NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Inspired by the climate strike, is there an issue about using truancy as a form of protest/would it make for a good issue?
Last edited by Kurnugia on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 am

Do we have any issues on homeschooling? I feel like we should, but my keyword search didn't turn up anything :unsure:
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:18 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Do we have any issues on homeschooling? I feel like we should, but my keyword search didn't turn up anything :unsure:

Several issues about education have options that mention this.
e.g. #40, one option in which makes it the only form of schooling.
Hukd on Fonix Workd 4 Me!
[Bostion; ed:Reploid Productions]

The Issue
@@NAME@@ has a serious problem with poor literacy rates among 12-18 year olds, which many parents and teachers blame on the current state of the education system and lack of government funding.

The Debate
1. Boot Camp instructor @@RANDOMNAME@@ stated his opinion: "Who gives a damn? Makes 'em easier to turn into brainwashed grunts anyhow! You don't need to be able to read in order to fire a gun! What we need to do is focus on our military spending - what does it matter if you can read or not when you're overrun by warmongering barbarians?"

2. On the other side, there's @@NAME@@'s Education Administrator. "This is shocking news. If the children of tomorrow cannot read, then what? Next thing you know, we'll be speaking ebonics! The government must devote more efforts to education! Where will we be twenty years from now with an overflow of unskilled labor?"

*3. @@RANDOMNAME@@, principal of a highly-rated private school, prefers a different approach. "Instead of that, why not issue government vouchers so that parents can afford to send their children to privately run schools? We offer a far better education than the public schools. All we do is grind our particular religious views into our students!" [Must have private industry]

*4. @@RANDOMNAME@@, principal of a highly-rated private school in the United Federation, suggests a different approach. "Instead of that, why not issue government subsidies to help parents afford to send their children overseas, to privately run schools outside of @@NAME@@? We offer a far better education than the communist schools of your nation. Sure, they might pick up a few ideological tendencies, but I reckon that'll be good for your economy in the long run." [Must not have private industry]

5. "Who needs some fancy-shmancy cash-draining school system, anyway?" @@RANDOMNAME@@ declares from the front steps of his double-wide mobile home, shotgun in hand. "My Pa raised me and my eight brothers and three sisters without no waste of time schoolin'! My Pa taught me everythin' I need t'know, let all these whippersnappers' Mas and Pas teach 'em what they need t'know!"

The possibility of it existing alongside conventional schools appears in [at ;least: the first example that I could find] #910, in which a university has expelled a [formerly] home-schooled student as unsatisfactory after one term.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Bears Armed wrote:e.g. #40, one option in which makes it the only form of schooling.
#64, too.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:55 am

Thoughts on my issue?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=463444
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:12 pm

I've been looking at flying cars recently, and I think it would be cool to have an issue regarding flying cars for very scientifically advanced nations. The issue would explore regulation of flying cars the policy changes needed to make them useable in a nation.

Is this idea too futuristic or is it feasible?
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: 0.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:06 pm

The Super Fork wrote:I've been looking at flying cars recently, and I think it would be cool to have an issue regarding flying cars for very scientifically advanced nations. The issue would explore regulation of flying cars the policy changes needed to make them useable in a nation.

Is this idea too futuristic or is it feasible?

I'd be open to something with flying cars in it, but try not to make it just "flying cars: want or don't want?"
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Note that we already have issues about drones. While those are generally smaller than cars (not capable of carrying a person), that space does cover a lot of the questions that would come up with letting people own flying stuff.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:46 pm

Are there any issues concerning an EU-like union? Is it a good idea to try and write one? It seems as if I try to pursue this topic it would require various follow up issues as well.

I haven't been around for a while but want to get back into this.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Podium
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Missing an issue's title.

