NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rivienland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rivienland » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:32 pm

This is kind of specific, but has there been any issues on Tulip mania?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Rivienland wrote:This is kind of specific, but has there been any issues on Tulip mania?

Actually, pretty much. #881 features the boom of the Gallopavian gladioli, which are going for vastly inflated market prices.

I don't see how an issue on tulip mania could significantly differentiate itself from that.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 am

Who's the CEO of Microcosm again?
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:58 am

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:Who's the CEO of Microcosm again?

That'd be all-round great entrepreneur @@RANDOMNAME@@. He/she gets about!

If you're looking for a tech CEO for an issue, a running joke that we have is that Elon Musk keeps turning up with different names, like "Eton Muscat" and "Melon Husk". The trick is never to use the same name twice. Kudos to anyone who can list all the Elon Musks in the game, because I certainly can't.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:01 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:Who's the CEO of Microcosm again?

If you're looking for a tech CEO for an issue, a running joke that we have is that Elon Musk keeps turning up with different names, like "Eton Muscat" and "Melon Husk". The trick is never to use the same name twice. Kudos to anyone who can list all the Elon Musks in the game, because I certainly can't.

I'm pretty sure that Microcosm isn't owned by @@RANDOMNAME@@... He appeared for sure in the issue where the digital currency crashed. I forgot what it was called though.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 am

Is there an issue that cancels out the Slavery national policy? My friend told me that he's been looking to get rid of that policy for two years.
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:53 am

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Microcosm isn't owned by @@RANDOMNAME@@... He appeared for sure in the issue where the digital currency crashed. I forgot what it was called though.

Microcosm occurs in issues 41, 303 and 437. In none of these issues is the Microcosm CEO given a fixed name.

It doesn't really matter how sure you are of your memory, I have the code database right in front of me.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:54 am

South Ccanda wrote:Is there an issue that cancels out the Slavery national policy? My friend told me that he's been looking to get rid of that policy for two years.

254 and 898 both give the option of abolishing slavery. I enacted that policy by accident once and it look around a week to reverse, but there were fewer issues back then.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:19 pm

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:I'm pretty sure that Microcosm isn't owned by @@RANDOMNAME@@... He appeared for sure in the issue where the digital currency crashed. I forgot what it was called though.

Microcosm occurs in issues 41, 303 and 437. In none of these issues is the Microcosm CEO given a fixed name.

It doesn't really matter how sure you are of your memory, I have the code database right in front of me.

Ah. I still vividly remember it as Will Blates...

Whelp, he's ousted now.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Aussie, Hyperloops sound like scifi, but they're really not that far off. Really, it's a question of logistics, not technology, and global construction logistics is more dependent on politics and economy than anything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperloop

On the subject of an issue on them, I would agree though that it treads too much of the same narrative ground as the high speed rail issue.

On the other hand, a consequence issue that chains off 634.1 wouldn't be a bad idea. That option currently picks up a whopping 70% of players who answer that issue, so it'd be a sensible one to chain off.

The consequence issue could look at the propositions for the high speed rail service, and ask you to pick between the available technologies (hyperloop, elevated magrail, bullet trains using existing rail gauges.)

The trick here would be making an issue that is technically well informed, but which isn't JUST about speed vs cost. For example, a bullet train approach could allow the same funds to provide high speed rail links to more cities and outlying regions, giving more economic equality. A hyperloop could encourage the growth of associated tech companies, but be more vulnerable to sabotage.

Lots of ways to develop that narrative, but it wouldn't be an easy write.

Yes. I am going to take a crack at it!
Last edited by Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Any issues of the consequences of a one child policy? Specifically related to a shortage of men/women, and/or acceleration of an aging population?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:12 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Any issues of the consequences of a one child policy? Specifically related to a shortage of men/women, and/or acceleration of an aging population?

We've got a submission in one of the folders about more male babies, or something like that, related to this policy. I've not looked closely at it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:53 am

Am I safe to assume there's an option for more female babies as well? :p
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:08 pm

I wish everyone in GI a very Merry Christmas! :)
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:06 am

Sacara wrote:I wish everyone in GI a very Merry Christmas! :)

And a merry Christmas to you too! :D
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:37 am

Chan Island wrote:And a merry Christmas to you too! :D
*Checks forums*

*Leaves forums*
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:30 am

Sacara wrote:
Chan Island wrote:And a merry Christmas to you too! :D
*Checks forums*

*Leaves forums*

:hug:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:41 am

oh dear

it's a Christmas miracle ,_,
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:30 am

Well, didn't even get through leaving comments on 1/2 of Chan's posts this morning. However, I'll be back later to finish the job. ;)
Commended by SC #382

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:39 am

I added to the fun
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:43 am

Well...one last hurrah for 2018, I guess.

Certainly going out with a bang here in GI.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:44 am

Candensia wrote:Well...one last hurrah for 2018, I guess.

Yeah, I mean me posting a draft is big at this point.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:47 am

I thought about posting a ton of my own drafts just to copycat Chan, but decided to just roll with one normal draft. :rofl:

Figured, it'd be better to actually comment rather than post drafts this time, and I'm busy enough with other stuff... u.u

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:47 am

Fauxia wrote:
Candensia wrote:Well...one last hurrah for 2018, I guess.

Yeah, I mean me posting a draft is big at this point.

Of course, Lord Fauxia, but the issue scryers had forseen your eventual return.

or something
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Oppermenia
Minister

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:49 pm

So, has anyone seen National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? Well, in that movie, the father doesn't get his Christmas bonus and then his cousin-in-law kidnaps his boss and they make the boss see his mistake. Christmas has passed, but I want to make an issue that recreates that scenario, and even include some easter eggs for the movie for people that like the movie. So, is there an issue lie that? If not, then does that sound like a solid issue idea?
"Stick to the pack, and the pack will provide."
We are a leftist nation that believes in the "we" over "I". That's why we are fond of wolves, because the Alpha looks after the pack.
Stick with us, and give us loyalty, and we'll do things that benefit you, and we'll stick with you.
If you cross us, however, then as a pack, we will hunt you.
Don't underestimate us.
To learn more about the nation, click here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?