NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Here is the description of Issue 798:

Your Science Minister has convinced you to go to a party being thrown by Frieden-und Freudenland’s leading scientists to celebrate the successful synthesises of a new element at Civitas Pacis University. The element itself decays within microseconds, but that hasn’t stopped the party from dragging on for hours. Your attention has finally been sparked as a massive debate over the name of the element has broken out. The situation threatens to become as unstable as the element itself, and people are looking to you for a solution.

It is definitely a noun here. I think it should have been a singular noun: "synthesis."
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:11 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Here is the description of Issue 798:

Your Science Minister has convinced you to go to a party being thrown by Frieden-und Freudenland’s leading scientists to celebrate the successful synthesises of a new element at Civitas Pacis University. The element itself decays within microseconds, but that hasn’t stopped the party from dragging on for hours. Your attention has finally been sparked as a massive debate over the name of the element has broken out. The situation threatens to become as unstable as the element itself, and people are looking to you for a solution.

It is definitely a noun here. I think it should have been a singular noun: "synthesis."

Agreed.
And the plural isn't "synthesises", anyway, it's "syntheses".
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Uh... is issue number 001 supposed to have two mandatory options and no "butt out of it" option? :unsure:

You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Zaluzianskya
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaluzianskya » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Jutsa wrote:Uh... is issue number 001 supposed to have two mandatory options and no "butt out of it" option? :unsure:

The "butt out of it" option would be dismissing it.
She/her. Not an RPer.
Equality of gender/race/ethnicity/etc., disability accommodation, the government staying out of the bedrooms of consenting adult humans, healthcare, freedom of and from religion, recognition of science, reproductive freedom, and also tea-productive freedom
Class disparity, nationalism, forcing your religion (any religion) on others

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:12 am

Jutsa wrote:Uh... is issue number 001 supposed to have two mandatory options and no "butt out of it" option? :unsure:

Did you receive only those two options, or did you get #3 as well?
3. "There's a simple way to boost the marriage rate," says gay rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Abolish those archaic laws that discriminate against same-sex marriages. It's obscene to treat people differently because of their sexual preference. Besides, everyone knows gay relationships are more stable than straight ones."
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 am

Nope, didn't get the third one.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:43 am

As programmers like to say, that's a feature not a bug!
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 am

While, of course, being the second-oldest issue in the game, it did not originally have any option validities, I think it has since been edited so the legalize-gay-marriage option doesn't appear in nations where gay marriage is already legal.

This is understandable, as for nations that approve of gay marriage it would seem like a bit too much of an obviously-correct option (except that realistically it wouldn't continue to boost the marriage rate every time you reaffirm the legality of something that is already legal), although I rather suspect that since this change was made dismissal rates would have gone up, since both other options are crazy (one makes sense from the point of view of certain religions/worldviews/morals, but is pretty extreme by the standards of most modern people, while the other is just ridiculous).

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 am

Huh. Fair enough, I suppose.
It does look weird, but I guess it makes sense. :P

Octavia Melody
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Octavia Melody » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm

In the issue 'Desert Island Risks', option #2 has the line '“Me want you to make this go away, Octavia Melody. Journalists should have no right to publish private financial data of politicians and corporations; it’s a breach of privacy and public trust!...' etc, and so on.

I suspect the 'Me' should likely be 'We", unless this senior partner in this particular law firm has a grasp of proper pronoun use at around the pre-school level? Which while hilarious, is unlikely.
Last edited by Octavia Melody on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:56 pm

It's intentional. Cookies. "Me want".

Think blue and furry.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Issue 342 Option 1 wrote:If we compost, compress, recycle, we can

Is there supposed to be an and after compress,?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Jutsa wrote:Is there supposed to be an and after compress,?
It's compressed.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:02 am

Do you mean "compressed" as in the word is "compressed" and not "compress", to which it certainly is compress,
or do you mean "compressed" as in the phrase is compressed and the word "and" is thrown out the window,
to which I'm unfortunately not familiar with the term?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:16 am

Sorry, I was joking.