Postby Podium » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:18 pm

I'm in the middle of writing an issue that will (hopefully) do the rounds, but I've just noticed that I still don't have a title for my issue, and was hoping I could get some help here. The blurb reads as follows;

'A startling discovery in one of @@NAME@@'s cave systems has revealed a wide array of ancient artefacts dating to far before @@NAME@@ had even been founded, some of which give the scientists who uncovered them 'the heebie-jeebies'. Now, your ministers have (rather noisily) assembled before you to discuss.'

My idea was that these artefacts have SpOoKy MaGiC tHiNgS that affect things around them in... interesting ways.

Any help can and will be appreciated.

Dungeon Master, Social Disaster.

Author of Issue #1257

TWP | ADHD

Est. 2003

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:34 pm

I understand that it's normal to keep issues somewhere in the neighborhood of modern tech, however, in light of a recent experiment that seemed to revive pig brain cells hours after death I'm thinking #626 might be due for some extensions. Fully conscious pig brains are way outside current technology (they think...), however there's all kinds of cool (read: nightmarish) issuespace between #626 and that point. Just one of the interesting questions is how government regulators impose limits on research involving people, but not necessarily on dead tissue samples, or at least not the same sort. So is a reanimated brain (to whatever extent) a person or a dead tissue sample?

Good ethical/scientific/political questions here.

Also, this will help me sneak up to the "iPear Assistant is made of people!" issue. It's organic!
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 pm

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:I understand that it's normal to keep issues somewhere in the neighborhood of modern tech, however, in light of a recent experiment that seemed to revive pig brain cells hours after death I'm thinking #626 might be due for some extensions. Fully conscious pig brains are way outside current technology (they think...), however there's all kinds of cool (read: nightmarish) issuespace between #626 and that point. Just one of the interesting questions is how government regulators impose limits on research involving people, but not necessarily on dead tissue samples, or at least not the same sort. So is a reanimated brain (to whatever extent) a person or a dead tissue sample?

Good ethical/scientific/political questions here.

Also, this will help me sneak up to the "iPear Assistant is made of people!" issue. It's organic!

I think if the reanimated brain is conscious, it's obvious enough that's a person that an issue questioning it would be unbalanced.

If they just get a few neurons going off half-cocked without any consciousness, that's a more interesting question -- but be mindful of overlap with existing issues like 874.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 01, 2019 2:43 am

We do modernise issues.

Mobile Maladies, for example, was significantly revised to change it from concerns over radiation from phones (which was a big worry in the 80s and 90s) to worrying over excessive screentime and the death of social interaction, which is a much more modern anxiety over phones.

However, it's previously been not so much about adding new options for new technologies, and more about removing things which now seem out of date or dilemmas since solved with new technologies.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed May 01, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:I think if the reanimated brain is conscious, it's obvious enough that's a person that an issue questioning it would be unbalanced.

Maybe. On the other hand, there's been enough debate over whether a fully intact but vegetative person is still really "alive" too. A bucket brain just turns that question up to 11. I mean, it's just sitting there, so we really can't know, right...?

If they just get a few neurons going off half-cocked without any consciousness, that's a more interesting question -- but be mindful of overlap with existing issues like 874.

Hmm, #874 does have some potentially interesting implications. I'll hafta read it over a bit.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:We do modernise issues.

Mobile Maladies, for example, was significantly revised to change it from concerns over radiation from phones (which was a big worry in the 80s and 90s) to worrying over excessive screentime and the death of social interaction, which is a much more modern anxiety over phones.

However, it's previously been not so much about adding new options for new technologies, and more about removing things which now seem out of date or dilemmas since solved with new technologies.

