NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:49 am

Chan Island wrote:It'll be a draft about having vigilantes. In particular, what's going to happen is that a caped crusader charged headfirst into a sensitive hostage situation, resulting in casualties. The basic idea is that someone will argue that they should divvy up the work into separate competencies, with the vigilantes, say, dealing with misdemeanours while the police take out the real nasties. Or something like that.
That's not how most superhero comics work. Vigilantes take care of the really nasty villains while the police, if they ever accomplish anything at all, probably do so only against petty pickpockets and jaywalkers. Also occasionally vigilantes who jaywalked while in pursuit of a really nasty villain.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Hmm...

do we have an issue about whether jay walking should be a crime? :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:It'll be a draft about having vigilantes. In particular, what's going to happen is that a caped crusader charged headfirst into a sensitive hostage situation, resulting in casualties. The basic idea is that someone will argue that they should divvy up the work into separate competencies, with the vigilantes, say, dealing with misdemeanours while the police take out the real nasties. Or something like that.
That's not how most superhero comics work. Vigilantes take care of the really nasty villains while the police, if they ever accomplish anything at all, probably do so only against petty pickpockets and jaywalkers. Also occasionally vigilantes who jaywalked while in pursuit of a really nasty villain.

Well, that was going to be the joke. Somehow got them mixed up in my head last night. :oops:

Phydios wrote:
Chan Island wrote:I'm a bit stuck on an idea and how to really do it.

It'll be a draft about having vigilantes. In particular, what's going to happen is that a caped crusader charged headfirst into a sensitive hostage situation, resulting in casualties. The basic idea is that someone will argue that they should divvy up the work into separate competencies, with the vigilantes, say, dealing with misdemeanours while the police take out the real nasties. Or something like that.

Thoughts?

Have you read #271 to make sure that your idea is sufficiently original?

I have. This idea is to deal much more with areas of expertise, as opposed to whether or not the vigilantes should exist at all. For example, historically many country's "police forces" expected communities to deal with crimes like theft on their own, but things like forgery were always a sure ticket to getting some government troops crashing down your door.

Jutsa wrote:Hmm...

do we have an issue about whether jay walking should be a crime? :P

We have a great deal of issues that assume jaywalking is illegal, so be careful for what you wish for.... :rofl:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 am

It'll be a draft about having vigilantes. In particular, what's going to happen is that a caped crusader charged headfirst into a sensitive hostage situation, resulting in casualties. The basic idea is that someone will argue that they should divvy up the work into separate competencies, with the vigilantes, say, dealing with misdemeanours while the police take out the real nasties. Or something like that.

Thoughts?

It would be good if accidental deaths of innocents were involved
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 am

One way that superheroes often mess up even in their own stories is causing lots of collateral damage. Like blowing up buildings to make the fight scene look cooler, but sometimes making viewers wonder if the cost of failing to stop the villain wouldn't have been more than the value of the property the hero destroyed in apprehending the villain.

Note #564, a more understated take on this subject.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Trotterdam wrote:One way that superheroes often mess up even in their own stories is causing lots of collateral damage. Like blowing up buildings to make the fight scene look cooler, but sometimes making viewers wonder if the cost of failing to stop the villain wouldn't have been more than the value of the property the hero destroyed in apprehending the villain.

Note #564, a more understated take on this subject.
Australian rePublic wrote:

Thoughts?

It would be good if accidental deaths of innocents were involved

Good point. I remember that a lot of people commented on the "Man of Steel" that even though Superman took out the villain in the end, the fight scene in the major city would likely have wracked up a death toll in the *thousands*.

I'll take into account 564 as I make this draft.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:59 am

Don't forget that in NS, costumed heroes aren't actually superheroes. There's no super powers here, just vigilantes wearing masks and costumes.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:07 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Don't forget that in NS, costumed heroes aren't actually superheroes. There's no super powers here, just vigilantes wearing masks and costumes.
True, but Batman doesn't have superpowers either. Narrative tropes tend to be similar for powered and unpowered heroes. Sure, Batman can't just punch a skyscraper in half, but he could end up causing a fire that spreads to several city blocks because he knocked over a high-voltage cable in a fight, or catching a car thief by wrecking the car in a crash, or whatever.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 am

I've always imagined that Dogman is running at a much lower level of competence and tech than Batman. The Dogmobile is probably a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance limo.

