NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 am

Jutsa wrote:I actually have one, but it's another one of those I've pushed down in my immense list. :P

I imagine there are a lot of good ideas that are sitting around the bottom of someone's to-do list that they are too busy to actually write. You have them, I have them, I'm sure the editors all have them.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 am

Potential directions for communist issues (that aren't just economic issues/what flavour communism you want/do you want capitalism back?)

- Support (or otherwise) of allies that may have done... questionable things.
- Cultural revolution. Those pesky bourgeoisie novels and movies are brainwashing your people. What are you gonna do about it leader?
- Tit-for-tat diplomacy. Always a favourite, and plays nicely off the cold war theme many communist issues have.
- A brave new world stuff - science has come on in leaps and bounds and you're in charge of a country that (by definition) is attempting to build a better world. What should you do?
- Brain Drain. - A bit of a cliche, but are the doctors in your country happy earning nearly the same as someone who whittles spoons? Added complication - the state would have housed, trained and educated said doctor at no cost to the doctor.
- Proxy wars and how you're gonna conduct them. Those capitalist pigs over in the United Federation are sending in troops to prop up a dictator. Are you gonna sit back and take it, or are you gonna ferment a revolution?
- Science and space - I'm sure this is workable. After all, the USSR is pretty famous for its space program.

EDIT: More stuff.

-Centralised govt. v.s localised. Do you retain a strong vanguard party or do you move more toward a federation of collectives? There is a similar issue, but a bit of digging/research into the theory could yield a uniquely communist issue here I feel.
- The "we want our stuff back" issue. Your nation (in spite of what you might think) is just one of many. THere are other powerful nations out there, who may use economic leverage after you nationalised a bunch of their businesses.
- Revisionists everywhere! Okay, so it's been a while since the revolution. Do we carry on with the ideology and theories that got us here, or should these cornerstones be adapted for the modern age?
Last edited by Caracasus on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

Milintia wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think its not unexpected, as most people playing a web browser game are likely to live in capitalist nations, so the day-to-day real life issues we become aware of tend to be those of capitalist societies. Communist issues, on the other hand, require research.

Nah, it just means that communist nations are better than capitalist nations :p

I could think of some later on but I don't really feel comfortable writing them due to left-wing ideological bias, so I'll just post them here as I do and let anyone have a go at them.

Eh, I've got left wing ideological bias in real life, but I run a nation with strong libertarian and anti-environmental values, and have assembled a range of issues with a range of opinions, including Issue 720, which deals with the right wing fear of welfare funding terrorism. It's not hard to set conscious biases aside when writing, I think. Subconscious biases are tougher, but with enough reflective process and collaboration, you can often minimise those too.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

^^^ Not just ideas; I actually have 40 rough drafts written up. :blush:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Jutsa wrote:I actually have one, but it's another one of those I've pushed down in my immense list. :P

I imagine there are a lot of good ideas that are sitting around the bottom of someone's to-do list that they are too busy to actually write. You have them, I have them, I'm sure the editors all have them.

For me its not so much being too busy to write them, it's more that I'm consciously reining in my authoring to try to give more spotlight to others. Hard to resist penning the odd issue now and then, but mostly I'm nudging the community, as nobody objects to me having editing overactivity.

Milintia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Milintia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Milintia wrote:Nah, it just means that communist nations are better than capitalist nations :p

I could think of some later on but I don't really feel comfortable writing them due to left-wing ideological bias, so I'll just post them here as I do and let anyone have a go at them.

Eh, I've got left wing ideological bias in real life, but I run a nation with strong libertarian and anti-environmental values, and have assembled a range of issues with a range of opinions, including Issue 720, which deals with the right wing fear of welfare funding terrorism. It's not hard to set conscious biases aside when writing, I think. Subconscious biases are tougher, but with enough reflective process and collaboration, you can often minimise those too.

Aye, I'm just new to the whole thing - the draft I posted earlier today is my first ever, so I think said bias would be easier to reduce as I gain more experience with issue writing. Maybe I'll have a go at them a few months down the line when I actually have sure footing, though.
Last edited by Milintia on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overview
I do not use NS Stats!
A level 16 civilisation, according to this index.
I'm Schrodinger's Nation; I'm both inside and outside of the WA until you pass a resolution.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Milintia wrote:I could think of some later on but I don't really feel comfortable writing them due to left-wing ideological bias, so I'll just post them here as I do and let anyone have a go at them.
I think some left-wing ideological bias is probably okay in an issue that's specifically only assigned to left-wing nations to begin with.

Remember, issues are best when the choices they offer appear balanced from the point of view of the player who has to answer them.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Are there any issues about people who are missing, probably dead, and their families want to collect death benefits like life insurance or pensions or whatever, but because they don't have the body they aren't able to collect? I was thinking about this in the context of climbers who don't make it back from Mt. Everest, but it could also work with something like a plane crash in a remote area.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Caracasus wrote:- Tit-for-tat diplomacy. Always a favourite, and plays nicely off the cold war theme many communist issues have.
We also have a bunch of cold war issues (particularly involving Blackacre) that aren't specifically about capitalism/communism, though. I don't think we should automatically conflate the two.

Granted, since capitalism is the global norm (both in issues' narrative assumptions and in the actual player nation demographics), a communist nation would invariably experience some alienation and diplomatic tension. However, we also shouldn't overdo it, which would give the impression that the only flaw with communism is evil outsiders who keep trying to tear it down, and that it'd work perfectly without them.

Caracasus wrote:- Science and space - I'm sure this is workable. After all, the USSR is pretty famous for its space program.
Actually, the space program seems to be something that's heavily controlled by the government even in capitalist nations (see: NASA), with the concept of private space access only relatively recently becoming a discussion point (#574), so I don't think communist nations would do things very much differently.

As for why the USSR was so interested in space, that ties into cold war stuff.

Caracasus wrote:-Centralised govt. v.s localised. Do you retain a strong vanguard party or do you move more toward a federation of collectives? There is a similar issue, but a bit of digging/research into the theory could yield a uniquely communist issue here I feel.
#339 addresses an alternative to central planning.

USS Monitor wrote:Are there any issues about people who are missing, probably dead, and their families want to collect death benefits like life insurance or pensions or whatever, but because they don't have the body they aren't able to collect? I was thinking about this in the context of climbers who don't make it back from Mt. Everest, but it could also work with something like a plane crash in a remote area.
This should absolutely come with a followup issue when someone who was declared legally dead turns up alive after all.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:Are there any issues about people who are missing, probably dead, and their families want to collect death benefits like life insurance or pensions or whatever, but because they don't have the body they aren't able to collect? I was thinking about this in the context of climbers who don't make it back from Mt. Everest, but it could also work with something like a plane crash in a remote area.
This should absolutely come with a followup issue when someone who was declared legally dead turns up alive after all.

That would make sense.

Milintia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Milintia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Out of interest, I noticed this in the FAQ:

That said, there are a few things that an issue cannot affect:
  • The World Assembly (we did this once, it did not go over well)

What issue was that, and what happened? It sounds like a total disaster.
Overview
I do not use NS Stats!
I'm Schrodinger's Nation; I'm both inside and outside of the WA until you pass a resolution.

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Milintia wrote:Out of interest, I noticed this in the FAQ:

That said, there are a few things that an issue cannot affect:
  • The World Assembly (we did this once, it did not go over well)

The issue gave you the option to resign from the WA.

Some players genuinely didn't understand the implications of picking the option, and actually resigned, losing endorsements and regional influence.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:31 pm

I think another option to leave the WA was actually added, as well, funnily enough.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Yup. #132 1 and #837 4.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:01 am

Man I really need to read and update that thread. It's got my name on it now, but I have no knowledge of what information it contains.

Milintia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Milintia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:41 am

Singapore no2 wrote:
Milintia wrote:Out of interest, I noticed this in the FAQ:

The issue gave you the option to resign from the WA.

Some players genuinely didn't understand the implications of picking the option, and actually resigned, losing endorsements and regional influence.

But it clearly says about resigning from the WA?

What did they expect?
Overview
I do not use NS Stats!

Singapore no2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Singapore no2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:02 am

Milintia wrote:
Singapore no2 wrote:The issue gave you the option to resign from the WA.

What did they expect?

That it was another joke issue or some other nonsense.
My Published Issues
Death Note
This is a Modern-Tech nation. We only put a satellite and a man into space so far.
We are a Middle power, so if we die, so will some of the global economy.
We have the 8th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. (RL world)
Pro: Regulations, Military, Law and Order
Anti: Freedom of speech, Discrimination, CHEWING GUM
Just so you know, I don't think like that. That stuff is roleplaying Singapore (itself, the real life nation)
I have many issues, and you can find the complete list here.

Quote of the year:
Fauxia wrote:Editors aren’t real people.

Milintia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Milintia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:05 am

If I may make a late suggestion for an event that might be of interest, Jutsa:

Either the Vietnam speech which strained relations between him and LBJ, or Atlanta, where JFK got involved and released him.
Overview
I do not use NS Stats!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 am

You get a warning if you are about to pick an option to leave the WA - violet put that in some time back to help stem the complaints. A few weeks ago, I also added a warning to the issues that abolish your government. Today I've updated the How To thread to clarify these things.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 am

Milintia wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
What's the idea you had?

Basically, a Cabinet minister in your country is unveiled to have been conducting diplomacy with a foreign power behind your back while on "holiday". This coincided with behaviour after they came back that, in light of this new information, is directly in this other country's interests, causing a national scandal.

There was the case of the three anti-Brexit politicians who went to hold unauthorized talks with a member of the European Commission, too...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Milintia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Milintia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Milintia wrote:Basically, a Cabinet minister in your country is unveiled to have been conducting diplomacy with a foreign power behind your back while on "holiday". This coincided with behaviour after they came back that, in light of this new information, is directly in this other country's interests, causing a national scandal.

There was the case of the three anti-Brexit politicians who went to hold unauthorized talks with a member of the European Commission, too...

True! I'm not sure anything came of that, though.

It's something to think about for an issue, I guess.
Overview
I do not use NS Stats!

Ransium
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:46 am

Today is my (and I think Helaw's) 1-year anniversary of being an IE!

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor since January 20th, 2017 with some down time.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator since November 10th 2017 with some down time.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:34 am

Happy... uh... idk what you'd call it, but congratulations! :3

Helaw
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Helaw » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:28 am

Ransium wrote:Today is my (and I think Helaw's) 1-year anniversary of being an IE!

Woo! I'll go get the balloons and party poppers.

Milintia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Milintia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:41 am

Helaw wrote:
Ransium wrote:Today is my (and I think Helaw's) 1-year anniversary of being an IE!

Woo! I'll go get the balloons and party poppers.

Happy IE-versary! (I think that's what it's called)

Should write an issue to celebrate :P
Overview
I do not use NS Stats!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?