Oh, sorry. I did say "#626 might be due for some extensions" but I really just meant writing new issues given some outcome of #626 and the apparent IRL fact that bucket brains are one small step closer to reality. That's all.
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Wed May 01, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

W1LLAN1A
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby W1LLAN1A » Thu May 02, 2019 4:40 am

Could I write an issue based on another game? I was thinking that my issue that I'm going to write is based on the game "Papers, Please", so I wanna base it off from it.
--------------------------------
-------------------------
--------------------------------

NORDIC REPUBLIC OF STYRKURIA
NORDUSLÉDVELDID ÂF STÉRKURÍÉ

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Thu May 02, 2019 6:30 am

Inspired by the discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=463737

Would an issue debating the merits of the 12 hour and 24 hour systems work?
Political Compass Score:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 am

W1LLAN1A wrote:Could I write an issue based on another game? I was thinking that my issue that I'm going to write is based on the game "Papers, Please", so I wanna base it off from it.

You can get inspiration from anywhere as long as you NSify it enough so it fits in here.

The Super Fork wrote:Inspired by the discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=463737

It might if it hasn't already been done.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Thu May 02, 2019 10:19 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Super Fork wrote:Inspired by the discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=463737

It might if it hasn't already been done.

Did a search for "clock" and "time" and didn't find any conflicting issues. Will be posting draft shortly. (I was bored and wrote it anyway)
Political Compass Score:

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Thu May 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Is there an Issue about food waste?
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Kurnugia wrote:Is there an Issue about food waste?

Yes to that one, though only indirectly - 546.
530.4 also references food waste in the effect line.

Helaw also has an issue in the staff folder which mentions food waste as a side effect of aesthetically imperfect foods being thrown away rather than sold.

If your'e doing an issue on food waste, I'd suggest focusing on one aspect of it rather than food waste as a hole, in order to minimise overlaps.

For example, you could do an issue about "buy one get one free" offers and the food waste they create, or an issue about fresh produce spoiling in hot climates because of poor transportation infrastructure, or the practice of putting "sell by" dates on food packaging.

Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019

Postby Bormiar » Thu May 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Just an idea and I don't know if it's possible with the current set of issues and if it would disrespect a player's autonomy over their own nation.

After a successful moon landing, Dàguó has removed your nation's flag from the satellite’s rocky surface. Planetary expansionists and science fiction enthusiasts alike have gathered to demand military intervention.

Thanks guys!

Note: This is my first time ever even posting on this forum, so I don't know how my topic sentence is.

Also, I am able to submit an issue at any time via my nation Of Tommy or Monkeyss.
Last edited by Bormiar on Thu May 02, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pogaria
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pogaria » Thu May 02, 2019 6:16 pm

W1LLAN1A wrote:Could I write an issue based on another game? I was thinking that my issue that I'm going to write is based on the game "Papers, Please", so I wanna base it off from it.

Keep in mind that issue 950 already references that game:
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88&start=50#950

Of course, you could write an issue that references different aspects of the game. Maybe something about whether border control officers should be issued weapons?
FYI: Pogaria is pronounced like puh-GAIR-ee-uh

Aingard
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 17, 2019

New idea

Postby Aingard » Thu May 02, 2019 8:40 pm

Hello NS! First post here.
Anyone know if there's any Issue that deals with the perceived or real negative influence or a foreign media (specifically television) on your country's people?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 03, 2019 2:33 am

Aingard wrote:Hello NS! First post here.
Anyone know if there's any Issue that deals with the perceived or real negative influence or a foreign media (specifically television) on your country's people?

801 does this, in the context of surprisingly explicit Brancalandian anime on kids TV.

There's other angles possible, but avoid overlap with this one.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 03, 2019 4:57 am

I was thinking about writing an issue for low tech countries (by which I mean, countries failing to use modern technology). This would be for two reasons:
1. Refusale to use modern technology (e.g. Amish)
2. Inability to afford modern technology

But I was wondering, if I take the former route, how I should work this. Should I treat it as if modern technology doesn't exist (save for an option where there's someone advocating for modern tech) or should I acknowledge the existence of modern tech exists and continue to disregard it?

If I go the later route, should I acknowledge that modern tech exists but @@NAME@@, but that @@NAME@@ can't afford it, or should I just ignore its existence
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?