NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about people leaving their inheritance to pets, as opposed to their children/grandchildren

#161 covers this.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Phydios wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about people leaving their inheritance to pets, as opposed to their children/grandchildren

#161 covers this.

Thanks!
Though 161 is about whether or not inheritance should exist, mine is about who should benefit from it. I therefore believe that are sufficiantly different
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=445212
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Kozmix
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kozmix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:28 am

Talking about pets, are there issues on furries and other such public procession things?
Citizen of 10000 Islands, Fort Triumph and The Rejected Realms
10000 Islands
Knight of TITO
Senator
Deputy Regional Reserve Chairman
The Rejected Realms
Guest Editorial Assistant for The Rejected Times
Author of SC #260
Nominated for WASC Award and Ananke Award, Defender Awards 2018

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:42 am

Kozmix wrote:Talking about pets, are there issues on furries and other such public procession things?

There is one on BDSM enthusiasts making their fantasies public.

Other than that, I don't think so.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:39 am

There's been plenty of submissions on furries, but none of them really tackle the problem with any nuance other than "furries, yes or no?"
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Kozmix
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kozmix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:10 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's been plenty of submissions on furries, but none of them really tackle the problem with any nuance other than "furries, yes or no?"

*takes notes*

This seems like a very nice issue to work on :P
10000 Islands
Knight of TITO
Senator
The Rejected Realms
Author of SC #260

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:37 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:There's been plenty of submissions on furries, but none of them really tackle the problem with any nuance other than "furries, yes or no?"
To be fair, the BDSM issue doesn't have much more nuance than that, though it at least justifies it being a political issue by including the question "public BDSM, yes or no?".

Islands of Washington
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Islands of Washington » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am

That's true. All I ever see is people mentioning annoying threads, or mention them on RMB's of banning anyone they identify as a furry without any substantial evidence to why it should be banned.
A nation of Great....Imperialism...
I do hope you enjoy your stay...Not that anything....bad may happen....
MUHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHA!

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Is there an issue about passport strength? For example, Singaporeans have the world's most powerful passports, as they can visit 165 countries without needing a visa.

The Turkish passport, however, is weaker (Rank 43); as it only allows you to visit 112 countries, and most of those are what Trump would call "shithole countries," so you get the idea...

Perhaps we could have an issue about @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ complaining about not having a strong passport and not being able to visit many countries without a visa, but would I be assuming too much about @@NAME@@?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sacara » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Perhaps we could have an issue about @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ complaining about not having a strong passport and not being able to visit many countries without a visa, but would I be assuming too much about @@NAME@@?

Maybe you could have a validity of low pacifism?
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
To be fair, the BDSM issue doesn't have much more nuance than that, though it at least justifies it being a political issue by including the question "public BDSM, yes or no?".

Sure, which is part of why any new issue about fetishes needs to cover a different narrative approach. Can you imagine how many issues we'd waste if we had one issue for each fetish on that format?

Rule 34 suggests we'd double the number of issues in a day, but probably would also have significantly altered the Nationstates experience...

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there an issue about passport strength? For example, Singaporeans have the world's most powerful passports, as they can visit 165 countries without needing a visa.

The Turkish passport, however, is weaker (Rank 43); as it only allows you to visit 112 countries, and most of those are what Trump would call "shithole countries," so you get the idea...

Perhaps we could have an issue about @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ complaining about not having a strong passport and not being able to visit many countries without a visa, but would I be assuming too much about @@NAME@@?
What determines a passport's strength? What can a nation do to make its passport stronger (or weaker, if it for some reason wants that)? What reason would a nation have to accept or not accept some other nation's passport?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Is the amalgamation of @@CAPITAL@@ topic still in high demand?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there an issue about passport strength? For example, Singaporeans have the world's most powerful passports, as they can visit 165 countries without needing a visa.

What determines a passport's strength? What can a nation do to make its passport stronger (or weaker, if it for some reason wants that)? What reason would a nation have to accept or not accept some other nation's passport?

Mainly their international reputation and the likelihood of terrorist threat that can come from that country.

If you want to make your passport "stronger," you could try to do various things to improve your country's reputation, I guess.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Hmmm, I wonder if its to do with geopolitical positioning. Singapore has made it acceptable to both China and America, for example.

Good topic though. If well researched, would be an excellent issue.

Here's a fun link, where a British newspaper uses a ridiculously generous definition of "3rd place".
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... orts-2018/
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if its to do with geopolitical positioning. Singapore has made it acceptable to both China and America, for example.

Here's a fun link, where a British newspaper uses a ridiculously generous definition of "3rd place".

Another reason could be recognition. If you're not recognised, your passport's not accepted

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if its to do with geopolitical positioning. Singapore has made it acceptable to both China and America, for example.

Another reason could be recognition. If you're not recognised, your passport's not accepted

Well, I won't assume that @@NAME@@'s sovereignty is not recognized.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 am

By the way, is there an issue about selfie enthusiasts dying while they're trying to take selfies in dangerous places? Like, you know, rebellious youngsters climb up a skyscraper illegally and take a selfie at the top just so they can post it on Instagram. Something like that.

Some touristic places have indeed banned selfies (or selfie sticks) to prevent such deaths.

https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/20 ... -landmarks

Maybe this could make a good issue?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:By the way, is there an issue about selfie enthusiasts dying while they're trying to take selfies in dangerous places? Like, you know, rebellious youngsters climb up a skyscraper illegally and take a selfie at the top just so they can post it on Instagram. Something like that.

Some touristic places have indeed banned selfies (or selfie sticks) to prevent such deaths.

I did a draft in March 2017, so would feel super-sad if you made it obsolete.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=407450

But no rule against open competition, of course.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:32 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:By the way, is there an issue about selfie enthusiasts dying while they're trying to take selfies in dangerous places? Like, you know, rebellious youngsters climb up a skyscraper illegally and take a selfie at the top just so they can post it on Instagram. Something like that.

I did a draft in March 2017, so would feel super-sad if you made it obsolete.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=407450

But no rule against open competition, of course.

Oh, OK. I am not gonna read, though, as it might affect my ideas.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Kozmix
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kozmix » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 am

Are there any issues on acronym use in legislation?

Something like "Youth doesn't care about politics because they don't understand it, so introduce that type of language that youth relates to" versus "that will lose nuance in the law and so should not be oversimplified" and so on
10000 Islands
Knight of TITO
Senator
The Rejected Realms
Author of SC #260

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:59 am

Sounds similar to #567.

Kozmix
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kozmix » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Sounds similar to #567.

Not in the slightest, not what I have in mind anyways.... *brews issue draft*
10000 Islands
Knight of TITO
Senator
The Rejected Realms
Author of SC #260

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Are there any issues related to eating and drinking on public transport?
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Got two issue questions:

Is there an issue to establish a semi-direct and/or direct democracy (the difference is that the former would require a petition process to establish a sufficient number of citizens wish to vote on the issue (i.e. Swiss democracy) where as direct democracy would be the entire population can vote on matters of law ala Anciet Athens).

Second is related to a land rent tax. Under this system, the tax is assessed by the price of the land prior to development. Only further taxation would be assessed to removal of natural resources to a profit (building a coal mine would be further taxable as the land is less valuable once it is removed but building a skyscrapers is not as it ads comercial value and thus overall land value to surrounding land.).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?