NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 pm

Sooo, the big question RE bicameralism is how to get a situation going for such an issue to start. Anyone have any ideas for such a thing?

The Finntopian Empire wrote:I am trying to write better issues but I don't know how, I have written quite a few issues but none of them have been published, is this normal? or am I bad at writing?

Issues take a long time to be accepted, if ever. Don't worry too much about it.

Generally you will want to post drafts on the Got Issues forum so that other writers and editors can critique your idea before you submit it. Those improvements and the discussion the draft starts will exponentially improve your chances of getting it accepted but, again, no guarantees.

If your issue is accepted you'll just get a telegram telling you as such one day.
Last edited by Chan Island on Wed May 05, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed May 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Chan Island wrote:Sooo, the big question RE bicameralism is how to get a situation going for such an issue to start. Anyone have any ideas for such a thing?

Threat of invasion from the United Federation "to bring democracy to @@NAME@@", perhaps? It was an issue premise I once entertained.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Wed May 05, 2021 8:04 pm

How long does it take for an issue to be accepted? I haven't submitted any accepted ones before, but my guess is about 6 months.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed May 05, 2021 10:53 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:Threat of invasion from the United Federation "to bring democracy to @@NAME@@", perhaps? It was an issue premise I once entertained.
They'll even invade nations that are already democratic but unicameral?

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu May 06, 2021 12:50 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Threat of invasion from the United Federation "to bring democracy to @@NAME@@", perhaps? It was an issue premise I once entertained.
They'll even invade nations that are already democratic but unicameral?

Could be that they consider bicameralism an inherent part of democracy, and an abolishment of that as an attempt at Autocracy? Invasion may be a little excessive, but otherwise some sort of international critique or sanctions. It was just a thought of course, not a "we must do this" :) it's really difficult to think of an exciting scenario for this other than "people aren't pleased with your decision to abolish the upper house and have petitioned you to return to bicameralism".
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu May 06, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 am

The Finntopian Empire wrote:I am trying to write better issues but I don't know how, I have written quite a few issues but none of them have been published, is this normal? or am I bad at writing?

Your four issue submissions were really bad. As in so bad they are borderline spam - and spamming issues results in warnings. I am struggling to take your request here seriously, given your issues have included:

"The secret organisation of FC has recently discovered a juice found in dinosaur excrement will make humans have superpowers." as a premise, "Well laddy dad" and "strippers overjoyed at rise of small notes!" as titles, and "freebee issue!" as your fourth - which gives you a choice of "+1" to various different stats.

If you are here seriously, then draft your issues in this forum. Post a new thread for each one, and seek feedback from other experienced issues players/authors. Read this thread too, as it explains how to write a good issue.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat May 08, 2021 5:12 pm

I've just noticed the FAQ needs a minor update -
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Is there a list of all the issues somewhere?

Jutsa maintains this list. Please note that it may not always be up to date with new issues added into the game.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Founded: Jun 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Sun May 09, 2021 12:22 pm

I plan on making my first issue, but I cannot think of an idea of what it will be about. Help
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times
INT:| Canada "Gives Up" on Hiding Aliens and UFOs/ NAT:| Ravenian Astronauts That Went on the EELOO Mission Report Seeing a Mass of "Squidlike Handlike Starships"
Borb with an NS account and a crippling addiction passion to JoJo that Lives in the F7 Servers | TG’s are not for JoJo Stuff | Current Global Mood: I-is that a… | NSStats Accused of Treason to the Republic | Copper Plasma > Lasers

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 09, 2021 1:03 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:I plan on making my first issue, but I cannot think of an idea of what it will be about. Help

Try to look to your local news and media. What's happening in your town/city? What's happening in your local region? Or perhaps even your nation as a whole? A lot of issues are inspired by actuality in the real world, and I can assure you the newspapers or news sites are a treasure trove of inspiration :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Sun May 09, 2021 1:08 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Free Ravensburg wrote:I plan on making my first issue, but I cannot think of an idea of what it will be about. Help

Try to look to your local news and media. What's happening in your town/city? What's happening in your local region? Or perhaps even your nation as a whole? A lot of issues are inspired by actuality in the real world, and I can assure you the newspapers or news sites are a treasure trove of inspiration :)

