NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Candensia wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:So I noticed there's Issue #1057 that mentions the Flu, Issue #1017 that talks about a fake flu medication and Issue #708 (option 2) that apparently shuts down flu research. But I haven't found an existing issue that discusses about people who refuse to take the flu vaccination. What do you guys think of this idea.

There are other similar issues that you may want to be aware of, including #413, #658, and especially #92.

Thanks. Yeah, the idea would likely overlap with one of those other issues

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:MLMs (Multi-Level Marketing Schemes)
Huh. Wikipedia has an article on them, but it doesn't list any examples :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _companies
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Has there ever been an issue created that deals with phones exploding. Inspired from the whole Samsung Phones exploding Incident

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:43 am

Xi Jinping banned Winnie The Pooh because he's often compared to him and is sensative about it. Yes, that's right- the President of China-a phsycotic dictator who rules over 1.3 billion people with an iron fist, is offended by the fact that he looks like a cartoon bear. Are there any issues about that? Also, I just remembered that I owe you an issue about dictators forcing people to give birth in Antarctica

Socio Polor wrote:Has there ever been an issue created that deals with phones exploding. Inspired from the whole Samsung Phones exploding Incident

Sounds familiar, but not 100% sure. Maybe there's something similar
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:45 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Xi Jinping banned Winnie The Pooh because he's often compared to him and is sensative about it. Yes, that's right- the President of China-a phsycotic dictator who rules over 1.3 billion people with an iron fist, is offended by the fact that he looks like a cartoon bear. Are there any issues about that? Also, I just remembered that I owe you an issue about dictators forcing people to give birth in Antarctica

I miss Hu Jintao.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Far Easter Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Far Easter Republic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Do any of you got issue ideas I could use?
[box]Welcome to the Far Easter Republic, where political angles can be left, right, acute or obtuse.
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
Browns, Indians and Cavs fan.
8values: Centrist:https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=41.5&d=45.2&g=48.5&s=45.2
9axes:https://9axes.github.io/results.html?a=35&b=70&c=55&d=65&e=80&f=15&g=55&h=55&i=85
Compass:Left/Right:3.25; Authoritarian/Libertarian:1.28
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1159280
The difference between ISIS and Antifa is ISIS is Muslim, and Antifa wears jeans sometimes.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Far Easter Republic wrote:Do any of you got issue ideas I could use?

If I do recall correctly, an issue specifically relating to acid rain has yet to appear in the issue base.

That being said, if you do decide to craft something related to acidic precip, the story should be something unique, and probably not just an “industry vs environment” debate, as those exist in abundance.
Last edited by Candensia on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:Has there ever been an issue created that deals with phones exploding. Inspired from the whole Samsung Phones exploding Incident

Sounds familiar, but not 100% sure. Maybe there's something similar

I'll be sure to check. Also while watching the show "The Good Doctor." It gave me an idea. There hasn't been a issue that discusses Medical Doctors who suffer from autism has there?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:27 pm

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1150249

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:01 pm

I sometimes mull over ideas for follow-ups to my existing issues.

For example, if you legalize online marriage in "Marriage By Proxy Server," you might have cybercriminals exploiting the system to marry millionaires (stealing their personal info and using it to fill out the marriage forms) and then try to get a fat divorce settlement.

I also thought of doing one where two people in a nation that doesn't allow divorce got married by accident due to a misclick and a cat walking across someone's keyboard.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

I sometimes mull over ideas for follow-ups to my existing issues.

For example, if you legalize online marriage in "Marriage By Proxy Server," you might have cybercriminals exploiting the system to marry millionaires (stealing their personal info and using it to fill out the marriage forms) and then try to get a fat divorce settlement.

I also thought of doing one where two people in a nation that doesn't allow divorce got married by accident due to a misclick and a cat walking across someone's keyboard.

