NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Jormengand
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8414
Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 am

It isn't. This should be in the got issues section. I've asked the mods to move it though.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

User avatar
Sedgistan
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 27332
Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:20 am

Merged into the 'Help us fix old issues', where you can see that it's already been reported ;)

User avatar
Jormengand
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8414
Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:22 am

Sedgistan wrote:Merged into the 'Help us fix old issues', where you can see that it's already been reported ;)

Thanks *nods*
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10012
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:42 am

Issue 62, Option 3

"Actually, a lot of depression cases in teens are related to school and all the stress and pressure young people are under to succeed. A greater effort to correct the problem of depression should start there, with more funding so that schools can provide better counseling programs." Comments Dr. Mia Fellow, author of the book "Tomato Soup for the Soul". "That way teens who are depressed can get help even if their parents can't or won't take them to see a psychologist."

This may be nitpicking, but that should say "psychiatrist."

There's a difference between psychology and psychiatry.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7368
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:45 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Issue 62, Option 3

"Actually, a lot of depression cases in teens are related to school and all the stress and pressure young people are under to succeed. A greater effort to correct the problem of depression should start there, with more funding so that schools can provide better counseling programs." Comments Dr. Mia Fellow, author of the book "Tomato Soup for the Soul". "That way teens who are depressed can get help even if their parents can't or won't take them to see a psychologist."

This may be nitpicking, but that should say "psychiatrist."

There's a difference between psychology and psychiatry.


A psychiatrist diagnoses and treats people with a mental illness.

A psychologist, which could be a counselling psychologist, works with people in a therapeutic context.

Both can treat those with mental illness, the difference between the two is that the former generally uses medicine, the latter uses therapy.

Either works, so I'm not inclined to recommend a change.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Weed
Diplomat
 
Posts: 810
Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Weed » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:04 pm

When I answered my issue the update before last I believe it was a part of the National Happenings Event read "(Weed has found 1 Easter Eggs)". Not sure if worth fixing to you but there it is.
Pacifica
A Fun, New, Republican region
A Democratic & Free PACIFICA
Formerly Known as Topid
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7368
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Weed wrote:When I answered my issue the update before last I believe it was a part of the National Happenings Event read "(Weed has found 1 Easter Eggs)". Not sure if worth fixing to you but there it is.


What's there to fix? You found Issue #223 by the looks of it.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Weed
Diplomat
 
Posts: 810
Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Weed » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Weed wrote:When I answered my issue the update before last I believe it was a part of the National Happenings Event read "(Weed has found 1 Easter Eggs)". Not sure if worth fixing to you but there it is.


What's there to fix? You found Issue #223 by the looks of it.

I found 1 Easter Egg, as opposed to 1 Easter Eggs.
Pacifica
A Fun, New, Republican region
A Democratic & Free PACIFICA
Formerly Known as Topid
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7368
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Weed wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:
What's there to fix? You found Issue #223 by the looks of it.

I found 1 Easter Egg, as opposed to 1 Easter Eggs.


Oh, the s.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Squirrelsland
Secretary
 
Posts: 37
Founded: May 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Squirrelsland » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:20 am

I belive this issue has a spelling mistake:

Opposition newspapers have accused the government of abusing its control over the filibuster ban, which it can use to limit the length of legislative debate. You have consulted multiple people in search of solutions.

The Debate
1."Now, now, my friend," smiles the weathiest CEO in the Information Technology industry, reclining in a shady corner, "We simply can't have a few radicals dictate government policy to us. After all, we do know what's best, don't we? First it's this reform, next it's a slew of unproductive economic policies, and then before you know it they're limiting campaign donations. You can see that some issues have no merit, and are simply not worthy of debate. Perhaps we should even halt the debate before such silliness even begins...?" The CEO hands you a wad of Volts. "You agree. Now there's a good leader."

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 11922
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:28 am

Squirrelsland wrote:I belive this issue has a spelling mistake:

Opposition newspapers have accused the government of abusing its control over the filibuster ban, which it can use to limit the length of legislative debate. You have consulted multiple people in search of solutions.

