NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:27 am

Polis Diamonil wrote:-snip-

The Issue Editors have asked for a freeze on all pandemic-related issues; this sounds like it would qualify.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Doesn't seem likely to me -- if a pharma company were to give away a drug for free, they'd choose who they give it to, not "sell it for nothing". After all, even without any underlying situation a rival could buy up their entire stock, and then resell it as a profit.

The premise doesn't sound feasible.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Korani
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Korani » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:45 pm

I've been looking everywhere for a source on how to find where to make issues. I've looked on google and it said that you could make issues by going to the issues tab, scrolling down, and clicking Want to make your own issue for NationStates? I actually haven't seen it. I've checked multiple times. So could someone tell me where to find the link to create an issue? Help is appreciated.

I sound dumb here.
Last edited by The Korani on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:09 pm

The Korani wrote:I've been looking everywhere for a source on how to find where to make issues. I've looked on google and it said that you could make issues by going to the issues tab, scrolling down, and clicking Want to make your own issue for NationStates? I actually haven't seen it. I've checked multiple times. So could someone tell me where to find the link to create an issue? Help is appreciated.

I sound dumb here.

Wait for about ten more days, then you will reach the 250 million population required to submit an issue. While you're waiting, why not write up your draft and submit it on this forum? :)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Korani
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Korani » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Wait for about ten more days, then you will reach the 250 million population required to submit an issue. While you're waiting, why not write up your draft and submit it on this forum? :)

Ooooooh. I will write the drafts in a second and see if you guys like it. Thanks for being so nice! :)
Last edited by The Korani on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:19 pm

The Korani wrote:The 2 drafts will be here

They go in their own topics (although you can float their ideas here before publishing) - one topic per draft, please.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Korani
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Korani » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Tinhampton wrote:They go in their own topics (although you can float their ideas here before publishing) - one topic per draft, please.

Ok I'll make sure to send it there

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Chan Island wrote:Just a quick comment noting we are on page 250 on the Writer's Block thread, meaning we are 50% of the way through it.

And something like 70% of it has only been posted since 2016.

I blame CWA... :p
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

The Korani
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] The Digger's Discovery

Postby The Korani » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 am

Mining companies such as the @@NAME@@ Gold Mining Service have discovered a new material that looks similar to Diamond. While research is being done, many people have come upon the meeting room to decide what to do with it.

[option]The manager of the @@NAME@@ Gold Mining Service, @@RANDOMNAME@@, was first to step in. "This new material could be great for our nation! Just think of how much @@CURRENCY@@s we could get! Leader, sell this new resource to our neighbors! They get the resource, we get the cash! Win-Win, correct?
[effect] The newest recourse is being sold around your region
[stats] size of government increases a bit, economy slightly increases

[option]"Forget what he said," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, as he steps into your office, eager to get his word out. "We need to conduct many tests before we can sell this! It could be very dangerous. When that's done, depending on what effect it serves, THEN we can do something. Safety first!"
[effect]Test labs are on every 7 streets
[stats] Research slightly increases, public safety slightly increases

[option]"All of you are wrong," says @@RANDOMNAME@@ as he salutes your flag in front of you. We need to compromise! Test it a little in the beginning, and then we can sell it! Doesn't that seem like a better option than fighting?
[effect] You were recently voted "Most Likely to make Peace"
[stats] Research increases a bit, size of government increases a bit

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm

The Korani wrote:[stats]

You do not need to recommend stats changes to the editors in your drafts anymore. As I've said earlier, please post your completed drafts in their own threads rather than just dumping them here.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:42 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Doesn't seem likely to me -- if a pharma company were to give away a drug for free, they'd choose who they give it to, not "sell it for nothing". After all, even without any underlying situation a rival could buy up their entire stock, and then resell it as a profit.

The premise doesn't sound feasible.

Not to mention that it'd be economic suicide given the expenses required to produce the drugs
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:51 pm

Okay, so I know that my issue "snowed under" was unimpressive to CWA, who stated that it snowed and a city wasn't prepared isn't something that should be an issue, even though such events make national news in his home country. But if I took it from a different angle? What if some guy with snow chains argues with a cop because the roads were closed due to snow? Would that be a better issue? Also, what about an issue about whether or not skidoos/snowmobiles should be legal in national parks or other nature reserves? We have these discussions IRL.

Also, also, when we're allowed to write pandemic related issues again, here's an idea for you:
Living in crowded cities allowing the virus to spread easily, vs living in rural areas, which don't have the capacity/facility to deal with pandemics. I'm not going to write the pandemic issue when we're allowed to write such issues, it's for anyone who wants it
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Okay, so I know that my issue "snowed under" was unimpressive to CWA, who stated that it snowed and a city wasn't prepared isn't something that should be an issue, even though such events make national news in his home country. But if I took it from a different angle? What if some guy with snow chains argues with a cop because the roads were closed due to snow? Would that be a better issue? Also, what about an issue about whether or not skidoos/snowmobiles should be legal in national parks or other nature reserves?

So you want a snow-themed issue?

I know a city being snowed in doesn't sound super interesting, but what if @@LEADER@@ is snowed in?

Imagine...

@@LEADER@@ is planning to meet with the leaders of
Maxtopia, Smalltopia, and Bigtopia at a diplomatic summit today. She wakes up, yawns, opens the curtains... and voila! She cannot see anything, because her house is buried in snow.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Laplund
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Laplund » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Hey y'all! It's my first time posting on the forum! Are there any issues relating to topic on tampering with consumer product? I really want to write them up, but I don't know if they have been done before (or if it actually a nationwide-worthy issue in the first place.) No harm involved if this issue is already written!

Edit: I looked and it seems that I couldn't really find any issues about products being tampered. Guess I'll start drafting my first issue!
Last edited by Laplund on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:38 am

Laplund wrote:Hey y'all! It's my first time posting on the forum! Are there any issues relating to topic on tampering with consumer product? I really want to write them up, but I don't know if they have been done before (or if it actually a nationwide-worthy issue in the first place.) No harm involved if this issue is already written!

Edit: I looked and it seems that I couldn't really find any issues about products being tampered. Guess I'll start drafting my first issue!

You mean like people who go to supermarkets to spit on produce? That's a police matter, not a leader matter

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:50 am

652.2 wrote: "Our aircraft aren't the problem, it's who's flying the plane!" replies pilot Hudson Sullenburger, running a flight simulator for students. "Did you know that pilot error is the number one cause of accidents? They've become lazy, sleep-deprived, and constantly tardy! We need more stringent measures on the training of pilots. We can introduce more intense and hands-on testing and ban anyone without a license from flying. Flying a plane is much more complex than video games make them look." The trainer now looks at the class and picks on a student. "Now Joey, you ever been in a cockpit before? Or have you seen gladiator movies?"

I finally understand this reference.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:54 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Laplund wrote:Hey y'all! It's my first time posting on the forum! Are there any issues relating to topic on tampering with consumer product? I really want to write them up, but I don't know if they have been done before (or if it actually a nationwide-worthy issue in the first place.) No harm involved if this issue is already written!

You mean like people who go to supermarkets to spit on produce? That's a police matter, not a leader matter

Maybe something like the 2018 Australian strawberry needling scandal?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Laplund
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Laplund » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:38 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:You mean like people who go to supermarkets to spit on produce? That's a police matter, not a leader matter

Maybe something like the 2018 Australian strawberry needling scandal?

Basically that and the Tylenol murder, which inspired me to draft an issue out of this. Although the medicine were tampered in that case, so I'm steering away from that for now. It did get nationwide attention to the point packaging was changed to prevent from being tampered.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:21 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Okay, so I know that my issue "snowed under" was unimpressive to CWA, who stated that it snowed and a city wasn't prepared isn't something that should be an issue, even though such events make national news in his home country. But if I took it from a different angle? What if some guy with snow chains argues with a cop because the roads were closed due to snow? Would that be a better issue? Also, what about an issue about whether or not skidoos/snowmobiles should be legal in national parks or other nature reserves?

So you want a snow-themed issue?

I know a city being snowed in doesn't sound super interesting, but what if @@LEADER@@ is snowed in?

Imagine...

@@LEADER@@ is planning to meet with the leaders of
Maxtopia, Smalltopia, and Bigtopia at a diplomatic summit today. She wakes up, yawns, opens the curtains... and voila! She cannot see anything, because her house is buried in snow.

Interesting, thanks

Latidonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Latidonia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:50 am

I've got an idea for an issue. The latest GA resolution had a typo about "peope" and it got me thinking about having a similar typo in a nation's Constitution. Something like this:

The National archive noticed that the clause in Nation's constitution that vested power in the people actually appears to state that the state powers come from the.. peope.
1. Just fix the typo -> "Typographical errors" in legislation are regularly amended to fit the government's desires
2. Peope clearly means POPE! -> People think the constitution is a load of papal bull
3. Who cares -> Peope have better thing to do than worry about grammer
4. Your skinhead brother-in-law suggest you change your title to Peope -> People fear the almighty and powerful Peope!

Is this a topic that's already covered? What do you think about this? Thanks! A possible option 5. could be like having the parliament debate on the topic or something like that.
Last edited by Latidonia on Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
⚖ The Republic of Latidonia ⚖

Wyvelo Plinth
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Wyvelo Plinth » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:12 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=484068&p=37028562#p37028562

I just noticed some potentials for improvements in the way this game awards Headlines, and I think a review/expansion of that system could significantly improve it by adding a few strings to the database.

Can we avoid giving leaders skinhead brother-in-laws? National leaders suffer significantly increased assassination risks if their social life falls apart so hard that their family marries into caveman lineages, and this game is rude enough to players as it is.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Latidonia wrote:I've got an idea for an issue. The latest GA resolution had a typo about "peope" and it got me thinking about having a similar typo in a nation's Constitution. Something like this:

The National archive noticed that the clause in Nation's constitution that vested power in the people actually appears to state that the state powers come from the.. peope.
1. Just fix the typo -> "Typographical errors" in legislation are regularly amended to fit the government's desires
2. Peope clearly means POPE! -> People think the constitution is a load of papal bull
3. Who cares -> Peope have better thing to do than worry about grammer
4. Your skinhead brother-in-law suggest you change your title to Peope -> People fear the almighty and powerful Peope!

Is this a topic that's already covered? What do you think about this? Thanks! A possible option 5. could be like having the parliament debate on the topic or something like that.

Ooo, I quite like the idea of an issue covering typos in legislation. Though I would recommend avoiding mentioning the Pope, I would instead go the route of something like the Grand Poobah or somesuch. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, so I think you should give a draft a whirl and see where it takes you.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Is there an issue dealing with a situation like the Dreyfus Affair? Like this: a military official who is most likely innocent is being court-martialed for treason, but the whole thing is muddled by the tried military official being part of a minority group.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

TalAkMaChen
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby TalAkMaChen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:39 pm

I did not find any obvious reference (looking for court-martial and treason). Funny enough, the only issues mentioning a court-martial are 329 and 1053, dealing with uniforms and soldier's offspring. There are several (civil) issues dealing with politicians (Ministers etc.) being prosecuted, but none for military personnel it seems.
Last edited by TalAkMaChen on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ser Ghez from Korbucci, President of TalAkMaChen

"It seems that sometimes I do get lost in details." — Ser Ghez, looking at annotations made to issues piling up on the desk

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Voxija wrote:Is there an issue dealing with a situation like the Dreyfus Affair? Like this: a military official who is most likely innocent is being court-martialed for treason, but the whole thing is muddled by the tried military official being part of a minority group.

A big part of the Dreyfus affair that you didn’t mention was that after he was convicted and imprisoned they found evidence of his innocence, but did not release him to save face and preserve confidence. Maybe consider an issue where the leader has to decide between keeping an innocent imprisoned to avoid showing the justice system as incompetent, or releasing him and dealing with the PR disaster of having such a gross miscarriage of justice.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?