NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Evergreen Dreamscapes
Secretary
 
Posts: 29
Founded: Jun 10, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Evergreen Dreamscapes » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:32 pm

issue 678,
Today you’ve had a full schedule: meeting lobbyists who want you to name lunch the most important meal of the day, handshaking and congratulating The Evergreen Dreamscapes’s gold-medal-winning sylph hummingbirdball team, and fielding surprisingly piercing questions from a classroom of carefully selected ten-year-olds. It’s been hard for you to attend to the business of state, much less find any time for yourself. It occurs to you that having a deputy leader to help handle the workload might not be such a bad idea.
, can appear while the "no sports" policy is active
trans girl (it/its or she/her), shrill sjw harpy™, semiïronic anprim

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19438
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:51 am

Fauxia wrote:390.2 talks about spreading democracy and is available for autocratic nations. Why would an autocratic nation want to spread democracy though?


Good point. I'll flag this for Sanctaria's comment, and see what he thinks.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19438
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:18 am

Sanctaria is going to take a look and sort it, cheers.

User avatar
TalAkMaChen
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 119
Founded: Sep 04, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby TalAkMaChen » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:50 am

In 378, option 1.. the @@REGION@@ should be capitalized, no? e.g. "Great The Pacific War" instead of "Great the Pacific War" which looks a bit odd.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7762
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:28 am

Realistically, it would just be Great Pacific War, but the game doesn't have the technology for that.

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7349
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:48 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Fauxia wrote:390.2 talks about spreading democracy and is available for autocratic nations. Why would an autocratic nation want to spread democracy though?


Good point. I'll flag this for Sanctaria's comment, and see what he thinks.

Added a slight doppleganger for autocratic nations.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
The Great Boom
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 111
Founded: Oct 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Boom » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:23 am

The issue "tell me sweet little lies" gives your police the option to beat confessions out of suspects. That's a violation of Prevention of Torture from the GA.
Last edited by The Great Boom on Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19438
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:26 am

The Great Boom wrote:The issue "pretty little lies" gives your police the option to beat confessions out of suspects. That's a violation of Prevention of Torture from the GA.


The Assembly and Issues subgames affect the same stat arrays, but don't overlap mechanically.

Theres a vast number of decisions you can make that go against World Asembly Resolutions, but there's never been any mechanism to force you to adhere to WA resolutions.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7349
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:27 am

The Great Boom wrote:The issue "tell me sweet little lies" gives your police the option to beat confessions out of suspects. That's a violation of Prevention of Torture from the GA.

Not every nation is in the WA, firstly. Of the 6 million nations served, only what 25000 is in the WA?

And secondly, the issues side of the game and the WA side of the game don't talk to each other, technically speaking. WA resolutions don't put any kind of flags on your nation that would prevent it from receiving issues otherwise not valid for that nation.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Perelingo
Secretary
 
Posts: 34
Founded: Aug 15, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Perelingo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:14 am

In #413, "A shot in the arm", option 1, the parent mentions "Big Pharma" and "pharmaceutical companies", while I have the Socialist policy enacted. Now they're quite weird and conspiracy-friendly, but that's still a strange thing for them to say.

By the way...
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The Assembly and Issues subgames affect the same stat arrays, but don't overlap mechanically.

I didn't even know WA suff did have an effect on the stats, how do this work exactly ?
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That is to say, the point has not only been missed, but you've used your crossbow to shoot yourself in the ass.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7762
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:24 am

Perelingo wrote:I didn't even know WA suff did have an effect on the stats, how do this work exactly ?
A WA resolution will cause a small effect on your stats depending on the category and strength of the resolution passed (for example, a Moral Decency resolution will decrease Civil Rights). A repeal resolution will affect your stats in the opposite direction from the original resolution (which can have weird implications if you only joined the WA after the original resolution had passed and thus only ever saw the repeal, since merely joining/leaving the WA does not affect your stats). The actual text of the resolution is completely ignored, only the category and strength matter for the purposes of stats (though of course, you should pick a category and strength that make sense for what your resolution proposal says it's doing, or it'll be thrown out as illegal).

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18547
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:33 am

Trotterdam wrote:A repeal resolution will affect your stats in the opposite direction from the original resolution
But at only half the strength, unless that detail has been changed recently.
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18333
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:33 am

Perelingo wrote:In #413, "A shot in the arm", option 1, the parent mentions "Big Pharma" and "pharmaceutical companies", while I have the Socialist policy enacted. Now they're quite weird and conspiracy-friendly, but that's still a strange thing for them to say.

Companies are a thing even in Socialism. They are state owned of course, but they are still companies nonetheless. Notable ones off the top of my head include Carl Zeiss Jena, Pentacon, RFT, etc.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17226
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pm

999.1- Is this a typo?

Half of my paycheck went to the charity BrasilistanWe last month, but according to the leaked documents,

Or is supposed to say "BrasilistanWe"?

Did you mean "BrasilistanWest?"

