NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:29 am

Trotterdam wrote:Related is a story I once read about deaf parents who had a child that was diagnosed with a condition that would cause permanent deathness if not treated in early childhood (but which, if dealt with quickly enough, was perfectly treatable), and chose not to allow the doctors to perform this treatment because they feared it would alienate their child from the "deaf community".

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:But what if they amputate themselves, and then apply for disability benefits?
Even aside from all the other obvious problems with this, I also note that amputating yourself without proper surgical training and equipment is likely to be extremely risky. But I somehow doubt there will be significant support for professional doctors providing amputation-on-request services to prevent botched back-alley operations...

Well, I should have been more specific about this. When I say that transabled people amputate themselves, I don't mean that they grab an axe and chop off their own limbs (though this also occasionally happens). Mostly they go to a surgeon and ask him/her to amputate their unwanted (but perfectly healthy) limb. This request is often rejected, of course. But the transabled person typically doesn't stop there, and they often do things to injure themselves so severely that their limbs would have to be amputated. For example, they can purposely drop a heavy object on their feet to severely crush them and to thereby make an amputation necessary.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 am

I have recently read that you have to pay to call an ambulance in the US.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/39540 ... osts-gains

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/heal ... -bill.html

----------------------------------------

The following passage from the second article linked above is potentially relevant for an issue idea, I think.

Thirty years ago ambulance rides were generally provided free of charge, underwritten by taxpayers as a municipal service or provided by volunteers. Today, like the rest of the health care system in the United States, most ambulance services operate as businesses and contribute to America’s escalating medical bills. Often, they are a high-cost prequel to expensive emergency room visits.

And I believe free ambulance rides are generally the norm in the world, and the US probably stands out in being the only (?) country where people have to pay exorbitant amounts to be transferred to a hospital in the case of an emergency.

Do you think I could write an issue about this? And if yes, what should the premise be? Should I start out with a country that has NHS, and then suggest that some people are abusing (?) the system by calling ambulances even for relatively minor injuries, and then suggest privatizing ambulance services as an option?

Or, conversely, should I start with the validity that @@NAME@@ is a very capitalistic country, and then point out that even severely injured people are unwilling to call ambulances because they don't have any money, and build the issue on this problem?

What do you think?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:56 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I have recently read that you have to pay to call an ambulance in the US.

The following passage from the second article linked above is potentially relevant for an issue idea, I think.

Thirty years ago ambulance rides were generally provided free of charge, underwritten by taxpayers as a municipal service or provided by volunteers. Today, like the rest of the health care system in the United States, most ambulance services operate as businesses and contribute to America’s escalating medical bills. Often, they are a high-cost prequel to expensive emergency room visits.

And I believe free ambulance rides are generally the norm in the world, and the US probably stands out in being the only (?) country where people have to pay exorbitant amounts to be transferred to a hospital in the case of an emergency.

Do you think I could write an issue about this? And if yes, what should the premise be? Should I start out with a country that has NHS, and then suggest that some people are abusing (?) the system by calling ambulances even for relatively minor injuries, and then suggest privatizing ambulance services as an option?

Or, conversely, should I start with the validity that @@NAME@@ is a very capitalistic country, and then point out that even severely injured people are unwilling to call ambulances because they don't have any money, and build the issue on this problem?

What do you think?

I'm not sure if the USA is the only country in the world where ambulances aren't free. I do believe ambulances are largely free in Europe, even if healthcare is partly insurance-funded in some countries.

I do think making it an option, rather than an issue might be less assumptive. A recurring thing in the UK is that people have called ambulances for non-emergencies -- or even things that aren't health problems -- (one woman/man, I remember hearing, called an ambulance claiming they were ill then hopped out at the hospital, said they felt fine and went off into town -- the ambulance was in town, and they didn't want to get the bus or call a taxi).

OTOH, that could have overlap with existing issues about the usage of emergency vehicles (#1022, I think). Although, if it was only for countries with an NHS and only about ambulances, that might minimise potential overlap.

I do wonder if saying that patients have to pay for ambulances might be more assumptive, even for capitalist countries. As many countries are capitalist, but do have funding for emergency ambulances (if not healthcare), either through taxes or charitable endeavour).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:08 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I have recently read that you have to pay to call an ambulance in the US.

What do you think?

I'm not sure if the USA is the only country in the world where ambulances aren't free. I do believe ambulances are largely free in Europe, even if healthcare is partly insurance-funded in some countries.

I do think making it an option, rather than an issue might be less assumptive. A recurring thing in the UK is that people have called ambulances for non-emergencies -- or even things that aren't health problems -- (one woman/man, I remember hearing, called an ambulance claiming they were ill then hopped out at the hospital, said they felt fine and went off into town -- the ambulance was in town, and they didn't want to get the bus or call a taxi).

OTOH, that could have overlap with existing issues about the usage of emergency vehicles (#1022, I think). Although, if it was only for countries with an NHS and only about ambulances, that might minimise potential overlap.

I do wonder if saying that patients have to pay for ambulances might be more assumptive, even for capitalist countries. As many countries are capitalist, but do have funding for emergency ambulances (if not healthcare), either through taxes or charitable endeavour).

You are right! I had forgotten about #1022.

OK, if it is not enough to say that the country is capitalist, may I ask if there is a policy that is the exact opposite of the NHS policy in the NS, e.g., a Privatized Healthcare policy? I guess this is what I am looking for.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:22 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I'm not sure if the USA is the only country in the world where ambulances aren't free. I do believe ambulances are largely free in Europe, even if healthcare is partly insurance-funded in some countries.

You are right! I had forgotten about #1022.

OK, if it is not enough to say that the country is capitalist, may I ask if there is a policy that is the exact opposite of the NHS policy in the NS, e.g., a Privatized Healthcare policy? I guess this is what I am looking for.

Good question. The answer is no, we have no privatised healthcare policy. Generic privatised healthcare is assumed in the absence of an NHS.

That's not to say that we can't add such a policy, if we get a strong narrative that demands it.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:30 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Well, I should have been more specific about this. When I say that transabled people amputate themselves, I don't mean that they grab an axe and chop off their own limbs (though this also occasionally happens). Mostly they go to a surgeon and ask him/her to amputate their unwanted (but perfectly healthy) limb. This request is often rejected, of course. But the transabled person typically doesn't stop there, and they often do things to injure themselves so severely that their limbs would have to be amputated. For example, they can purposely drop a heavy object on their feet to severely crush them and to thereby make an amputation necessary.
Well, I think what I said still holds there. If it were easier to find a doctor who will agree to perform amputations when requested, fewer people would cause themselves deliberate injury in medically-unsound ways, reducing the risks of complications turning out to be worse than expected (like, say, bleeding out from the deliberately-crushed foot before you can make it to the hospital, or an infected wound catching a disease that spreads through your bloodstream to the rest of your body and can no longer be fixed by amputating the original source).

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:And I believe free ambulance rides are generally the norm in the world, and the US probably stands out in being the only (?) country where people have to pay exorbitant amounts to be transferred to a hospital in the case of an emergency.
I was under the impression that the norm was for ambulances to be free (or else paid by health insurance if you have it) in the case of legitimate emergencies, but that you could be charged for calling an ambulance frivolously.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Is there an issue about keeping dangerous breeds of dogs (e.g., pitbulls) as pets?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there an issue about keeping dangerous breeds of dogs (e.g., pitbulls) as pets?
No, although there is an issue about dangerous pets in general (#133), so you'd have to worry about overlap there.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:10 pm

I am not sure which would be the better assumption, Canada has nationalized healthcare but in every province you will pay an ambulance fee (in some a higher one if it is deamed unnecessary)

Maybe you could either go at it from a “It is free but many people are abusing the system, we should institute fees to discourage missuse” if the issue is for a country with high health spending, or maybe for one with lower health spending have ambulances be expensive enough there was some major accident due to someone trying to drive themselves to emergency? Could be the reason the issue came to you if the accident impacted @@LEADER@@ due to traffic. So the first option would be making it free so people are more willing to call ambulances not trying to avoid the fee.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:11 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there an issue about keeping dangerous breeds of dogs (e.g., pitbulls) as pets?

Ack! *Sirens turn on for the myth detector*
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 am

Trotterdam wrote:
No, although there is an issue about dangerous pets in general (#133), so you'd have to worry about overlap there.

It's a shame, because an issue specifically about dogs would have been able to address the RL issue more interestingly, in my opinion. However I'd agree strong potential for overlap probably stops most "dangerous dog" issues.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Varola
Secretary

Founded: Oct 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Varola » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:05 am

Are there any issues regarding imports for @@NATION@@, specifically weapon imports for the military?

I’ve been writing a draft for an issue and I’d like to know if such an issue exists before posting the draft.
Last edited by Varola on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
~-~-~-~ The Imperial Varolan Empire's Signature is undergoing construction ~-~-~-~
W

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:23 am

Varola wrote:Are there any issues regarding imports for @@NATION@@, specifically weapon imports for the military?
#578.

Varola
Secretary

Founded: Oct 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Varola » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:27 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Varola wrote:Are there any issues regarding imports for @@NATION@@, specifically weapon imports for the military?
#578.

I don’t think my idea would conflict with that issue. In fact, I believe it to be the complete opposite of what that particular issue talks about.
~-~-~-~ The Imperial Varolan Empire's Signature is undergoing construction ~-~-~-~
W

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:32 am

#854 option 3 also mentions weapon imports, though in a very specific context that is even less likely to overlap with what you're thinking of.

If you think neither of those overlap with the issue you want to write, then go for it.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:03 am

TIL that you can plant the commercially available poppy seeds (which are usually sprinkled over bagels or some other pastries) and grow poppies.

Well, I am pretty sure that it is illegal to have your own poppy field in Turkey, unless you have been given a special license. But I am thinking what would happen if I tried to grow a couple of stalks of poppy in a flower pot, for instance. (Not that I am planning to do anything like that.) But what I find interesting is that the government would have a hard time banning poppy seeds, because other than the hypothetical crackpot who wants to use them to grow poppies, they are mostly used for culinary purposes. So should we ban them? Or should we allow them, taking the risk that someone may illegally grow poppies by planting those seeds, and then make drugs?

If there are ornamental plants etc. that people keep in their homes but that also have psychoactive effects, I guess the same applies to them.

Anyway, do you think it would be too silly to write an issue for nations that have banned all sorts of drugs, with the premise that some people are growing their own poppies with poppy seeds?
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:23 am

Pogaria wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:When I was planning a vacation for later this summer, I looked at a variety of possible destinations, and I discovered that Bhutan has a very unusual way of handling tourism. You have to book a tour through an authorized tour company, and then you pay a daily rate that covers accommodations, food, and logistics. It's very organized. Also a little control-freak-ish. Unlike North Korea, which is the only other country I can think of that is this level of control freak, Bhutan seems to actually want tourism -- they just want it on their own terms.

I'd love to go to Bhutan. The $250/day fee pays for almost everything, so it's not that bad. I suppose it is a rather effective method to prevent your country from being overrun by mobs of tourists.

China has a thing where tourists are only allowed to stay at certain hotels, but they don't insist on organizing everything for you the way Bhutan does. They actually did not have this when I lived in China, but they brought it back in recent years.

Really? I wasn't aware of any such restrictions, although I have a business visa, which might not have those restrictions.

Depending on how you book your hotel, they might already be filtered to only list ones that are authorized to have foreign guests.

However, if you use Chinese sites or just walk into a random hotel, you may hit one that is not authorized. It happened to my family when I took my parents to Shijiazhuang to show them my old neighborhood.

When I actually lived in China, I would sometimes stay at hotels that were just not up to Western standards. The tourist info people would never tell you about these places, but you were still allowed to stay in them if you found them on your own. The tourist info desk in Guilin told me there was nowhere to stay in Longsheng, but I went and stayed there anyway and had a hilarious experience with a handful of spare change and some locals that had never seen American money. The room was gross and the floors were all fucked up, but it was cheap, the breakfast was good, the lady that ran the place was nice, and the neighbors were funny as hell when they got so excited about my American coins. Totally worth it. Now instead of just steering you away from places like that, they actually make it illegal.

I don't know if the rules are different for business visas.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:28 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:TIL that you can plant the commercially available poppy seeds (which are usually sprinkled over bagels or some other pastries) and grow poppies.

Well, I am pretty sure that it is illegal to have your own poppy field in Turkey, unless you have been given a special license. But I am thinking what would happen if I tried to grow a couple of stalks of poppy in a flower pot, for instance. (Not that I am planning to do anything like that.) But what I find interesting is that the government would have a hard time banning poppy seeds, because other than the hypothetical crackpot who wants to use them to grow poppies, they are mostly used for culinary purposes. So should we ban them? Or should we allow them, taking the risk that someone may illegally grow poppies by planting those seeds, and then make drugs?

If there are ornamental plants etc. that people keep in their homes but that also have psychoactive effects, I guess the same applies to them.

Anyway, do you think it would be too silly to write an issue for nations that have banned all sorts of drugs, with the premise that some people are growing their own poppies with poppy seeds?

Medicinal herbs could easily work.

Doesn't even have to be psychoactive drugs. Women growing tansy and pennyroyal in their gardens to circumnavigate an abortion ban (used to be truth in television, FWIW) could be another idea.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:TIL that you can plant the commercially available poppy seeds (which are usually sprinkled over bagels or some other pastries) and grow poppies.

Medicinal herbs could easily work.

Doesn't even have to be psychoactive drugs. Women growing tansy and pennyroyal in their gardens to circumnavigate an abortion ban (used to be truth in television, FWIW) could be another idea.

Hmm... that's also a good idea.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:07 pm

It's been a while, but I have been contemplating a FIFA-related issue and the Qatar bribery scandals. Yes it's quite old, but paying attention to the World Cup has made me very interested in the footballing world.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:It's been a while, but I have been contemplating a FIFA-related issue and the Qatar bribery scandals. Yes it's quite old, but paying attention to the World Cup has made me very interested in the footballing world.

If the story still interests you in spite of being old, that's probably a good sign that an issue will stand the test of time.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:26 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:It's been a while, but I have been contemplating a FIFA-related issue and the Qatar bribery scandals. Yes it's quite old, but paying attention to the World Cup has made me very interested in the footballing world.

If the story still interests you in spite of being old, that's probably a good sign that an issue will stand the test of time.

Yep. The allegations will taint FIFA for a while and when 2022 comes the coverage will just resurface.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 am

Any issues about siesta (after noon naps)?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Any issues about siesta (after noon naps)?

Haha, no :)

What a funny idea, though...

Go with it, Aussie!

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:08 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Any issues about siesta (after noon naps)?

Haha, no :)

What a funny idea, though...

Go with it, Aussie!

Thanks!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?