I would write about that canal ship getting stuck, but I think someone did that already, and I live in a quiet area, so no real news happens here.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times
INT:| Canada "Gives Up" on Hiding Aliens and UFOs/ NAT:| Ravenian Astronauts That Went on the EELOO Mission Report Seeing a Mass of "Squidlike Handlike Starships"
Borb with an NS account and a crippling addiction passion to JoJo that Lives in the F7 Servers | TG’s are not for JoJo Stuff | Current Global Mood: I-is that a… | NSStats Accused of Treason to the Republic | Copper Plasma > Lasers

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 09, 2021 1:13 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Try to look to your local news and media. What's happening in your town/city? What's happening in your local region? Or perhaps even your nation as a whole? A lot of issues are inspired by actuality in the real world, and I can assure you the newspapers or news sites are a treasure trove of inspiration :)

I would write about that canal ship getting stuck, but I think someone did that already, and I live in a quiet area, so no real news happens here.

Yes, that was me, haha :)

Well, even if you live in a quiet area there may be interesting things to write about. Not all issues need to be about major world events, they can also be about the smaller things in life. And if you find that there isn't much that inspires you from regional news, try national news, or look even to international media and other countries. Neighbouring countries for example.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Sun May 09, 2021 1:15 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Free Ravensburg wrote:I would write about that canal ship getting stuck, but I think someone did that already, and I live in a quiet area, so no real news happens here.

Yes, that was me, haha :)

Well, even if you live in a quiet area there may be interesting things to write about. Not all issues need to be about major world events, they can also be about the smaller things in life. And if you find that there isn't much that inspires you from regional news, try national news, or look even to international media and other countries. Neighbouring countries for example.

I think about doing something from shakespeare, but would that be acceptable?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Yes, that was me, haha :)

I think about doing something from shakespeare, but would that be acceptable?

It depends on what you want to do about Shakespeare. Do you want to write about Shakespeare's play being read less? There's an issue about that already. Do you want people to attend more Shakespeare plays in theatre? There's an issue about theatres lacking funding and income already. What do you have in mind involving Shakespeare?

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Sun May 09, 2021 1:20 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Free Ravensburg wrote:I think about doing something from shakespeare, but would that be acceptable?

It depends on what you want to do about Shakespeare. Do you want to write about Shakespeare's play being read less? There's an issue about that already. Do you want people to attend more Shakespeare plays in theatre? There's an issue about theatres lacking funding and income already. What do you have in mind involving Shakespeare?

more like just a feud between two powerful families.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 09, 2021 1:23 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:It depends on what you want to do about Shakespeare. Do you want to write about Shakespeare's play being read less? There's an issue about that already. Do you want people to attend more Shakespeare plays in theatre? There's an issue about theatres lacking funding and income already. What do you have in mind involving Shakespeare?

more like just a feud between two powerful families.

Unfortunately, there's an issue about that already. It even uses alterations on the names of the Montagues and Capulets. Issue 571 "Family Feud".

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Sun May 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Free Ravensburg wrote:more like just a feud between two powerful families.

Unfortunately, there's an issue about that already. It even uses alterations on the names of the Montagues and Capulets. Issue 571 "Family Feud".

How about one where it makes 1, 2, or 3 houses of legislature?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 09, 2021 1:32 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Unfortunately, there's an issue about that already. It even uses alterations on the names of the Montagues and Capulets. Issue 571 "Family Feud".

How about one where it makes 1, 2, or 3 houses of legislature?

Well, the question of how to reverse unicameralism (in other words, restore bicameralism) is a topic that is still being discussed on how to approach. So far, a suitable approach to such an issue that makes sense and is exciting at the same time wasn't found, and it's proving very difficult to find a good angle. Until there is a reversal option, my advice would be not to add any issues that would allow a player to abolish bicameralism and install unicameralism. Perhaps an issue on tricameralism could be done, but then we'd have the entire dilemma start again on how to find an issue that reverses that.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Sun May 09, 2021 1:41 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Free Ravensburg wrote:How about one where it makes 1, 2, or 3 houses of legislature?

Well, the question of how to reverse unicameralism (in other words, restore bicameralism) is a topic that is still being discussed on how to approach. So far, a suitable approach to such an issue that makes sense and is exciting at the same time wasn't found, and it's proving very difficult to find a good angle. Until there is a reversal option, my advice would be not to add any issues that would allow a player to abolish bicameralism and install unicameralism. Perhaps an issue on tricameralism could be done, but then we'd have the entire dilemma start again on how to find an issue that reverses that.

So waiting on to see how we could do that.

How about something dealing with sports? i.e. unusual sports.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 09, 2021 1:44 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:How about something dealing with sports? i.e. unusual sports.

That's a broad subject, yes, I bet there is something in there that hasn't been written about yet. What did you have in mind?
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Free Ravensburg wrote:

That's a broad subject, yes, I bet there is something in there that hasn't been written about yet. What did you have in mind?

In my Lore, i have Siege the Castle, and it is very unorthodox. This existing would get some attention in real life. I would have it set with three alternatives, one where it is allowed, one where it isn't, and one that just bans sports all together.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 09, 2021 1:55 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:That's a broad subject, yes, I bet there is something in there that hasn't been written about yet. What did you have in mind?

In my Lore, i have Siege the Castle, and it is very unorthodox. This existing would get some attention in real life. I would have it set with three alternatives, one where it is allowed, one where it isn't, and one that just bans sports all together.

Okay, from what I see in the factbook you state that the sport is fairly bloody (and thus I assume violent). The problem with this is that there is already an issue that talks about dangerous/violent sports and how they should be limited/banned. The issue in question is #415 "Brain Pain On The Sports Plain". Perhaps you could try to see whether there is a different angle regarding unusual sports. Not sure if this is a good suggestion, but maybe a new sport is becoming popular in your nation, but none of the stadiums, playing fields, or other sports accommodations are built for that sport? Players of the sport want to train/hold competitions, but they don't have anywhere to do so because of it. Perhaps that's an angle you could pursue?
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun May 09, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Sun May 09, 2021 1:59 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Free Ravensburg wrote:In my Lore, i have Siege the Castle, and it is very unorthodox. This existing would get some attention in real life. I would have it set with three alternatives, one where it is allowed, one where it isn't, and one that just bans sports all together.

Okay, from what I see in the factbook you state that the sport is fairly bloody (and thus I assume violent). The problem with this is that there is already an issue that talks about dangerous/violent sports and how they should be limited/banned. The issue in question is #415 "Brain Pain On The Sports Plain". Perhaps you could try to see whether there is a different angle regarding unusual sports. Not sure if this is a good suggestion, but maybe a new sport is becoming popular in your nation, but none of the stadiums, playing fields, or other sports accommodations are built for that sport?

The last thing I can think of is LARPing, and it would fall under some other thing already done
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Okay, from what I see in the factbook you state that the sport is fairly bloody (and thus I assume violent). The problem with this is that there is already an issue that talks about dangerous/violent sports and how they should be limited/banned. The issue in question is #415 "Brain Pain On The Sports Plain". Perhaps you could try to see whether there is a different angle regarding unusual sports. Not sure if this is a good suggestion, but maybe a new sport is becoming popular in your nation, but none of the stadiums, playing fields, or other sports accommodations are built for that sport?

The last thing I can think of is LARPing, and it would fall under some other thing already done

Doesn't have to be. I think you can think of a sport, or use even a sport that's already mentioned, and approach it from the subject that I suggested. Your nation doesn't have the sporting accommodations to allow a new popular sport to be properly practiced, that would seem as an interesting topic to write on! :) you could even use your nation's sport I think.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun May 09, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Debussy
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Debussy » Mon May 10, 2021 12:29 am

In any issues, is there a spoof of INTERPOL on the books? If not, any suggestions on what to name INTERPOL in the NS multiverse?
Last edited by Debussy on Mon May 10, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova Catania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Catania » Mon May 10, 2021 6:38 am

If you want to do something about Shakespeare, I don't think there is an issue about something like Macbeth. It's about an ambitious general who wants to become king. I'm sure there is a way to adapt that into a NS issue.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?