It's written again in option 3
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions. This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian. Date of Birth: 1 October 1995
Why stylised as "rePublic"
16 Published Issues and 1 WA resolution
Please sign my petition to help me achieve justice (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18333
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:999.1- Is this a typo?

Half of my paycheck went to the charity BrasilistanWe last month, but according to the leaked documents,

Or is supposed to say "BrasilistanWe"?

Did you mean "BrasilistanWest?"

It's written again in option 3

Isn't it parodying the name of a real life charity?
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19438
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:27 am

Perelingo wrote:In #413, "A shot in the arm", option 1, the parent mentions "Big Pharma" and "pharmaceutical companies", while I have the Socialist policy enacted. Now they're quite weird and conspiracy-friendly, but that's still a strange thing for them to say.


Not really, the speaker is just complaining about those global corporations, rather than corporations operating within the nation. Or they're talking about the shadowy figures in state pharmaceutical manufacture.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 19438
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:32 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Perelingo wrote:I didn't even know WA suff did have an effect on the stats, how do this work exactly ?
A WA resolution will cause a small effect on your stats depending on the category and strength of the resolution passed (for example, a Moral Decency resolution will decrease Civil Rights). A repeal resolution will affect your stats in the opposite direction from the original resolution (which can have weird implications if you only joined the WA after the original resolution had passed and thus only ever saw the repeal, since merely joining/leaving the WA does not affect your stats). The actual text of the resolution is completely ignored, only the category and strength matter for the purposes of stats (though of course, you should pick a category and strength that make sense for what your resolution proposal says it's doing, or it'll be thrown out as illegal).


Right, I've always thought that was weird. However, I suspect that if joining the WA immediately made your nation compliant with all its legislation (with the massive stat shifts that entails) that would put a lot of people off joining.

A couple of years back we had this big negotiation about WA resolution stats, as we were getting WA resolutions of minimal import causing stat changes many many times bigger than much more radical decisions being taken through issues. You could institute slavery in an issue, then be subject to a very mild protection of privacy in the WA, and have a net swing massively towards civil rights.

There was even the idea that resolutions could be tailor-statted, so that they'd actually have effects specific to their decisions, but that was ruled out for combined reasons of practicality and jurisdiction.

We agreed a sizeable revision of the stats changes applied, and agreed a compromise where the a decision in WA is still more significant than the same decision in issues (on the basis that these are one-off occurrences and are more momentous in some way, plus are being enforced by any outside agency) but made them more measured in their magnitude. We also looked at the reversal numbers, and agreed there was a complexity here in what happened to a nation that joined between implementation and reversal. In the end, it was agreed it was always going to be a bit of a fudge.

For now, consider GA and Issues to be two separate subgames that interact in overlapping ways, but which should be treated as having their own separate rules-sets and traditions.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7762
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:32 pm

The macro in the title of #502 should capitalize every word.

User avatar
Pogaria
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 1600
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pogaria » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Trotterdam wrote:The macro in the title of #502 should capitalize every word.

I fixed it.
FYI: Pogaria is pronounced like puh-GAIR-ee-uh

User avatar
Fauxia
Senator
 
Posts: 4015
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Fauxia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 am

1151 spells Tranquility of Yellow with two l’s, which I believe is a non-US spelling. I know that typically issues use the spelling of the author, but since it’s an organization, should it be consistent?
Don’t pick a fight with me, I am proficient with the weapon to which all shall fall in NationStates... inactivity.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7349
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 am

Fauxia wrote:1151 spells Tranquility of Yellow with two l’s, which I believe is a non-US spelling. I know that typically issues use the spelling of the author, but since it’s an organization, should it be consistent?

Americans don't spell Yellow with two l's?
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Candensia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 535
Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Candensia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Fauxia wrote:1151 spells Tranquility of Yellow with two l’s, which I believe is a non-US spelling. I know that typically issues use the spelling of the author, but since it’s an organization, should it be consistent?

Americans don't spell Yellow with two l's?




I, American, spell yellow with two l’s.

Perhaps it’s a regional thing.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7762
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:21 pm

I'm pretty sure Fauxia was talking about the spelling of "Tranquil(l)ity". "Yellow" is spelled with two "l"s on both sides of the pond.

User avatar
Sanctaria
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7349
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I'm pretty sure Fauxia was talking about the spelling of "Tranquil(l)ity". "Yellow" is spelled with two "l"s on both sides of the pond.

I know he was. Buzzkill.

I fixed this like an hour ago btw.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Candensia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 535
Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Candensia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:I'm pretty sure Fauxia was talking about the spelling of "Tranquil(l)ity". "Yellow" is spelled with two "l"s on both sides of the pond.

I know he was. Buzzkill.

I fixed this like an hour ago btw.
Trotterdam wrote:I'm pretty sure Fauxia was talking about the spelling of "Tranquil(l)ity". "Yellow" is spelled with two "l"s on both sides of the pond.


I t-totally knew that too! Indubitably....
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads