NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:47 am

Trotterdam wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Televangelists are mentioned in a few issues (there's one televangelist option that I recall in "Commercial Tidings Well in Advance", for example). But I don't recall any issue specifically about televangelists.
#665 also has a televangelist option (as in one that is explicitly pro-televangelism, not just one which is suggested by a televangelist, of which there are more).

#891 addresses street preaching, which isn't the same as televangelism, but does bear some relation.

It would be very possible to avoid overlap with "Preach It", so I didn't count that one.

And worth pointing out that #851 is a televangelist option, wanting the televangelist's role acknowledged at Maxxmas.

However, it's possible to avoid overlap with both #665 and #851.

But, don't worry too much about potential minor overlap at this stage: should you pursue this idea Aussie, an editor will be able to advise if overlap needs reducing.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Revolutionary Atlantica
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutionary Atlantica » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:58 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Revolutionary Atlantica wrote:I answered an issue about "should political candidates be populists or not" or whatever, and one of my choices was to just appoint experts to carry out the polled wishes of voters directly. So I picked it, and now apparently I'm an Autocracy? Uhh no, it's called direct democracy. Maybe the answer doesn't phrase it in the best way but it's still it is. I'm aware most of the issues aren't adapted to see that as a possibility but that's hardly my fault. I went from top 5% political freedoms to 50%. This issue needs to be either changed or made more clear or something. I want my 'excessive' rating back!

Unusual Issue Effects belong in this thread in future. Please state the name/number of the issue and option you picked.

However, as I'm here, I'll answer this now.

You answered #1082 ("It's Hard to Separate Truth from Entertainment"), option three. And the option makes it clear you're getting rid of voting:

"Even if Tulsi Haggard stops parading around half-naked, Lisbeth Burrows stops talking about her fry bread recipe, and Ernie Flanders stops conducting symphonies, that won't stop voters from getting duped," sulks your Foreign Secretary, Hillary Smoochinger. "As long as elections are a popularity contest, personality politics are going to get in the way of choosing the most qualified candidates. We should just conduct surveys to find out what policies our citizens want, and you could appoint the most qualified experts to implement them. It's still democracy, except that people are recommending policies instead of voting for candidates."

There is no democracy when the @@LEADER@@(the "you" in the first bolded portion) is directly appointing the people they choose to posts, and there is no voting. Also "people recommending policies" does not mean that their recommendations can't be ignored -- it's down to @@LEADER@@.

Issue working as intended.

I think that's totally wrong, IMO. The answer literally says 'it's still democracy', and it's as close to direct democracy as I've seen on this site. I agree it doesn't say whether the recommendations are binding but I think that's just splitting hairs isn't it? My interpretation of issues is you can take the person at their word unless there's some sort of gag like "it's just a coincidence that he owns all the bus companies in the country" Considering there's no way to revert policies I think it's far too unclear. But sure, that's just my opinion. I don't think it's fair that it's treated the same as if I picked one of the "your brother says why not just let us decide everything?" issues.
Last edited by Revolutionary Atlantica on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:07 am

Revolutionary Atlantica wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Unusual Issue Effects belong in this thread in future. Please state the name/number of the issue and option you picked.

However, as I'm here, I'll answer this now.

You answered #1082 ("It's Hard to Separate Truth from Entertainment"), option three. And the option makes it clear you're getting rid of voting:

"Even if Tulsi Haggard stops parading around half-naked, Lisbeth Burrows stops talking about her fry bread recipe, and Ernie Flanders stops conducting symphonies, that won't stop voters from getting duped," sulks your Foreign Secretary, Hillary Smoochinger. "As long as elections are a popularity contest, personality politics are going to get in the way of choosing the most qualified candidates. We should just conduct surveys to find out what policies our citizens want, and you could appoint the most qualified experts to implement them. It's still democracy, except that people are recommending policies instead of voting for candidates."

There is no democracy when the @@LEADER@@(the "you" in the first bolded portion) is directly appointing the people they choose to posts, and there is no voting. Also "people recommending policies" does not mean that their recommendations can't be ignored -- it's down to @@LEADER@@.

Issue working as intended.

I think that's totally wrong, IMO. The answer literally says 'it's still democracy', and it's as close to direct democracy as I've seen on this site. I agree it doesn't say whether the recommendations are binding but I think that's just splitting hairs isn't it? Considering there's no way to revert policies I think it's far too unclear. But sure, that's just my opinion. I don't think it's fair that it's treated the same as if I picked one of the "your brother says why not just let us decide everything?" issues.

Backstage, the stats are actually different to one of the "your brother" issues. There is nothing that says that speakers will not paint their opinions in the most flattering light.

Besides-which, referenda being ignored is more of a side issue. The ultimate indication of whether you have democracy in NS is whether the voters vote for candidates (the description of autocracy says: "The nation does not hold democratic elections"), which they do not here.

And you can cancel your Autocracy policy in the future. The are many options to reinstate democracy; ten issues, one of the higher rates for reversals in the game. One will come along at some point.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:07 am

Revolutionary Atlantica wrote:it's as close to direct democracy as I've seen on this site.

There is an older issue with a referendum option that's more what you had in mind. Might want to keep an eye out for that as well as autocracy reversals (which there are several of, like Joy said.)
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:11 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Digedingdangdong wrote:I know we have an issue about what people can name their kids. Are there any issues about whether people are allowed to change their names? Or if politicians are allowed to use nicknames on the ballots?

There was a politician in Kentucky several years ago who tried to put something like "Honest Johnson" on the ballot, but the election officials wouldn't allow it, so then he tried to change his legal name.

Posting from a new puppet got me thinking about how names and things can influence the way people see you, and I thought of that story about the guy trying to call himself "Honest" on the ballot.

Not that I can find. The only issue I can find directly about names is "What's In A Name", which is about what legal names people can give their children.

I can't find anything about people being allowed to change their names or politicians using nicknames.

Australian rePublic wrote:Any issues about televangelists?

Televangelists are mentioned in a few issues (there's one televangelist option that I recall in "Commercial Tidings Well in Advance", for example). But I don't recall any issue specifically about televangelists.

Thanks
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:15 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Televangelists are mentioned in a few issues (there's one televangelist option that I recall in "Commercial Tidings Well in Advance", for example). But I don't recall any issue specifically about televangelists.
#665 also has a televangelist option (as in one that is explicitly pro-televangelism, not just one which is suggested by a televangelist, of which there are more).

Thanks!

#891 addresses street preaching, which isn't the same as televangelism, but does bear some relation.

No. Not the same concept that I've had in mind. The former is "I want you to accept Jesus/Mohammed/insert religious figure as your God/prophet/insert role, so you can go to Heaven/equivilant/reincarnated as something good". The later is "Jesus will cure your cancer if you give me money". The former is a religious person peacefully practicing their faith. The later is a con-artist who uses the name of God to scam money from the vulnerable, making ridiculous promises of curing diseases with no known cure. You might think that the former are annoying, and probably messy, but they're not conartists. Are there any issues about the later?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:The later is a con-artist who uses the name of God to scam money from the vulnerable, making ridiculous promises of curing diseases with no known cure. You might think that the former are annoying, and probably messy, but they're not conartists. Are there any issues about the later?

Sounds different enough to try drafting something.

Do check the issue(s) about taxing churches for any overlap problems, cos those also address what churches do with their money. But I don't think the overlap will make it impossible to do a new issue about scam televangelism.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:54 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:The later is a con-artist who uses the name of God to scam money from the vulnerable, making ridiculous promises of curing diseases with no known cure. You might think that the former are annoying, and probably messy, but they're not conartists. Are there any issues about the later?

Sounds different enough to try drafting something.

Do check the issue(s) about taxing churches for any overlap problems, cos those also address what churches do with their money. But I don't think the overlap will make it impossible to do a new issue about scam televangelism.

Cheers!

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Have there been any issues in the past that discussed some form of financial aid not being available to college, cops shooting unarmed people and cyberbullying?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Socio Polor wrote:Have there been any issues in the past that discussed some form of financial aid not being available to college, cops shooting unarmed people and cyberbullying?

Wouldn't they be seperate issues?

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:Have there been any issues in the past that discussed some form of financial aid not being available to college, cops shooting unarmed people and cyberbullying?

Wouldn't they be seperate issues?

Yeah, three separate issues

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Socio Polor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't they be seperate issues?

Yeah, three separate issues

Financial aid for university, I believe exists as an issue. I can't think of any from the top of my head regarding financial aid for cops shooting innocents, and I don't see how financial aid for cyberbulling would work, but if you can make it work, I suppose, go for it
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Socio Polor wrote:Yeah, three separate issues

Financial aid for college, I believe exists as an issue
I can't think of any from the top of my head regarding financial aid for cops shooting innocents, and I don't see how financial aid for cyberbulling would work, but if you can make it work, I suppose, go for it

What, No :blink:. What I mean is one issue discussing financial aid for college students, another is about cops shooting unarmed people and the last is about cyberbullying. All separate issues

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Socio Polor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Financial aid for college, I believe exists as an issue
I can't think of any from the top of my head regarding financial aid for cops shooting innocents, and I don't see how financial aid for cyberbulling would work, but if you can make it work, I suppose, go for it

What, No :blink:. What I mean is one issue discussing financial aid for college students, another is about cops shooting unarmed people and the last is about cyberbullying. All separate issues

I see. Well, this is why I use Oxford commas...
This is awkawrd...
Uh... uh... **flees rapidly to stop drawing attention to myself**

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Socio Polor wrote:What, No :blink:. What I mean is one issue discussing financial aid for college students, another is about cops shooting unarmed people and the last is about cyberbullying. All separate issues

I see. Well, this is why I use Oxford commas...
This is awkawrd...

