NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Issue 0000 is a bit bias against elderly gun nuts, especially considering that we have issues in favour of said gun nuts

This isn't a thread to suggest subjective narrative changes. It's for objective errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation and suspected errors with macros and validities.

If you think a narrative could be improved somehow, I suggest you first test the water in The Writer's Block. If you find that people agree with you, you might want to start a new thread later. Although the bar for changing the first 30 issues is exceptionally high. Though it has been done, if necessary.

That said, if you mean that one reference in option #2, it should be reiterated that all speakers in options have an internal bias in favour of their own viewpoint. I fail to see why this one option is a problem.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints
Envoy

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:39 pm

#587.3 doesn't imply AI citizenship?

(I suppose it doesn't have to, but I'm still disappointed)

Wrong thread....
Last edited by The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

#231, Malaria

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:44 am

I see that [the recently-modified] #231 still describes malaria explicitly as a "tropical" disease, but that isn't really the case. It used to be endemic at least as far north as southern England (where its names included "the London Ague", or just "the Ague"), within recorded history, until temperatures dropped below the level at which the mosquitoes involved could survive here regularly... and its return is considered a very possible consequence of global warming.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Bears Armed wrote:I see that [the recently-modified] #231 still describes malaria explicitly as a "tropical" disease, but that isn't really the case. It used to be endemic at least as far north as southern England (where its names included "the London Ague", or just "the Ague"), within recorded history, until temperatures dropped below the level at which the mosquitoes involved could survive here regularly... and its return is considered a very possible consequence of global warming.

Sure, that's technically true, though the CDC and WHO describe it as a disease of tropical and subtropical regions it is acknowledged that it is a potential threat in temperate regions, and that it is primarily public health development that keeps it at bay rather than climate. Additionally, the WHO definition of a tropical disease is a disease that thrives in tropical regions, not a disease that is limited to tropical regions. From a UK point of view, the study of malaria is considered a subset of Tropical Medicine, and the NHS describes it as a tropical disease in its online resources.

I think that "tropical disease" is a sufficiently accurate description of its current epidemiology, and of its category as applied in medicine. While the historical contexts and future concernes you mention are valid, it remains a linguistically reasonable description of the condition.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:04 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:I see that [the recently-modified] #231 still describes malaria explicitly as a "tropical" disease, but that isn't really the case. It used to be endemic at least as far north as southern England (where its names included "the London Ague", or just "the Ague"), within recorded history, until temperatures dropped below the level at which the mosquitoes involved could survive here regularly... and its return is considered a very possible consequence of global warming.

Sure, that's technically true, though the CDC and WHO describe it as a disease of tropical and subtropical regions it is acknowledged that it is a potential threat in temperate regions, and that it is primarily public health development that keeps it at bay rather than climate. Additionally, the WHO definition of a tropical disease is a disease that thrives in tropical regions, not a disease that is limited to tropical regions. From a UK point of view, the study of malaria is considered a subset of Tropical Medicine, and the NHS describes it as a tropical disease in its online resources.

I think that "tropical disease" is a sufficiently accurate description of its current epidemiology, and of its category as applied in medicine. While the historical contexts and future concernes you mention are valid, it remains a linguistically reasonable description of the condition.

I'm not sure how many other NS players would actually look to the WHO for definitions, but... okay.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:49 am

I suspect that if you have sufficient interest and knowledge to know whether "tropical disease" is an accurate description of malaria, then you have sufficient interest and knowledge to look to the CDC or WHO. An easier option for a layman would be to trust the local doctor to know these things, which as it turns out, is me.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:10 am

I just got "The End Was Nigh," and I think there are some typos or borked macros affecting the gender of pronouns:

48 hours ago, Lieutenant Colonel Brenda Capulet of the Sherpa Air Defence Force received a nuclear missile detection alert advising him that an ICBM from the hostile nation of Blackacre was inbound for Lukla-Namche. According to military protocol, he should have reported this immediately, which would have led to a nuclear counter-strike. However, she suspected a false alarm, and did not alert anyone of her findings until later. Subsequent investigations showed that the system had actually detected a red balloon.
Last edited by The Sherpa Empire on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:58 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:I just got "The End Was Nigh," and I think there are some typos or borked macros affecting the gender of pronouns:

48 hours ago, Lieutenant Colonel Brenda Capulet of the Sherpa Air Defence Force received a nuclear missile detection alert advising him that an ICBM from the hostile nation of Blackacre was inbound for Lukla-Namche. According to military protocol, he should have reported this immediately, which would have led to a nuclear counter-strike. However, she suspected a false alarm, and did not alert anyone of her findings until later. Subsequent investigations showed that the system had actually detected a red balloon.

Thanks for spotting. Fixed.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Fluffard
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fluffard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:45 am

719.1 should have a comma after the "no".

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 am

Fluffard wrote:719.1 should have a comma after the "no".

Fixed. Thanks.

Feria-Alkaline
Attaché

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feria-Alkaline » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:46 pm

611.1 : She tries to wave a copy of the Feria-Alkaline Defense Regulations Volume 4 at you for emphasis, the sheer bulk of the tome forces her to resort to instead slamming the book onto your desk.

First, wouldn't the nation name be conjugated into the adjective form, not only there but in the description as well? Second, and what I noticed first, was that you need a but or some sort of fix after the word emphasis, because otherwise the sentence is bulky and run-on. Perhaps get rid of the instead instead.

611.3 : Having too many government committees, unnecessary departments, and too many soldiers can only lead to more debacles like this.

More stylistic, but I don't understand why there are two "too many"s... You could cut out the one before soldiers.

Take these with a grain of salt, of course XD
Sincerely, me.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Feria-Alkaline wrote:611.1 : She tries to wave a copy of the Feria-Alkaline Defense Regulations Volume 4 at you for emphasis, the sheer bulk of the tome forces her to resort to instead slamming the book onto your desk.

First, wouldn't the nation name be conjugated into the adjective form, not only there but in the description as well? Second, and what I noticed first, was that you need a but or some sort of fix after the word emphasis, because otherwise the sentence is bulky and run-on. Perhaps get rid of the instead instead.

611.3 : Having too many government committees, unnecessary departments, and too many soldiers can only lead to more debacles like this.

More stylistic, but I don't understand why there are two "too many"s... You could cut out the one before soldiers.

Take these with a grain of salt, of course XD

Thank you for your suggestions. If anything looks objectively wrong with spelling, grammar or macro use, please do raise it.

Unfortunately, we can't alter @@NAME@@, except by making it into the initials, and @@NAME@@ seems to fit better than @@DEMONYN@@ or @@NAMEINITIALS@@ here. With the latter part of the sentence, I think adding a word might make it bulkier, but have changed "the sheer bulk of the tome forces her to resort to instead slamming the book onto your desk" to "the sheer bulk of the tome forcing her to resort to instead slamming the book onto your desk" so that it reads better.

The "too many" change is purely stylistic, and we don't do subjective, stylistic changes on this thread.

Mercuriuseudoro
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercuriuseudoro » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:32 am

Hi.

An issue came up in which I allowed forced marriage of women, and this enabled "slavery" as a policy. This is just factually incorrect. Slavery is an economic policy, forced marriage is women's rights policy. India, for example, has forced marriage, but not widespread slavery. The United States had slavery, but there was not widespread forced marriage of slaves to owners.

This was issue 593. Issue 136 also enables "slavery" when a one child policy in enacted.

This is, again, a reproductive / women's rights issue, and different from the sort of "slavery" that built the pyramids.
Last edited by Mercuriuseudoro on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My nation reflects ideals I would die for. I'm the guy next door.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:56 am

The option reads as follows:

All women should be forced to cover themselves head-to-toe while in public, and should not venture out of the home without permission. They should obey their husbands or male relatives in all things, including their clothing choices.

The underlined part explains why slavery is triggered - being obliged to obey in all things constitutes slavery, I reckon.

