NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:14 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Do you think an issue on how the wives and children of fundamentalist terrorists should be treated would be viable?
#973.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:19 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Do you think an issue on how the wives and children of fundamentalist terrorists should be treated would be viable?
#973.

I don't think that shuts down the topic.

I think what FuF is talking about is the family members of known terrorists who are themselves not under suspicion, and who reside in @@NAME@@.

That's a good dilemma, though a hard one to make funny.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:23 am

Trotterdam wrote:
#973.

I'm not sure -- and FuF, please correct me if I'm wrong -- that that's what she was getting at.

#973 is a moral dilemma: shoot a known terrorist knowing his children are in the way and liable to be hit.

I thought what FuF was proposing was nearer to, someone's spouse has been convicted of terrorism charges, but they are presumed innocent. Does @@NAME@@ assume that they must have known what their spouse was up to, or not?

If so, I don't think we have an issue like that.

EDIT: Ninja'd. As CWA says, it would be a toughie to make funny, but definitely go for it if you've got an idea.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:54 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:#973.

I'm not sure -- and FuF, please correct me if I'm wrong -- that that's what she was getting at.

#973 is a moral dilemma: shoot a known terrorist knowing his children are in the way and liable to be hit.

I thought what FuF was proposing was nearer to, someone's spouse has been convicted of terrorism charges, but they are presumed innocent. Does @@NAME@@ assume that they must have known what their spouse was up to, or not?

If so, I don't think we have an issue like that.

EDIT: Ninja'd. As CWA says, it would be a toughie to make funny, but definitely go for it if you've got an idea.

Yup, that's what I meant - like the wives of the men who were known to have connections to ISIS or similar terrorist groups, and who are either dead now or have been convicted and are now in jail. In either case, after their husbands/partners end up dead or convicted, these women and children want to be re-integrated into the society. Now, children are another matter, but it is often the case that the women have willingly started a relationship with their partners, even though they knew about their terrorist activities, and even actively supported them. They only repented later, after losing the "privileges" they had acquired when they were "cogs in the machine." Now, what?

Also, it is possible that there are also women who have been abducted and forcefully wed to a terrorist - so the issue is more complex.

I agree that it is hard to make this humorous, but I can give it a try.

Thank you! :)
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Also, it is possible that there are also women who have been abducted and forcefully wed to a terrorist - so the issue is more complex.
The problem here is that it's "more complex" in a way that justifies treating each case differently, rather than having a one-size-fits-all attitude towards all terrostists' wives. I figure that's something for the courts (or lynch mobs, where appropiate) to figure out, not the central government.

The issue I linked offers a much better justification than most about why you might consider punishing these people even though they are "not under suspicion" / "presumed innocent".

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Also, it is possible that there are also women who have been abducted and forcefully wed to a terrorist - so the issue is more complex.
The problem here is that it's "more complex" in a way that justifies treating each case differently, rather than having a one-size-fits-all attitude towards all terrostists' wives. I figure that's something for the courts (or lynch mobs, where appropiate) to figure out, not the central government.

The issue I linked offers a much better justification than most about why you might consider punishing these people even though they are "not under suspicion" / "presumed innocent".

Issue #973 is not about whether or not to actively punish children for their parents' crimes. It's about whether children are acceptable collateral damage in the fight against terrorism.

I'd consider that to be a different question.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Varola
Secretary

Founded: Oct 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Varola » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:47 am

Are there any issues that acknowledge they break the fourth-wall?
~-~-~-~ The Imperial Varolan Empire's Signature is undergoing construction ~-~-~-~
W

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:08 am

Varola wrote:Are there any issues that acknowledge they break the fourth-wall?

Easter Egg issues sometimes do. #77 and #266 are examples.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 am

511.1 literally leans on the fourth wall.

