NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:05 am

I realize this is a weird corner case, but the result blurb for 845.4, "the government-sponsored autobiography 'A(n) @@LEADER@@ For All Seasons' has only been bought by the most loyal of @@LEADER@@'s supporters," doesn't properly detect my leader's 'Æ' initial character as a vowel. i.e., it's "A Æþelwulf v cyning" rather than "An Æþelwulf v cyning" as it should be. If I change my leader's name to "AEþelwulf v cyning", it works properly.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:09 am

Take that one to technical, I think, as it's to do with coding on the macros.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:51 am

Issue #56 option 2 (cut all subsidies to special interest groups) results in an increse to business subsidization.

Shurely shome mishtake?
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:Issue #56 option 2 (cut all subsidies to special interest groups) results in an increse to business subsidization.

Shurely shome mishtake?

Business subsidisation is a secondary stat. Basically, the option supports capitalism over the arts (the speaker is from the Capitalism Now Party), by giving a tax cut. This generally -- taking into consideration interactions with your own stats -- causes a knock-on boost to various areas of the economy (with the exception of culture, publication and education areas of the economy -- which all saw a decline in your stats).

If it helps, you could think of it in-character this way: business-owners are putting their tax-cut back into their businesses.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 am

A tax cut is not the same as subsidization.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:15 am

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:A tax cut is not the same as subsidization.

I explained the real answer: it's a secondary stat, partially related to the tax cut, interacting with other stats and your own stats. "Investing the tax cut" was just a little IC way for you to think of it -- sometimes it helps to think of it in IC terms.

Basically, keeping it strictly OOC, it's working as expected and there's nothing to be changed.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:A tax cut is not the same as subsidization.

Also from the FAQ of the unusual issue result thread
The tax model of the game is very simplistic, and it basically abstracts all spending as income tax and doesn't take into account any idea of government borrowing, deficit spending or tax from sources other than income tax.

Corporation tax is rolled into business subsidisation, with lowering of corporate tax representing an effective business subsidisation, and a shifting of tax burden onto the income taxpayer.

Shoistan
Civilian

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Shoistan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Trying to add a WA Delegate role to a Nation but it won't work. I can't change it. All it says is "Postion Vacant"

Pls help

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Shoistan wrote:Trying to add a WA Delegate role to a Nation but it won't work. I can't change it. All it says is "Postion Vacant"

Pls help

1. Should be in technical, not got issues. Got issues is for the issues you answer as part of the game, not problems you have
2. WA Delegate position can only be elected, not appointed. Whoever has the most WA endorsements in the region becomes the delegate after the region updates (which happens twice a day)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I can't believe that no one picked this up earlier. 479.3. How does the guy talk to you if he's riding in a car
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I can't believe that no one picked this up earlier. 479.3. How does the guy talk to you if he's riding in a car

@@LEADER@@ has been stopped by a demonstration. Nothing's moving. So I guess the car's parked. Or -- there are phones in this issue -- so he might be calling you from his phone.

I don't see a problem.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

Founded: May 02, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:05 am

I've searched around a bit but I wasn't sure what is the most suitable place to post on this particular topic, so I figured this place is the closest place. Earlier in this thread, the statement
The Free Joy State wrote:Please only use this thread to report objective mistakes with spelling, grammar or punctuation (and suspected errors in the validities or macros) and not subjective stylistic changes.

was made but I don't think my concern is purely stylistic.

With regards to the "No Sex" policy, the description says "Biological reproduction is prohibited," and the issues point to vat-based cloning of citizenry. However, the title also implies that the act itself (18+ topic so take the implication from here) is also banned; is that implication intended, or just a short way of saying the description (i.e. no sexual reproduction)? It's a bit confusing, I'd say.

If the implication is not intended maybe something like "Cloning: Citizens only reproduce by cloning." would be less prone to misinterpretation. Although, changing the policy would alter the way the policy is presented, from a ban to a permission.
Demonym: Stoklomolvi
Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation
Factbook -- Interpol -- Liaoism (old) -- News Agency (old) -- Commerce Comissariat -- Minyang
Defensive Preparedness: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Nuclear Launch Protocol: А | Б | В | Г | Д
Leader: Commissar Vladimir Mikhailovich Stuyonovich

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:09 am

Stoklomolvi wrote:I've searched around a bit but I wasn't sure what is the most suitable place to post on this particular topic, so I figured this place is the closest place. Earlier in this thread, the statement
The Free Joy State wrote:Please only use this thread to report objective mistakes with spelling, grammar or punctuation (and suspected errors in the validities or macros) and not subjective stylistic changes.

was made but I don't think my concern is purely stylistic.

With regards to the "No Sex" policy, the description says "Biological reproduction is prohibited," and the issues point to vat-based cloning of citizenry. However, the title also implies that the act itself (18+ topic so take the implication from here) is also banned; is that implication intended, or just a short way of saying the description (i.e. no sexual reproduction)? It's a bit confusing, I'd say.

If the implication is not intended maybe something like "Cloning: Citizens only reproduce by cloning." would be less prone to misinterpretation. Although, changing the policy would alter the way the policy is presented, from a ban to a permission.

The No Sex policy does not outlaw the sex act. It outlaws having children by biological reproduction. People can still have recreational sex.

It is possible, however, for No Sex to appear with/without No Abortion, and No Contraception.

We did discuss changing the policy dependencies, but thought that took too much autonomy away from the player. I do have this draft backstage waiting for an editor to pick it up, designed to clarify the No Sex policy.

If you want to discuss renaming the policy, I can only suggest you start a new thread, here or in Technical.

Worth saying that editors can't rename the gameside policies ourselves, so the technical site staff would have to do it. They're very busy people, so -- even if you started a discussion and it turned out that the No Sex was a common cause of confusion and there was popular call for changing the name -- there's no guarantee it would happen and it might take a very long time if it did.

EDIT: Actually, if you could wait a few days before you start a thread (assuming you find the confusion significant enough to do that)? I've had an idea I'd like to take backstage that may help with future confusion.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:29 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I can't believe that no one picked this up earlier. 479.3. How does the guy talk to you if he's riding in a car

@@LEADER@@ has been stopped by a demonstration. Nothing's moving. So I guess the car's parked. Or -- there are phones in this issue -- so he might be calling you from his phone.

I don't see a problem.

Fair enough. Carry on
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Stoklomolvi
Minister

Founded: May 02, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:04 am

Sure thing, The Free Joy State. I would imagine that most people don't use vats and as such would not have any confusion, but I'll wait a few days and make a thread. Also, I like that issue draft.
Demonym: Stoklomolvi
Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation
Factbook -- Interpol -- Liaoism (old) -- News Agency (old) -- Commerce Comissariat -- Minyang
Defensive Preparedness: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Nuclear Launch Protocol: А | Б | В | Г | Д
Leader: Commissar Vladimir Mikhailovich Stuyonovich

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:39 am

I encountered issue 839. I chose an option in an issue that abolished political parties, so I shouldn't be getting this.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:00 am

Krogon wrote:I encountered issue 839. I chose an option in an issue that abolished political parties, so I shouldn't be getting this.

Fair point. I presume your'e referring to 657.3, where all political parties are scrapped and everyone is forced to run as an independent.

That decision is one of many that isn't tracked as a hard policy within the simulation, so basically narrative inconsistencies are inevitable. There's a lot of narrative granularity gaps of this sort in NS, and we've only really started caring about them recently.

Possibly it is a decision that we ought to be hard-tracking, but at present it isn't. To make it worth hard-tracking what we really would need to see is a "reversal issue" that would reinstate political parties. We could then retrospectively add the code for that policy to exist, and go through the issue base for all the appropriate issue exclusions and option validity checks.

As there's 182 flags of the word "party" in the issue base, that'd likely be a big job, but it's one we'd take on if there was a quality reversal issue existing. Granularity may be missing in many places, but it can always be added if there's a good story to justify the work.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:18 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Krogon wrote:I encountered issue 839. I chose an option in an issue that abolished political parties, so I shouldn't be getting this.

Fair point. I presume your'e referring to 657.3, where all political parties are scrapped and everyone is forced to run as an independent.

That decision is one of many that isn't tracked as a hard policy within the simulation, so basically narrative inconsistencies are inevitable. There's a lot of narrative granularity gaps of this sort in NS, and we've only really started caring about them recently.

Possibly it is a decision that we ought to be hard-tracking, but at present it isn't. To make it worth hard-tracking what we really would need to see is a "reversal issue" that would reinstate political parties. We could then retrospectively add the code for that policy to exist, and go through the issue base for all the appropriate issue exclusions and option validity checks.

As there's 182 flags of the word "party" in the issue base, that'd likely be a big job, but it's one we'd take on if there was a quality reversal issue existing. Granularity may be missing in many places, but it can always be added if there's a good story to justify the work.

That gives me an idea for a follow up issue...

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25 pm

I think that banning political parties is hard to do. The US was never intended to have political parties from the beginning, but it ended up with them anyway.

Some voting systems, such as proportional representation, inherently depend on the recognition of parties. However, even if parties aren't officially recognized by the voting authorities, that doesn't stop candidates from unofficially affiliating with each other to help like-minded politicians run.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:49 pm

That idea's been in my list for forever.

Finally got it written today, and I didn't even know this conversation existed until just now. >_>
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:08 am

Trotterdam wrote:I think that banning political parties is hard to do. The US was never intended to have political parties from the beginning, but it ended up with them anyway.

Some voting systems, such as proportional representation, inherently depend on the recognition of parties. However, even if parties aren't officially recognized by the voting authorities, that doesn't stop candidates from unofficially affiliating with each other to help like-minded politicians run.

For sure, that's the natural sequel. Political parties get banned, politicians start forming unofficial conspiracies instead. If I was going to write a follow up / reversal, that's where I'd go.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 am

That is genuinely what both Krogon and I did. :lol:

After discussing it, he's letting me take the reins on it,
though if ever he wants to enter a co-authorship he may. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Immortal Kriegizstan
Civilian

Founded: Sep 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Immortal Kriegizstan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:01 pm

I got that issue about street preachers and being an anti-theistic nation I chose to ban them... which somehow gave me the "Theocracy" policy. I fail to see how banning street preaching makes you a theocracy.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:00 pm

Immortal Kriegizstan wrote:I got that issue about street preachers and being an anti-theistic nation I chose to ban them... which somehow gave me the "Theocracy" policy. I fail to see how banning street preaching makes you a theocracy.

Please raise unusual policies effects in the Unusual Effects Thread in future.

As for the issue you describe, this is a known bug that we are aware of and which is undergoing discussion backstage. From the OP of the linked thread:

"Why did THIS policy switch on or turn off out of line with the issue's story?"

It may be an error, and something to report here. However, it may not. Read the below information first.

The following policies are not on/off binary flags directed by issue editors, but rather were implemented to change when your nation crosses above or below a certain threshold in various freedoms:

[...]

Another example is Theocracy which indicated minimum freedom in choosing your religion, but actions that endorse being free to practice according to your religion are considered pro-freedom on the same scale. This therefore causes a weird situation where a pro-religious choice can deactivate theocracy.

These things are still in discussion backstage, as clearly this is creating narrative disconnects.

Unfortunately, right now, it's something we all have to live with.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Issue 0000 is a bit bias against elderly gun nuts, especially considering that we have issues in favour of said gun nuts

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?