The Debate
1."Now, now, my friend," smiles the weathiest CEO in the Information Technology industry, reclining in a shady corner, "We simply can't have a few radicals dictate government policy to us. After all, we do know what's best, don't we? First it's this reform, next it's a slew of unproductive economic policies, and then before you know it they're limiting campaign donations. You can see that some issues have no merit, and are simply not worthy of debate. Perhaps we should even halt the debate before such silliness even begins...?" The CEO hands you a wad of Volts. "You agree. Now there's a good leader."

Yup, Ballo mentioned that one a page back.
Max: The code changelog says, "Added 'butthole' by mod request"
Lenyo: This dilemma needs an option that Luna would support in RL.

The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name. The unnamable is the eternally real. Naming is the origin of all particular things. Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations. Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source. This source is called darkness. Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10012
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Issue 310, Option 3

"The government, all the way up to Gerard Majella, has used this ban as a way to control parliament," declares Opposition Whip Sue-Ann Singh, speaking from the Floor, "They're perfectly happy to let debates about the most inconsequential of matters rage on for hours, but when it comes to a serious discussion of Gerard Majella's murky ties to prominent members of the Tourism industry or policies genuinely aimed at helping the general public, rather than a select few, the debate comes to a quick close. We must overturn the filibuster ban, post-haste. And I think it is clear to all who suffers from this. That's right, my friends, ladies and gentlemen, casual onlookers, convenient family members, cultural attachés, politically active tourists and constituents, both loyal and traitorous to the greater cause; the people. The people suffer the injustices of a government pandering to its corporate cronies, its oligarchic overlords, its necessary nepotists, if you will. They suffer the delirious - ah - deleterious effects of a government sans filibuster, sans fairness, sans freedom! This ridiculous policy ignores the fact that some things require longer and more serious deliberation - as does, indeed, this very issue. But I am diverging from my abundantly clear point, supported by the voices of a thousand-song crowd outside this very building. And while we might quibble over the numbers - a thousand, I hear you cry? Tens - hundreds! - of thousands, surely? But this ignores the fundamental spirit of the times - zeitgeist, if you will - that we stand against this filibuster ban clearly and unwaveringly. Anyway, a discussion of the genuinely humanitarian policies my party espouses, which require a debate of adequate length for the complexities of which to be fully understood, are quickly relegated as the government trots out its latest quick-fix or vote-snatching policy. Now, to move onto my second point of four-hundred-and-thirty-eight of my first speech - I will, of course, pass over to my comrade on the bench in due course." The security guards by the door notice your discreet signal and step quietly towards the Whip's podium. "Perhaps we should investigate further… excuse me…?" stammers the Whip, as your guards gingerly carry him away. "Ah … yes, thank you for your time."

That should say "suffer."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 23920
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:That should say "suffer."

I told Panageadom and Lenyo (and others) that somebody would read the whole thing, no matter how odious and obnoxiously long we made it. See? Correct as always.

User avatar
Yahadreas
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yahadreas » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:34 am

Issue #0 (I think) - Should democracy be compulsory?

Option 3 says: "This raises an interesting issue," says Sophie Lee, your brother. ..."

Presumably Sophie is my sister?

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 23920
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:56 am

Yahadreas wrote:Presumably Sophie is my sister?

That's a problem you need to raise with your weird parents, not us. :p

Actually, the random names used in issues weren't gender specific.

User avatar
Yahadreas
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yahadreas » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:36 pm

Perhaps he/she could just be my friend rather than a gender-specific sibling?

But then again, it might just be that my parents are weird. I do, after all, have a brother whose middle name(s) is/are "Mark Donald". :lol:

User avatar
Sulla
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Dec 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulla » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Option 1:
"These murderers took away took away our families and our futures", cries Victims of Violence chapter head Hillary Longfellow, holding a black-draped family photo. "The court ordered restitution, but most criminals have no money. These wardens are stealing the only thing of value these criminals still have: their organs! Give surviving family members the remuneration from these sales. It's the very least you can do after all we've suffered."

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7368
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:03 am

Sulla wrote:
Option 1:
"These murderers took away took away our families and our futures", cries Victims of Violence chapter head Hillary Longfellow, holding a black-draped family photo. "The court ordered restitution, but most criminals have no money. These wardens are stealing the only thing of value these criminals still have: their organs! Give surviving family members the remuneration from these sales. It's the very least you can do after all we've suffered."