"Compost, compress, recycle" sounds like the kind of pithy slogan you'd see on a pro-environmentalist poster / public service announcement. The character is likely reciting the slogan verbatim to give a buzzwordy feel, hence the lack of "and".

I was making a pun that this is linguistically "compressed" in the sense that you're using as few words as possible.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:34 am

Oooooh ok. :lol2:

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks Trotterdam. :blush:

Zaluzianskya
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaluzianskya » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Issue 103:

Angry farmers have taken to the streets demanding the government to act after reported sightings of strange dog-like dogs eating all the crops in fields.

The dog was never meant to mate with a dog!

“We could always just kill off all the dogs,” Freddy Grossman of the “Keep The Species Pure” foundation whispers to you in a conversation. “The dog is one of the many things our country is famous for; any perversion of its image reflects upon us all!
She/her. Not an RPer.
Equality of gender/race/ethnicity/etc., disability accommodation, the government staying out of the bedrooms of consenting adult humans, healthcare, freedom of and from religion, recognition of science, reproductive freedom, and also tea-productive freedom
Class disparity, nationalism, forcing your religion (any religion) on others

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Zaluzianskya wrote:Issue 103:

Angry farmers have taken to the streets demanding the government to act after reported sightings of strange dog-like dogs eating all the crops in fields.

The dog was never meant to mate with a dog!

“We could always just kill off all the dogs,” Freddy Grossman of the “Keep The Species Pure” foundation whispers to you in a conversation. “The dog is one of the many things our country is famous for; any perversion of its image reflects upon us all!

Honestly I don't want to change this because it's silliness is part of what makes NS great and hilarz.
Sorry just looked at the code. Huh. Weird.
You shouldn't get this if your national animal is the dog already. But your nation animal wasn't the dog when you got this. You got this, then changed your national animal to the dog so it would be reflected in the issue custom fields.

We can't fix that. That's you trying to be a smart-ass. The issue is already in your inbox, we can't do anything re validities after that point.
Last edited by Sanctaria on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:30 am

Some issues with #129: (Aside from the run-of-the-mill "Various people have approached you with ideas on how the situation should be dealt with".
I now see why editors can't stand this. :lol2:)
A society of primitive natives have been discovered

Desc: That should be has, yes?
says anthropologist and Star Trek nut, Anne-Marie Chew.

OPT 1: Is the comma necessary in this case?
These people are no better than animals, I say we allow citizens to shoot the lot of them!

OPT 3: I say that comma should be a semicolon. :P
The matter is not what we do to this culture, it is whether

OPT 4: Comma after culture? I'm honestly not as certain about this one.
Except the wood companies o’ course.”

OPT 4: I mean, I imagine it's probably fine. I just wanted to notion that it wasn't a full sentence. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I should also note that "says" is used three times. The last one could have at least used "shouts" or something. :roll:

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 pm

In response to Opt. 1, yes
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:42 pm

I just noticed that #227 uses "East Lebuckte" when every other issue uses "East Lebatuck".

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I just noticed that #227 uses "East Lebuckte" when every other issue uses "East Lebatuck".

Fixed.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 am

newly synthesized elements half-lives are a million times shorter than the time it takes to say their names

~Effect line of issue 798 option 2: There should be an apostrophe after elements. :3

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 am

Ah, good, suspected problems with validities goes here. :lol:

I got issue number 30, which states:
Cheap, foreign-made cars are becoming increasingly popular, causing concern in Jutsa’s automobile manufacturing industry.

I have such a tiny and far-negative-leaning stat that I'm surprised this is actually a problem... :roll:

Am I supposed to be allowed to get this, or not?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 am

Jutsa wrote:
newly synthesized elements half-lives are a million times shorter than the time it takes to say their names

~Effect line of issue 798 option 2: There should be an apostrophe after elements. :3

Fixed
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?