I've been thinking of doing the same for my "Got Metal" Draft. If metal detectors in school is legalized, the premise should be reversed to ban metal detectors in schools and maybe even everywhere in @@name@@.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008

Postby Kylarnatia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:55 am

Socio Polor wrote:-snip-

Bare in mind that follow-ups shouldn't just be about reversing the effects of the previous issue though. It should be about the unexpected consequences of that decision and what you can do to fix it, or reverse it.
Last edited by Kylarnatia on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:17 am

I once tried to write a chain issue about a currency union, but it was riddled with problems. However, I would like to see issues about a currency union within the game. This time, I was thinking of writing a single issue which triggers/reverses the currency union policy, and then everyone is free to write currency union issues based on that.

Now, when I tried to introduce this big problem with introducing a currency union to NS issues
1. Player autonomy- we can't assume that two players share a currency, and, by extension, we can't assume that one's economy effects another. This can be worked around with a series of currency union specific NPCs. i.e. NPCs specifically created for the sole purpose of sharing a currency with @@NAME@@. I suppose these would go under a different catagory in Jutsa's list of NPCs.

2. The secomd isdue is how to deal with the fact that @@CURRENCY@@ is already a named currency. There are a few work arounds here
A. Informal Unions- This is where many nation's adopt use someone else's currency. For example, Nauru uses the Australian Dollar exclusibely, East Timor uses the US dollar exclusively. Using this method, @@NAME@@ would be the sole controller and sole namesake of the currency, thus rendering that issue null and void
B. The predessor to the Euro. For example, the Italian lira is pegged to the Greek drachma. For example, 10 drachma is worth 10 liras. You can purchase a 1 drachma item in Greece for 10 liras, and vice versa in Italy. I think that Singapore and Brunei use this system today
C. Formal currency union with a single currency- In this reality we assume that Greece doesn't want to rename her currency. Therefore, all of Europe adopted the Drachma, rather thsn the Euro. It will take some mental gymnastics to make that happen, but it's the only way it will work. Alternatively, and I assume this is the case in parts of Africa and Polynesia. "We were all French colonies and all use our own "francs". Let's ditch our individual francs, and create a new super franc". In this scenario, we assume that all of the NPCs in the cureency union already coincidently shared a currency name. They just reissue their cureency using the same name.
All the nations within @@NAME@@'s currency union would exclusively be NPCs.
Do you think this would work? If so, who would like to co-author the first issue with me.
I belive that there are far, far, far too many coumtries and no-countries (E.G. Hong Kong) IRL in some form of currency union, far too many for NationStates to justify ignoring the issue. And that's after I intentionally omitted non-autonomous external territories, such as Christmas Island and Peurto Rico.
What do you guys think

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:20 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I once tried to write a chain issue about a currency union, but it was riddled with problems. However, I would like to see issues about a currency union within the game. This time, I was thinking of writing a single issue which triggers/reverses the currency union policy, and then everyone is free to write currency union issues based on that.

Now, when I tried to introduce this big problem with introducing a currency union to NS issues
1. Player autonomy- we can't assume that two players share a currency, and, by extension, we can't assume that one's economy effects another. This can be worked around with a series of currency union specific NPCs. i.e. NPCs specifically created for the sole purpose of sharing a currency with @@NAME@@. I suppose these would go under a different catagory in Jutsa's list of NPCs.

I'd much prefer you just pick some normal NPCs, probably use nicer ones like Brancaland.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:33 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I once tried to write a chain issue about a currency union, but it was riddled with problems. However, I would like to see issues about a currency union within the game. This time, I was thinking of writing a single issue which triggers/reverses the currency union policy, and then everyone is free to write currency union issues based on that.

I'd much prefer you just pick some normal NPCs, probably use nicer ones like Brancaland.

Thanks. I wouldn't do Brancaland though. You'd have to go for one with a less established cannon

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:47 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

Thanks. I wouldn't do Brancaland though. You'd have to go for one with a less established cannon

Maybe use ones that are more known for their products than their politics, like Merovingia. But IRL when countries enter a currency union, it's usually countries that have some other ties besides their currency, so I don't think it makes sense to keep these NPCs separate from the rest of the NPC canon.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:54 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Thanks. I wouldn't do Brancaland though. You'd have to go for one with a less established cannon

Maybe use ones that are more known for their products than their politics, like Merovingia. But IRL when countries enter a currency union, it's usually countries that have some other ties besides their currency, so I don't think it makes sense to keep these NPCs separate from the rest of the NPC canon.

True, okay

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:44 am

USS Monitor wrote:

Looking at the list, the best candidate for this union might be Prudenland. It's only got one issue mentioned, where they are an ally.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 am

Chan Island wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Thanks. I wouldn't do Brancaland though. You'd have to go for one with a less established cannon

Looking at the list, the best candidate for this union might be Prudenland. It's only got one issue mentioned, where they are an ally.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I was thinking of including atleast 3 or 4 in order to make it a bigger issue

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 am

Spelling: Prudenlund. But sure.

I think though if you're planning an issue chain, the first thing to do is to telegram and get at least one editor sold on the premise, as you'll need an editing mentor to walk through all the technicalities of it. A chain is a MUCH bigger proposition than the equivalent number of issues, and it isn't something a player is in a position to design unilaterally.

If you don't get an editor on board at the early stages, you're likely wasting your work.

And just for the record, I've not got any personal interest in being that editor for this chain.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:47 pm

Oh, shucks! It is Prudenlund!

*updates NPC nations list*
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:56 pm

So you know that one issue where you have a choice to ban certain names that are considered 'inappropriate'?

Well I had an idea for an issue that only people who chose to mandate a government-list of names get.

The premise would be a guy named Dick @@randomname@@ IV and how he and his wife just had a son to find that they couldn't name him Dick @@randomname@@ V because of government law. They petition the government to give them the freedom to name their children what they want.

What say you GI?
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:11 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:The premise would be a guy named Dick @@randomname@@ IV and how he and his wife just had a son to find that they couldn't name him Dick @@randomname@@ V because of government law. They petition the government to give them the freedom to name their children what they want.

What say you GI?

I think it'd be a reasonable issue to bring up, but I would probably choose a different name for the simple reason that "Dick" is a nickname for Richard, and wouldn't show up on a birth certificate. I have literally never encountered it as a stand-alone given name. Whether famous people like Dick van Dyke, Dick Cheney, Dick Butkus, and Dick Clark, or everyday folks like my own grandfather Dick, all of them are/were named Richard.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:30 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:So you know that one issue where you have a choice to ban certain names that are considered 'inappropriate'?

Well I had an idea for an issue that only people who chose to mandate a government-list of names get.

The premise would be a guy named Dick @@randomname@@ IV and how he and his wife just had a son to find that they couldn't name him Dick @@randomname@@ V because of government law. They petition the government to give them the freedom to name their children what they want.

What say you GI?

It sounds an rather like "You just made this decision; do you want to... unmake it" to me.

It also sounds rather like it would mirror the premise of #258 where Follicle Rainbow Gooseknob insists she has the freedom to name [expletive deleted] whatever she wants. And, if I'd just received an issue and made a decision, I'm not sure I'd like to receive another issue with a very similar-sounding premise (the name is tamer, but still "naughty" -- also, if Dick were to be banned, it would have a knock-on effect for "Big Love, Big Problems", as that is the name of a character).

While there could be a follow-up for state-mandated names, I'm not sure this is it.

I suggest you look at nations in the real world where they restrict baby naming to government-approved lists, and see if parents have any common complaints.

EDIT: I found this about the hows, whys and huhs of government-restricted baby names for you. Also this, about a family in Denmark, which has very strict naming laws (that actually suggests a good angle; a family with international heritage would like to name their child to honour that ancestry, but it's not on the list...)
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Do we have an issue about whether minority communities can use their ethnic names in nations with naming laws?

Or someone that has a name which is on the approved list, but the wrong gender -- e.g. a boy named Sue?

Or whether immigrants can keep their foreign names, or if they have to adopt a @@DEMONYM@@ name?

I am not calling dibs on these ideas, just throwing them out there. If someone else wants to use them, go for it.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?