NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28195
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Fri May 17, 2019 10:39 am

The game doesn't have any way to determine @@LEADER@@'s gender. The thing where you can be categorized as a "Mother Knows Best State" is by pretitle.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
Third Asopia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 446
Founded: Aug 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Asopia » Sat May 18, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm just wondering if youth rebelliousness could work. But, I'm not creative in any way so I may need help.
Presenting my signature signature!
Procrastination... is the art of knowing you have a job to do but know there's like a year till it's due. It's elemental for the Asopin soul to survive in such a slow-paced world.
Bored of having to see Juventus winning the Schudetto too many times? Can wait to see that match where Ronaldo didn’t shoot at all? Tired of seeing Napoli fight for first place when there’s no point? Oh boy, you’ve found a new friend.

I got Theo Theodoridis as my flag model. Showing my love for Greece!

User avatar
Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Sat May 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Third Asopia wrote:I'm just wondering if youth rebelliousness could work. But, I'm not creative in any way so I may need help.


Presumably you're continuing the discussion from viewtopic.php?f=13&t=464680 , yes?
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Sat May 18, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

User avatar
Third Asopia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 446
Founded: Aug 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Asopia » Sat May 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:
Third Asopia wrote:I'm just wondering if youth rebelliousness could work. But, I'm not creative in any way so I may need help.


Presumably you're continuing the discussion from viewtopic.php?f=13&t=464680 , yes?

Yes.
Presenting my signature signature!
Procrastination... is the art of knowing you have a job to do but know there's like a year till it's due. It's elemental for the Asopin soul to survive in such a slow-paced world.
Bored of having to see Juventus winning the Schudetto too many times? Can wait to see that match where Ronaldo didn’t shoot at all? Tired of seeing Napoli fight for first place when there’s no point? Oh boy, you’ve found a new friend.

I got Theo Theodoridis as my flag model. Showing my love for Greece!

User avatar
The Super Fork
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 111
Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Anarchy

Postby The Super Fork » Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 am

I was thinking about writing a draft about the merits of different types of trains, like steam, diesel, electric, maglev, ect. Something like: "Maglevs are super fast!" "But they are too expensive, use cheap coal!" "No! Coal pollutes, use diesel!" "Electric trains are even better, use them!"

The closest thing I could find was Issue #634, which is more about fast, slow, cheap, or no trains in response to traffic congestion.

Thoughts?
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: 0.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19761
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 20, 2019 6:05 am

As you say, 634 is pretty close. I don't think it's worth doing just as a "which power source" issue, as then it also overlaps with #69.

User avatar
The Super Fork
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 111
Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Anarchy

Postby The Super Fork » Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 am

Regarding follow-up issues, is it possible for a choice to lead to multiple other issues?
Currently Issue #271 can chain into Issue #511. Is it possible to have Issue #271 chain into #511 and/or another issue?
My issue idea is that It you choose #271.6 (where the government pays vigilantes), poor citizens looking for cash turn to vigilantism and get wiped out by the criminals.
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: 0.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

User avatar
Pogaria
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 1627
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pogaria » Mon May 20, 2019 3:53 pm

The Super Fork wrote:Regarding follow-up issues, is it possible for a choice to lead to multiple other issues?
Currently Issue #271 can chain into Issue #511. Is it possible to have Issue #271 chain into #511 and/or another issue?
My issue idea is that It you choose #271.6 (where the government pays vigilantes), poor citizens looking for cash turn to vigilantism and get wiped out by the criminals.

Having chained issues means that answering a certain option always directly leads to another specific issue. Each option can only be linked to one issue. However, the next issue can also be chained to other issues.

Alternatively, many issue options activate a specific policy. For as long as that policy is active (meaning that you don't choose an option that reverses it), you will be eligible to receive any issue that requires this policy. Unlike a chained issue, there can be many possible follow-ups, and they probably won't arrive immediately.
FYI: Pogaria is pronounced like puh-GAIR-ee-uh

User avatar
Virtual States
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Feb 14, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Virtual States » Mon May 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Hi there!

I recently got Issue #1198, The Death Debate Isn't Dead Yet. I'd like to suggest an update to this issue.

The first option in response to the issue mentions unburied/uncremated dead bodies being a public health hazard. I'd like to point out that this is not necessarily the case. Dead bodies only present a serious health hazard if the person dies due to disease, and at that point the body could only spread that disease or whatever other communicable diseases the person may have had at the time of death. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_ri ... ead_bodies

The second option directly responds to the first option, argues against it, and provides an alternative. I'd like to suggest that the fact that only the bodies of persons who die from disease present any real health hazard be added to this option's rebuttal of the first option. It would make the second option's argument stronger, and also presents an opportunity to educate players on this subject.

Thanks!

User avatar
The Sherpa Empire
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1546
Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Virtual States wrote:Hi there!

I recently got Issue #1198, The Death Debate Isn't Dead Yet. I'd like to suggest an update to this issue.

The first option in response to the issue mentions unburied/uncremated dead bodies being a public health hazard. I'd like to point out that this is not necessarily the case. Dead bodies only present a serious health hazard if the person dies due to disease, and at that point the body could only spread that disease or whatever other communicable diseases the person may have had at the time of death. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_ri ... ead_bodies

The second option directly responds to the first option, argues against it, and provides an alternative. I'd like to suggest that the fact that only the bodies of persons who die from disease present any real health hazard be added to this option's rebuttal of the first option. It would make the second option's argument stronger, and also presents an opportunity to educate players on this subject.

Thanks!


You can improve the odds of having it changed by providing an alternative text instead of hoping for the editors to write it for you.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19761
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 21, 2019 2:27 am

Virtual States wrote:Hi there!

I recently got Issue #1198, The Death Debate Isn't Dead Yet. I'd like to suggest an update to this issue.

The first option in response to the issue mentions unburied/uncremated dead bodies being a public health hazard. I'd like to point out that this is not necessarily the case. Dead bodies only present a serious health hazard if the person dies due to disease, and at that point the body could only spread that disease or whatever other communicable diseases the person may have had at the time of death. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_ri ... ead_bodies

The second option directly responds to the first option, argues against it, and provides an alternative. I'd like to suggest that the fact that only the bodies of persons who die from disease present any real health hazard be added to this option's rebuttal of the first option. It would make the second option's argument stronger, and also presents an opportunity to educate players on this subject.

Thanks!


No change is needed for multiple reasons here.

Firstly, and most importantly, speech within options represents the opinion of the speaker, not absolute fact. Seriously, pick just about ANY issue, and there'll be at least some information that is subjective opinion.

Secondly, some dead bodies die from disease, therefore some dead bodies are a health risk, therefore dead bodies as a category represent a health risk.

While you're right that the public health risk of decomposing corpses is actually minimal and cadaver disposal represents a lower priority post-disaster than -- for example -- supplying clean water, this issue doesn't need to change on the basis of accuracy.

However, if you were to propose a specific textual edit that strengthens the story, we could consider it.

User avatar
Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Tue May 21, 2019 10:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
The Issue: After a hard day of resolving issues, you decided to cozy over to a nice comfy chair and turn on your television. After watching your favorite show, it then cuts to a commercial for what seems like a drug advert.


The narrative experimentation is interesting, but not working here. I suggest that the opening text should include the actual dilemma.


So I read this and immediately thought "why does the dilemma have to come first, anyway?"

I wonder if anyone has attempted a "solution looking for a problem" type of issue before. @@LEADER@@ wants to implement some sort of legislative change (or some intern does something difficult/embarrassing to reverse, or...), and then the debate among @@HIS@@ advisers is about which after-the-fact justification is best. Probably with a least a few Wag the Dog references.

Basically, put a fixed outcome in the description, then let the player choose a post-facto "description" from among the options (with, perhaps, additional implied outcomes depending on the level of ideological reach and/or depravity of that particular choice).
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Tue May 21, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19761
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 22, 2019 1:03 am

Could work if done well.

Experienced authors can and should play around with form.

However, just as you need to William Blake to know when classical meter is a hindrance, so too do you need to be able to make good issues before messing with standard forms.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28195
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 am

What if someone spilled Eckie-cola on the controls at a missile silo, and accidentally launched one of the missiles into a major city in an NPC nation, and you have to decide how to save face?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
Devil Heart
Attaché
 
Posts: 97
Founded: Aug 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Devil Heart » Wed May 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Ya made me laugh and splutter tea everywhere USS Monitor! Luckily my keyboard is still operational :D

Anyway, I'd like to try an issue about needing to re-colonise out there in space somehow because Earth is dying fast > the associated race against time alongside the prohibitive costs and the need for scientific development/experimentation in space to see what is going to work. You know, terra-forming, building your own planet etc, stuff like this:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/06/what ... -not-tech/
Or in more depth, Isaac Arthur ideas:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Isaak+terrafo ... &ia=videos

But I'd need lots of help. Probably need a co-author I'm guessing.
Anyway, is this too big a bite for this very beginner writer of issues?
Has something too similar been done?

