NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:01 am

Do you think that the concept of the cross-race effect would make a good issue?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:27 am

Probably not, but it could be something that is mentioned in an issue that touches on related subjects.

What story were you thinking of for such an issue?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:46 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Probably not, but it could be something that is mentioned in an issue that touches on related subjects.

What story were you thinking of for such an issue?

Eye-witness sentances wrong person in a court of law
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:15 am

Possibly you could do a broader issue about the unreliability of witnesses and memory.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... s-have-it/

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:09 am

Mzeusia wrote:I'm thinking more about the ancient history of nations, because most of the issues I receive are to do with modern problems. What about an issue where something (maybe a statue of a famous ancient figure) gets desecrated. The solutions could be something like teaching people about the history, abandoning the history for more modern ways, abandoning modernism for a more primitive life-style.

Thanks.

May I have an answer to this question?

Thank you.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 am

You can't make many assumptions about a nation's history, because RL nations have such varied histories.

As for going from modern to primitive, that is done in a few issues already.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 am

Mzeusia wrote:I'm thinking more about the ancient history of nations, because most of the issues I receive are to do with modern problems. What about an issue where something (maybe a statue of a famous ancient figure) gets desecrated. The solutions could be something like teaching people about the history, abandoning the history for more modern ways, abandoning modernism for a more primitive life-style.
#701 is about an old statue, though not an ancient one (just two centuries ago).

#143 is about an archaeological find.

#287, #492, and #719 are about ownership rights of artifacts.

#176 is about history education and historical accuracy in entertainment media.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:We're not in need of a new editor right now, and if we were, we know who we'd be asking already. And no, not going to say. :)

It is a nice way to generate issue submissions, and the Player Submission pile is at an all time low (69 player-written issues, to 147 staff-written issues, which is why you're seeing such a high proportion of issues by staff being published right now) so it's worth considering, but right now running a contest probably isn't a good use of staff time.

The nature of issue authoring is that you tend to have a lot of submissions and a lot of would be authors, but most of the quality output comes from a small pool of quality writers. The trick here is getting those quality writers to stay active, and to find the next few quality writers.

Reminds me of my duties as minister of internal affairs. >.>

I'd get to writing more issues for that pool, but alas I've got a lot of projects to do, and those are on hold for today because pompous irl stuff.
(plus my head's not the most clear yet)

Don't worry, though. 'Soon as winter really sets in, and I'm trying to relax after shoveling with a cup of hot cocoa,
I'll probably be back to writing and shove all my project responsibilities away for the day. :P

edit3: third time's the charm?
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Possibly you could do a broader issue about the unreliability of witnesses and memory.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... s-have-it/

Cheers

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Is there an issue about space debris?
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Kurnugia wrote:Is there an issue about space debris?
#754.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:00 pm

Oh crap I forgot about that one...

*Crosses that out of ideas list*
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:14 am

Issue #897 "The Devil's Playground" - Option 3 mentions "...your niece, clambering into the backseat of your car." but this nation bans cars.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 am

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:Issue #897 "The Devil's Playground" - Option 3 mentions "...your niece, clambering into the backseat of your car." but this nation bans cars.

Changed.

@@LEADER@@'s niece now clambers into @@LEADER@@'s vehicle.

And, in case anyone's wondering, it doesn't need to be a car to have a rearview mirror: just look at this Amish buggy.

EDIT: ... And I just realised this was the Writer's Block. If you spot any inconsistencies with policies, possibly faulty macros, or objective errors with spelling or grammar, please could you raise them in this thread. This particular thread isn't checked all the time; there's a chance needed changes could be missed. Thanks.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Is there an Issue about brandalism?

My thinking is for the premise:

A free speech capitalist nation needs to decide if this is free speech or blatant infringement on intellectual property.
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Kurnugia wrote:Is there an Issue about brandalism?

A free speech capitalist nation needs to decide if this is free speech or blatant infringement on intellectual property.
I don't quite get what you mean by "brandalism", but for intellectual property issues, see #473, #500, and #85. (Also #340 and #603, the followups.)

Also #859 is about brand names, if that's what you meant.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Kurnugia wrote:Is there an Issue about brandalism?

I don't quite get what you mean by "brandalism", but for intellectual property issues, see #473, #500, and #85. (Also #340 and #603, the followups.)

Also #859 is about brand names, if that's what you meant.

"Brandalism" is like vandalism, but the art is painted over advertisements. It's supposed to be a statement against corporate control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandalism

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:17 am

That doesn't seem like an intellectual property issue at all. That's just normal, physical property (the advertising billboard) that's being vandalized.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:23 am

I guess he just confused the terms.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:50 am

As a follow up to option 583, how about an issue where Hare Krishners are confused as buskers?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:18 am

Australian rePublic wrote:As a follow up to option 583, how about an issue where Hare Krishners are confused as buskers?

We're moving away from referencing real-life faiths in the issue base. And I think Hare Krishners would be too close to Hare Krishnas for us to adopt. People would think we couldn't spell rather than assuming it's our in-universe version.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 am

Could there be an issue (for democratic countries obviously) where an election is coming up, and the candidate (maybe the leader or may a local govt official) is worried about losing. Then there can be a discussion about various ways of either discrediting all opponents, getting rid of democracy or making your party's candidate seem better.

Also, if this is will not work for whatever reason, there is no need to provide links to other issues to say that it overlaps. I don't need evidence.

Thanks for your help.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am

We're moving away from referencing real-life faiths in the issue base. And I think Hare Krishners would be too close to Hare Krishnas for us to adopt. People would think we couldn't spell rather than assuming it's our in-universe version.

Regardless, would the idea still make for an OK issue? (I have no idea who they are ftr.)

Could there be an issue (for democratic countries obviously) where an election is coming up, and the candidate (maybe the leader or may a local govt official) is worried about losing. Then there can be a discussion about various ways of either discrediting all opponents, getting rid of democracy or making your party's candidate seem better.

Sorry, Mzeusia, but I think we have an issue along those lines. :(

Nice to see you back, though. Been a while. Same to you, Kurnugia. :)

Also, if this is will not work for whatever reason, there is no need to provide links to other issues to say that it overlaps. I don't need evidence.

Thanks for your help.

Sure thing! If you'd like some issue ideas, feel free to look at either Candlewhisper Archive's list or my own, or someone else's if they're out there.
Can't guarantee my list is as safe as CWA's, given I myself probably have overlap or just not-that-great ideas in there, but there're plenty of 'em. :)

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:10 pm

I've gone and taken a look at some suggested issues. Is the @LEADER@ impersonator issue still an option?

Thanks so much.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:34 pm

:rofl:

Yeah I have no intent on working on that one. I honestly don't know how good a premise that is,
but it's really funny. I didn't even come up with that one, either; that was Sacara's idea. :rofl:
edit: Don't worry, he had no intention of working on that one either.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?