NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 am

I'd not mind taking a wack at it, although frankly I've already submitted a couple drafts about devolution and corruption... ;)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Has anyone tackled an issue that dealt with the morality of issues? I have a good title: A Kantian Conundrum.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 pm

New Ladavia wrote:Has anyone tackled an issue that dealt with the morality of issues? I have a good title: A Kantian Conundrum.

I don't understand what the premise would be.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:25 am

New Ladavia wrote:Has anyone tackled an issue that dealt with the morality of issues? I have a good title: A Kantian Conundrum.

Write up an outline. I'm all for a Kantian Conundrum, but I'll have to see what you have in mind.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 am

Do we still have that issue option that proposes launching garbage into space? :?
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 am

Jutsa wrote:Do we still have that issue option that proposes launching garbage into space? :?

Think so. Were you considering a follow-up?
Last edited by USS Monitor on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 am

Found it. :lol:

I thought that'd be a good option to have a followup on, since it seems like a "super awesome environmental high-tech solution"
and though expense is somewhat acknowledged in option 2 (idk if it's reflected in stats), it doesn't take into account
the possibilities of things going wrong, like, the methane making everything explode and you end up with a disaster on your hands.
Plus idk how much environmental damage is considered from the rockets themselves but still, I think that "boom-boom" thing could be the makings of an issue. :P

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Jutsa wrote:Found it. :lol:

I thought that'd be a good option to have a followup on, since it seems like a "super awesome environmental high-tech solution"
and though expense is somewhat acknowledged in option 2 (idk if it's reflected in stats), it doesn't take into account
the possibilities of things going wrong, like, the methane making everything explode and you end up with a disaster on your hands.
Plus idk how much environmental damage is considered from the rockets themselves but still, I think that "boom-boom" thing could be the makings of an issue. :P

It wouldn't be very eco-friendly at all because of the fuel that you burn to manufacture and launch the rockets.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Jutsa wrote:Found it. :lol:

The real downside of that approach is how absurdly expensive spacecraft are. You're probably creating more junk building and launching them than they're capable of carrying, not to mention all the fossil fuels you're burning.

It's kind of like cleaning your house by cataloguing all your specks of dust, wrapping them individually in plastic bags, and taking them one by one a garbage dump several cities over.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Can I just stress how strange it is that option's not only in the game, but is option 1 of that issue? :P

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:53 pm

Jutsa wrote:Can I just stress how strange it is that option's not only in the game, but is option 1 of that issue? :P
...Which is why I tend to dismiss that issue.

My point is, don't worry about the shuttle launches going wrong. Worry about what they're costing you when they're going right. The occasional catastrophic mishap will be statistically insignificant by comparison.

(Of course, newspapers love to capitalize on rare but sensational mishaps over humdrum problems that happen all the time, so they can still affect public perception and thus policy.)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Oh yah, also, have we any issue options that prohibit the homeless/poor from voting?
edit: for that matter, if slaves can vote? :P
edit2: come to think about it, AI as well? :?
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:33 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

mostly on the universal law wheres everything @@LEADER@@ does is law. For instance, if @@LEADER@@ randomly smashes a laptop society would all be throwing their laptops on the ground.

@@LEADER@@ says is the new popular game in @@CAPITAL@@

It's just an Idea so I don't know if it has the substance to become an issue.

Another perspective is to just do something that tackles basic morality but keeps the title
Last edited by New Ladavia on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 am

New Ladavia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

mostly on the universal law wheres everything @@LEADER@@ does is law. For instance, if @@LEADER@@ randomly smashes a laptop society would all be throwing their laptops on the ground.

@@LEADER@@ says is the new popular game in @@CAPITAL@@

It's just an Idea so I don't know if it has the substance to become an issue.

Another perspective is to just do something that tackles basic morality but keeps the title

That might work in an issue where @@LEADER@@ is hailed as divine.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:39 am

Jutsa wrote:Oh yah, also, have we any issue options that prohibit the homeless/poor from voting?

#429: 'No Representation Without Taxation?'
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm

That really only takes votes from the taxpayer and government workers, and not necessarily from those without private property,
but yeah, I suppose we don't need to get too specific. :lol:

Still unsure about slaves though... or AI for that matter. :?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:13 pm

While there have been nations that had both elections and slaves (ranging from ancient Greece and Rome to the first century of the United States), I am pretty sure none of them ever allowed slaves to vote.

AIs would probably be allowed to vote if and only if they are citizens (and the nation is a democracy). I guess you could recognize their citizenship while still making them second-class citizens, but the argument for doing such a thing is weak. Maybe because AIs can copy themselves more easily and so create biased voting blocs?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Hey, you know how ISIS destroyed historic sites that they thought were too un-Islamic? Are there any issues about something like that, but written from the point of view of the religious fundamentalists?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:20 am

Was hardly just ISIS that's done that; but yeah, that could be kinda interesting.
I was thinking about doing something kinda like that myself, but I never really went anywhere with it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:22 am

Maybe because AIs can copy themselves more easily and so create biased voting blocs?
*Makes En Bloc for animals voting* Hrng

Seriously though this is an awesome idea. :rofl:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 am

have you seen your brother round here? I have a... uh... delivery for him.
I just realized this... :rofl:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Hey, which issue options in @@CAPITAL@@gate specifically introduce McCarthyism? I'd like to know just how intense the decision would have to be before that'd be in place... :P

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Jutsa wrote:Hey, which issue options in @@CAPITAL@@gate specifically introduce McCarthyism? I'd like to know just how intense the decision would have to be before that'd be in place... :P
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=32549704#p32549704

#790 2 wrote:[option]"Nothing distracts the people more than a good dosage of fear from an even bigger enemy," reminds your Minister of Defense, while quickly leafing through a book entitled Political Corruption For Dummies. "You've read my reports of those pesky East Lebatuckese infiltrating Marche Noire, right? What if we started rumors about something similar happening here? We could claim that the East Lebatuckese have agents in @@NAME@@, and we could even come up with some sort of agency to track them down. People will be so scared they'll turn on each other and forget all about us!"
[effect]the death glare has replaced the handshake as a national greeting

#791 3 wrote:[option]"Hmm... if Maxman seems too much of a goody-goody to be true, he probably is," muses Director of State Security @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving a bug detector wand around your office. "He's almost certainly an East Lebatuckese infiltrator, out to destabilize our fine nation. The reason why there's no evidence is because East Lebatuckese spies are good at covering their tracks. What we need is to set up The Committee On Un@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Activities to assess the loyalty of everyone in @@NAME@@, including journalists and politicians who are a little too critical or annoying."
[effect]paranoia is the new normal

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Huh... ok, so... somehow a McCarthyism trigger would have to be an issue, different from this one, whereby an option that puts fear into the hearts of your members would make sense...

hmmmmmm... hmmmm...
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Democratu
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Adding stats to issues?

Postby Democratu » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 am

Call me a noob but how do I add stats to an issue? I can't seem to find it explained anywhere

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?