That's ok, we've all had our off moments. You actually made me laugh a bit with this one:
I don't see how financial aid for cyberbulling would work
:p

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:11 pm

Well it appears the cops shooting unarmed people idea was already explored via issue #458

Edit: and cyberbullying issue #636
Last edited by Socio Polor on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Socio Polor wrote:Have there been any issues in the past that discussed some form of financial aid not being available to college,
#209 Students Demand Financial Aid

Socio Polor wrote:cops shooting unarmed people
#326 Knitters In A Knot Over Police Stitch Up
#458 Bigtopian Lives Matter
#611 Blundering Battle Bureaucrats

Socio Polor wrote:and cyberbullying?
#636 Going on the Cyber Offensive
#804 Motivational Posters
#875 They See Me Trollin', They Threatenin'

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:Have there been any issues in the past that discussed some form of financial aid not being available to college,
#209 Students Demand Financial Aid

Socio Polor wrote:cops shooting unarmed people
#326 Knitters In A Knot Over Police Stitch Up
#458 Bigtopian Lives Matter
#611 Blundering Battle Bureaucrats

Socio Polor wrote:and cyberbullying?
#636 Going on the Cyber Offensive
#804 Motivational Posters
#875 They See Me Trollin', They Threatenin'

I found the ones for Cyberbullying and the cop. I did not see the one about financial aid *sigh*

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:No. Not the same concept that I've had in mind. The former is "I want you to accept Jesus/Mohammed/insert religious figure as your God/prophet/insert role, so you can go to Heaven/equivilant/reincarnated as something good". The later is "Jesus will cure your cancer if you give me money". The former is a religious person peacefully practicing their faith. The later is a con-artist who uses the name of God to scam money from the vulnerable, making ridiculous promises of curing diseases with no known cure. You might think that the former are annoying, and probably messy, but they're not conartists. Are there any issues about the later?

You should be able to avoid overlap, but -- with the latter idea of scamming people with cancer -- be aware of the existing faith healer issue #843 ("Quacking Up").

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Socio Polor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I see. Well, this is why I use Oxford commas...
This is awkawrd...

That's ok, we've all had our off moments. You actually made me laugh a bit with this one:
I don't see how financial aid for cyberbulling would work
:p

Actually... since that is your idea, you could work on that one. :P

Think of them as hitmen, but for juveniles. Your nation's police or whoever else found out that there are websites that ask for money, and in exchange, they will target the customer's victim and cyberbully them excessively.

Cyberbully for Cash.... Goodness, I hope this will stay within NS Issues.

------

EDIT: On another note, has there been a NS Issue about MLMs (Multi-Level Marketing Schemes) ? As someone who nearly got into it (thank goodness I didn't), I am willing to give this a try!
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:That's ok, we've all had our off moments. You actually made me laugh a bit with this one: :p

Think of them as hitmen, but for juveniles. Your nation's police or whoever else found out that there are websites that ask for money, and in exchange, they will target the customer's victim and cyberbully them excessively.

------

EDIT: On another note, has there been a NS Issue about MLMs (Multi-Level Marketing Schemes) ? As someone who nearly got into it (thank goodness I didn't), I am willing to give this a try!

The closest ones I found are Issue #686 and Issues #734

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Socio Polor wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:

------

The closest ones I found are Issue #686 and Issues #734

I think pyramid schemes are distinct enough, so long as you word in such a manner to destinguish it from the others issues, focusing primarily on the buisiness owners who fall pray to the scam, and focusing on the recruiting aspect

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:14 am

Valentine Z wrote:MLMs (Multi-Level Marketing Schemes)
Huh. Wikipedia has an article on them, but it doesn't list any examples :(

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 am

So I noticed there's Issue #1057 that mentions the Flu, Issue #1017 that talks about a fake flu medication and Issue #708 (option 2) that apparently shuts down flu research. But I haven't found an existing issue that discusses about people who refuse to take the flu vaccination. What do you guys think of this idea.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Socio Polor wrote:So I noticed there's Issue #1057 that mentions the Flu, Issue #1017 that talks about a fake flu medication and Issue #708 (option 2) that apparently shuts down flu research. But I haven't found an existing issue that discusses about people who refuse to take the flu vaccination. What do you guys think of this idea.

There are other similar issues that you may want to be aware of, including #413, #658, and especially #92.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?