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Does an issue about solitary confinement already exists?

nvm. got an awnser
Last edited by Kurnugia on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Are there any issues about renaming major cities with Indigenous names? Like Hobart-Nipaluna?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-3 ... na/9815422
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Kurnugia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurnugia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:50 pm

No Senate reversal? Is there anything going on with this?
Big Sister has always been Big Sister

Author of issue 1201

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about renaming major cities with Indigenous names? Like Hobart-Nipaluna?

That'd made for a good issue. :p
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Kurnugia wrote:No Senate reversal? Is there anything going on with this?

There's been a few attempts in the past few months, but none have appeared to pass the bar, so have at it!

Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about renaming major cities with Indigenous names? Like Hobart-Nipaluna?

Oooh, that'll be fun.... the only issue is that it presumes a fair amount about @@NAME@@'s history that players may not like.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I've always imagined that Dogman is running at a much lower level of competence and tech than Batman. The Dogmobile is probably a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance limo.

Yes, but what if, while in a hot-pursuit car chase the Dogmobile crashes into a traffic cone, which tumbles into a puddle, that splashes an electrician, who falls over into the open circuits he was working on, killing him and making his clothes catch fire, and then the fire consequently burns down an entire city block?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:14 am

Chan Island wrote:[

Oooh, that'll be fun.... the only issue is that it presumes a fair amount about @@NAME@@'s history that players may not like.

Yoy mean like 457? Or 664?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Here's another one I'm mulling about: diplomatic passports.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... vfMeXBg8C-

In particular, it turns out there has been a string of cases where celebrities go around with the diplomatic passports of very poor countries. Boris Becker, a German tennis player who is embroiled in a scandal involving a Central African Republic diplomatic passport that may or may not be forged (at this point, who knows).

Does anyone have any ideas for a narrative I could construct out of this?

The vigilante draft is coming soon too btw.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:08 am

Would it make sense to attempt an issue draft on "guerrilla journalism" in a country where only state media is allowed?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:35 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Would it make sense to attempt an issue draft on "guerrilla journalism" in a country where only state media is allowed?

An issue about alternative "guerrilla journalism" in a country with no freedom of the press would be interesting.

You'll probably need to think about having fairly different options for countries with/without the internet, though, as -- of course -- having the internet changes how resisters disseminate information and governments respond to the protest. How you'd do the non-internet options might be a bit more tricky, but, I suppose there were resistance newspapers before resistance websites.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Would it make sense to attempt an issue draft on "guerrilla journalism" in a country where only state media is allowed?

An issue about alternative "guerrilla journalism" in a country with no freedom of the press would be interesting.

You'll probably need to think about having fairly different options for countries with/without the internet, though, as -- of course -- having the internet changes how resisters disseminate information and governments respond to the protest. How you'd do the non-internet options might be a bit more tricky, but, I suppose there were resistance newspapers before resistance websites.

Thanks, I'll try that soon :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:15 am

There is a policy for state control of news, so definitely the issue idea on guerilla journalism would be cool.

My only thought though is that if a nation has decided to take control of the news, its probably also a given that they'll want to punish anyone who directly defies that.

What might be more fun and NS-like, however, would be some fringe case of something seemingly innocuous breaking the state control of media, and being asked what to do. For example, a bunch of 11-year-olds could do a grade school newsletter for their classmates as part of a school project, then get arrested for publishing unsanctioned news media.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:01 am

Chan Island wrote:Here's another one I'm mulling about: diplomatic passports.

In particular, it turns out there has been a string of cases where celebrities go around with the diplomatic passports of very poor countries. Boris Becker, a German tennis player who is embroiled in a scandal involving a Central African Republic diplomatic passport that may or may not be forged (at this point, who knows).

You'd have to mention that those nations issue passports to foreigners and why they do

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:44 am

Chan Island wrote:Here's another one I'm mulling about: diplomatic passports.

Hmm, interesting. But do you want to get involved with the issue of fake passports here? I think this would complicate matters. If you're gonna deal with diplomatic passports, I think you should just focus on that.

For example, why do people holding diplomatic passports get away with things that others can't?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:54 am

Heads up: a little something's come up irl, and that coupled with a bit of a lack of sleep has made it pretty hard for me to, like, focus,
so I'll probably be inactive for a little while longer.

Shame too; I was just recently inactive in order to play Portal. :roll:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Is there an issue about setting a pay cap for some occupations, like actors, athletes, or CEOs?
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:28 am

Is there an issue about treasure hunters causing damage to archaeological sites?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?