However, we're discussing this policy backstage at present regarding a separate issue, and I'll add this to the mix. We're trying to pin down a more concrete definition for the policy for grey area cases like this.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:44 am

MercuriusEudoro wrote:India, for example, has forced marriage, but not widespread slavery.

India has arranged marriages, but not [legally] forced marriage: There's a difference.

Tomandell
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tomandell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 am

I have no prisons in this nation, yet the first option for issue 420 mentions something about "getting away with things that would put us regular folk in jail". Should this be changed? I think there are two different possible results for this first option (sent to jail or as I got, to rehab), suggesting it has been identified previously, but should the wording here be amended for those without jails?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:00 am

Tomandell wrote:I have no prisons in this nation, yet the first option for issue 420 mentions something about "getting away with things that would put us regular folk in jail". Should this be changed? I think there are two different possible results for this first option (sent to jail or as I got, to rehab), suggesting it has been identified previously, but should the wording here be amended for those without jails?

I've altered the wording so it no longer mentions "jail" in the No Prison option.

Thanks for spotting this.

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #1108

Postby Lamebrainia » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:30 am

Why does option #3 (compulsory drinking) decrease recreational drug use?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:48 am

Lamebrainia wrote:Why does option #3 (compulsory drinking) decrease recreational drug use?

Firstly, please report unusual stat effects in this thread in future. The "Help Us Fix Old Issues" thread is for objective errors in spelling and grammar, and suspected errors with macros and validities.

This effect is due to a secondary stat. The game automatically links lower civil rights (as may occur when forcing people -- including children -- to drink, as this option does; and which occurred with your nation) with lower recreational drug use. It's a known bug.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:22 pm

I just got issue 496 Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide and I was wondering about the meaning of this line
Suicide must be made illegal, and only the ultimate punishment will deter people from this sin. We need to teach our children that life, regardless of how much you’re suffering, is always the answer.”
What would be the ultimate punishment in this case? Normally I would use this to refer to capital punishment but since this is dealing with a suicide offender this doesn't seem to fit.
(This might be the wrong forum but I don't know where I would put a comment like this)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:44 pm

New Ladavia wrote:I just got issue 496 Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide and I was wondering about the meaning of this line
Suicide must be made illegal, and only the ultimate punishment will deter people from this sin. We need to teach our children that life, regardless of how much you’re suffering, is always the answer.”
What would be the ultimate punishment in this case? Normally I would use this to refer to capital punishment but since this is dealing with a suicide offender this doesn't seem to fit.
(This might be the wrong forum but I don't know where I would put a comment like this)
Yes, this is referring to capital punishment. Yes, death penalty for suicide is silly. That's the joke.

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:59 pm

It even says this in issue 0. I don't find it that funny but to each there own.

Head Vicuna
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Head Vicuna » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:00 pm

I just had a funny encounter in issue 528. It's possible it is pure coincidence, but given the odds, I'm guessing it may be a macro with crossed wires.

Option 1 started with “Ain’t nobody got the right to spy on my kin!” shouts Nelson Black..."

Option 2 started with “Wait, what? What’s your beef with drones?” says Nelson Black..."

Funny if true, but those two random names might be linked by mistake.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Head Vicuna wrote:I just had a funny encounter in issue 528. It's possible it is pure coincidence, but given the odds, I'm guessing it may be a macro with crossed wires.

Option 1 started with “Ain’t nobody got the right to spy on my kin!” shouts Nelson Black..."

Option 2 started with “Wait, what? What’s your beef with drones?” says Nelson Black..."

Funny if true, but those two random names might be linked by mistake.

You're right.

It's because the actual options 1 and 2 are doppelganger options but some editor with a desire for consistency decided to make option 2 use the same name as option 1. Of course, if only option 2 is generated for a nation, then the @@name(1)@@ check instead looks forward to the first randomised name which would then be option 3.

Have fixed this by disconnecting the names in the two doppelgangers, making them random and separate.

Do mention if you see this sort of duplication elsewhere. While coincidental matching is possible its extremely unlikely.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:38 am

Great, thanks CWA, and will do! (obo Head Vicuna, one of my alts).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?