Maybe that person has a stutter/stammer?!

Also, blame Fris.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Cerberion
Diplomat
 
Posts: 993
Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:22 am

311 also has an issue if the user has set their city to have a "the" in it.

The Issue

A recent article in The the Dog Pound Naysayer has exposed a dirty little secret: prison wardens have been quietly selling the organs from executed criminals and pocketing the proceeds. Enraged citizens, particularly victim's rights organizations, demand retribution.



Perhaps making it something like:
A recent article in The popular tabloid "@@CAPITAL@@ Naysayer" has exposed a dirty little secret: prison wardens have been quietly selling the organs from executed criminals and pocketing the proceeds. Enraged citizens, particularly victim's rights organizations, demand retribution.

Example outputs:
A recent article in The popular tabloid "Casterly Rock Naysayer" has exposed a dirty little secret: prison wardens have been quietly selling the organs from executed criminals and pocketing the proceeds. Enraged citizens, particularly victim's rights organizations, demand retribution.


A recent article in The popular tabloid "The Dog Pound Naysayer" has exposed a dirty little secret: prison wardens have been quietly selling the organs from executed criminals and pocketing the proceeds. Enraged citizens, particularly victim's rights organizations, demand retribution.

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 11922
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:31 pm

If it doesn't match, the player can change it. Drop the 'the' from your custom field. Seems like a simple solution.
Max: The code changelog says, "Added 'butthole' by mod request"
Lenyo: This dilemma needs an option that Luna would support in RL.

The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name. The unnamable is the eternally real. Naming is the origin of all particular things. Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations. Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source. This source is called darkness. Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding

User avatar
Cerberion
Diplomat
 
Posts: 993
Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Luna Amore wrote:If it doesn't match, the player can change it. Drop the 'the' from your custom field. Seems like a simple solution.


How does that make sense? Everywhere else that references the capital city accomodates the string that has been entered into it. You will note on your settings page that all of the custom fields like currency and animal are preceded by the word "the", while the capital is without a "the".

The intention in the code is that it is a free form string and should, therefor, be accomodated into the issues in the same way it is accomodated into the nation overview.

User avatar
Ballotonia
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5347
Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Ballotonia » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Can you name a Real Life city which starts with "The " ?

Ballotonia
"Een volk dat voor tirannen zwicht zal meer dan lijf en goed verliezen, dan dooft het licht…" -- H.M. van Randwijk

User avatar
Sedgistan
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 27332
Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Den Haag? :P

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 11922
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Cerberion wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:If it doesn't match, the player can change it. Drop the 'the' from your custom field. Seems like a simple solution.


How does that make sense? Everywhere else that references the capital city accomodates the string that has been entered into it. You will note on your settings page that all of the custom fields like currency and animal are preceded by the word "the", while the capital is without a "the".

The intention in the code is that it is a free form string and should, therefor, be accomodated into the issues in the same way it is accomodated into the nation overview.

Makes perfect sense. The animal and currency are referencing a specific thing. The 'Infamous Marxist Loon' or the 'pop-top' for example. The capital is referencing a place, such as 'Mare Loon'. It doesn't make sense to add 'the' in front automatically. The example you quoted used the @@CAPITAL@@ to make a newspaper. The @@CAPITAL@@ Naysayer. Given that capitals more often than not don't start with 'the', it's reasonable that the issue wording say the @@CAPITAL@@ Naysayer. In that example, it makes sense to add 'the' because it is a specific paper.

Given that it is a custom field, if it bothers a player that much, they can change it.
Max: The code changelog says, "Added 'butthole' by mod request"
Lenyo: This dilemma needs an option that Luna would support in RL.

The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name. The unnamable is the eternally real. Naming is the origin of all particular things. Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations. Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source. This source is called darkness. Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding

User avatar
Cerberion
Diplomat
 
Posts: 993
Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Den Haag? :P


Perhaps not a capital city, but there are several cities starting with the.

Here are some US instances:
The city- California
The Rocks - Kentucky
The Forks - Maine
The X - Massachusetts
The Holy City - Oklahoma

So, yeah, the in a city name is entirely viable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Friemenn, Osene

Advertisement

Remove ads