Kozmix
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kozmix » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 am

Are there issues on gene editing or something of that variety?
Citizen of 10000 Islands, Fort Triumph and The Rejected Realms
10000 Islands
Knight of TITO
Senator
Deputy Regional Reserve Chairman
The Rejected Realms
Guest Editorial Assistant for The Rejected Times
Author of SC #260
Nominated for WASC Award and Ananke Award, Defender Awards 2018

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:42 am

Kozmix wrote:Are there issues on gene editing or something of that variety?
#183 Buy A Better Baby?
#499 The Genetics Of Aesthetics
#553 Cede Our Seeds?
#627 The Bee-Ginning Of A Catastrophe? (from #441 3/4)
#671 Adenine, Thymine, Copyright, And Guanine
#1003 That Smarts
Some of these are more about gene selection than editing, or are only about non-humans, but the general topic has at least been touched on before.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:12 pm

Are there any issues about which bathroom/changeroom transgender people should use (i.e. male/female)?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:28 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about which bathroom/changeroom transgender people should use (i.e. male/female)?

Not directly, but it's been referred to before in other issues, and wouldn't make a good new standalone issue for that reason.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about which bathroom/changeroom transgender people should use (i.e. male/female)?

Not directly, but it's been referred to before in other issues, and wouldn't make a good new standalone issue for that reason.

Ok
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:47 am

Is there an issue about the mistreatment of stray animals?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:03 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there an issue about the mistreatment of stray animals?
#431 is about there being too many stray animals, with the implication that this is making life hard on them due to overcrowding. However, there isn't an issue about people deliberately subjecting stray animals to abuse (except for the crazy option(s) on #431).

Varola
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Varola » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:53 am

Is there any issue that talks about elevator music?
Last edited by Varola on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
~-~-~-~ The Imperial Varolan Empire's Signature is undergoing construction ~-~-~-~
W

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 am

Varola wrote:Is there any issue that talks about elevator music?
Not directly. It's brought up as a joke effect line on #42.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Why would it be thr confern of governments?

Varola
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Varola » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:

Why would it be thr confern of governments?

Wouldn't the continued pumping in of elevator music be a waste of expenditure? Besides, maybe the citizens in the nation may petition for the removal of it because of its annoyance to them.
W

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Varola wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why would it be thr confern of governments?

Wouldn't the continued pumping in of elevator music be a waste of expenditure?

Why is that the government's problem?

Njobjlbjlbjlbjkbjoj kobjo jo jiouij ion

What?

esides, maybe the citizens in the nation may petition for the removal of it because of its annoyance to them.

Does anyone besides elevator attendants spend enough time in lifts to warrent a petition?

Varola
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Varola » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is that the government's problem?

If the government removed the sound speakers (or whatever they use to pump music into those metal boxes), they would save up on money. They can then use that money to fund on more important things, like defence, healthcare etc.
What?

This never appeared in my reply to your first query, so I’m assuming that this is either from someone else or that you accidentally typed this in and thought it was from me.
Does anyone besides elevator attendants spend enough time in lifts to warrent a petition?

The existence of skyscrapers warrants your attention, my good man. Those who reside in these skyscrapers, especially those who live on the higher floors, will have to endure the long elevator flights up. In addition, most skyscrapers are usually built for commercial use, so if an office worker were to get out of the elevator into their workplace, their co-workers who work near the elevator would have to put up with listening to music everytime the elevator were to reach their level.
Last edited by Varola on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
W

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 am

Varola wrote:This never appeared in my reply to your first query, so I’m assuming that this is either from someone else or that you accidentally typed this in and thought it was from me.

Distribution of letters suggest Aussie was leaning on the right side of the keyboard without realising.

Which is frankly hilarious.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kozmix
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kozmix » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 am

Do there exist any issues on e-crime, something like the e-mafia, where they threaten to steal your identity completely (e-murder) if you don't give them your money or card information, or something like that? It is a stupid idea, but i think it can be a hilarious issue.
Citizen of 10000 Islands, Fort Triumph and The Rejected Realms
10000 Islands
Knight of TITO
Senator
Deputy Regional Reserve Chairman
The Rejected Realms
Guest Editorial Assistant for The Rejected Times
Author of SC #260
Nominated for WASC Award and Ananke Award, Defender Awards 2018

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 am

Varola wrote:The existence of skyscrapers warrants your attention, my good man. Those who reside in these skyscrapers, especially those who live on the higher floors, will have to endure the long elevator flights up. In addition, most skyscrapers are usually built for commercial use, so if an office worker were to get out of the elevator into their workplace, their co-workers who work near the elevator would have to put up with listening to music everytime the elevator were to reach their level.

Isn't that a matter for the landlord/strata manager?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?