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 28195
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Devil Heart wrote:Ya made me laugh and splutter tea everywhere USS Monitor! Luckily my keyboard is still operational :D

Anyway, I'd like to try an issue about needing to re-colonise out there in space somehow because Earth is dying fast > the associated race against time alongside the prohibitive costs and the need for scientific development/experimentation in space to see what is going to work. You know, terra-forming, building your own planet etc, stuff like this:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/06/what ... -not-tech/
Or in more depth, Isaac Arthur ideas:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Isaak+terrafo ... &ia=videos

But I'd need lots of help. Probably need a co-author I'm guessing.
Anyway, is this too big a bite for this very beginner writer of issues?
Has something too similar been done?


I think there are some interesting issues that could be written about terraforming or space colonies, but I question the premise of using that as a solution to ecological collapse on Earth. And when I say I question the premise, I don't just mean how well the narrative would fit NS. I also question the scientific plausibility of it. If we have the technology to terraform other planets, what is to stop us from using that same technology to fix the environment here on Earth? If we have the ability to keep people alive on a space station, what is to stop us from using that same technology to build self-contained cities on Earth?

I think it's OK to have someone in an issue say that @@NAME@@ needs to colonize space because Earth is dying, but you can't make an issue where Earth actually dies and people are forced to colonize space. It would alter the reality of the game too much and would not make enough sense.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
The Vladivostok Confederacy
Secretary
 
Posts: 27
Founded: Dec 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Vladivostok Confederacy » Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 pm

Would it be possible to write an issue about direct democracy vs representative democracy? I just wanted to make sure that
- It hasn't already been written and
- Something like this could affect policies and such, so would this even be possible?
The People's Republic of the Vladivostok Confederacy
Overview - General Secretary - Political Parties
The Vladivostok Tribune Headline: Lilliputian Freedom Fighters terrorist attack kills 48, wounds hundreds.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7846
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri May 24, 2019 3:15 pm

The Vladivostok Confederacy wrote:Would it be possible to write an issue about direct democracy vs representative democracy? I just wanted to make sure that
- It hasn't already been written and
- Something like this could affect policies and such, so would this even be possible?
Search the existing issues for "referendum"/"referenda".

User avatar
Minoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4423
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:11 am

Hello,

Sorry for the rushed message as I am busy today, but what are the newspaper banner codes for Issues 0, 666 and 999? I ask this question because I am updating the NSindex template documentation in the process of phasing out newspaper screenshots for each issue, in favour of a template-based newspaper generator.

-- Minoa
Last edited by Minoa on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

User avatar
Chan Island
Senator
 
Posts: 3990
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:14 am

Just been encouraged to get back in and have a query:

Do we have any issues about voters in a primary voting for a trash candidate to represent your party?

Also, do we have an issue at the moment about party loyalty?
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7846
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:03 am

Chan Island wrote:Also, do we have an issue at the moment about party loyalty?
#541, you mean?

User avatar
Chan Island
Senator
 
Posts: 3990
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:Also, do we have an issue at the moment about party loyalty?
#541, you mean?


Not quite, I was thinking more in terms of the membership or the hack, not the actual politicians. There was a case recently where a Labour Party operator type got expelled for going into tinfoil hat town when talking about anti-semitism.

I'll take this as a sign it hasn't been done yet.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19761
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:49 am

Minoa wrote:Hello,

Sorry for the rushed message as I am busy today, but what are the newspaper banner codes for Issues 0, 666 and 999? I ask this question because I am updating the NSindex template documentation in the process of phasing out newspaper screenshots for each issue, in favour of a template-based newspaper generator.

-- Minoa


Issue 0 uses the "default" banner that occurs if no banner code has been set. 666 uses c25 for main and b5 for side. 999 uses w3 for main and h1 for side.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19761
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:50 am

Chan Island wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:#541, you mean?


Not quite, I was thinking more in terms of the membership or the hack, not the actual politicians. There was a case recently where a Labour Party operator type got expelled for going into tinfoil hat town when talking about anti-semitism.

I'll take this as a sign it hasn't been done yet.


Yeah, sounds new.

There's also that Labour MP who recently got expelled from the party for publicly announcing that he voted Liberal Democrat in the European Elections. That might make an interesting party loyalty angle too.

User avatar
Minoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4423
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:59 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Minoa wrote:Hello,

Sorry for the rushed message as I am busy today, but what are the newspaper banner codes for Issues 0, 666 and 999? I ask this question because I am updating the NSindex template documentation in the process of phasing out newspaper screenshots for each issue, in favour of a template-based newspaper generator.

-- Minoa


Issue 0 uses the "default" banner that occurs if no banner code has been set. 666 uses c25 for main and b5 for side. 999 uses w3 for main and h1 for side.

Thanks, I am able to start rolling out the new template.

I assume that #407 is X4 for the main image, but I am not sure about the side image.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads