NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:04 pm

...Why are they worrying about making the thing in the same shape as a natural eyeball? We already have cameras, and if you just want the thing to look like a real eye for aesthetics' sake, you can hide a small camera inside a fake eyeball.

The challenging part is linking the thing to your nervous system so your brain can actually see through it.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
...Why are they worrying about making the thing in the same shape as a natural eyeball? We already have cameras, and if you just want the thing to look like a real eye for aesthetics' sake, you can hide a small camera inside a fake eyeball.

The challenging part is linking the thing to your nervous system so your brain can actually see through it.

I believe the reason as to why they want it the same shape as a natural eyeball is so that it can fit and adapt into a persons socket much better without any complications. I also heard that there have been methods in which a camera is placed within a fake eye which worked pretty well from what I've heard. They're called electronic eyes and they work very similar to the whole visual prosthesis concept from my understanding. Though what these researchers are going for is trying to create a synthetic eye that not only behaves and functions much like the organic eyes we're born with but also something that gives blind people vision that far surpasses any human

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:37 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:I think this has a lot of potential.

Awh, really? :blush:

I'll go ahead and stick those ideas over in my ideas list then.
Found out from FuF that 475.2 would also give such a flag should one exist, so we've got at least three options for it. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:27 am

Trotterdam wrote:Don't take primitiveness too seriously - mostly it means "industrially-underdeveloped nation that needs to import its cell phones rather than manufacture them locally" or "nation where people hitch their cars to horses because fuel is too expensive for everyday use", not "nation where people have never even heard of electricity". People in a primitive nation often use primitive tools because more advanced ones are hard to come by, but they have heard of them and can get their hands on a few when it's really important. (Unless certain technologies are outright banned, which does happen in some issues, but even then you'd still be aware of their existence and actively shunning them.)

Also keep in mind that you are still the leader of a nation - any tribal conflict is either between two tribes that are both still subordinate to your national government (maybe just nominally so, if you're also a lawless anarchy), or they represent invasion by another nation (which would imply another similarly-primitive nation near you, although that makes sense - first-world and third-world nations tend to cluster geographically in real life). You can't write it from a purely "our tribe versus their tribe" context without regard for international politics - you don't get to ignore that this game is called NationStates just because you're primitive.

Hi again.
I take your point about a tribe not representing a nation, but that can be tweaked to work. On the WA census for primitiveness, it says "Nations were ranked by World Census officials based on the number of natural phenomena attributed to the unknowable will of animal-based spirit gods." This seems rather primitive, and more inline with what I thought it meant, than the example you provide. I'm sure there will be nations like that somewhere, and I'm not sure why I can't write an issue with a very primitive requirement.

Sorry to be a pain, and thanks.
Last edited by Mzeusia on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 am

Is there an issue in the database that says that @@NAME@@'s Supreme Court Justices serve a lifetime appointment? Would it be safe to assume that the Justices do serve lifetime appointments or is that too much?
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 am

Sacara wrote:Is there an issue in the database that says that @@NAME@@'s Supreme Court Justices serve a lifetime appointment? Would it be safe to assume that the Justices do serve lifetime appointments or is that too much?

I think it would be unassumptive to say that they serve for a long time, but assumptive to state a particular mechanism for this (that is, for life, for example).

I'd note also that there's already an issue about selecting a new supreme court judge.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think it would be unassumptive to say that they serve for a long time, but assumptive to state a particular mechanism for this (that is, for life, for example).

I'd note also that there's already an issue about selecting a new supreme court judge.
Okay. I was thinking something along the lines of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, about a Justice refusing to step down even if they are in bad health.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm

So, has there been an issue about a clinically brain dead woman being pregnant?

Based on German news from 1992, which seems like long ago, but it is actually closer to the founding date of NS than today is.

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-13679986.html

Her other bodily functions were kept alive for a while, because of pregnancy.
the foetus/embry did not survive in the end
The Blaatschapen should resign

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:22 am

Does anyone have an idea about how I could make this an issue:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-46944912

The concept is priceless but I need a way to turn it into an issue :blink:
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 am

The blAAtschApen wrote:So, has there been an issue about a clinically brain dead woman being pregnant?

Based on German news from 1992, which seems like long ago, but it is actually closer to the founding date of NS than today is.

We don't have an issue like that (I also don't think it's too long ago -- I wrote an issue based around the first IVF baby reaching majority; IRL that would've been about 1996). It's worth being aware of "Still Life" (which asks about keeping a woman alive in a persistent vegetative state, but sans foetus).

There are several really interesting possible angles here, it seems. Co-opting a woman's body and maintaining artificial life -- for five months, in the original case -- for the sole purpose of giving birth to a foetus with only a 50-50 chance of survival, for example.

In one case mentiomned in the article, the father wanted the foetus' mother's body maintained, while her parents wanted life-support turning off. While this is very similar to Still Life, maybe there's an argument that the mother did not plan to keep the foetus and that co-opting her body would be against her known wishes?

Another angle could look at the nature of the experiment itself. Some critics, including one psychologist, was concerned that the foetus would have problems caused not by feeling his mother's movements, and accused the clinic of "ruthlessly experimenting" with the foetus' future, especially considering the early gestation period.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Does anyone have an idea about how I could make this an issue:

I'm not sure I personally find it priceless (different sense of humour, I think), but still... The concept's written in the article I think. The sale was pulled due to eBay's policy of not permitting anyone to sell things that seek to profit on human suffering or tragedy.

Surely that suggests an angle?
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:24 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:So, has there been an issue about a clinically brain dead woman being pregnant?

We don't have an issue like that (I also don't think it's too long ago -- I wrote an issue based around the first IVF baby reaching majority; IRL that would've been about 1996). It's worth being aware of "Still Life" (which asks about keeping a woman alive in a persistent vegetative state, but sans foetus).

There are several really interesting possible angles here, it seems. Co-opting a woman's body and maintaining artificial life -- for five months, in the original case -- for the sole purpose of giving birth to a foetus with only a 50-50 chance of survival, for example.

In one case mentiomned in the article, the father wanted the foetus' mother's body maintained, while her parents wanted life-support turning off. While this is very similar to Still Life, maybe there's an argument that the mother did not plan to keep the foetus and that co-opting her body would be against her known wishes?

Another angle could look at the nature of the experiment itself. Some critics, including one psychologist, was concerned that the foetus would have problems caused not by feeling his mother's movements, and accused the clinic of "ruthlessly experimenting" with the foetus' future, especially considering the early gestation period.

I'll ponder about it for a bit. If anyone feels extremely motivated to make an issue out of it, they're welcome to do so :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:59 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Some critics, including one psychologist, was concerned that the foetus would have problems caused not by feeling his mother's movements, and accused the clinic of "ruthlessly experimenting" with the foetus' future, especially considering the early gestation period.
I find it interesting that the same people who think a fetus is sufficiently mentally active to be psychologically affected by its mother's movements, are also the people who think a fetus is okay to kill due to not really being a person.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Does anyone have an idea about how I could make this an issue:

I'm not sure I personally find it priceless (different sense of humour, I think), but still... The concept's written in the article I think. The sale was pulled due to eBay's policy of not permitting anyone to sell things that seek to profit on human suffering or tragedy.

I could try it. It seems good to me, but I want your opinion on whether it might actually turn out well, or is worth the effort.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I'm not sure I personally find it priceless (different sense of humour, I think), but still... The concept's written in the article I think. The sale was pulled due to eBay's policy of not permitting anyone to sell things that seek to profit on human suffering or tragedy.

I could try it. It seems good to me, but I want your opinion on whether it might actually turn out well, or is worth the effort.

An ecommerce company refusing to sell things that profit on human suffering/tragedy could be an interesting issue, depending on how it was framed.

I suggest you downplay the tragedy (similar scale to the crash, maybe smaller), because if it was a major tragedy/suffering, that might tip the balance against.

Two angles that suggest themselves: @@LEADER@@'s relative -- I suggest using a relative so it impacts @@LEADER@@ -- has been in an incident (similar to the crash) and discovers memorabilia being sold online. They want it removed, but there is no policy (that would be option one), or @@LEADER@@'s relative is trying to profit from a small-scale tragedy by selling memorabilia; the ecommerce site removes it due to a new policy and they want the policy removed (again, that's option one).

You may have another angle in mind.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:I could try it. It seems good to me, but I want your opinion on whether it might actually turn out well, or is worth the effort.

An ecommerce company refusing to sell things that profit on human suffering/tragedy could be an interesting issue, depending on how it was framed.

I suggest you downplay the tragedy (similar scale to the crash, maybe smaller), because if it was a major tragedy/suffering, that might tip the balance against.

Two angles that suggest themselves: @@LEADER@@'s relative -- I suggest using a relative so it impacts @@LEADER@@ -- has been in an incident (similar to the crash) and discovers memorabilia being sold online. They want it removed, but there is no policy (that would be option one), or @@LEADER@@'s relative is trying to profit from a small-scale tragedy by selling memorabilia; the ecommerce site removes it due to a new policy and they want the policy removed (again, that's option one).

I like it! I think I will go with the first premise you suggested!

Am I go for the idea?
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:An ecommerce company refusing to sell things that profit on human suffering/tragedy could be an interesting issue, depending on how it was framed.

I like it! I think I will go with the first premise you suggested!

Am I go for the idea?

Of course. Feel free to start drafting it in GI anytime you like.

I can't think of any other issue about what products may be sold over the internet.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 am

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:I like it! I think I will go with the first premise you suggested!

Am I go for the idea?

Of course. Feel free to start drafting it in GI anytime you like.

I can't think of any other issue about what products may be sold over the internet.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=458520

The first draft is up!
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Are there any issues about political apathy?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about political apathy?
#220 Voter Apathy Rising But No One Cares
#182 Younger Voters a Cure for Apathy?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about political apathy?
#220 Voter Apathy Rising But No One Cares
#182 Younger Voters a Cure for Apathy?

Thanks. What about political ignorance?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Thanks. What about political ignorance?
#144 being what you mean?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Thanks. What about political ignorance?
#144 being what you mean?

That's it. Thanks!

Gagium
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gagium » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:48 pm

I think something sort of similar to what you’re describing actually happened around a month ago, where the fetus ended up surviving (And is still alive, I think)

https://www.azfamily.com/news/investiga ... 69faf.html
E

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Any issues about joke political parties/candidates?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:42 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Any issues about joke political parties/candidates?
#872 Party On, @@LEADER@@!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?