit ratings

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:35 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

That's different. The issue you're describing is "this guy tried to do good, but he ended up dping bad"
What I'm suggesting is "He chose to get involved instead of ignoring it, therefore he must have caused it"
Very different.
Say for example, Jason hit Tanya with his car. Bob, an univolved bystamder, sees the car accident and has two options, Bob can either try to help the woman, or Bob can walk away as if nothing happened. Now let's assume Bob chooses to help the woman. What you're describing is Bob tries to help the woman, however, he makes matters worse, and accidently kills her. However, what I'm proposing is that the police (or insurance company or whatever) sees Bob trying to revive the woman, and therefore Bob is accused of causing the accident, based on the idiotic and untrue claim that because Bob cares about the dying woman, he is the one who hit her.
So in situation 1- Bob, the bystander, tries to help and Bob makes the problem worse
In situation 2- Bob, the bysterstander, tries to help, so, therefore, according to the authorities, it's his fault for causing the incident in the first place.
Bob sees the dying woman on the street and tries to revive her but fails vs Bob sees the dying on the street and tries to revive her, leading the authorites to (incorrectly) blame Bob for putting her with his car.

Just to make it clearer. Jason hit Tanya with the car. Bob had no car as he was on a walk. However, Bob tries to help Tanya, so the police blammed Bob for hitting her with the car, even though Bob wasn't driving. Bob is now financially liable
In the first scanario, Bob would be held liable for unintentionally killing the woman who was hit by a car, but he wouldn't have but he was not blammed for hitting her with his car, whilst in the second scanario, Bob would've been held liable for hitting her with his car, despite being innocent of such a crime.

Imagine Bob was on a walk, and he sees a car crash victim, so he tries to help the car crash victim. Because he got involved, the authorities assume that he caused the crash, even though he wasn't actually driving. That's what my issue is about.

Sorry for not being clearer in the first place. If I've still explained it wrong, let me know.

That is truly insane, and I wonder how China can even work with such a mindset? And I assume that the fire brigade gets an exemption of some kind, because that might be a fun crazy option to add in.

Will definitely have to look into this.

Thanks for the heads up!
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:21 am

Chan Island wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:That's different. The issue you're describing is "this guy tried to do good, but he ended up dping bad"
Very different.

Here:

That is truly insane, and I wonder how China can even work with such a mindset? And I assume that the fire brigade gets an exemption of some kind, because that might be a fun crazy option to add in.

Will definitely have to look into this.

Thanks for the heads up!

Here:
https://medium.com/shanghai-living/4-31 ... 0972e28a82

Between this, social credit ratings and those guys who pretend to be Chinese cops I feel like we could have a whole series of issues inspired by China. I'm suprised that nobody has tackled the social credit score. If you wish to do so, then do so from the perspective of a government enforcing it and a private company enforcing it. I'd write the credit score issue myself, but it'd be lacking in humour
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:01 am

Apparently in China, Good Samaritans who help people that were injured in whatever situation are financially liable for damages. E.g. let's say a passerby sees a person who's fallen on the side of the road, and decides to help themup, the passerby is liable for damages. This has lead to both- conartists who pretend to be injured in order to sue Good Samaritans who help them, and injured people who have been left to die because passer bys were scared of the consequences of helping them. Apparently, it goes even further. Apparently, there was a court case where a passerby was forced to pay for the damages of someone who was injured through no fault of the injured person, as "no innocent would want to help anyone" or some bullshit like that. Apparently now, there people will refuse to help passerbys unless they admit to the phone camera that they concent to being helped, and that helper was uninvolved in the incident. If you wish to write this issue, go for it.
Huh, and I thought the US was sue-happy.

Australian rePublic wrote:Here's an idea that's up for the taking- social credit ratings
#1211 Free Credit Reports With Monitoring

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:49 am

RantSpot wrote:I was thinking of writing an article about a stream of big-budget remake movies or TV shows as a commerce vs art, originality vs cookie cutter issue. I see there's 1090 I Ain't Afraid of No Girls, which seems to be more focused on gender-bending in remakes/adaptations, which I think is a separate social issue. Would there be room for a new issue with that much similarity but a different focus?

I think this might be too similar to issue 440 which is about people complaining about movie sequels, remakes and spin-offs

Servilis
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:52 am

An issue where a nerd jumps in to ask if the nation can be more RPG-like...
So umm..... everyone carries a weapon, wears armor and also class systems....

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:18 am

Servilis wrote:An issue where a nerd jumps in to ask if the nation can be more RPG-like...

There's an issue about roleplaying games at present, 634 A Role to Play.

Beware of any overlap with that.

As to the idea you've suggested, in itself it doesn't sound much like an issue, but sounds more like an issue option. As in, it's the sort of oddball thing that might be suggested by a "crazy third option" but doesn't have enough to stand up on its own as an issue premise.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:28 pm

There are already plenty of issues for legalizing weapons. How would this be different?

Techolandia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm considering what topic to make an issue about next. I've thought of perceived musical contamination, but I'm not sure whether or not that could be notable enough, and there are other concerns as well.

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:19 am

Techolandia wrote:I'm considering what topic to make an issue about next. I've thought of perceived musical contamination, but I'm not sure whether or not that could be notable enough, and there are other concerns as well.

What is perceived musical contamination?

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:18 am

Also, does anyone know if there is an issue about self-incriminating statements in court?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:45 am

Fontenais wrote:Also, does anyone know if there is an issue about self-incriminating statements in court?
Well, we have some issues about self-incriminating statements before court, including during police interrogations and in artistic expression.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:18 am

Servilis wrote:An issue where a nerd jumps in to ask if the nation can be more RPG-like...

Well, the more interesting angle I suppose if we were going that way would be questioning what to do with real-life RPG characters.

Because no matter what class you choose, let's be honest.... you roleplay as a murder-hobo for most of them.

Techolandia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Fontenais wrote:
Techolandia wrote:I'm considering what topic to make an issue about next. I've thought of perceived musical contamination, but I'm not sure whether or not that could be notable enough, and there are other concerns as well.

What is perceived musical contamination?
Basically, Latin American music, some of which uses the harmonic minor, is becoming popular in @@NAME@@, but @@NAME@@'s classical composers don't like it.

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Techolandia wrote:
Fontenais wrote:What is perceived musical contamination?
Basically, Latin American music, some of which uses the harmonic minor, is becoming popular in @@NAME@@, but @@NAME@@'s classical composers don't like it.

It sounds like you know a lot about music.
I think you'd have to avoid talking about how Latin American music is a 'bad influence' or similar because #42 covers that with heavy metal music, but I think I gather you want to approach this from an artistic perspective. I honestly don't know if a similar issue exists or not.

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Fontenais wrote:Also, does anyone know if there is an issue about self-incriminating statements in court?
Well, we have some issues about self-incriminating statements before court, including during police interrogations and in artistic expression.

I was thinking of an issue where a witness refuses to testify in a murder trial because their evidence would be self-incriminating. Would it be reasonable to assume that the principle of self-incrimination already exists in Nation?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?